Blue Lakes Trail

Blue Lakes Trail is a 7.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Ridgway, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, fly fishing, horses, and snowshoeing and is best used from June until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.9 miles Elevation Gain: 2,519 feet Route Type: Out & Back

The Blue Lakes are located in a glacial basin in southwest Colorado in the Mount Sneffels Wilderness. A gorgeous alpine hike with wildflower-filled meadows, and impressive views this trail is not to be missed. There are three lakes in the basin - the middle and upper have the best views. This is an easy day hike but the lowest lake has several campgrounds along the shore for those who wish to spend the night. Visitors can park at the Blue lake Trailhead off County Road 7.

1 hour ago

11/10 would recommend. Prettiest hike I have ever been on. The blue lake is surrounded by copious amounts of wildflowers, and there’s plenty of room for multiple tents in the area. I drove my Honda Civic and didn’t have any issues— would have been a little wary if it had rained because there’s a long gravel road on the way to the trailhead, but we lucked out. Bears are in the area, but if you use bear safety everything goes smoothly. All in all, it’s a great hike and we will be going back!

A low clearance vehicle would be able to make it to this trailhead fairly easily. The trail was well maintained but passed the creek is the avalanche field. The forest service has started to clean up the trail and it is possible to get to the lower lake. Micro spikes and trekking poles would be very useful but aren't necessary. The lake is starting to thaw but still is mostly frozen.

We made it to the lower lake. Lots of snow and a little dangerous after the avalanche area but doable. The snow melted a lot from one day to the next so it should be just a matter of time before it’s back! So beautiful!!!! The bottom of the waterfall was snow covered for about 500 ft and you can’t really tell if you’re standing on top of a river or not. You can see where the water disappears and re-emerges but nothing in between. So fun!! Be safe and stay warm.

We hiked today (6/20). About 1.5 miles in is the avalanche field. Like another reviewer said, stay high and go across the field to find where the trail picks back up. AllTrails will direct you with gps even with no service. After the avalanche field the trail is pretty much covered in snow the rest of the way to the lower lake, with a few dry spots. We hiked it in tennis shoes and no poles. We made it to the lower lake but it was difficult. Good shoes and poles would have made it easier for sure. The lower lake is still frozen over. The wild flowers are not blooming yet except on the lower half of the trail. I gave it 5 stars because we hiked it pretty much on the same day in June last year and it was absolutely beautiful. The potential is there. It will be beautiful in another few weeks I’m sure.

We attempted this hike 6/17 but turned around because of storms and difficulty finding the trail. On 6/19 we made it to the lower lake! The second half of the trail is snow covered- spikes and poles were extremely helpful. The trail is difficult to find after the avalanche field. The switchback is covered in snow so stay HIGH to find the trail back in the woods and trust AllTrails. It’s about 150 ft above the sole standing tree in the avalanche field. Once you’re back on the trail there are a few tricky spots and we relied on other hikers’ tracks. You’ll find the lower lake just after the water fall on your left! Well worth it for the beautiful views!!!

anyone done this in the past few days?

Any updates on snow/trail conditions?

Best hike in CO

Beautiful Trail. Will work your legs for sure, but keep pushing and the view at the top is amazing. Hiking stick/pole recommended as there are a few steep parts and helps on the way down.

Hiked on 6.09.19 still a lot of snow but we were able to post hole our way to the lower lake about 3.3 miles from trailhead. The lake was completely frozen over and covered in snow but views of Dallas Peak and Mt. Snefels was gorgeous! After attempting several other Alpine lake hikes in the area and failing to get anywhere near we were elated to make it up there. The views from the clearings and lake we're spectacular! I'm sure in later summer the wild flowers and blue lakes are unbelievable. I definitely recommend this hike, it's not to miss!

Sweet scent of fir and spruce forest, the music of cascading water and an emerald veil of trees with snow capped mountains beyond. Heaps of snow and drifts, so Lily (jack russell terrier) and I only went half way to first lake. Can't wait for it to melt! Be careful driving in as two high clearance vehicles (including a Subaru) got stuck just before the trailhead in a steep and snow covered part of the road in the shadows.

Still too much snow

this was my first plus 11k hike. loved it.

Just amazing gorgeous trail. Did this with my dog about 3 years ago. Superb

month

It’s all about them alpine lakes ya’ll. What a great place to spend a night. I made it up to the third lake but didn’t make it to the pass due to weather. Next time.

One of my favorite trails that I've hiked. Weather was perfect when we started our hike and turned into sleet and snow when we made it to the lake. Prepare of all conditions in the spring and fall. We saw moose, deer and lots of little critters. There was very few people one the trail when we went and very peaceful.

Be sure to go to the third lake lakes two and three are above tree line. Camp near lake one. Lake one to top of my snedfles is 8.5 mile and can take 8-10 hour if you go over the ridge and down.

Hiked up to the lower lake this past weekend. Microspikes were helpful. I wore gaiters, but my partner was fine with just waterproof pants. We continued on to the second lake with the goal of making it up the pass and encountered pretty deep snow. The trail was snowed over completely and there was a good amount of post-holing and route-navigation. A snowstorm began mid-way through our hike and continued for hours so I'd expect a lot more of the trail might be covered by now. Didn't see any other parties though. I think the "Hard" rating is a bit generous unless you don't normally hike at this altitude and grade.

This is a beautiful very busy trail after a long ride on Dallas Creek Road parking can be extremely difficult.

Hiked today, 10/29/18. Take county road 7 (Dallas creek) literally until it ends. Its a bit further than the directions tell you-- but no worries you get there. I started my hike at 9:45am and reached the second lake in 3 hours. Just about 2 miles in (around the Mt. Sneffels wilderness sign) I stopped and put on my micro spikes and gaiters. Gaiters weren't needed until the VERY end and spikes were hit or miss but it definitely made it much easier to maneuver. I made it easily to the lower lake and it was GORGEOUS. I continued on upwards to the second lake and the views of the lower lake were incredible. The snow drift was quite strong and foot prints started to get scarce and it also felt like I was being pelted with small ice from the winds on the back side of the mountain. I looked at the second lake and it was 70% frozen over so I decided to turn back as I was hiking alone. It is definitely worth traveling up there for the views of the lower lake though! If you go that high definitely spikes and gaiters this time of year! Definitely beautiful. I only saw 2 other hikers all day which was amazing =)

Lots of variety. Spectacular lake.

My fiancée and I took on this trail. I did it a couple years ago in September and loved it so I wanted to share it with her. She had never really hiked before, so with a lot of perseverance we made it to the lower lake. She said the trail was challenging but satisfying, the lake was worth the hike and the people were exceedingly friendly. She was glad we got her some high quality hiking boots and socks. Being from Missouri, we sucked a lot of air, but we used a neat little portable oxygen tank we found at the store and made it without too much trouble. I would highly recommend these to those without experience hiking at altitude. It made a big difference. The aspens were beautiful. The vistas were outstanding. We saw marmots, a couple cow elk, a grouse, a trout in the lake and countless songbirds.

Beautiful hike with color around every turn. The only reason to go past the first lake is to see it from above, absolutely awesome, the other two lakes are major waste of your time and energy

Disappointing trail, gorgeous lake destination. Did this hike September 26. 90 per cent of this trail is through dense forest with no vistas - you could be in an evergreen forest anywhere in Colorado. Extremely overused trail, not well maintained and poorly designed, employing steep straight up gradients where switchbacks should have been built. No fall color here and in late September obviously no wildflowers. Blue Lakes are in a beautiful setting, especially Lower - with cinnamon orange slopes framing the lake to the east, sharp snowy peak and talus slope to the south. Try Ice Lake Basin nearby for a far superior trail, though harder.

Beautiful hike!

Awesome hike. Pretty for sure. Pretty tough with a 30lbs pack on though.

Absolutely beautiful hike!!

I hiked to the bottom lake on 15 September 2018. I probably should not have. wasnt ready for this trail. lol. know your limitations, then pass them by. awesome hike. so beautiful. friendly people along the way. 3 hours to the first lake for me. 2.5 hours back down. my goal is to get down to 1.5 hours going up. definitely recommend this hike. dont quit. the view is worth the a fib. lol