Blue Sky and Indian Summer Trail

Blue Sky and Indian Summer Trail is a 15.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Fort Collins, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

$6 parking fee

straight and narrow. lots of bikers. no shade so wear sunscreen.

I live right next to it and it’s my go to trail I love the challenges with the horses it gives me with the bridges and edges

Clean, beautiful trail!

Flat, well maintained, adjacent to a county road for the first hour or so walking in. Peaceful but sporadic bikers.

This is an easy trail with a few inclines and some rocky areas. My big complaint with it is that it’s very narrow once you get about a half mile from the trailhead and there’s a lot of mountain bikers using the trail as well. To avoid being run over I had to pay more attention to whether or not there was a mountain bike flying around a blind corner than enjoying the scenery. The thing I really do enjoy about the trail is that it links up with trails connected to Bobcat Ridge and Devil’s Backbone.

Lots of mountain bikes made this trail far too busy, especially with a dog that is hard to pull out of the way in time for fast-moving bikes. The whole thing is quite sun exposed as well. Not a great choice as a hiker.

This is a great trail for young ones! My six year old loves walking this area.

decent family hike maybe, some decent views but too many houses and roads near the trail.

Easy walking trail with very little shade. There were more mountain bikers on the trail than hikers.

Friday, April 14, 2017

I would rate this easy vs moderate, for hiking...

Friday, October 14, 2016

Loved the trail and the view. I hiked it but I think a mountain bike is more the idea on this one.

Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Super fun! Perfect for all levels. Connects to Lory state park and coyote ridge areas.

Sunday, June 05, 2016

Was fun for mountain biking, was pretty hot and not any shade spots. Would be better to hit it earlier in the morning or later in the evening if you want to avoid the heat.

Saturday, May 28, 2016

A good mountain biking trail especially when paired with the Indian summer loop. Not very exciting for hiking.

Sunday, September 20, 2015

One of my least favorite hiking trails near Ft Collins. It's pretty flat and not overly challenging. Probably good if you are hiking with kids though. I was disappointed that for the first two miles or so the trail basically parallels a dirt road. And you have to pay $6 to park. I'd recommend starting your hike at Coyote Ridge or Devil's Backbone. No fee to park and much more challenging/prettier. I don't mountain bike but this seemed like a trail more tailored to bikers.

Thursday, July 30, 2015

Great single track with some technical spots, but some fast spots as well. My first time mountain biking in Colorado and it didn't disappoint! Lots of little side trails along the way. Check it out on bike or foot.

Tuesday, September 04, 2012

This was my first "real" experience mountain biking, and I absolutely loved it! There are a lot of experienced mountain bikers that cruise through quickly and connect to Indian Summers (?) trail for a longer ride. There were plenty of people on the trail hiking, biking, running, etc, but I was there mid-morning on the Sunday of Labor Day weekend, so I'm not sure if this is typical or not. To use this trail is a $6 fee at the trailhead. I completed the out-and-back portion of the Blue Sky Trail which included a pretty decent incline and after about 1.5 some really good rollers that were fun. I think this is a great trail for beginners on bikes as it includes the best and worst of biking and isn't insanely long and my experienced friends like it for quick and fun rides. I don't know if I'd be stoked to hike it on a hot day as there is NO coverage/shade at all.

Tuesday, March 14, 2017