Blue Lakes Trail

Blue Lakes Trail is a 6.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Ridgway, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

fly fishing

rock climbing

Directions from Highway 62: Take Dallas Creek Road fourteen miles to the Blue Lakes Trailhead.

1 minute ago

Hi Folks, Is dispersed camping allowed at the trailhead?

I saw 2-3 groups of people setting up for camping on today's hike, including one family with a younger child so definitely campable. There's snow around the lake but clear patches in the forest about 50 meters away from the lake which were perfect for camping. Do it!

Yes - the Austin's - I am wondering about camping as well!

The Austin's--thanks for the update! Do you think it would be campable? I have backpacked it many times but not sure what the snow melt is around the lake.

Lower blue lakes is accessible!!! Went up 6/17/17 and it was killer! Water was the bluest of blues. Lake was about 50% frozen but it will be melted in days since it's been 90 all week. There was some sections of snow but nothing crazy or sketchy. Less than a half a mile of snow!
Hallelujah! It's summer in Colorado

snowpack made the hike a little bit more of a challenge but not impassable. hopped in the lake for a cool off. brrrr, but refreshing. can't wait to come back when all the snows melted, and hike Sneffels!

I'll look forward to your update "The Austins"

We live in Ridgway & this is our favorite hike. We are very familiar with this trail as we do it 6+ times/ year. Attempted it June 3, 2017. There was 4 feet at 10,400 which is about 300 yards past the creek (which is about halfway). We turned back because we were sinking in with the hot sun. Trail was not visible and the portion above the switchbacks is extremely narrow on a cliffs edge. Not trying to die here. Today is 6/13 and we've have nothing but sunshine so We are heading up again this Saturday on 6/17. We do know the lake is still frozen and pretty much surrounded by snow. Will post updates after attempt 2✌

One of the best hikes ever. The trail can get pretty crowded during peak season but trails are wide enough to support two way foot traffic.
The drive to the location is beautiful as well..

Do you have Pictures Gavin Whitman or Ashley Erickson? I've been in August but a friend is wanting to do it in 2 weeks from now, just hoping to give her an idea picture wise, what its like up there right now. Thanks!

June 3rd attempted to get to the lower blue lakes. Crossed the creek and ran into thick snow, 3-4 feet deep. Followed the foot prints in the snow quite a ways and then lost the trail. Turned back about 3/4 of the way. Was awesome and beautiful though! Going to try again later in the summer.

Made it up to the lower lake today, it was beautiful! The lake is still frozen but the views are incredible. There's deep snow starting at the creek and we lost the trail a couple of times due to the snow. Definitely need snow shoes unless you want to post-hole it the whole way. The snow is sloped quite steeply in some sections making snow shoes cumbersome at times. Tough but ultimately worth it!

is this 6 miles each way or altogether?

Came in from county road 7. Made it up about halfway to where you cross the creek. After that there is still significant snow, 2-4 feet and we turned back.

Attempted this hike yesterday and got just passed the old power plant before turning back. The upper portion of the trail, just before the gate blocking traffic, was completely covered in down sloping, icy snow. Determined to see the lakes my sister and I stupidly scaled the icy trail. There were footprints in the snow so we assumed it was possible. Definitely don't recommend this! Twice we almost slipped down the mountain. The falls were beautiful though! I'd love to try again once the snow melts. I wish we would have know about the conditions before we attempted to hike above the falls.

This trail was absolutely incredible. Don't stop at the first lake. Keep going up the the third lake, at least! I did this trail in August, and the weather was exquisite.

Looking to do this trail again June 1 of this year. Has anyone been up that way lately? Will it be accessible by then? Thanks.

Best hike ever! Can't wait to do it again.

Only managed to get to the trail head, but that was after tramping through nearly two miles of snow. Needs a good thaw before being able to do this route

You can't access the trail head by car right now. You need to walk 5 miles up a dirt road to get to the trail. I never made it that far :/