Black Lake Trail

Black Lake Trail is a 9.7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Estes Park, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October.

Take Hwy. 36 out of Estes Park to the RMNP entrance, go to Bear Lake Rd., drive it to the Glacier Gorge Th.

Really nice trail.

This trail which also goes by Mills and Jewel Lake is beautiful. some of the best lake views in the park.

Really cool, four of my friends and I all climbed up in early June and there was a lot of snow with no discernable path. Still had great views at the top.

Mills Lake (on the way) is fantastic - highly recommended for a short to moderate hike. Black Lake was also beautiful, and the elevation gain to both points was totally manageable; didn't feel too steep. The trail has a lot of downed trees and mud after Mills Lake, but the path has been well cleared.

My first trail. Hiked in July 4 weekend and will definitely do again... with proper gear (hiking boots and trekking poles). Absolutely beautiful!!!

Did this with my daughter a week ago. Fairly easy trail,a little snow towards the top(no micros necessary). The lake is absolutely beautiful and lots of waterfalls on the way up. Went about halfway towards frozen lake before turning around. Great day, get there early as parking fills up quick. We hit the trail at 6:15am and lot was full

Awesome trail!

Amazing views at every turn. Trail was wet and sloppy especially the closer we got to Black Lake. No need to bring the ice trekkers, but bug spray is a must

Once you get past Alberta Falls, the traffic really drops off which I really appreciated. We hiked past Mills Lake and then onto Black Lake. Both lakes, rivers, views were incredible. It took us 3.5 hours from Glacier Gorge bus stop to reach Black Lake, enjoyed lunch, then headed down.

The actual trail was easy to keep on the right path. Some places were a little challenging but fun.

We saw a marmot, chipmunks. A lady we past, said she saw 9 elk but we never saw them.

Lovely. Lot at Glacier Gorge Trailhead was already full at 7am, but despite that, the trail was not as crowded as I had feared. The snow has melted off almost completely. No need for spikes.

Hard long trail but worth the time and effort

Outstanding hike! My new favorite in RMNP! I loved the view of Black Lake with all of the waterfalls above! Absolutely spectacular! We got to see a huge male elk on the way there and back.

We definitely weren't prepared for all of the snow! It was VERY slippery--we were sliding all over the place. Traction (microspikes/yaktrax) and poles would have made it a lot safer. It was pretty dangerous when we were sliding in the snow on the way down.

The trailhead lot was full at 7:30 so we parked in the shuttle lot.
Overall, an outstanding hike! Highly recommend!