Bison Peak Summit Trail

Bison Peak Summit Trail is a 12.1 mile out and back trail located near Lake George, Colorado that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Hiked this on 11/19/17. The incline wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be; it's steep but steady all the way to the peak. Views don't really open up until you're about two-thirds in, then it's 14ers as far as the eye can see! Trail was covered in snow, not so much ice. Still, winter traction (and gear) is essential during this time of the year. The peak/summit was really windy (and cold), so I didn't stay long at the top. If I did it again, I'd probably go late summer/early fall.

Definitely a strenuous hike to the top, but the weather was great and the trail was dry and in great condition. The views and rock formations at the top are not to be missed.

Great hike! Steady incline all the way to the top, and great rock formations at the top

I loved this hike and it definitely was a tad challenging for me as I am 46 and not in the greatest shape. However I had my best Friend and motivator with me, my sweet energetic GSD. No greater hiking partner! My lungs and heart got an exercise going up and my knees and ankles got a bit challenged on the way down. I was fascinated seeing cow patties close to the top and I am now wondering how fun it would be to go on the same hike in the summer.

It ended up being over 13 miles after hiking around the formations for a while. Trail is definitely class 1 but the last 3.5 miles are strenuous. The formations are amazing! Took a bit to realize which one was the summit though. It was extremely windy once I reached the formations, and I got fairly cold, so bring an extra layer or two. I was glad I had a buff, three layers on, and my gloves, and I was still cold. Encountered some very light snow on the way up.
My 15lb dachshund made the whole trek so if he can you can!

Great hike! Most of the elevation gain is the last mile/mile and a half so watch out. Take the B. McCurdy split to the right to get to the Bison Peak rock formations.

Went up Bison Peak yesterday. The other reviews describe the climb very well... the first 2 miles start out fairly moderate and the grade gets steeper especially coming up the last part of the ridge before intersecting with B. McCurdy to head NE up to the summit plateau.
The rock formations leading up to the top were amazing. However our view was totally socked in. We were in some pretty thick cloud cover leading up to the summit and actually went to a false summit a few hundred meters to the east first until checking and realizing our error. Also take good note of the cairns marking the turn off to the summit. The B McCurdy - wilderness loop trail disappears in the tundra at this junction. I definitely would like to go up again on a clear day to take in the views. Great workout and fairly easily done in about 1/2-3/4 of a day if you are in shape. Make sure to leave early to give yourself enough time to enjoy the rock formations and explore the upper plateau. Also looked like some good camping spots up at the main trail intersection of Ute Creek and B. McCurdy.

This trail was grueling, I carried a full pack (six-pack of beer included) for an overnight. The plateau you come too before the summit is spectacular and worth an overnight camping trip. Star gazing at 12,000 feet will change your life.

Nothing overly difficult as per finding the trail or parking. I will be back to take on this climb again -

A small water source you walk next to for a while is the only one on the trail as of 7/4/17. When you cross it - fill up if you need, it's still a good 3-4 miles to the summit.

Cheers -

Difficult hike with a relentless incline. It gets harder as you go. Bring plenty of water.

This trail is an a$$ kicker, but the summit is exquisite with the super cool rock formations and views. Did it for the third time last weekend, and it never gets easier, but it's well worth it. Shaving off a few minor excursions I recorded 12.5 mi/4,035' total gain on my Garmin GPS.

We went up the right side of the summit (so started off right or east of the Monolith rock) and came around the back (which probably added 0.2 mi). We then went back down the middle, where there was a minor snowfield, but overall it was pretty much snow-free this time of year.

It gets very windy on the plateau and then the summit, so a warm ascent can feel cool once above treeline, but it was very welcome on what was a hot day down in Denver. The lesson (as always in CO hiking) is: bring layers.

Finally, we got to the TH around 8:15a and the lot was pretty full, although a second row of cars parked behind the first by the time we returned. Definitely more people have learned about this special place in the past few years, including a troop of Boy Scouts we played leap-frog with up and down the trail. Enjoy!

Excellent trail finishing in stunning views. Seriously, you could explore the summit all day. It was a shame to have to turn around and come back down again.