Learn more

Blue Lakes Trail is a 7.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Ridgway, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, fly fishing, horses, and snowshoeing and is best used from June until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 7.9 mi Elevation gain 2,519 ft Route type Out & Back

Description
Waypoints (0)
Contact
Getting There

The Blue Lakes are located in a glacial basin in southwest Colorado in the Mount Sneffels Wilderness. A gorgeous alpine hike with wildflower-filled meadows, and impressive views this trail is not to be missed. There are three lakes in the basin - the middle and upper have the best views. This is an easy day hike but the lowest lake has several campgrounds along the shore for those who wish to spend the night. Visitors can park at the Blue lake Trailhead off County Road 7.

Colorado Tourism Office, 1625 Broadway, Suite 1700 , Denver, CO, 80202, Phone: 800-COLORADO

Directions from Highway 62: Take Dallas Creek Road fourteen miles to the Blue Lakes Trailhead.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (1094)
Photos (804)
Recordings (630)
Completed (1969)
Kylee Reynolds
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 13, 2020
Backpacking

Hiked this with my dog on a Tuesday morning where we beat the sun rising over the ridge and it was amazing no one around the first lake to ourselves the most peaceful moment I’ve had this year!!! Moderate hike to the first lake imo but we did go to the second which is, as a guy on the trail told me, “20 minutes of gutting it out” but again pure serenity and worth it!! If I were to do this again I would camp at the first lake and spend an entire day exploring the area it’s that amazing!!

Cena Hassanian
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 12, 2020
Hiking

First- it would be difficult to get here without a 4wd/awd but I did see a Prius in the parking lot which is crazy. Best hike ive done in Colorado, it’s long it’s tiring but it’s worth every second of it. Go to the upper lakes if you got the energy. But if you cant atleast go up to see the lower blue lake from above. Saw marmot bro and pikabro

View Cena's Recording
Bri Melton
HikingRocky

We only went to the lower lake. We wanted to go further, but we couldn't figure out how. The views were amazing. Also, I would recommend a 4-wheel drive, ours came in handy on the road to the trail.

Matt Nuccio
View Matt's Recording
Danielle McAvoy
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 11, 2020
View Danielle's Recording
Benji Morin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 10, 2020

Great Hike!

View Benji's Recording
Claudia Pohl
View Claudia's Recording
Jim Smith
HikingGreat!

Get there early for a parking spot. The trail to lower lake was in good condition and easy to follow. We started at 0700 on Saturday morning and saw very few people going up took us 1:45 to lower lake and another 30 min to upper lakes. Take the turn at sign that says blue lakes pass to get to upper lakes. This section is not so well marked. Also it is more difficult hiking to upper lakes. Overall a great hike up. A bit crowded coming down at about 10:30am as many hikers going up. Everyone on the trail used good etiquette. Took us 1:40 to trailhead.

Mary Plank
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 9, 2020
HikingGreat!

My hubby and I did this hike and it didn't disappoint. It was a little hard but we took our time and the view of the lower lake was absolutely breathtaking!! You wanna make sure you get to the trailhead fairly early to be able to get a good parking spot because there are a lot of people that hike this trail.

Natalie Kimber
Hiking

Hard hike but well worth it!!!

View Natalie's Recording
Megan Hedges
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 8, 2020
Hiking

By far the coolest hike I’ve done in Colorado! Who knew you could find such a turquoise lake in this area? Not me!!! Medium level difficulty, uphill climb the whole way but not too steep. Definitely go up to the overlook for the best picture. And check out all three lakes.

Erik Romero
View Erik's Recording
Lauren Tiffany
View Lauren's Recording
Julie Bauer
HikingGreat!

Awesome and beautiful hike! I got to the trailhead right at 7am on a Friday and had no issues parking. Several cars rolled in shortly after me. Trail was beautiful, clocked in at just under 11 miles with going to all 3 lakes. Took me just under 5 hrs total round trip. Many reviewers before me were complaining about dog poop everywhere but I truly did not notice any! Gorgeous views! The ascent to the top lakes is strenuous but it only added on 45 minutes for me and views are worth it. Windy at top for sure! Beautiful!!

AllTrails User
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 7, 2020
Elizabeth Widdicombe
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 7, 2020
View Elizabeth's Recording
Michael Loomer
BackpackingGreat!

Backpacked in to Lower Lake on Sunday, hiked Mt. Sneffels on Monday, backpacked out Tuesday. If you can do this, I highly recommend it. Once you reach the lower lake, the views just keep getting better the higher you get. Most beautiful place I’ve ever been. Trail to lower lake was a bit busy, and lots of people camping there. Also, good trout fishing at the lakes.

Phillip Russell
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 7, 2020
View Phillip's Recording
Bob Lanese
View Bob's Recording
Karen S.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 5, 2020
Hiking

Hiked all 3 lakes took us 5 hours to get to the last lake, and took 2.5 hrs to come down. The first 1.5 miles are steep, trail needs to be fixed.

Colette Tesoro
HikingGreat!

My favorite hike I’ve ever done! It’s challenging on the way to the first lake with nearly all uphills, but the view is so incredible that all the hard parts are worth it. I went at the end of July and it was raining the whole way and started pouring at the first lake which wasn’t ideal, so I would recommend going on a sunnier day. Overall though, I fully recommend this!!

Major Neidig
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 4, 2020
HikingGreat!

We started on Monday morning at 5:45am and glad we did. It was nice and quiet. Only 4 people ended up passing us to the lower lake. I would start as early as you can for the best experience. The hike is beautiful and we even saw a bear during the first mile or so. We camped at the lower lake and what an experience to wake up to the views.

T Meyer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 4, 2020
Hiking

The lakes are so beautiful and totally worth the trek up. However, this place is so packed- you will have to step off the trail 100 times to let people pass coming up or down. If you camp at the first lake, there are a ton of camp spots, which is great because you’re guaranteed to find a place but also bad because there’s toilet paper and cat holes everywhere. It’s gross and disappointing. This place would do well with a permit system to keep human poop levels and traffic at an acceptable level. Oh, also good luck with the parking- it’s a cluster.

Kayla Haslett
CampingGreat!

One of the most beautiful hikes I’ve ever been on! Got to the trailhead around 2pm on Friday and there was still room to park - made it to the lower lake by about 6pm and were rewarded with endless wildflowers and the most gorgeous alpine lake we’ve ever seen. We were backpacking so like many others, decided to camp at the lower lake and then hike to the upper ones the following day. 1000% would carry 20lbs up Blue Lakes Trail again any day.

Stacey Johnson
HikingGreat!

Backpacked and camped at the lower blue lake before hitting the other two lakes in the morning. Most scenic hike I’ve been on, I came for the lakes but the wildflowers, shade from the clouds on the mountains/lakes, and outlook views blew me away. Will definitely be back, and I don’t even enjoy repeating hikes.

Joe Jasper
HikingGreat!Rocky

I always say a good hike is like a good movie. Beginning, middle, end. Rising action, climax, resolution. This hike has all of it, a real journey. The first 2 miles are brutal but the scenery makes it so worth it. 10/10 would recommend!!!

Tara G.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 3, 2020
HikingGreat!

One of the most beautiful hikes I’ve done! Made it to the bypass where the trail coming in from Yankee Boy Basin meets. Round trip about 12 miles and up to about 12,800 feet. Parts are exposed without sun protection (got a little sunburned despite sunblock). A bit crowded but nothing like the front range. Loved this hike!

Irina Baxter
HikingGreat!

We are Californians. So, we came practically from see level. And today it was our first day in this area. Therefore, although we are pretty experienced hikers, it was not easy for us. Air was too thin. Still, we started at 8am and we reached the top at the third lake about 2pm. By the time we got there, rain with sleet started. But it definitely didn’t upset us crazy Californians! We love rain! Probably because we have it only three months/year. Anyway, the trail was great. We hiked here four years ago. An today the trail was in much better condition. Also I want to tell to those, who had a long and hard time to get to the first lake (like us!) and decided not to proceed to the second and third - don’t be afraid that you won’t have enough time to get back to your car before dark. Hiking to the second and third lake doesn’t take as much time, as hiking to the first lake. Not to mention that hiking down will take two or more times less than hiking up. As I said - we started at 8am, reached the top around 2pm. And we were back to our car at 4.30pm.

Jay Gearries
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 2, 2020

beautiful trail the whole time! the forested area for the first 3/4 of the trail but the end is phenomenal. if you have time go to the third lake! the first is definitely the prettiest but once you get above it, theres not many other views in colorado that compete. also, the second and third lakes are very close to one another. not too hard of an ascent, generally pretty moderate with some steep sections between the first and second lake. gorgeous and well-trafficed (not too busy) trail with numerous camping options.