Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Blue Lake Trail is a 10.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Red Feather Lakes, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 10.3 miles Elevation Gain: 1,794 feet Route Type: Loop

Directions from Fort Collins: Travel west on Hwy 14 for 62 miles. The Trailhead is located about 2 miles east of Joe Wright Reservoir. Parking is available at the trailhead.

Did this trail early July 2019 and it was perfect (a little wet though). Did it again yesterday (5/22) and made it to 5.4 miles wearing snowshoes before turning back. Lost the trail at 4 miles and used our gps the rest of the way. Had to follow our snowshoe tracks for about 2 miles before we found some resemblance of a trail on the way down. Do not attempt right now unless you are wearing snowshoes and have a gps. Still incredibly beautiful, but there is so much snow still left.

still too much snow. lost the trail roughly a mile from the lake

Great Trail that can access many peaks and lakes inside the Rawah Wilderness. Great through hike options from Blue Lake TH - West Brand TH if you have two cars.

Great little daytrip, quite mellow but still challenging enough for the more experience crowd. Definitely recommend going the extra half mile past the lake for the view. Got there at 7A, only 2 other cars in at the TH. Didn’t see a soul the entire way up. Got back at 130P

This is a great trail to bring the dogs on. Plenty of shade and water with an easy elevation gain. There really aren't any views on this hike until you reach the lake at the end, but I thought it was beautiful and peaceful in the forest. And surprisingly not very many people on the trail for a beautiful, sunny Saturday.

Today was a beautiful day, and we walked to the blue lake overlook- around six miles up and back. Working up to hiking at elevation. There was no one else on the trail today and just beautiful! Hopi g to come back in the winter and snowshoe!

Awesome trail. Lot of uphill on the way to lake, much faster on way back coming down hill.

Very popular trail. Arrived at 7:30am and had to park in the day use parking lot. Lovely hike. Beautiful scenery.

I enjoyed this trail a lot! We hiked in for one night. It was easy to find a place to camp. It’s a well maintained trail! Lots of dogs and other campers!

Hiked in the morning with my two teenage kids and set up camp at the stream crossing about a 1/2 mile below Blue Lake. There was another couple of camping sites about a 1/4 closer in the woods but we didn't know about them. Then hiked to Blue Lake and the top of the pass just north of the lake. Trail is all forest till you get to Blue Lake then you get above the trees and great views. Views from the top of the pass were outstanding in all directions. Bugs came out in the evening but nothing you couldn't control with some spray. Hiked out the following morning. Trail had no real steep grades except maybe from the lake to the pass. Good trail for young ones.

I backpacked in 4.6 mi as no camping is allowed within .4 mi of the lake. Some mud. No snow. Mosquitos. Saw a moose. I climbed Cameron Peak and the other Peak to the SW. great views. Fabulous wildflowers. A favorite hike and also ski. Some firerings on lake shore. Please follow rules and camp away from water and trail to preserve this beautiful place. Thank you

Great hike in, did it with my 12 yo son. Dispersed camping is limited due to steep terrain near lake and also due the 1/4 mile closure around lakes. Fly fishing was great on small and medium sized bugs. Trail is well maintained. Mosquito repellent for sure.

Did this trail twice in two days, with 3 large river crossings, many stream crossings, wildflowers, and of corse the lake at the end, this trail was gorgeous! Really great hike and the trail is well maintained

very good hike, awesome scenery and lots of fresh wildflowers. still mud and snow at the top definitely a better hike for later in the summer

We hiked on Saturday June 29th. The first two miles were easy. Streams were raging and beautiful. 3 miles in mud turned to snow. The last mile was deep snow and no obvious trail. We made it following the map with trail and GPS in this app. Well worth the effort. Lake was half ice. It was a slow and treacherous the last 0.5 mile down to the lake. At the 3.5 mile mark we crossed a steam into continuous snow with more “wrong” foot steps than correct ones. At that point the trail goes away from the stream to the left. We missed the crossing on the way back. This app with GPS quickly showed us our mistake.

I attempted to complete this hike yesterday (June 25th) but there is still a lot of snow about 3 miles in. The first part of the trail right now is pretty much constant water and mud. I only had my hiking boots so if you have snow shoes you would have better luck towards the end of the trail. A lot of post holing and hard to stay on the trail. We stopped maybe 1/2 mile from the lake but couldn't continue on with the conditions.

Sun Jan 06 2019

Great treed trail.

Mon Aug 20 2018

All in all, it took us 6.5 hours to get to the lake. However, we did not loop back and instead went on to Clark's Peak. I enjoyed it, although I hiked almost the whole way in complete darkness. Although we didn't really get to see the beauty of the hike, we did get to go to an outlook and see the Perseids. In addition, the lake was beautiful at 6:30 AM, there was no one around, and we got to see a moose!

Sat Aug 18 2018

The wildflowers are out right now and they are so beautiful!

Sun Aug 12 2018

The hike to the lake doesn’t have many views as it’s through the thick forest, but the views at the lake were beautiful and definitely worth it! We did see a moose, doggos got to tromp in a few inches of the lake and the area is very relaxing. We got there about 8:30am and only saw one other group until we began our descent.

Tue Aug 07 2018

Lots of flowers on the hike and a cool lake at the end. In my opinion it was a 4 star hike because it was not the coolest lake and it was a long hike through the forest, with minimal views, to get there. We were also disappointed, as another reviewer pointed out, that there was no real discernable trail that actually went around the lake. To get down to the lake we had to walk down one of the rocky stream beds on the far side of the lake. First two miles of the trail are wide and very easy, the past 3 and a half are more uphill and rocky but not difficult. I carried a 3 year old and my 8 year old son had no problems either. The only real challenging part were a couple of stream crossings on some logs that were wet, from the rain that was falling, and very slippery. Carrying my daughter I actually elected to walk through the water instead of risk falling off of the first one.

Sun Aug 05 2018

One of the most beautiful trails in Colorado! The Wild flowers were in full bloom. We came across a huge bull moose at the lake. Please keep your dogs on leash if you take them. One not very thoughtful hiker let her dog run wild at the moose and ended the enjoyment for each the moose and people.