Blodgett Peak

Blodgett Peak is a 3.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Colorado Springs, Colorado that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Blodgett Peak Trail is a taste of true Colorado open space with great views. The trail is located within Blodgett Peak Open Space, which is part of the greater Pike National Forest. The trailhead is located off of West Woodmen Road in the heart of the of the Mountain Shadows neighborhood with an already spectacular view of the black forest and the air force academy below. The beginning of the trail has the appearance of a relatively moderate trafficked wide spanning dirt road but quickly turns into steep inclines that increase in height with each step. The open space is home to a variety of plant and animal species. You will see plenty of Douglas Fir, scrub oak, and ponderosa pine on the way up to the summit. If you are lucky, you may even see a peregrine falcon, an endangered species that has made the area home. Once at the top, Blodgett Peak summit offers incredible views of Colorado Springs below. This is a challenging hike due to the vast amounts of loose gravel piled up on steep hillsides making it particularly slick and at points. Its is important that you pay close attention to the main route as it is easy to veer off path. It is best to arrive at the trailhead early, as the parking lot has a limited amount of parking spots, excluding availability to park on the road beside it.

Very steep, hard to keep track of where the trail is sometimes. Totally worth it. Great views. But extremely strong wind up top.

This was my first time in the Blodgett area. I wasn’t sure how long it would take me given the ice on the trail so I turned back at the base of the peak. Hoping to come back soon to finish it off! Dogs are allowed on leash.

got to hike this awesome trail today. this was my first hard trail hike, and i must say it was very challenging, all the uphill climb the whole way made it harder, plus the icy trails. i would definitely suggest to bring your spikes when u go. it was my first time for this hard hike and it took me 3hours to reach the top., and more than an hour going down. all in all a great hike.

Beautiful hike, but difficult for sure (its all inclined). It was so slippery, we had to slide back down almost the whole way. The only reason I give it a 4 star & not 5 is because you cannot hardly tell where the right trail is. We ended up going off trail & freestyling up for a good 20min of steep shrub & gravel. I will do it again when its nicer outside. :)

Very challenging hike....risk vs reward on this hike questionable (especially this time of year). Not well marked, scree, ice....etc. Pick another hike in Colorado....no shortage of awesome/safe hikes.

It was my first summit hike in Colorado. Great views and a good challenge.

This is one of my favorite local hikes just did a video on it on Christmas day!!
check it out!!

Blodgett offers decent views for Colorado. The trail's not well marked, so it's easy to get off track. Furthermore, there's a lot of loose gravel.

Trail extremely icy. Snow melt and refreeze creating an ice crust.

Just amazing! This trail kicked my tail, if it’s during the snow months bring micro spikes. There was a lot of ice making for an adventurous trip back down. The views and scenery breathtaking.

It was awesome! But - keep your AllTrails app open the whole hike up - you can easily get off the trail, like others said, hiking poles would help, loose gravel but totally manageable. I started at 9am on a Sunday and there were a few spots left in the lot - there were some small streams for the pups too!

Beautiful trail system. It was hard for me but I am old, overweight and from Arkansas.

No problem if you follow the ALLTRAILS track..

Hard trail to follow like previous reviews mentioned. Highly recommend trekking poles to make it easier climbing and descending.

Definitely not a clear trail to follow, but the navigation and steep incline can be a fun challenge. Lots of loose gravel, I definitely fell on my butt twice and slid down. The 2 other people I saw coming down had trekking poles which would probably really help on the decent. Hiked it with my husky and had to help him up some of the scrambling and loose gravel areas.

Lots of slick dirt on downhill

Excellent, challenging hike / climb / scramble. Here are the key things to note:

1. The trail can get a bit hard to follow. I recommend looking through some recent recordings and loading one of those up in the app to keep you on track.

2. Quite a bit of scrambling and loose rock, so this is likely not a good hike for young kids or folks that struggle with balance or steep scrambles.

3. It is intense elevation gain in a short distance, so a great hike to use in prep for a 14er. If you prefer switchbacks or a well-designed trail this may be a disappointment.

I hiked it yesterday and ran into many encouraging people on the way. I was determined to make the summit and it was well worth the hike. I’ll definitely do it again. Very beautiful hike.

Awesome elevation gain if you are looking for a challenge. The trail is not clearly defined so you end up hiking back up and forth at times that's why gave it 3 stars. the trail should be maintained. The summit overlook is not visible until the very end but at the top the view is rewarding

To whoever built the rock towers lining the trail to the peak, you are my hero! I would still be wondering aimlessly up there if it weren't for them! The reason for 4 stars instead of 5 is because the path should be more defined, I found many false trails leading me to nowhere until I stumbled on the rock towers along the actual path.

Went up with my 70 lb dog today. Saw lots of wild life. Tougher but very doable hike
Wear sturdy shoes and bring extra water

This hike is short, yet potent, but certainly doable if you are decently fit or at very least have determination. It can be a bit dangerous at parts, specifically because of the loose scree. I came here to say that if you are interested in spicing this hike up, different than the normal route, I suggest this:

Follow the main wide trail and turn left at the sign for Pikes National Forest Hummingbird trail. This will take you to a fork. Right for continuing hummingbird trail (the typical blodgett route) or left toward the Gamble Oak trail. Turn left. Follow this until you get to the junction of the Douglas Fir trail, turn right there. Take this all the way down until you encounter a stream. Cross the stream (it is very narrow) and you'll see a trail that runs both left and right. Turn left there (it is the uphill direction) and you will continue up Douglas Fir trail. This part a moderate hike. At the end of this trail, you will be on the summit of a small foothill, and you can clearly see blodgett peak from here. if you continue to look around, you will see cairns which will take you up to the top of the nearest foothill. once at the top, you can ride the Ridgeline all the way to blodgett peak, and back down the typical hummingbird route. it adds distance, but if you hike this often, it is nice to mix it up. Hope this helps someone!

Definitely not for new to intermediate hikers. I decided to knock this out quick, but wasn’t quick at all +2K in climbing in 1.5 miles with extremely loose rock wasn’t fun at all. I recommend actual trail shoes and maybe poles. If you wear regular sneakers, I hope you like falling and the taste of dirt. Awesome views, however, the trail it’s marked or maintained well. I had to download the map beforehand and use it quite frequently, it was pretty annoying.

fantastic view from the top, but awful time getting down. slide on my butt the whole way under the trail stayed again (about a mile) worth it. dress accordingly

Great hike as always!!! Trail is a bit difficult to follow on the way up but not too bad. The way down is a bit tough due to the loose gravel! Excellent views at the top nonetheless!!!

This was a great hike, this hike will take you 2000 feet straight up Blodget Peak, this is very challenging and difficult. The terrain is loose rocky on the side of a mountain!! The view is amazing of Colorado Springs. This hike is not for beginners in any way.

This is legit hike, a justified hard rating. Has elements of scrambling as well depending on how closely you follow the trail up. I’d recommend earlier in the day before it gets hot as you get higher up you have less cover and more rock. A great hike for being in town. I wouldn’t recommend it for little kids or dogs. I’m glad I didn’t have to carry my little one up in a back pack

I didn’t expect to hike to the top but we did (Hubby and I), yay! For our very first time, unplanned, with rain and hail we made it. Going down was more difficult simply because of the softened gravel and rocks.

Loved every bit of it though.

fun and challenging, fairly steep in sections. I went up the boulder field and up the face. Very cool section. turns out there is another way from what I was told on the way down. stay to the left of the boulder field to summit.