Bierstadt Lake Trail

Bierstadt Lake Trail is a 3 mile out and back trail located near Estes Park, Colorado that features a lake. The trail is rated as moderate offers a number of activity options.

Bierstadt Lake Trail is a nice hike. I tried it instead of the more popular trails. I decided to drive to the park and drive lot at 6 am and found myself as the second vehicle at the parking lot. I hiked up to the lake and it was a nice quiet hike. I did the loop and took the trail down to Bear Lake Rd once at the bottom, I took the trail next to Bear Lake Rd back to the Park and Ride. It was a good hike for an estimate of 4 miles.

I loved this hike, one of my favorites of RMNP. I parked at the Bierstadt parking lot, but you can also take the shuttle bus from the park and ride. I was surprised that there were a few people on this hike, which made it more beautiful. You go through a forest & end up at the beautiful lake with amazing views. There are many switchbacks, but it’s worth it!

Great hike!

I did this hike over Memorial Day weekend when crowds were very high, and I was pleasantly surprised with how few people were on this trail. We parked at the park and ride lot and were immediately turned off from taking the shuttle by the hundred or so people already in line, so we took this trail that started at the back of the lot. Bierstadt Lake was gorgeous, and I'm guessing much more peaceful than the more popular ones. I'd take that over a crowd any day. What is nice about this hike is that it doesn't have to be an out and back or a lollipop. You can turn it into a one-way with a shuttle, which is what we did by going all the way to Bear Lake and taking the bus back to the park and ride lot.

Hiked this yesterday, 5/25/18. The hike up from the main park and ride is rocky and exposed for the first .5 or so. Given the altitude gain, it’s a better route than the one up from the Bierstadt Park and ride. Once you’re in the forest it’s much nicer. This trail takes you around the top of the lake but it’s worth doing the whole loop. Dry, dirt trail in the forest.

Second moderate trail I've completed. Fine series of switchbacks, trail in good condition with a beautiful visual reward at the top!

Awesome switchback trail snow shoes needed beautiful lake views and only a handful of locals - great trail

8/20/2015
First hike with Ashley

Showshoes needed as the trail was visible but had new snow cover from the past week. Nothing remarkable other than was very windy at the lake (as usual). Lake was frozen over and primarily ice visible with some snow.
Good hike!