Big South Trail

Big South Trail is a 6.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Bellvue, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, camping, and snowshoeing and is best used from December until May. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great views of rapids along trail! Trail upkeep best I have encountered yet.

Beautiful hike! Did the almost 3 miles to the footbridge over May Creek, just beyond campsite 6, absolutely stunning the entire way. The rocky outcropping(I think between campsite 5 and 6) was a little sketchy at one point when a rock shifted under my footing, but it was fine after that little spot.

Beautiful hike! You hike alone the river most of the time. A lot of water on the trail and a tiny bit of snow, but definitely easy to maneuver. Right before the end of the Big South Trail a waterfall washes out the trail. It’s probably doable to cross but I was alone and figured it was safer to turn back. But seriously beautiful!

Really fun, peaceful trail in the summer with gorgeous views of the river.

Great easy/peaceful trail. We snowshoe'd about 3mi out. Although we did see some people skiing, the trail is narrow and has some rocks showing, so caution.

Hiked this last week. lots of snow, but fairly well packed along the trail. no snowshoe necessary. beautiful as always. only went as far as grass creek.

We hiked this in early January, and the trail was completely covered in snow. It was absolutely beautiful, very peaceful and serene. We didn’t see a single person the entire hike. This is a pretty easy hike, but it is one of the prettiest hikes we’ve ever done. Can’t wait to go back and try it in the summer! Highly recommend.

A fun place to hike in with, as mentioned, many campsite with an amazing trail parallel to the Poudre.

Beautiful hike that follows the poudre river. Camped at site #16 which had nice access to the water. Bridge definitely out at ~ 7miles, hard to tell there was even a bridge there.

I'd call this a moderately trafficked trail. Beautiful views of the Poudre. There's a rocky part of the trail that made me nervous for my long-legged, clumsy dog (she slipped a few times) but it was doable. Otherwise a good hike for both of us.

Monday, May 15, 2017

Hiked this during peak runoff, the views of the river are amazing, the trail itself is quite easy aside from the distance. Hiking all the way to the washed out bridge is a 14 mile round trip. During peak runoff I was able to make it 3.7 miles from the highway 14 TH until I came across a raging torrent of a runoff stream going right across the trail, I didn't have the gear to safely cross so turned around there.

Sunday, July 03, 2016

We went 4 miles in and turned around and went 4 miles back... We just didn't have time time to go further. Loved this hike!! It was very easy and covered in wildflowers with great river views and loads of butterflies! Can't wait to go back.

Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Moderate to difficult hike, great views along the river

Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Good challenge in snowshoes. Some tricky sections of rocks to navigate but overall a really nice trail with beautiful scenery. We felt like we'd had a good workout by the time we finished. best part was that we went on a Saturday and only saw a couple of other hikers at the end of the trail.

Sunday, July 13, 2014

The actual trail from highway 14 is moderate to difficult. Steep inclines and rocky terrains make this adventure a work out. The trail is 10 miles to the edge of RMNP and 7 miles to a now washed out bridge. Great for fly fishing and kayaking. Bring lots of water.

Monday, June 12, 2017