Blue Lakes Trail

Blue Lakes Trail is a 6.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Ridgway, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

fly fishing

rock climbing

Directions from Highway 62: Take Dallas Creek Road fourteen miles to the Blue Lakes Trailhead.

Beautiful hike, there is snow and icy conditions once you past the stream about 2 miles or so in. I suggest you bring your microspikes, as we had to turn around at this point.

Beautiful trail. Is uphill all the way up and I would describe worse then "hard" but take your time and you won't be disappointed. I came from sea level S Texas which didn't help, but the struggle was so much worth it. Plus after you hang out at the beautiful lake, it's literally all downhill from there.

one of my favorites!

We hiked up Sunday morning (9/24) was a little snowy but beautiful views!

I accidentally left my hiking boots at the trailhead, so if anyone happened to find a pair of women's hiking boots I would love to get them back! My email is jpasplund21@students.tntech.edu

Gorgeous!! The water was so blue it was incredible.

The hike is not easy, a lot of elevation gain in the 3 miles up. We tried to get to the second lake but some people gave us bad directions and we couldn't find the trail and didn't feel safe crossing the river that was raging down the mountain.

If you have a high clearance 4x4 you can take a trail that will bring you all the way to the third lake which would've been cool to do. I will maybe do that sometime in the future because there is a lot of off roading available in that area.

Gorgeous trail-completely worth the climb. My husband and I did the Blue Lakes Pass route to Mount Sneffels and camped out at Lower Lake. I wrote a complete trip report if you're interested in seeing photos and getting more information on trail conditions, gear, and general tips and tricks : http://borntobewandering.com/2017/09/15/the-ultimate-guide-to-mt-sneffels/

Most stunning hike in the area by far

Wonderful hike. Gradual incline to the first lake, a bit more challenging after that, but worth the view. Wonderful forest service worker on the trail who was also helpful and friendly.
Unfortunately I'd set my pack down to shed some weight when getting close to the second and third Lake. When I came back from my pack it was gone. I had a friend who hustled down the trail to see if she could find who grabbed it.
We did retrieve the pack from another hiker who had grabbed it from a larger group in their 20s. How we all thought the group was honest and going to leave it at the trail come to find out they had taken food out of the pack, a set of Maui Jim sunglasses, nalogene, and left cigarette buds in it.
despite feeling fooled and too trusting. well worth the 5 hour drive we took to get there.

Prettiest place I've ever been. Actually ended up getting engaged overlooking the first lake... definitely worth the short hike up there if you make it that far. Definitely a bit strenuous - uphill the entire way.