Bill Moore Lake OHV Route

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(106)
Arapaho National Forest

Bill Moore Lake OHV Route is a 10.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Empire, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for ohv/off road driving and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 10.4 miles Elevation Gain: 2,785 feet Route Type: Out & Back

ohv / off road driving

A 4WD forest service road climbs the ridge North of Empire into the Mill Creek valley and up to Bill Moore Lake. Please keep in mind this road is seasonally closed during winter. Very scenic route to high mountain lake. Great place to spend a weekend exploring network of trails and historical sites, including well-preserved Conqueror Mine. Trail connects to Red Elephant Hill, Empire Loop. Great area for ATVs and UTVs with plenty of parking at the start. For current conditions call Arapaho National Forest, Clear Creek Ranger District at (303) 567-3000.

ohv/off road driving

Been running this trail for over ten years and make it a point to run it at least once a year. I’ve run it in a stock Toyota Tundra, 1997 Jeep Wrangler on 33’s, and currently a 1984 Jeep CJ7 on 43’s. This trail has a little bit of everything for all rigs. Dispersed camping is a nice option compared to trying to book a site. Fully recommend this trail for OHV.

ohv/off road driving

There is still a decent amount of snow about 2.5 miles in (even after taking the left at CR251). Give it a little longer if you plan to drive it.

ohv/off road driving

It was a great drive. it was amazing seeing how far my jeep can go. it's not lifted and we made it all the way to the top

private property

Trail was awesome but I do have to disagree with the moderate rating it's definitely an easy Trail I did it for the first time in the snow on October 20th 2019 in a stock 7.3 L Powerstroke crew cab extended bed truck stock wheels and tires manual tranny and transfer case it was an easy climb even in the snow the start of the trail it's probably the hardest in the snow at least I cannot attest to the trail dry but if you have a SUV or truck all wheel drive or 4 wheel drive decent ground clearance you'll be fine you do not need any aftermarket additions to do this Trail even in the snow I kept my tires at 30 PSI I did drop them down from 90 PSI when I got there if you look on the trail map it may seem it would be easy to take a wrong turn the main path is very easily laid out going up you can't really take a wrong turn going down it's easier to take a wrong turn so try to give yourself landmarks on all of the forks for the way down absolutely recommend this Trail I plan to go back next time it snows as well last thing I will say is there's a lot of private property most of it is clearly marked with Gates thought that would be something to mention

A great trail for those wanting to get some off road adventure. There are a few minor technical spots that requires the right line. We were in a stock rental jeep so I was particularly careful. We went at 11AM and no opposing traffic. There was a bit coming back down. Also didn't make it up to the lake due to time constraints but close. Great for a beginner wanting to learn.

ohv/off road driving

Drove all the way up here with the intention of camping, only to find there is a county wide fire ban. There was no mention of this at all on the official US Forest Service page for this area; in fact there were 3 fire danger indicators in the upper right corner that all said "Low". Extremely crummy of the US Forest Service. Then again, what do expect from government entities under this administration.

ohv/off road driving

Started at 9am. Parking area already full. Trail easy-moderate using Atvs. Mostly jeeps/4-wheel vehicles yesterday. Very impressed with this App. Alerts u when u r off-trail!

2019 Cherokee Trailhawk. made it to the lake no problem

ohv/off road driving

Lower section is pretty rough but it mellows towards the top. Lots of roads to explore!

ohv/off road driving

This was my first off road trail ever. I had two other very experienced people with me which made it a lot better. But seemed pretty intense to me! Ha. Going up was the tough part- the views were beautiful but tons of mosquitos. Going down was a breeze. Happy to finally got out there!

Beautiful trail and a great first time Wheeling. I learned a lot about that my Jeep XJ could handle with minimal mods that paid off on the next trail. I would definitely do it again.

This trail would be incredible if you have a decent rig. My stock Ford Explorer with oversized tires and decent ground clearance barely made it 1/2 way before the check engine light came on. Absolutely take it slow and make sure you know what you’re doing. Very washed out, big rocks, and hard to navigate... wish we could have made it but we’re turning around! 5 stars because I know this trail would kick ass with the right vehicle and the views thus far are incredible!

ohv/off road driving

Did this trail June of ‘19 on KTM525EXC. Just as we went over the peak and we’re making the descent towards the lake, the trail became impassable. Steep climbs and some rain made it a little on the moderate/advanced rider skill level, but such a good time nonetheless. Incredible views and a good mix of forest with open rocky mountain face. Can’t wait to get back to finish what we started.

Great trail! A few technical spots. Nothing crazy if you have 4×4. The views at that end are definitely worth your time.

ohv/off road driving

Some rocky areas, some areas where it’s difficult to manage oncoming traffic, certainly need a higher clearance vehicle. Overall fun drive, wonderful views, great camping locations. Would love to drive it again

ohv/off road driving

Beautiful views throughout. Nothing too crazy. Stock 3rd Gen Tacoma TRD Sport got us through everything without problems. Keep in mind you are not able to drive all the way down to the lake. Campsites are situated just above the lake. Maybe a 1/4 mile away or less.

ohv/off road driving

Took my 2019 stock JLU Rubicon with no problems at all. Beautiful views. At the lake there’s a huge boulder our group used for photo opps. Took a couple hours getting to the lake. Lots of mosquitoes. I took deet and was fine. Lots of rock climbing going up. Coming down you can go a little faster.

ohv/off road driving

Happy to have our 2 1/2 lift and our off road tires on our Toyota Tacoma. Not sure a stock truck could make it without scraping bottom. Beautiful flowers, pretty lil lake. Some camping spots, however during the day UTV’s are all over the place. Beautiful drive!

ohv/off road driving

Took my stock Lexus GX470 on this yesterday. The trail was doable but definitely at the vehicle's max. Took me 2 hours each way. Only passed one Jeep on my way up and a group of 2 Jeeps on my way out. The time at the lake itself was just my two dogs and me. Beautiful Colorado alpine lake, nestled at the basin of a gorgeous bowl that still has a decent amount of snow up top (even a well defined cornice remains). The marshy areas attract mosquitoes although my visit had a strong enough breeze to keep them mostly away. I only had a handful of deep puddles to cross. No mud.

ohv/off road driving

Great trail!! Not too much traffic on a Sunday even. There are some tough spots mostly because it’s very steep. But doable. There some fun off shoots that you can go on that increase difficulty. The lake is stunning. However as others have said the mosquitoes are unreal. Be prepared. We went to scope out a camp spot and we will not be staying by the lake. There are other spots along the way instead. There’s other trails that are optional but some options are closed off. Make sure you have pretty high clearance and a good amount of time to explore!!