Big Meadows Trail

Big Meadows Trail is a 7.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Estes Park, Colorado that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, birding, and horses and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Hiked this loop during the peak Aspen color. Saw a Ptarmigan within the first 1/2 mile of trail heading up to the meadow and last was the last wild life for the day. Saw two people coming down from the meadow, and no one else until the meadow. They headed further east up to to Green Mountain, and we headed north, ccw around the loop. The hike was in the trees / shade the entire time. The river along the downhill northern most part of the loop was good to listen too. The trail was dry the entire loop.
Very secluded, which spooked my wife. Total distance was 7.7 miles covered in 3:15 hrs total time.

Nice trail. Beautiful meadow. Be sure to bring binoculars to scan the meadow and high mountains.

Trailhead wasn't too busy. Good parking spots available. Lots of bugs. Bring your bug repellent of choice. Trail started out a little steeper than anticipated. Was a bit toasty on this particular day, but there were nicely shaded areas. Start early!

Beautiful hike. Trail well maintained and easy to follow.

We parked at Green Mtn trailhead and started at about 7 AM. We walked counter-clockwise so we'd get to Big Meadows first while it was still early and were rewarded with 5 moose in the southern section of the meadow. Great hike!

Beautiful trail!

Great hike mainly through the woods, but we did spot some moose in the open meadow on the Big Meadow stretch. It took us about 3.5 hours to do the whole loop. The snow at higher elevation slowed us down a little. It's currently mid-May and there were some snow piles that had places that were knee deep. Wear good water proof shoes!

Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Made this a 6-mile out and back from Green Mtn TH, as we were breaking trail past the turnoff to Granite Falls, but I'm guessing the loop would have been passable the entire way. Conditions were perfect, a few inches of snow and very little ice, no traction devices needed. Get out there!

Saturday, September 02, 2017

Did this as a loop, starting at Green Mt, going along Big Meadows and taking Onahu Creek and connector trail back to the start. Big Meadows is lovely, but we saw no moose.

Sunday, June 25, 2017

Nice trail with tons of moose!

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Meadow was beautiful but trail in poor condition in sections after snowmelt and especially due to horse traffic. Hikers must acquiesce while the beasts trod on unaffected! I would have given trail a 4 rating for the majestic meadows alone were it not for the trail condition.

Thursday, August 11, 2016

I read 3.5-4 hours but can be done much faster. I did it in 2.25 with a couple stops. Nice meadows. Trail is undergoing a bit of maintenance due to wet/muddy conditions.

Sunday, July 20, 2014

Not a bad day hike... Remember to bring your bug spray....the Mosquitos were horrible. Overall I liked the views at the meadow at the end of the hike, there is a running creek through the meadow that makes for some really great panoramic photos.

The elevation gain was okay as I completed the hike carrying our daughter on my back in her carrier. We started at the green mountain trailhead and hiked to the big meadows which was only 3.8 miles there and back. Plan on about three hours with kiddos.

Thursday, July 17, 2014

This is a good hike with not a lot of people. We hiked a loop up Green Mountain Trail, across Tonahutu, and down Onahu Creek, then took the Onahu Creek back to Green Mountain Trail head. Mosquitos were really bad but the wildlife and wildflowers made for a great hike.

Sunday, July 28, 2013

We normally spend our time on the east side of RMNP and came here to hike for one reason: the elusive moose!

I wasn't particularly impressed with the hike itself. The trees here are not nearly as attractive as many on the east side of the park, in my opinion. The pine beetle damage was very bad through here, and you don't get the overlook views that you do on many hikes on the east side.

There are multiple small meadow areas here which are nice. There were lots of bugs — something we hadn't experienced much of in RMNP.

We also hiked a loop coming up Green Mountain Trail, across Tonahutu, and down Onahu Creek, finishing by hiking Onahu Creek TH to Green Mountain TH. I'd probably recommend the reverse of this, as Big Meadows and the cabins near there were the scenic highlight of the trip and I think I prefer Green Mountain to Onahu.

We finally got our moose a few hundred yards before the hike ended, which I guess made it worth the trip.

recorded Colette Hike