Bison Peak Summit Trail

Bison Peak Summit Trail is a 12.1 mile out and back trail located near Lake George, Colorado that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

It ended up being over 13 miles after hiking around the formations for a while. Trail is definitely class 1 but the last 3.5 miles are strenuous. The formations are amazing! Took a bit to realize which one was the summit though. It was extremely windy once I reached the formations, and I got fairly cold, so bring an extra layer or two. I was glad I had a buff, three layers on, and my gloves, and I was still cold. Encountered some very light snow on the way up.
My 15lb dachshund made the whole trek so if he can you can!

Great hike! Most of the elevation gain is the last mile/mile and a half so watch out. Take the B. McCurdy split to the right to get to the Bison Peak rock formations.

Went up Bison Peak yesterday. The other reviews describe the climb very well... the first 2 miles start out fairly moderate and the grade gets steeper especially coming up the last part of the ridge before intersecting with B. McCurdy to head NE up to the summit plateau.
The rock formations leading up to the top were amazing. However our view was totally socked in. We were in some pretty thick cloud cover leading up to the summit and actually went to a false summit a few hundred meters to the east first until checking and realizing our error. Also take good note of the cairns marking the turn off to the summit. The B McCurdy - wilderness loop trail disappears in the tundra at this junction. I definitely would like to go up again on a clear day to take in the views. Great workout and fairly easily done in about 1/2-3/4 of a day if you are in shape. Make sure to leave early to give yourself enough time to enjoy the rock formations and explore the upper plateau. Also looked like some good camping spots up at the main trail intersection of Ute Creek and B. McCurdy.

This trail was grueling, I carried a full pack (six-pack of beer included) for an overnight. The plateau you come too before the summit is spectacular and worth an overnight camping trip. Star gazing at 12,000 feet will change your life.

Nothing overly difficult as per finding the trail or parking. I will be back to take on this climb again -

A small water source you walk next to for a while is the only one on the trail as of 7/4/17. When you cross it - fill up if you need, it's still a good 3-4 miles to the summit.

Cheers -

Difficult hike with a relentless incline. It gets harder as you go. Bring plenty of water.

This trail is an a$$ kicker, but the summit is exquisite with the super cool rock formations and views. Did it for the third time last weekend, and it never gets easier, but it's well worth it. Shaving off a few minor excursions I recorded 12.5 mi/4,035' total gain on my Garmin GPS.

We went up the right side of the summit (so started off right or east of the Monolith rock) and came around the back (which probably added 0.2 mi). We then went back down the middle, where there was a minor snowfield, but overall it was pretty much snow-free this time of year.

It gets very windy on the plateau and then the summit, so a warm ascent can feel cool once above treeline, but it was very welcome on what was a hot day down in Denver. The lesson (as always in CO hiking) is: bring layers.

Finally, we got to the TH around 8:15a and the lot was pretty full, although a second row of cars parked behind the first by the time we returned. Definitely more people have learned about this special place in the past few years, including a troop of Boy Scouts we played leap-frog with up and down the trail. Enjoy!

Excellent trail finishing in stunning views. Seriously, you could explore the summit all day. It was a shame to have to turn around and come back down again.

6/3-6/4/17

Not a lot of info around on current conditions, so here you go.

Despite what the SP Ranger District will tell you over the phone (snow beginning at 10k feet), the trail is snow free all the way till within a few hundred feet of the actual summit. Even there you are easily able to find your way around what small amount of snow hasn't melted off. Odds are it's going to be gone this week.

Water is available via the creek up until half a mile past the wilderness boundary. Once the trail crosses the creek, that's it. Haul your own or hike to another source. Per above, there's a small bit of snow left on top of the peak that you could melt but not for long.

Trail is perfect. Little bit of deadfall to dodge in a couple spots, but otherwise dry and in good condition. Lots of day hikers until 4:00 or so, after which I shared the mountain with two other campers until the next day.

Others have described the actual hike very well. Relentless ascent from the trailhead to the summit. Awesome views from the peak, which you will have definitely earned. I spent the night up on top at 12000 feet and saw more stars than I think I have in my entire life. I watched a small herd of elk run through the forest on the way back down, but otherwise no wildlife besides a couple chipmunks running around on the plateau.

Nice hike. Not crowded. We made it within a mile and a half of the top. The elevation change is no joke.

Hiked 4 miles up, 8 miles total. Then, lost the trail in the snow. It's a beautiful hike, one of my favorite. That's a deceptively steep incline! I can't wait to do it in the spring, see the Aspen budding, and make it to the top.

gorgeous view. pretty steep starting 1/3 of the way all the way till the summit.

this trail is relentless. i'm not in the best shape, but far from the worst. once you take that turn to the northeast, its uphill until 11900. maybe one or two sections of flat where you're calves and quads get a break, but each is only about 50 yards. but MAN the top is worth the effort. amazing views and its like a bouldering playground. massive rock formations everywhere. really beautiful. highly recommended. i'll be returning in the summer for a backpacking trip.

hiked on 11-6-16, well maintained trail with amazing views at the top. As person new to CO it was a difficult trail but with the view.