Big Dominguez Canyon is a 12.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Whitewater, Colorado that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 12.3 miles Elevation Gain: 1,112 feet Route Type: Out & Back

historic site

Awesome route!! Ended up having a few thunderstorms but there were plenty of places to pull off and wait it out. Would highly recommend taking this trail!

bug spray is pretty necessary. we backpacked in as you can camp overnight at the end of this trail, or further out if you desire. bug spray is necessary for the first 2 miles, but didn't have much trouble with bugs after leaving the river portion at the beginning. the trail is hard to follow in places but we found our way back easily each time

Great trail. Super busy. Went on this trail past the bridge and to the first water fall. Hiked with three kids under 6 and a pup, they all did great. Easy for kids because at the beginning there’s no vertical incline. Rangers were actively out. Parking was very fully but thankfully people were coming and going so there was a steady flow of open spots

Great path! The trails weren't crowded at all, but a good amount of campers. Started at about 2:38pm and made it to the petroglyphs then circled back. Even saw a dead cow in the river floating upside down.

Awesome! Lots of water for dogs and great views the further up the canyon you go!

Pros-Trail was very easy and views were beautiful. The waterfalls and swimming holes were nice to cool off in on a hot day. Definitely made for a fun day, lots to see and explore. Cons- This is a very heavily trafficked trail. I would suggest going early to avoid the large crowds. We had stopped at one of the water holes and were cooling off when a family of about 10 kids and 3 adults came running in, slashing and yelling loudly, trampling over our shoes and backpacks. They were disturbing all the other hikers most of the day as well. Also, go early due to parking. We were lucky we found spot. We arrived about 10am and it was packed. Overall this hike is truly beautiful, a must do.

VERY pretty and can adapt to any length you’re looking to do! Would recommend as a spring or early morning hike due to heat. Only downside is parking, was terrible when I went and barely found a spot. Road to trailhead is super narrow for cars going in two directions

Great trail! Easy to follow. I took my two year old and he was able to hike as much as he wanted. I would suggest going in the morning, since it gets pretty busy in the early afternoon and makes parking difficult

A M A Z I N G T R A I L - One of the most beautiful hikes I’ve done in Colorado. Awesome views and water features. Highly recommend!

If you love scenic hikes this is a good one to go on. We swam in every water fall and the trail was pretty easy.

Great trail! One of my favorites by far. Amazing scenery and beautiful waterfall! Lots to explore!

beautiful day, lots of people

LOVE LOVE LOVE beautiful views, got off trail only twice but wasnt hard to find way back. Pretty hot when sun is out.

Nice trail with stunning views. I like that there are old pioneer/miner/cowboy remnants along the way. Lots of quartz and cool rocks. Happy to be able to be alongside the river for a bit for the dogs sake. It was hot and it’s only early spring now!

LONG, hot and worth it! Perfect for older kiddos and dogs

Big Dominguez Canyon Trail is technically 22 miles. The AllTrails version is 13 miles and doesn’t really have a good end point... it just randomly ends. That being said, it’s a good hike, views are cool. But probably wouldn’t do it again anytime soon.

Did this for a college trip, started at the parking lot, headed to Little Dominguez, up a canyon, o top of the Mesa, across and back down into the parking lot.

the views were beautiful but it kinda hard to do with the amount of bugs and majority bite pretty hard. we forgot bug spray though. definitely recommend but sunscreen bug spray and lots of water are a must. very clean too

This trail was incredibly well maintained and provided many fun opportunities. We backpacked in about 3 miles to create our home base. Then during the day ventured up the river, spending hours in the cool water and exploring the rocks. We spotted almost 30 sheep and many lizards! Definitely recommend this spot for a short day hike/swim or a week long excursion.

great trail. lots of bugs, bring spray! have fun!!

Rolling trail slightly elevated as it parallels creek. Plenty of places to enjoy creek and falls.

Wed May 29 2019

Was a very fun trail to hike, made it about 4 miles in before I decided to turn back around. Water is flowing rapidly and the small waterfalls are tremendous!!

Mon May 20 2019

I went in late April and enjoyed the easy grade, cool weather and beautiful scenery. Lots of interesting history along the way, i wished I would have known more about the area before I went. Great trail! Note: no car camping available at the trailhead, I was a bit confused about camping availability and was glad I planned ahead for not camping there.