Blue Lakes Trail

Blue Lakes Trail is a 6.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Ridgway, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

fly fishing

rock climbing

The Blue Lakes are located in a glacial basin in southwest Colorado in the Mount Sneffels Wilderness. A gorgeous alpine hike with wildflower-filled meadows, and impressive views this trail is not to be missed. There are three lakes in the basin - the middle and upper have the best views. This is an easy day hike but the lowest lake has several campgrounds along the shore for those who wish to spend the night. Visitors can park at the Blue lake Trailhead off County Road 7.

The end result is beautiful!

The uphill climb is hard but micro spikes and poles helped. Well worth the view at the top. From the waterfall to the lake, you gain some elevation but amazing views. We jumped in once we got there, very refreshing! Climb up on the side a little to get an awesome shot of the lake.

I hiked to the first lake in mid-September, the day after a snow storm. I have to say, this was the most beautiful hike I've ever done! The storm moved out, the sky was blue and the peaks all around were dusted with snow, stunning!

This is a tough trail, but the reward is amazing. Make sure to bring your winter traction. It's icy and snowy in places. Also, keep your dogs on a leash. Had a dog run up at me and snap at me twice.

Beautiful hike, there is snow and icy conditions once you past the stream about 2 miles or so in. I suggest you bring your microspikes, as we had to turn around at this point.

Beautiful trail. Is uphill all the way up and I would describe worse then "hard" but take your time and you won't be disappointed. I came from sea level S Texas which didn't help, but the struggle was so much worth it. Plus after you hang out at the beautiful lake, it's literally all downhill from there.

one of my favorites!

We hiked up Sunday morning (9/24) was a little snowy but beautiful views!

I accidentally left my hiking boots at the trailhead, so if anyone happened to find a pair of women's hiking boots I would love to get them back! My email is jpasplund21@students.tntech.edu

Hiked with mom. Gorgeous!! The water was so blue it was incredible.

The hike is not easy, a lot of elevation gain in the 3 miles up. We tried to get to the second lake but some people gave us bad directions and we couldn't find the trail and didn't feel safe crossing the river that was raging down the mountain.

If you have a high clearance 4x4 you can take a trail that will bring you all the way to the third lake which would've been cool to do. I will maybe do that sometime in the future because there is a lot of off roading available in that area.

Gorgeous trail-completely worth the climb. My husband and I did the Blue Lakes Pass route to Mount Sneffels and camped out at Lower Lake. I wrote a complete trip report if you're interested in seeing photos and getting more information on trail conditions, gear, and general tips and tricks : http://borntobewandering.com/2017/09/15/the-ultimate-guide-to-mt-sneffels/

Most stunning hike in the area by far

Wonderful hike. Gradual incline to the first lake, a bit more challenging after that, but worth the view. Wonderful forest service worker on the trail who was also helpful and friendly.
Unfortunately I'd set my pack down to shed some weight when getting close to the second and third Lake. When I came back from my pack it was gone. I had a friend who hustled down the trail to see if she could find who grabbed it.
We did retrieve the pack from another hiker who had grabbed it from a larger group in their 20s. How we all thought the group was honest and going to leave it at the trail come to find out they had taken food out of the pack, a set of Maui Jim sunglasses, nalogene, and left cigarette buds in it.
despite feeling fooled and too trusting. well worth the 5 hour drive we took to get there.

Prettiest place I've ever been. Actually ended up getting engaged overlooking the first lake... definitely worth the short hike up there if you make it that far. Definitely a bit strenuous - uphill the entire way.

Wow! Stunning hike the entire way. Did it with a couple of friends from Oklahoma and it was tough for them and for me! We just took our time and enjoyed it. The wildflowers up there against the lake were breathtaking. 5-star hike for sure. Can't wait to go back and try the upper lakes!

Great beauty the whole way. Maybe harder than modetate, but the waterfalls and the lakes are worth the hike.

Totally worth the climb!

Gorgeous!!!!!!!!! Steep but worth the hike millions of wildflowers if you go at the right time worth it for kids but bring water and snacks as it can easily take two hours

Definitely a hard hike...the entire way up to the first lake is up, up, up! The trail is a beautiful dirt trail through the forest with water falls and wildflowers along the way. Totally worth it. Trekking poles are great for the way down!

This trail was beautiful and worth it in the end, but it should not be rated moderate. It is definitely hard as the entire trail is completely uphill. The views are incredible and the lakes are indescribable!

Just another reason why the San Juan mountain range is my favorite place in Colorado! We started this hike early to ensure we didn't get stuck in the afternoon storms and had a beautiful hike up. This is a very steep trail, but getting to the first lake is not too bad. We decided to trek up to the second and third lakes which extended the hike to about 8.5 miles round trip. Glad we did it because the views up there were insane! If you're low on time or are not acclimated to hiking at elevation, might be best to stick to the first lake. Great camping options are available on the road leading to the trailhead.