Blue Lake via Mitchell Lake Trail

Blue Lake via Mitchell Lake Trail is a 4.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Ward, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from May until September.

Brainard Lake Road will REOPEN the morning of June 29th. https://www.bouldercounty.org/transportation/plans-and-projects/brainard-road/

7/8/18 7:30am and the parking lot was getting full. The drive was nice and was winding, littered with bicyclists. There was a bike race from 7-10am. $11 entrance fee. Lake Isabelle was our intended hike but due to a death the day before it was closed off. So, Blue Lake it was! 6mi round trip hike. 1mi to Mitchell Lake and 2mi to Blue Lake. The trail was easy to navigate. There were tons of people at Blue Lake hanging out and sunbathing. We encountered several groups on the way up and even more on our way back. There were also a bunch of dogs on the hike. Everyone was great and had them on leash. We ran into 2 park rangers, one of which thanked us for keeping our dogs on leash. The views throughout the hike were spectacular! Wild flowers were abundant and hearing the sound of water nearby was relaxing. All in all, this was a beautiful hike. I would recommend bug spray (tons of mosquitos), sunscreen (obvi), water, and snacks. Please be sure to pack in and pack out.

Loved the hike. There were plenty of parking spaces at 7AM on a Friday and no significant mosquitoes despite previous reports. Saw a moose and her calf which made the hike worthwhile by itself.

8.9.18 - I love Indian Peaks Wilderness. Glad I got this one conquered as I tried last year in June and got snowed out. Lovely hike and relatively easy. Saw two moose. Would do this again!.

It is a moderate hike to an amazing lake. Completely worth the time spent there. I have a few tips though. Go early so because the line to get into the park is super long and all the parking spots fill up really fast. If all the spots are taken then they don’t allow any more cars in and you have to wait for people to leave. Secondly, take bug spray because the mosquitos and flies will devour you. I have never been swarmed by so many in my life. Thirdly, if you want to jump in the water, bring a change of clothes and a towel/blanket because it is absolutely freezing. You may think you are strong enough to handle the cold but you are completely mistaken. Overall, this has been the best hike that I have ever done since being in Colorado. The sights, wild flowers, and animals were the coolest. We even got to see moose while we were there. 11/10 would recommend.

Beautiful and surprisingly deep Alpine lake, I've never seen a deeper one yet. Awesome walk up to the lake, saw a moose on the upper mess but couldn't get close enough to take a good picture. Bugs, bugs, bugs....and wildflower heaven. there's an awesome waterfall on the west side coming from little Blue lake. Go early to beat the crowd, my wife and I had the lakes and trail to ourselves but we started at 6:00 am.

Moderate hike! Lots of rocky areas along the trail. The lake is very blue and worth waiting around to park.

Brainard lake road is currently closed. It appears to be the only way up there. Check before heading up for the hike. Very disappointing

Drove up there and the road was closed to get there. Asked the construction worker when it would be open and he said the road will be open at the start of July, give or take. Drove to Nederland and did the Lost lake hike instead.

recorded Recording - Aug 27 04:45 AM