High Lonesome Trail, King Lake Trail, Bob and Betty Lakes Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(26)
Winter Park, Colorado

High Lonesome Trail, King Lake Trail, Bob and Betty Lakes Trail is a 3.7 mile out and back trail located near Winter Park, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, running, and fishing.

Length3.7 miElevation gain1,125 ftRoute typeOut & back
FishingHikingWalkingRunningLakeViewswild-flowersWildlife
Description
Waypoints (0)
Getting There

Betty and Bob Lakes via King Lake from Rollins Pass Road

The road up to the trailhead is not maintained and is extremely rough. The 13 mile drive can take over an hour to complete.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (27)
Photos (158)
Recordings (17)
Completed (69)
Kaitlynn H
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 10, 2020
Hiking

This has possibly been my favorite hike I’ve done this year. I did this about 2 months ago during the wildfires, and have some amazing pictures from the day. The road up to this definitely requires a 4x4 vehicle. I just have a Jeep Patriot and easily made it up, but definitely recommend 4x4 because some parts of the road are not great. Anyway, when I reached the TH, there were maybe 4 or 5 other vehicles there, and I saw very few people the entire time. The most people I saw was on the hike back when I encountered some people hiking the longer trail to King Lake from the Hessie TH. At Bob Lake, I spent about an hour there and I thought I had the entire lake to myself until I realized there were 3 skiers in the distance. I also highly recommend stopping at the unnamed lake right next to King. I stopped there on my hike back, and it’s lovely with lots of wildflowers everywhere.

Carolyn Cohen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 8, 2020
HikingGreat!

Trail itself is awesome. Very cool sweeping views and the lakes are a great sight. Windy and chilly up there without any tree cover! Mostly writing the review about the drive- took us an hour plus in a BMW X3. Intense from mile 6-11 up the mountain. Some sections with deep dips and holes and other sections with big rocks to navigate. We thought it was worth it and made for a unique day!

Sue Hagerty
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 4, 2020
Hiking

The trail is in good shape and easy to follow. The lakes are beautiful and the hike is a nice length - 2 miles one way. However, the road up is really rough. Highly recommend a 4WD with high clearance. 14 miles and takes about an hour to drive it in good weather. Highly recommend the hike though

View Sue 's Recording
Vicky Garrison
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 3, 2020
Bill G
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 26, 2020
Hiking

The views were worth the climb. barely. That drive up was treacherous in my Tahoe. Need more clearance. The wind was outrageous and would blow over a skinny man. It brought the smoke from Williams Fork fire. Still, i say 'go' and have no regrets.

View Bill's Recording
Vicky Garrison
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 22, 2020
HikingGreat!

This trail head directions are flawed because it’s blocked right off the highway. We found another way up over the pass but it’s longer drive. Odd that this isn’t clear.

Joe Darpino
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 6, 2020
Hiking

Beautiful Trail! Definitely bumpy coming up, but if you have AWD you should be fine. Take Corona Pass from winter park. Other way is closed.

View Joe's Recording
Rick Marriner
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 28, 2020
Hiking

Hiked in late August, but was still surprised at how cold it can be if an afternoon shower combines with the wind. Pack and dress for surprise downpours on this side of the Continental Divide. Other than some uncomfortable weather, the views were wonderful and the trail well marked and a modest moderate. We come from sea level, so the 11k foot elevation slows us down. All in all, a great hike that we actually returned to the next day for some scrambling along the upper lake (King). NOTE : The road to the trailhead is via Corona Pass Forrest Service Road and we were glad to have our 4x4 Ford Expedition. Anything lower and I think we would have bottomed out a few times.

View Rick's Recording
Sarah Koster
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 10, 2020
HikingGreat!RockyScramble

This was an absolutely beautiful hike; one of my favorites. The wildflowers were the best I've seen, and there were not many people on the trail. My favorite part is the waterfall, but it's definitely worth it to cross over and finish the trail to see Betty and Bob Lakes. The most challenging aspect is certainly the drive up Rollins Pass Road -- we took it very slow in our small crossover SUV and did OK, but the road was very rough with lots of rocks and it probably took us an hour to drive the 13 miles up the pass. If you stop at the Visitors' Center at Winter Park, you can buy a small booklet ($1 suggested donation) about the history of the railroad up there and it will tell you interesting things about different mile markers and about the ghost town at the top-- it made the long, slow, bumpy drive up actually pretty interesting! Definitely recommend!

Dan Barker
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 2, 2020
HikingRocky

I hit this trail in perfect calm sunny weather! Trail itself not hard but there are some minor scramble sections that don’t last long but need some extra attention. I tried fly fishing king lake and the other two down that trail but didn’t see anything let alone catch anything. Not an ideal fishing local but the area is quite beautiful and calming. Recommend for a group, be better with friends!!

View Dan's Recording
Ben Feaver
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 1, 2020
View Ben's Recording
Neil Waggoner
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 31, 2020
HikingGreat!

A great trail. Our lifetime best. The road there is rough, so a vehicle with a fair amount of ground clearance is best. We drove a standard GMC Yukon with no problem. If you don’t want a super strenuous hike, just go down to the waterfall.

ETB Travel Photography
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 26, 2020
HikingMuddySnow

This was a spectacular hike. Lots of lakes. Amazing wildflowers. Still some snow. Wet trail, but it rained the night before. Requires wading, leaping, or carefully rock hopping across one creek. Road up is a bit of beating, but the reward for the hiking effort is very good. More info and pics: https://etbtravelphotography.com/2020/08/16/happy-hiking-winter-park/

Debbie Scofield
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 18, 2020
Hiking

I drove up to the pass on Saturday. The road gets rough after a few miles, but with careful driving it was very doable in my Subaru Forester. The pass is gorgeous and well worth the drive. Lots of wildflowers!

Dani Beutell
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 12, 2020
HikingRockySnow

Beautiful trail with gorgeous views and diverse terrain—once you get there. The road in is a rough ride. 1hour+ each way just to get to the trail head and very rugged. Even our Subaru found it challenging and several sedans were turning around to head back. Make sure your car is up to the task. High altitude, starts above tree line. A few spots there was alpine snow over the trail. I recommend coming when you can spend the day and make the most of it. A highlight was crossing the waterfall :)

Franki Saldivar
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 5, 2020
HikingBugsNo shadeSnow
First to Review

I had a hard time deciding whether to give this trail three or four stars. The views of the lakes are beautiful but it took me over an hour to go up Corona Pass to get to the trailhead and the same amount of time to get back down. The first three miles aren't bad but the last ten are terrible. That being said, the trail is very pretty and the lakes are beautiful. The trail starts as a descent. Right now there is a very large snow bank on a hill to be crossed which made me a little nervous (I don't us poles because I'm carrying a camera) but there were several people crossing it with no problem. There weren't many mosquitoes until I got close to the lake. I went to the first two lakes, rested a while then turned back. Dark clouds began rolling in and I didn't want to get caught in a storm. I might like to come back to this one some day in the future and visit all three lakes but I don't know if I want to deal with the road up there again.

Cb Bryant
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 9, 2020
View Cb's Recording
Shaun Kandalec
Gray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 25, 2020
View Shaun's Recording
Jake Sinning
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 5, 2020
View Jake's Recording
Stan Smith
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 4, 2020
View Stan's Recording
Derek Westbrook
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 28, 2020
View Derek's Recording
Mary Mack
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 25, 2020
View Mary's Recording
Scott Peluso
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 12, 2020
Running
View Scott's Recording
Chris Furlong
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 1, 2020
Skiing