Blue Lakes Trail is a 1.6 kilometer heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Breckenridge, Colorado that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 1.6 km Elevation Gain: 33 m Route Type: Out & Back

Note: This trail is entirely on gravel roads around the Blue Lakes. There are 2 parking areas, one above the dam and one below. The road leading to the trailhead can be difficult for 2WD vehicles.

Great easy trail with some amazing views! The snow makes it sooo beautiful!!! It is very chilly so bundle up appropriately! We went near the end of May

A quickie w lotsa snow

closed

The drive was beautiful. But it’s May 8th & the road up to the reservoir/lake is snowed out. 2WD is a slow climb going up but fun. Beautiful views must come back around August.

icy

We went in October last year and it was absolutely beautiful!

We hiked Blue Lakes Trail on 10/27/19 around 3:30 in the afternoon, and it was beautiful! Pictures do not do it justice. It was a short, very doable little hike, all on a flat gravel road for easy footing. Going up we had to stop and rest a few times as we are from Ohio and not acclimated to the altitude yet, but coming down was a breeze. Overall, we took our time, stopping for several photos and rests, and just to take in the views, and it took us about 1 hour and 40 min, but it could definitely be done quicker. We had the whole trail completely to ourselves, not another car in the parking lot. I am so glad we hiked this trail!

Easy trail. Pictures don’t do it justice. Great views! Snowy when we went Oct 24, but very manageable. If looking for an easy hike with great views we suggest this hike! Go on a clear day.

My family and I hiked this without problem. I have a gimpy ankle and with my brace was still able to access this trail. Definitely worth it. The views are fantastic and we met a couple of marmots along the way.

This is a nice easy trail that avoids a lot of traffic. It’s got some great hidden views, and is fun to hike. It does get really rocky in places, so would suggest to make sure having decent shoes.

Beautiful view; saw mountain sheep up top.

Cool point of interest and nice view if you can get around the Reservoir fence. Dirt road does not require a 4X4, but i was surprised at the poor state of the road. We were in a Mini Cooper, so I assume everyone else will be fine, but just keep in mind if you are driving up here in your Ferrari.

Turns out I’m not a mountain goat. Too many rock fields for me.

Beautiful views, but sections of the trail are very rocky and we’re difficult to pass.

The drive to the lakes is on a gravel road, we had a small SUV and we were fine (July 9), but some big pot holes. The lower lake is beautiful, can park and walk a short distance to the lake, lots of areas to sit and rest on big rocks. Then can drive to the upper lake parking lot, which is also a gravel road. We saw a mountain goat up at the upper lake and lots of marmots. Once you park at the upper lake, it’s a steep uphill walk up gravel and rocks. But it’s a short walk up, and it’s a trailhead for quandary peak. Absolutely beautiful above tree line views!

You can make it as hard or as easy as you want! I climbed up the rocks a good bit to increase the difficulty and better the views! I had my dog and he loved the snow patches.

Nice easy trail to get some good views. Didn’t see any mountain goats but lots of marmots!

We hiked this two days ago with our dogs. Be prepared for much cooler temps as the wind really blows chilly off the slopes around the upper lake. The trail is not well marked and disappears frequently. There are numerous rock scrambles across the trail. The snow field prevented us from going very far up on this trail. That said, the views are beautiful and we saw a few mountain goats!

Took this trail 7/12 with my 8-year old daughter. We loved it. Hiked to the waterfall and ate lunch by the lake. Easy hike, but when we were there not accessible from the parking lot as there was water running across the beginning of the trial. There is a small marker further up the road leading to the lake that marked a road giving access to the other side of the trial and made reaching the waterfall easier.

Still a couple of snow fields across the trail, didn’t make it past the inlet due to high water. Beautiful views.

June 7th drove up and parked and viewed the blue lakes..Really cool area. people fishing in lower lake and saw 4 goats including a small one. It may have been seen on many occasions but we also saw a black footed ferrett when ascending and thought maybe it was something else. slowed down at the same spot when leaving and saw it again. I read there are only a couple hundred in the wild so pretty amazing.

Visited on 7/6/19. A good area for views of the mountains, Quandary and mountain goats without having to do much walking at all. Like other reviewers said, you can hop on the Quandary trail and go as far out as you want or just stay by the parking area and enjoy the views from there. Pretty chilly up there even when Breck is warm, so be sure to bring some layers.

Great for families with kids. The out and back portion (and the part that actually feels like a hike) is the beginning of the West Trail for Quandary and pairs beautiful lake views with some light rock scrambling and snow patches. Today, you could see a dozen different mountain goats up the mountain as well as marmots on trail.

Great for a wonderful vista and scrambling over some rocks & snow.