Black Forest Loop

Black Forest Loop is a 2.9 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Colorado Springs, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.9 miles Elevation Gain: 331 feet Route Type: Loop

Please note that part of the trail is closed due to construction. Please consult the park's website before visiting.

The scenery was pretty. Lots of beautiful wildflowers. The trail was not easy to follow. I had to use my map on this app to guide me along. Easy hike though!

Trails seems to have changed a bit due to the fires. New trails are very well paved though.

This is always my first trail to visit when I return to high altitude in the Colorado Springs area every year. The view of Pike's Peak is always a welcomed sight. It's great to see that new trails are being built this summer. There are still very visible signs of the Black Forest fire in June 2013, but the park service is maintaining it well. Note that some of the original trails depicted on AllTrails are not as well-defined as they once were due to tree cutting, water erosion, and new trail construction.

we love this hike it may be walked with friends or family. You could even see horses on the trail.

if you want to see some of the damage from the Black Forest fire, this is the trail for you. I don't know if some of the trails were wiped out during the fires but we kept losing the trail and I was happy that I was recording our hike on All Trails so we could find our way. it was nice to see that there is some new growth coming in. Part of the trail was closed due to construction so we had to back track. If I hike in this area again, I would probably do the Black Forest Section 16 hike which is a little longer but is clearly marked.

Some parts confusing, I think the trail has changed somewhat from post-fire erosion mitigation.

Found it confusing which way to follow the trail. Some makers would be helpful. The trees were burned from the Black Forest fire. I wish I would have went on this trail before the fire. There is very little shade now. The picnic area and playground of the park are very nice. Tennis courts are also available.

Beautiful walk with a few shaded areas.

A nice walk on a beautiful day!

Easy and relatively well-maintained despite the post-fire debris fields. You cannot do the due west section of the recorded trail as residents have fenced off that portion and constructed buildings on the track. It's easy enough to skirt that portion while staying on clearly-defined trails. It's a stark reminder of what a forest fire can do and how long it takes for nature to return.

I would recommend this trail as as starter for small kids and it's dog friendly.

Sunday, August 26, 2018

Really like this trail/park. lots of fun ways to loop/crisscross back and forth to extend the distance. kids love it and the patgtou d is a great payoff.

Tuesday, July 31, 2018

This loop is great for burning calories while enjoying the forest. I recommend it for anyone who wants to get in some good and quick exercise walking or running. I think it would be aa good hike for folks who may be getting back into shape or are visiting and not used to the altitude. Remnants of past fires are still visible, but the area is regenerating nicely.

Thursday, April 05, 2018

1,000 spur trails but enjoyable!

Saturday, March 10, 2018

Great ride on the bike some good ups and downs, under-construction so main trail was kind of a pain to follow

Monday, January 08, 2018

Safe, easy for kids and great teaching lesson about the fire here.

Tuesday, January 02, 2018

Good trail, if only that wildfire hadn’t gone through, about a whole mile is in the sun, with views of some burnt trees. The rest is in the shade and beutiful. Conveniently, there is a park about 3/4 of the way through to fill up your water and rest. Good for family. Recommend the area to families with toddlers.

Saturday, October 14, 2017

We had hiked the Black Forest Regional Park before the fires four years ago. Then I'd agree on a 4-5 star rating. It was a lush and beautiful park. Now is a bit of a wasteland. If you aren't after scenery, it is a nice easy hike, great with kids and dogs but it certainly isn't very visually appealing. It seems a little like hiking through Mordor. I just didn't want anyone to be disappointed by the high ratings. I'd imagine most were give before the 2013 fires.

Friday, October 06, 2017

This easy trail has nice areas shaded with Pine trees and also has sun drenched areas due to the wild fire that moved through the area a few years ago. Trail 360 on YouTube

Wednesday, September 13, 2017

The trail shown outlined in red is no longer easily accessible about the halfway point. Looks like local homeowners are blocking access with logs.

Monday, September 11, 2017

Good little hike. Still a lot of burned area

Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Easy but pretty

Sunday, July 02, 2017

Wide rolling trail. Easy ride must share with hikers and people on horseback.

Monday, June 26, 2017