Blodgett Peak

Blodgett Peak is a 3.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Colorado Springs, Colorado that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Blodgett Peak Trail is a taste of true Colorado open space with great views. The trail is located within Blodgett Peak Open Space, which is part of the greater Pike National Forest. The trailhead is located off of West Woodmen Road in the heart of the of the Mountain Shadows neighborhood with an already spectacular view of the black forest and the air force academy below. The beginning of the trail has the appearance of a relatively moderate trafficked wide spanning dirt road but quickly turns into steep inclines that increase in height with each step. The open space is home to a variety of plant and animal species. You will see plenty of Douglas Fir, scrub oak, and ponderosa pine on the way up to the summit. If you are lucky, you may even see a peregrine falcon, an endangered species that has made the area home. Once at the top, Blodgett Peak summit offers incredible views of Colorado Springs below. This is a challenging hike due to the vast amounts of loose gravel piled up on steep hillsides making it particularly slick and at points. Its is important that you pay close attention to the main route as it is easy to veer off path. It is best to arrive at the trailhead early, as the parking lot has a limited amount of parking spots, excluding availability to park on the road beside it.

Definitely not for new to intermediate hikers. I decided to knock this out quick, but wasn’t quick at all +2K in climbing in 1.5 miles with extremely loose rock wasn’t fun at all. I recommend actual trail shoes and maybe poles. If you wear regular sneakers, I hope you like falling and the taste of dirt. Awesome views, however, the trail it’s marked or maintained well. I had to download the map beforehand and use it quite frequently, it was pretty annoying.

fantastic view from the top, but awful time getting down. slide on my butt the whole way under the trail stayed again (about a mile) worth it. dress accordingly

Great hike as always!!! Trail is a bit difficult to follow on the way up but not too bad. The way down is a bit tough due to the loose gravel! Excellent views at the top nonetheless!!!

This was a great hike, this hike will take you 2000 feet straight up Blodget Peak, this is very challenging and difficult. The terrain is loose rocky on the side of a mountain!! The view is amazing of Colorado Springs. This hike is not for beginners in any way.

This is legit hike, a justified hard rating. Has elements of scrambling as well depending on how closely you follow the trail up. I’d recommend earlier in the day before it gets hot as you get higher up you have less cover and more rock. A great hike for being in town. I wouldn’t recommend it for little kids or dogs. I’m glad I didn’t have to carry my little one up in a back pack

I didn’t expect to hike to the top but we did (Hubby and I), yay! For our very first time, unplanned, with rain and hail we made it. Going down was more difficult simply because of the softened gravel and rocks.

Loved every bit of it though.

fun and challenging, fairly steep in sections. I went up the boulder field and up the face. Very cool section. turns out there is another way from what I was told on the way down. stay to the left of the boulder field to summit.

It’s a fun hike close to town. The trail isn’t well defined in spots. The loose scree is miserable climbing down. Be very careful. Had to slide on my butt in places to get down.

Great training hike! You get the miserable scree of 14ers with the crazy incline, and don't have to be at altitude.
The trail is pretty steep on loose rock, not a good trail for kids.

Not worth it for the miserable steep rock scree the entire way. There were also swarms of gnats at the peak. Nice views but we couldn’t even stand to stay up there because of the gnats. It is very steep the entire way, which is fine but the slippery rock scree almost the entire hike makes this slow, annoying and dangerous. There are so many options for good hikes in the area and in my opinion, Blodgett Peak is just not worth it.

very steep and loose. good local trail though. I forgot my hiking poles. fell a few times, didn't make it to the top but will try again with poles and without the dog.

Look out for rattlesnakes! Other than that this is a great hike if you’re wanting a challenge or are training for something bigger.

Pretty fun trail for people who like a little challenge and adventure. The trail is not always obvious or clearly marked, so you may wonder a little bit. Also, the incline can sometimes be steep. This is also what makes it so fun and memorable!

Intense and rewarding hike. Blodgett trail to hummingbird is where to start, the trail has a lot of 2 way splits after hummingbird but it’s not hard to find the summit. Just keep going up! Watch out at the top though, there’s ALOT of bugs. Definitely bring bug spray

Start off on Blodgett Trail, then branch off to Hummingbird Trail which will lead to Blodgett Peak Trail (though there’s no “official trail”). Once you come to the end of Hummingbird, you will see a couple smaller trails that branch off - they both lead to the peak, but the one of the right was easier to follow (I went up the left, came down the right). Trail gets vertical very quickly from the end of Hummingbird and can be difficult to follow at times - a lot of loose rocks as well as you ascend. I’ve done a bunch of trails rated on here as “hard” - this one certainly lives up to that rating! Pretty nice views at the top, but bring bug spray!

The trail was hard to follow but beautiful along the way. I ended up on the Hummingbird trail. It was pretty steep but worth the experience.

I had a hard time staying on trail. I think I went right instead of left at one of the forks. I still got some nice views an some peace an quiet the ski down was scetchy at times! the HUMMINGBIRD TRAIL leads to the summit. good luck getting to the summit the trail isn't marked very well. also this is a very steap trail/hike!

Difficult with kids!

Brutal. Parked and left @ 1230 made it to the top about 2:36-2:40

Took a lot of breaks, 1/2 through is moderate, and then the other 1/2 of the climb is a challenge.

Made our way Back down @3:05 and left the parking lot @ 4:40

Great views! Challenging but worth every step.

The trail splits a lot but is a good moderate challenge it you cut it short. Hard if you go to the top. Not good for kids it’s to long.

Very difficult mountain. Trail splits in numerous places and can lead you up some pretty rough areas if you aren’t familiar. Make sure to go with Simone who has done it and knows where to go!

Extremely hard trail. The first 75% has a good foot path and is easy to stay on course it's steep but good for hiking. The last half mile or so is ridiculous it's no longer hiking. The trail became almost non existent and turned into a bolder field. I ended up on hands and feet climbing. this trail is definitely not for the faint of hart.

I think the person that said this is a good trail for children was referencing the Open Space trails. The Open Space trails are great for families and young ones with nice overlooks, offering wide, easy to moderate trails.

However, Blodgett Peak is not in the Open Space, although access starts in the Open Space. This is one of the harder hikes in the area, due to hard route finding and steep, loose gravel and dirt most of the way up. You need to be careful if there are others near you as they can inadvertently send down rocks your way (as happened today). It gains over 2000 feet in less than 1.5 or so miles and that too adds to the challenge.

I re-did it today after being away for over a decade. With Waldo Fire, I was confused by the trails, as it all looked very different than I remembered once I hit the ridge.

You start on the Hummingbird Trail, going up along a sometimes dry creek, But before long the trail is steep with lots of loose gravel, protruding roots, loose rocks... going up is not easy and going down can feel worse. Someone with whom I connected was wearing ice walkers and said those helped On the way down, I decided to be safe in sections and got down on my butt or did some gravel sledding to move cautiously at times and took it very slowly with the downhill. Mostly my goal was to avoid the loose stuff if I could and find more secure footing and/or good hand holds.

Going up, the first landmark/goal is is a big rock outcropping once you have moved away from the creek and are heading northwest. It's only a short distance from the creek trail but steeply upwards. It is is more easily noticed coming down (look for it sticking out above the trees as that is where you likely want to end up if you want to follow the creek trail down, although there are several other access points to the creek trail). Folks stop there for a break and views. After that you hit a ridge with a viewpoint and a trail that branches left and right. It stays flat for a short distance in both directions. The right leads to a boulder field. Do not advise that route. Go left and the trail branches west and then steeply up to the saddle between Blodgett and Point 9491. I turned around there today; getting later and I was a bit beat after going the wrong way at the trail junction, Someone else made the same decision. The saddle felt like achievement (as is the entire hike!). I didn't need the summit.

Difficult hike-not for typical beginner/intermediate hiker. Had difficulty staying on the correct trail. Took wrong trail early on- went right, should’ve stayed left. Trail is very loose- mostly dirt/gravel. Summit is great. Good views of city and Rampart Range.

Be prepared for a rough hike back down. I only ended up on my rear once. Your legs will be tired when you get to the top, but coming down is a workout too! Tip for the way down: be in a semi crouched position, find the path with the most loose scree available and ride it down. Otherwise you are on loose dirt which is harder to stay upright on while going down the mountain

Honestly really enjoyed this trail! Very difficult for a beginner/intermediate hiker. I didn’t finish all the way up, but I play on going back for sure!

The hike is fun, it’s just kind of easy to get lost if you aren’t on your phone looking for direction most of the time. Great view once you get to the top though, and bring something to put in the geocache. Oh and follow the pink streamers tied to the trees. They lead the way.

Awesome hike!

Not for new or inexperienced hikers...some trails rated “difficult” I can easily hike in sneakers but this is not one of them. Poles also recommended. Ascent gets difficult during the 2nd half (talus and scree). Also, easy to get off-trail during the 2nd half (or rather, there seem to be lots of trails!)

Views are great and an amazing workout.