Blue Lakes Trail

Blue Lakes Trail is a 7.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Ridgway, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, fly fishing, horses, and snowshoeing and is best used from June until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The Blue Lakes are located in a glacial basin in southwest Colorado in the Mount Sneffels Wilderness. A gorgeous alpine hike with wildflower-filled meadows, and impressive views this trail is not to be missed. There are three lakes in the basin - the middle and upper have the best views. This is an easy day hike but the lowest lake has several campgrounds along the shore for those who wish to spend the night. Visitors can park at the Blue lake Trailhead off County Road 7.

One of my favorite trails that I've hiked. Weather was perfect when we started our hike and turned into sleet and snow when we made it to the lake. Prepare of all conditions in the spring and fall. We saw moose, deer and lots of little critters. There was very few people one the trail when we went and very peaceful.

Be sure to go to the third lake lakes two and three are above tree line. Camp near lake one. Lake one to top of my snedfles is 8.5 mile and can take 8-10 hour if you go over the ridge and down.

Hiked up to the lower lake this past weekend. Microspikes were helpful. I wore gaiters, but my partner was fine with just waterproof pants. We continued on to the second lake with the goal of making it up the pass and encountered pretty deep snow. The trail was snowed over completely and there was a good amount of post-holing and route-navigation. A snowstorm began mid-way through our hike and continued for hours so I'd expect a lot more of the trail might be covered by now. Didn't see any other parties though.

I think the "Hard" rating is a bit generous unless you don't normally hike at this altitude and grade.

This is a beautiful very busy trail after a long ride on Dallas Creek Road parking can be extremely difficult.

Hiked today, 10/29/18. Take county road 7 (Dallas creek) literally until it ends. Its a bit further than the directions tell you-- but no worries you get there. I started my hike at 9:45am and reached the second lake in 3 hours. Just about 2 miles in (around the Mt. Sneffels wilderness sign) I stopped and put on my micro spikes and gaiters. Gaiters weren't needed until the VERY end and spikes were hit or miss but it definitely made it much easier to maneuver.

I made it easily to the lower lake and it was GORGEOUS. I continued on upwards to the second lake and the views of the lower lake were incredible. The snow drift was quite strong and foot prints started to get scarce and it also felt like I was being pelted with small ice from the winds on the back side of the mountain. I looked at the second lake and it was 70% frozen over so I decided to turn back as I was hiking alone. It is definitely worth traveling up there for the views of the lower lake though! If you go that high definitely spikes and gaiters this time of year!

Definitely beautiful. I only saw 2 other hikers all day which was amazing =)

Lots of variety. Spectacular lake.

My fiancée and I took on this trail. I did it a couple years ago in September and loved it so I wanted to share it with her. She had never really hiked before, so with a lot of perseverance we made it to the lower lake. She said the trail was challenging but satisfying, the lake was worth the hike and the people were exceedingly friendly. She was glad we got her some high quality hiking boots and socks. Being from Missouri, we sucked a lot of air, but we used a neat little portable oxygen tank we found at the store and made it without too much trouble. I would highly recommend these to those without experience hiking at altitude. It made a big difference. The aspens were beautiful. The vistas were outstanding. We saw marmots, a couple cow elk, a grouse, a trout in the lake and countless songbirds.

Beautiful hike with color around every turn. The only reason to go past the first lake is to see it from above, absolutely awesome, the other two lakes are major waste of your time and energy

Disappointing trail, gorgeous lake destination. Did this hike September 26. 90 per cent of this trail is through dense forest with no vistas - you could be in an evergreen forest anywhere in Colorado. Extremely overused trail, not well maintained and poorly designed, employing steep straight up gradients where switchbacks should have been built. No fall color here and in late September obviously no wildflowers. Blue Lakes are in a beautiful setting, especially Lower - with cinnamon orange slopes framing the lake to the east, sharp snowy peak and talus slope to the south. Try Ice Lake Basin nearby for a far superior trail, though harder.

Beautiful hike!

Awesome hike. Pretty for sure. Pretty tough with a 30lbs pack on though.

Absolutely beautiful hike!!

I hiked to the bottom lake on 15 September 2018. I probably should not have. wasnt ready for this trail. lol. know your limitations, then pass them by. awesome hike. so beautiful. friendly people along the way. 3 hours to the first lake for me. 2.5 hours back down. my goal is to get down to 1.5 hours going up. definitely recommend this hike. dont quit. the view is worth the a fib. lol

This is one of the most enjoyable hikes I have ever done. Gorgeous views the whole way. Mild ascent to the first lake followed by a short (but steep) climb to the upper lakes. Hiked this trail on 9/15 to enjoy the fall colors.

This was my first ever backpacking experience. Nothing will make you feel like you over packed quite like this incline! It was definitely hard but so worth the trek. We went the Thursday and Friday before Labor Day to avoid the weekend camping crowd. The views and feeling of seclusion was a great way to round out summer. You can’t have fires up in the campground area, so be sure to pack some fuel for a camp stove and pack layers. It was fairly windy most of our stay there, but being in the tent at night was plenty cozy.

This hike was beautiful! It was my first backpacking trip and I was not disappointed! The day I went, there was a chance of a storm... luckily there wasn’t. My friends and I truly enjoyed it! Awwwww sooo fun! The incline was a little strenuous, but nothing too difficult!

Busy area and trail but very beautiful. I thought the atv's were loud until a car full of tourists showed up around 6 a.m. On my way down, a group of young white people, whom thought I was out of earshot or just didn't care, started making fun of how I looked. Sad way to end the day but everyone else I crossed trails with earlier in the day, was very kind.

Great hike. Went up to the pass. The trail is very well maintained until the trail goes above the vegetation line. It's a little rough above that but very doable until the pass.

Outstanding hike. First part is a pretty decent incline but after mile 2 or so it isn't too bad. The climb from the lower lake to the second lake is, once again, a pretty decent incline but the payoff of the view makes it all worth it. Lower lake is aqua blue and crystal clear. Upper lakes are still amazing but totally different feel than the lower. Ran into quite few groups of hikers but never felt "crowded" by any means.

Beautiful hike!

Great hike. Arrived Sat morning at 10 am had a few parking spots available. We hiked past the 1st lake to the overlook above the lake. Amazing views! Steep incline thru most of the trail. Took us 5 hours to complete.

One of the most beautiful hikes I've ever been on. The hike to the lakes is uphill the entire way. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I had some people say it flattens out some, it doesn't. I took a 35lb pack to stay overnight. I recommend you save as much weight as you can. That being said, I will do it again, and as many times as I can.

Amazing trail! I loved the views. I would definitely go early in the morning to avoid the crowds. I started my hike at 6. Definitely venture up to the upper lakes. You’ll get an amazing view of Blue Lake and the upper two lakes are pretty in their own way. The hike up to the upper lakes is hard but totally worth it.

I was here two weeks ago and would note that I ran into a small cub while driving up to the trailhead. Instead of moving on the cub kind of chilled in the middle of the road. Where there is a baby cub there is a momma bear so be on the lookout!

awesome hike

We do this hike every year we come to CO for the Telluride Film Festival and it always exceeds expectations over and over...!

Heck of a hike. Wished they had distance markers set up to give you a better idea of pace and how much further to go. The views were incredible though. Best I’ve seen in Colorado.

this was a gorgeous hike! stunning views around every corner. I'm not in bad shape but not great either(mainly due to smoking). I only hiked to the first lake and back but it took me a little over 2 hours to get there and a little over a hour to get back. I'm not from Colorado and I defentialy noticed the elevation, a little light headed here and there. I can't say enough good things though, it was truly beautiful. I will definitely do this hike again and next time I'll make it all the way

I drove my truck to the trailhead of Blue Lakes/Bridal Veils trail (where the old Mill or house-looking thing at the top of the falls is). Then I started the hike to Blue Lake, which wasn't easy but well worth the climbing. Posting some pictures...