Blue Sky and Indian Summer Trail

moderate 81 reviews

Blue Sky and Indian Summer Trail is a 15.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Fort Collins, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 15.6 miles Elevation Gain: 1,771 feet Route Type: Out & Back

fee

$9 parking fee.

I am a rookie mtn biker...had to walk the bike in several areas...but lots of great spots to cruise and work on your skills. Very beautiful...great views...breathtaking! Did the north lot to the loop. That loop is a difficult climb cardio wise. With, at my skill level, some parts to walk on the down hill run. It's an exciting and beautiful ride...I love this place!

narrow trail, lots of friendly bikers, no shade, not strenuous, $9.00 fee, $20.00 if you get a ticket for not paying, we bought 12 month pass for $90.00, $65.00 age 65, well worth it for avid hikers. remember, very narrow trail in sun.

Nice hike! Lots of open space. Not very crowded with occasional bikers passing by. Dog friendly as well.

I did a 5 mile trail run while my girlfriend biked. This is a wonderful trail for mountain bikers! Everyone else...not so much. While beautiful there is no shade and it’s pretty crowded with bikers flying through. Best in fall or spring for hikers

Nice trail - dirt and rocks - well maintained. Would recommend early or with cloud cover. There is no shade. Many mountain bikes. One snake - not a rattler but 5-6 ft. Beautiful wild flowers and valley views. We went 3+ miles in.

About 8 miles done of the trail. Brought our 2 pups, lots of mtn bikers but everyone was respectful and friendly. Not much shade for the pups so bring extra water

Wed Oct 03 2018

Great biking trail. It's good for learning technical with plenty of spots to just cruise.

Wed Jul 04 2018

Pretty views of the ridge (lots of houses and a road on the other side), easy enough trail, but no shade. Lots of bikers. As always, have to watch for snakes.

Wed Mar 28 2018

straight and narrow. lots of bikers. no shade so wear sunscreen.

Sun Mar 25 2018

I live right next to it and it’s my go to trail I love the challenges with the horses it gives me with the bridges and edges

Sun Jan 21 2018

Clean, beautiful trail!

Thu Jan 11 2018

Flat, well maintained, adjacent to a county road for the first hour or so walking in. Peaceful but sporadic bikers.

Sat Nov 25 2017

This is an easy trail with a few inclines and some rocky areas. My big complaint with it is that it’s very narrow once you get about a half mile from the trailhead and there’s a lot of mountain bikers using the trail as well. To avoid being run over I had to pay more attention to whether or not there was a mountain bike flying around a blind corner than enjoying the scenery. The thing I really do enjoy about the trail is that it links up with trails connected to Bobcat Ridge and Devil’s Backbone.

Wed Jun 07 2017

Lots of mountain bikes made this trail far too busy, especially with a dog that is hard to pull out of the way in time for fast-moving bikes. The whole thing is quite sun exposed as well. Not a great choice as a hiker.

Tue May 30 2017

This is a great trail for young ones! My six year old loves walking this area.

Mon May 22 2017

decent family hike maybe, some decent views but too many houses and roads near the trail.

Wed May 17 2017

Easy walking trail with very little shade. There were more mountain bikers on the trail than hikers.

Fri Apr 14 2017

I would rate this easy vs moderate, for hiking...

Fri Oct 14 2016

Loved the trail and the view. I hiked it but I think a mountain bike is more the idea on this one.

Wed Jun 29 2016

Super fun! Perfect for all levels. Connects to Lory state park and coyote ridge areas.

Sun Jun 05 2016

Was fun for mountain biking, was pretty hot and not any shade spots. Would be better to hit it earlier in the morning or later in the evening if you want to avoid the heat.

Sat May 28 2016

A good mountain biking trail especially when paired with the Indian summer loop. Not very exciting for hiking.

Sun Sep 20 2015

One of my least favorite hiking trails near Ft Collins. It's pretty flat and not overly challenging. Probably good if you are hiking with kids though. I was disappointed that for the first two miles or so the trail basically parallels a dirt road. And you have to pay $6 to park. I'd recommend starting your hike at Coyote Ridge or Devil's Backbone. No fee to park and much more challenging/prettier. I don't mountain bike but this seemed like a trail more tailored to bikers.

Thu Jul 30 2015

Great single track with some technical spots, but some fast spots as well. My first time mountain biking in Colorado and it didn't disappoint! Lots of little side trails along the way. Check it out on bike or foot.

Tue Sep 04 2012

This was my first "real" experience mountain biking, and I absolutely loved it! There are a lot of experienced mountain bikers that cruise through quickly and connect to Indian Summers (?) trail for a longer ride. There were plenty of people on the trail hiking, biking, running, etc, but I was there mid-morning on the Sunday of Labor Day weekend, so I'm not sure if this is typical or not. To use this trail is a $6 fee at the trailhead. I completed the out-and-back portion of the Blue Sky Trail which included a pretty decent incline and after about 1.5 some really good rollers that were fun. I think this is a great trail for beginners on bikes as it includes the best and worst of biking and isn't insanely long and my experienced friends like it for quick and fun rides. I don't know if I'd be stoked to hike it on a hot day as there is NO coverage/shade at all.