Blackmer Loop Trail

Blackmer Loop Trail is a 4.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Colorado Springs, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 4.2 miles Elevation Gain: 482 feet Route Type: Loop

1 hour ago

Love this hike. Me and my wife did it and it was very peaceful and nice. We saw a deer.

I’m new to hiking and this being my second hike I really enjoyed it. Throughout there was educational signs and benches which was nice. I will say however there are a few things to look out for! 1- when you get to this trail head (which can be kind of confusing to get to because the maps and signs aren’t super clear) go to the right side of the loop!!!! We took the left side and it was definitely more incline than if we would have taken the right side. I would say that taking the left is difficult while taking the right would have been moderate. 2. Beware of wasps/yellow jackets. We walked by a whole nest in a hallowed trunk and on a previous hike in the same park my friend was stung multiple times. 3. Has some really pretty views of the mountain however much of the scenery is the same.. this didn’t really bother me however due to the fact that the path kept things interesting with roots/rocks/inclines etc.

Left side is more incline and harder, go right and you'll have more decline. Lots of rocks on the trail that are fun to run. Pretty good

Lots of scrub oak, not many views. Still a pleasant hike and fewer crowds since it's on the state park grounds. You'll have to walk a bit from the parking lot to get the trailhead. Take the Zook loop and you'll eventually hit it. Look for an intersection with a park bench and boulders. From the parking lot, it's closer to 4.5 miles for the entire loop. Not terribly strenuous, some mild up and down,

Great hike, trail run, or bike route!

Straight-forward hike. The south-eastern section will tease with some views of a meadow. As the trail ascends gradually, you'll enter the forest. Up until this point there isn't much shade. Once entering however you'll be under some tree cover. There are some spots up here where you can view the state park with Ft Carson in the distance. The trail finishes out at the northern end, just before the fork returns you to the campgrounds, with a nice green meadow and some tall grass.

Very beautiful hike. The parking was up the hill and the trail was a little confusing to get to. We weren’t sure which trail was which till we just walked around and figured it out. A map stand in the beginning of the trail was there, but not before walking up a couple of hills. I took my 6 and 4 year old and it was pretty tough for them. We where there around 7 to 8AM. There was a few people on bikes and walking as well. My kids were hurting the last mile. I would be lying if I said I was I wasn’t hurting either. Some loose rocks in the area, but no mud. You can anticipate some wildlife. A lot of movement in the big bushes and some growling too. If you kept walking and continued your hike you will be fine. Take bear mace just in case and a small first aid kit. (My kids were sliding all over the place and especially more so when they got tired after the 3rd mile) Scrapes and bleeding took place here! Any who, enjoy the hike!

We opted for this hike because it seemed to offer more visual interest (and wind protection) than the more open meadow trails to the south, but the downside to this forested loop was that about a third of the trail was covered in mud or ice. We saw a couple of trail runners but otherwise we found pure solitude, despite it being the tail end of a holiday weekend. Plus, no highway traffic to be seen or heard in this corner of the park! We’ll certainly come back again when it dries out a bit.

We participated in the "First Hike" this year on the Blackmer Loop Trail. It was a guided hike with about 12 participants. We took the Blackmer loop from the Limekiln trailhead for a ~5 mile hike. The volunteers and rangers provided hot chocolate, souvenir cups, and a fire for us before and after the hike. This trail was covered in ~2 inches of snow. There were 1-2 slippery spots with loose gravel or smooth rocks where my boots slipped. We saw three bucks, two doe, and several birds. The trail guide presented historical facts about Harry M. Blackmer. If you have some time, look up the "Teapot dome scandal" and "Blackmer v. United States" to better understand some historical background associated with the trail. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackmer_v._United_States https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teapot_Dome_scandal https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_B._Fall

Sunday, August 26, 2018

Pretty hike, not too challenging. Was up and down the whole way as opposed to longer inclines. Path was quiet.

Sunday, July 29, 2018

Great trail! Very well-maintained. I really liked the up and down nature of it, as opposed to all up one way and all down the other. Beautiful scenery as well.

Monday, April 23, 2018

easy well maintained great views

Monday, April 16, 2018

Excellent trail for all ages, but can be a very muddy sloppy mess in wet weather here

Friday, March 09, 2018

Beautiful views, great workout. Took Blackmer Loop to Cougars Shadow, back to the loop. Definitely mountain lion territory! As of today (3/3/18) there were still some slick muddy areas, but nothing a little bushwacking along the trail couldn't avoid.

Sunday, October 08, 2017

Beautiful scenery

Sunday, August 13, 2017

My husband and I each had a kid under 2 in backpacks. This was a great trail for that! Not busy, good amount of challenge for this distance. Completed in 1 hr 45 mins with a couple of kids stops of course. Beautiful. We've had a lot of rain recently so this did have some muddy spots but not too much at all surprisingly.

Sunday, June 25, 2017

I've written a blog post about this hike @ www.break-trail.com If you'd like to read it, follow this link: https://goo.gl/LyNh7k

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

I would rate this one easy. It was nice rolling hills, some tree cover but in the sun a lot. There was a ton of mud at the bottom which made my boots feel ten pounds heavier. It was hard to find the trails at first until you noticed three little stakes in the ground that marked the trails. We ended up hiking many of the trails since they were easy ahs so short. It was fun and not very exherting.

Saturday, May 20, 2017

trails are well maintained and I would say they are easy rather than moderate difficulty

Monday, April 24, 2017

Fun hike. Good views. Definitely easy enough to do babywearing!

Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Our first hike in Cheyenne Mountain State Park. We start in Talon (from parking lot) then took ZookLoop into Blackmer Loop. We took Medicine Wheel into Zook Loop to finish at 5 miles total. A little lonely trail in Blackmer but it was good. A great park with multiple trails to choose. We will do Cheyenne Mountain State Park again.