Blue Lakes Trail

Blue Lakes Trail is a 7.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Ridgway, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, fly fishing, horses, and snowshoeing and is best used from June until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The Blue Lakes are located in a glacial basin in southwest Colorado in the Mount Sneffels Wilderness. A gorgeous alpine hike with wildflower-filled meadows, and impressive views this trail is not to be missed. There are three lakes in the basin - the middle and upper have the best views. This is an easy day hike but the lowest lake has several campgrounds along the shore for those who wish to spend the night. Visitors can park at the Blue lake Trailhead off County Road 7.

Absolutely beautiful hike!!

I hiked to the bottom lake on 15 September 2018. I probably should not have. wasnt ready for this trail. lol. know your limitations, then pass them by. awesome hike. so beautiful. friendly people along the way. 3 hours to the first lake for me. 2.5 hours back down. my goal is to get down to 1.5 hours going up. definitely recommend this hike. dont quit. the view is worth the a fib. lol

This is one of the most enjoyable hikes I have ever done. Gorgeous views the whole way. Mild ascent to the first lake followed by a short (but steep) climb to the upper lakes. Hiked this trail on 9/15 to enjoy the fall colors.

This was my first ever backpacking experience. Nothing will make you feel like you over packed quite like this incline! It was definitely hard but so worth the trek. We went the Thursday and Friday before Labor Day to avoid the weekend camping crowd. The views and feeling of seclusion was a great way to round out summer. You can’t have fires up in the campground area, so be sure to pack some fuel for a camp stove and pack layers. It was fairly windy most of our stay there, but being in the tent at night was plenty cozy.

This hike was beautiful! It was my first backpacking trip and I was not disappointed! The day I went, there was a chance of a storm... luckily there wasn’t. My friends and I truly enjoyed it! Awwwww sooo fun! The incline was a little strenuous, but nothing too difficult!

Busy area and trail but very beautiful. I thought the atv's were loud until a car full of tourists showed up around 6 a.m. On my way down, a group of young white people, whom thought I was out of earshot or just didn't care, started making fun of how I looked. Sad way to end the day but everyone else I crossed trails with earlier in the day, was very kind.

Great hike. Went up to the pass. The trail is very well maintained until the trail goes above the vegetation line. It's a little rough above that but very doable until the pass.

Outstanding hike. First part is a pretty decent incline but after mile 2 or so it isn't too bad. The climb from the lower lake to the second lake is, once again, a pretty decent incline but the payoff of the view makes it all worth it. Lower lake is aqua blue and crystal clear. Upper lakes are still amazing but totally different feel than the lower. Ran into quite few groups of hikers but never felt "crowded" by any means.

Beautiful hike!

Great hike. Arrived Sat morning at 10 am had a few parking spots available. We hiked past the 1st lake to the overlook above the lake. Amazing views! Steep incline thru most of the trail. Took us 5 hours to complete.

One of the most beautiful hikes I've ever been on. The hike to the lakes is uphill the entire way. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I had some people say it flattens out some, it doesn't. I took a 35lb pack to stay overnight. I recommend you save as much weight as you can. That being said, I will do it again, and as many times as I can.

Amazing trail! I loved the views. I would definitely go early in the morning to avoid the crowds. I started my hike at 6. Definitely venture up to the upper lakes. You’ll get an amazing view of Blue Lake and the upper two lakes are pretty in their own way. The hike up to the upper lakes is hard but totally worth it.

I was here two weeks ago and would note that I ran into a small cub while driving up to the trailhead. Instead of moving on the cub kind of chilled in the middle of the road. Where there is a baby cub there is a momma bear so be on the lookout!

awesome hike

We do this hike every year we come to CO for the Telluride Film Festival and it always exceeds expectations over and over...!

Heck of a hike. Wished they had distance markers set up to give you a better idea of pace and how much further to go. The views were incredible though. Best I’ve seen in Colorado.

this was a gorgeous hike! stunning views around every corner. I'm not in bad shape but not great either(mainly due to smoking). I only hiked to the first lake and back but it took me a little over 2 hours to get there and a little over a hour to get back. I'm not from Colorado and I defentialy noticed the elevation, a little light headed here and there. I can't say enough good things though, it was truly beautiful. I will definitely do this hike again and next time I'll make it all the way

I drove my truck to the trailhead of Blue Lakes/Bridal Veils trail (where the old Mill or house-looking thing at the top of the falls is). Then I started the hike to Blue Lake, which wasn't easy but well worth the climbing. Posting some pictures...

Hiked this on 7/21. Was very beautiful. Hiked up in the dark to get above lower Blue Lake for sunrise. It was amazing. Eventually got up to highest lake. Wildflowers not as profuse as wetter years but they were still great.

Other reviews capture this quintiessential Colorado hike. Majestic views, turquoise lake, rewarding hike.

fun hike! we only made it as far as lower blue lake due to some issues with the altitude, but it was gorgeous nonetheless! the trail opens up to some beautiful meadows along the way and once you hit a space suitable for camping you have arrived at lower blue lake. would love to go back and make this a two day trip. the road out there is easy to maneuver and it definitely gets crowded pretty early. highly suggest this hike!

Very cool hike! We did the day hike to Lower, Middle, Upper Blue Lakes and to the Sneffels pass. I recommend camping at the trailhead for an early start. The lower lake is beautiful (it's better than the other two) but pretty full of campers. The best view is from near the middle lake looking down on the lower lake. The path can be hard to find going from lower to middle. The trail from upper lake to the pass was narrow and steep and did get boring, so you could definitely skip this and you wouldn't be missing out. The hike is quite steep in beginning sections, so it gets real old on the way back down (we saw two people who appeared to have twisted ankles from sliding or falling in these sections... both of whom were hiking in tevas, so do with that what you will).

Beautiful hike.

Gorgeous views.

The shoreline of the lower lake alone is worth the effort.

Great hike and beautiful views.

We did the hike late in the day (started around 17.30). It took us about 1.5 hours to go up and left us not enough time to make it all the way to the upper lake (going down last mile we had to use flashlights - its getting quite dark there in the trees in between two mountain ranges), but that feeling of being the last ones going up, resting in the quiet serenity of the lake and going down all alone was precious. The hike - smells, birds, wildberries. streams, gorgeous waterfall - everything is so good..

This hike was strenuous but definitely worth it. The views were amazing the entire hike!

Great Hike! Start early and go to the upper lakes! The view down to the lower lake is amazing!

steep hike for the first 30/45 minutes but overall not a difficult hike, lower lake is absolutely gorgeous!