Big South Trail

Big South Trail is a 6.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Glen Haven, Colorado that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from December until May. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.5 miles Elevation Gain: 1,128 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Hiked on 1/20/20. Went 2.6 miles in from the TH, at which point there were no more tracks in the snow. Beyond this point, you'd be blazing trail in deep snow. Up to this point, the entire trail was hard packed snow. I wore spikes for traction, which was very helpful. Snowshoes not necessary right now unless you plan on going off trail or past the point where you can walk on the established track.

Awesome trail for showshoeing! I wouldn’t do it without spikes or a pole for stability. I was fairly challenged in some spots. We felt like the trail knocked us down a few times but overall it was an epic day!

Hiked on 9/13/19. Sunny day, morning cool, warmer later. Went up about 3.3 miles to sign for campsite #8 and turned around. Almost 2 miles up is a major rock traverse with a defined trail through so not bad. About 2.3 miles is a bridge to cross over beautiful May Creek. Approach turn around point through another shorter rock traverse, Grass Creek and small sandy beach area. One could continue on to washed out bridge at 7 miles on the trail. Trail mostly in trees with some open areas. Mostly follows Poudre River for a scenic and enjoyable hike. Note that restroom is about 500' up the highway from trail head.

We did a 2.5 mile out and back. Nice trail beautiful water scenery. We did not experience much in the way of mosquitos. The hike was not very steep at all.

bridge out

Hiked to May Creek. Beautiful trail. Plenty of flowers and nice mix of sun and shade. Small slide. Easy crossing with my poles.

Absolutely beautiful. Easy going, not technical. Right along the river for most of it. Maybe saw bear poop? Only hiked 3.5 miles in due to time, but looking forward to finishing it out (and hopefully camping at one of the spots along the way) next time. Good go-to hike for when time will allow for the drive.

bridge out

I completed a quick overnight on June 29th and stayed on the Big South Trail. Camped at site 12. Be mindful of crossing a waterfall right before sites 8 and 9, kind of sketchy but doable if you're careful. No snow. Gorgeous hike but lots of buggy friends. Bring plenty of bug juice!

Sun Dec 02 2018

Great trail, snowshoed this on December 1st 2018. could have gotten away with yaks or just heavy tread hiking boots, but certain spots were deeper and icy. great trail.

Sat Sep 22 2018

Beautiful, easy trail.

Sun Sep 16 2018

Snowshoed this in late January. Great trail for snowshoes and dog walking.

Wed Jul 25 2018

Amazing trail that runs along the Poudre most of the way. Great views at higher elevations along the trail. Watch missing 411 documentary before or after your hike depending on how freaked out you wanna be.

Thu Jun 28 2018

Easy hike along the Poudre River. Tons of places to go off and down by the water. So happy that I brought my chacos so that I could get in the river to cool off. Made it about 3 miles in and turned around.

Mon Jun 25 2018

Beautiful hike. Fair foot traffic late on a Saturday morning/early afternoon. Wildflowers were abundant and stunning, including classic Colorado columbines. Hiked to the May Creek bridge and then back out. No snow and just a few wet/muddy patches on the trail.

Sun Jun 24 2018

Loved it! Stunning views and close to the river

Sun Jun 03 2018

Great views of rapids along trail! Trail upkeep best I have encountered yet.

Sun May 27 2018

Beautiful hike! Did the almost 3 miles to the footbridge over May Creek, just beyond campsite 6, absolutely stunning the entire way. The rocky outcropping(I think between campsite 5 and 6) was a little sketchy at one point when a rock shifted under my footing, but it was fine after that little spot.

Fri May 18 2018

Beautiful hike! You hike alone the river most of the time. A lot of water on the trail and a tiny bit of snow, but definitely easy to maneuver. Right before the end of the Big South Trail a waterfall washes out the trail. It’s probably doable to cross but I was alone and figured it was safer to turn back. But seriously beautiful!

Sun Mar 04 2018

Really fun, peaceful trail in the summer with gorgeous views of the river.

Mon Feb 26 2018

Great easy/peaceful trail. We snowshoe'd about 3mi out. Although we did see some people skiing, the trail is narrow and has some rocks showing, so caution.

Sat Jan 27 2018

Hiked this last week. lots of snow, but fairly well packed along the trail. no snowshoe necessary. beautiful as always. only went as far as grass creek.

Tue Aug 22 2017

A fun place to hike in with, as mentioned, many campsite with an amazing trail parallel to the Poudre.

Wed Aug 09 2017

Beautiful hike that follows the poudre river. Camped at site #16 which had nice access to the water. Bridge definitely out at ~ 7miles, hard to tell there was even a bridge there.

Sun Jul 02 2017

I'd call this a moderately trafficked trail. Beautiful views of the Poudre. There's a rocky part of the trail that made me nervous for my long-legged, clumsy dog (she slipped a few times) but it was doable. Otherwise a good hike for both of us.

Mon May 15 2017

Hiked this during peak runoff, the views of the river are amazing, the trail itself is quite easy aside from the distance. Hiking all the way to the washed out bridge is a 14 mile round trip. During peak runoff I was able to make it 3.7 miles from the highway 14 TH until I came across a raging torrent of a runoff stream going right across the trail, I didn't have the gear to safely cross so turned around there.

Sun Jul 03 2016

We went 4 miles in and turned around and went 4 miles back... We just didn't have time time to go further. Loved this hike!! It was very easy and covered in wildflowers with great river views and loads of butterflies! Can't wait to go back.