Berrypicker Trail

Berrypicker Trail is a 6.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Vail, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

If you do this hike while the gondola is running you can chose to skip either the uphill or downhill portions of the hike by taking the gondola, however, the hike is an enjoyable out and back as well.

I loved all the trails on Vail Mountain. They can connect all together to make a day out of hiking and enjoying the scenery. Once you get to the top the trails ease up a bit and you can enjoy the view. You also have option to take gondola up. Fun activities like obstacle course, kids activities, and more to enjoy as well!

Great trail. Well marked. Branch out on strawberry lane to go to Vail Village.

Great hike! Leads you up Vail mountain through beautiful patches of aspens and pines and through meadows. Once we got to the top of Eagles Nest we traversed the mtn on Grand Escape trail and down Kinnikinnick trail to the mid-Vail gondola. About 6 Miles all together and was amazing. Great views and a variety of landscapes. Not very busy on a Tuesday. The only downside is that the first mile is really steep and you hear the highway until about 1.5 miles into the hike. Don’t let that deter you. Was the only hike we did while in two for two nights and was a memorable one!

Very nice hike up the slopes. The elevation makes it pretty challenging, but it was doable for our 11 year old. Mix of forest and crossing the meadows on the ski slopes. Saw lots of berries (both edible and not). Had a nice lunch on top at the Eagles Nest. On the way down we diverted to Strawberry Trail for the last stretch to mix it up, which was nice. That feeds out into Vail Village about 10 minutes from the trailhead in Lionshead.

One of my favorite hikes in the valley for sure! The hike is supposedly the most difficult in the area, I would agree that statement.

The path is steep but, dotted with berries and unique plants and wildlife. there are several streams and resting points on this trail. Feels great to hike to the top, stop for a beer and take the gondola down. 10/10 Will hike again.

When we first got there, I was surprised this was at the ski resort. I wasn’t sure what to expect, but was pleasantly surprised. You wind through the trees on the way up, which provides some nice shade and some beautiful views. It’s a fairly difficult hike, the elevation is brutal and it’s steep. But definitely worth it and great exercise. There are restaurants and activities at the top, and you can ride the gondola down if you want to. We did because we were pressed for time but I’d love to go again someday when we aren’t so rushed. The wildflowers were very pretty.

Close to city, not hard, adventure park at top, mountain bikers, a gondola. If easy access and options to not hike one way is your thing then this is for you. Otherwise, pass haha

This was the second time I did it and was harder than I remember. Thinking about needing to exercise more.p

Hiked it 6/12/18 with my dog one-way and rode the gondola back down. Gorgeous and perfect weather! I'm a bit out of shape and there were a few sections that kicked my tail (not the dog's!) but I did it and was well rewarded by spectacular views along the trail and at the top, plus lots of gorgeous wildflowers in bloom on lower sections of the trail. Plus a bonus meal and beer at the top! Be sure to bring sunscreen and plenty of water for you and your canine companion.

The trail itself was clear and well-marked, however, the constant switchbacks on the trail made it less enjoyable. I would also rate it as "heavily trafficked"; we passed numerous people on the trail, and many dogs as well. It was a challenging hike because of the elevation gain and steep inclines, so be aware of those as you set your pace. We hiked up the trail and then took the gondola ride down from Eagles Nest.

Very steep with lots of switchbacks. If that’s your thing, the views are more than worth it. This is a somewhat strenuous trail because of the gain.

Great hike up with nice elevation gain of 2800 feet. Thin air as peak is at 10300 feet. Was pretty strenuous as a result.

Wildflowers, views, shaded resting spots, can choose to ride the gondola down. Poles helped.

Great hike up from Lionshead. Steep first section and steep again at the end. Took the gondola down. Took my dog up it. Wide enough to pass people. Quite a few off leash dogs though.

The wildflowers are beautiful on this hike! It’s fun to see the ski slopes in a whole new light, and you have the added benefit of a gondola ride down if you choose.

Beautiful hike. The snow has melted so the trail was dry and clear.

Beautiful!

Amazing hike. Think about taking Strawberry Lane back down when you get to where it splits.

Hiked this 5/25 and the trail is in really good condition for how early it is in the season. A few snowfields and a little mud at higher elevation.

Steep trail with great views

Did this on September 13, 2017. Climb right out of Lionshead is very steep - for about first half mile. It's steep nearly the entire way but that first segment is the hardest. Beautiful views at the top. Check the gondola schedule if you want to ride it back down. Ran into a guy at the top who was planning to take it down and didn't check the schedule to see it wasn't running that day.

Very steep trail following the gondola and ski lifts. Since it is in the ski area, I would not call it a "wilderness area", but it is beautiful. It gets crowded in the summer, but it is a great trail during the fall when the trees are golden, and the crowds are gone. The only problem in the off season is that the gondola and Eagles Nest may be closed. So if you are planning to ride the gondola down, check the operating hours first.

I LOVE the workout on this trail! The gondola ride down affords a steep hike up with no knee pain.

Varied steady uphill climb. Wildflowers still there in late august, but already drying. Fantastic views once you get past the trees, which give great shade in the beginning. One of our favorite hikes in town.

Always my first hike when I am in the Vail area! Takes about 2 hours going up at a leisurely pace and can take the gondola down for free (dogs can ride down too). Good mix of aspens and open fileds. Amazing views from the top of Gore mountains.

Monday, August 21, 2017

Lovely trail! Had an awesome experience! Can't wait to go back

Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Long time to get to the top :-)

Wednesday, August 09, 2017

Great hike! Pretty & uphill all the way.

Sunday, August 06, 2017

Great morning hike about 3 miles to the top that takes about 90 minutes. We took our 4 and 2 year old boys about a mile up the following day. Not an "easy" hike with young kids but they loved it.

Friday, August 04, 2017

Had a blast on this trail! Hoping to do it again tomorrow morning! It's just weird getting to the top and having all the hustle and bustle of the adventure park if you just want peace and quiet.