Blue Lakes Trail

Blue Lakes Trail is a 3.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Breckenridge, Colorado that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

hiway 9 , Through Breckenridge, Through Blue River too 850 blue lakes rd.

Fun and easy. Very cool waterfall. Great views!

Awesome. Easy walk with beautiful wildflowers

Great mountain views. Waterfall views. Good for kids.

The trail on the map is pretty easy. But there is a much better one above the damn. Think the comments are a combination from both trails. Drive past the trail head on the map to the dam. The trail is on the right side of the dam lake. Lots of rocks to climbs but beautiful views.

We took this walk as our get acclimated hike 48 hours into our stay in the mountains. Very easy walk up the road to the dam with beautiful views all the way. Saw a Marmot and spent some quality time with a mountain goat near the dam. The road from the lower lake to the dam is actually better than from highway 9 to the lower lake. So next time we will make the drive up to the dam and hike beyond it, as there are interesting things to see. Loved walking right next to a 14er that seemed both imposing and beautiful. Edit: live and learn. Technically speaking the blue lakes trail really doesn’t begin until you reach the dam. It is located on the north side of the dam. That makes more sense. But still, the walk up the dirt road to get there is beautiful. Glad we did it.

I'm giving this 5 stars, but because of the views, not the hiking. As others have said, this isn't really a hike. It's a great place to go for amazing views with minimal exertion, making it accessible to those who are not able to do real hikes but still want to a chance to experience amazing scenery.

This is a great trail for all ages. Lots of wildlife and the views are spectacular!

The trail is either overgrown or really rocky, depending on what part. Beautiful views if you persevere. You can get pretty far up the valley following a small trail- much farther than what the current trail map shows. The wildflowers are gorgeous, and there are several streams that you’ll run into as well.

There's several ways to approach this in the summer. drive to the dam below the 2nd lake. It's not a trail, but an actual rooad. There are Forest Service Trails beyond the dam that are un maintained, but you can follow them. Many waterfalls and creeks feeding the lake, The trail will take you up above 12,000'. Many signs of wildlife and of course goats. Worth the effort!

I suggest walking down the road to the lake then hiking through the trees and up the waterfall. We also saw a moose down by the abandoned house. There is also a bunch of mountain goats at the top.

So many mountain goats (even a little baby one!) Once walking across the dam, take the path to the left behind the sign. Some of the slate has slid down and covered the path but it is easily traversible as long as you take your time and make sure you have steady footing. Not too far down the path is a waterfall and the higher up you go, the prettier it is! Saw all ages on this path as well and can modified at different points for different skill levels!

Nice views, not a difficult trail...more a walk up the road. Beautiful lakes, flowers, and even mountain goats.

Giving two stars for the mountain goats.

It’s not really a hike... just a walk up a road. I did the .6 off shoot next to the water and saw some old abandoned mining cabins, which were cool, but also not technically part of this hike.

The dam at the top has a beautiful view. I’m glad I went, but if I was planning a solid hike I would have been disappointed.

Definitely not a hike, has nothing to do with hiking. It’s an easy walk not moderate. The view from the dam is great also plenty of mountain goats. But you just walk up a dirty road that’s all.

Lots of mountain goats up by dam. Fun little hike. Good bouldering

Went today for my first time on 5/27/2018, It was pretty windy , lots of snow patches but me and my friend took some sketchy lines and went to the big round boulder rock to the top right of the mountain , it was worth the trek, great views , definitely want to go back in about a month when more of the snow will be gone so I can try and go farther up! We saw about 20 white mountain goats , they came around the cars in the parking lot , they were beautiful ! The lake water level seemed to be low , all in all, beautiful place to go see!

Counted 14 mountain goats today! Road was clear almost to the top of the lake before the snow was too far across the road. May 12, 2018.

I would rate this hike as easy rather than moderate. The hike is essentially a walk on a gravel road.The highlights are mountain goat and marmot sightings as well as beautiful views of the lakes and waterfalls.

Can’t tell you how many times we’ve done this hike! We bring all of our out-of-state visitors there ages 23-60+. We’ve visited in every season and will continue to go back! Also close to downtown Breckenridge.

Mountain goats

Packed in 12/27 and set up camp in the woods below the first lake. Snow on road was 18' but compressed by skiers for part of the way. Snow in woods drifting to 4' where I built a snow shelter for the night. Trail up to the spillway ranged from bare ground to drifting to 24". First part of road you don't need anything but boots but if you wander out of the tracks you will need snowshoes. Everything frozen. No running water visible. Wind gusting to 20 mph. Beautiful sunny days and clear night.

Drifted sections with some bare spots on the south aspect trail of the lower lake. Nice trail with the current low snowpack. Waterfalls below upper lake are frozen. Snowshoed the trail well. Boot pack would be tough through some sections.

Not really a hike. Just a walk up a well maintained dirt road. Can actually drive to the lake. Many pretty hikes to chose from in Breckenridge.

Hiked 11/4, trail all snow. Awesome if you're looking for a quick hike. Beautiful lakes, waterfall, old mine house. Upper lakes accessible via car/road, so don't drive past the trailhead!

Great family hike! Beautiful, breathtaking views, easy hike

had good trails.

Great hike. We took our 1 year old and carried her the entire way. We also took our 3.5 year old who walked/hiked the entire way. Great family hike. Highly recommend.

Beautiful scenery!

Extremely beautiful hike. Somewhat short and not very challenging for an experienced hiker, but still very pretty. My girlfriend, her dog and I did this hike last Friday morning around 10 am and hiked around the bottom of the lower lake to the base of the waterfall. Incredible views of Quandary Peak, North Star Mountain and Wheeler Mountain. I would have liked to hike further, but my gf's dog is only 6 months old, so 1.5 miles round trip was more than enough to tucker him out. Once he's a bit more developed and we have some more time we will certainly explore this area a bit more.