Berrypicker Trail

Berrypicker Trail is a 6.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Vail, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

If you do this hike while the gondola is running you can chose to skip either the uphill or downhill portions of the hike by taking the gondola, however, the hike is an enjoyable out and back as well.

Steep trail with great views

Did this on September 13, 2017. Climb right out of Lionshead is very steep - for about first half mile. It's steep nearly the entire way but that first segment is the hardest. Beautiful views at the top. Check the gondola schedule if you want to ride it back down. Ran into a guy at the top who was planning to take it down and didn't check the schedule to see it wasn't running that day.

Very steep trail following the gondola and ski lifts. Since it is in the ski area, I would not call it a "wilderness area", but it is beautiful. It gets crowded in the summer, but it is a great trail during the fall when the trees are golden, and the crowds are gone. The only problem in the off season is that the gondola and Eagles Nest may be closed. So if you are planning to ride the gondola down, check the operating hours first.

I LOVE the workout on this trail! The gondola ride down affords a steep hike up with no knee pain.

Varied steady uphill climb. Wildflowers still there in late august, but already drying. Fantastic views once you get past the trees, which give great shade in the beginning. One of our favorite hikes in town.

Always my first hike when I am in the Vail area! Takes about 2 hours going up at a leisurely pace and can take the gondola down for free (dogs can ride down too). Good mix of aspens and open fileds. Amazing views from the top of Gore mountains.

Lovely trail! Had an awesome experience! Can't wait to go back

Long time to get to the top :-)

Great hike! Pretty & uphill all the way.

Great morning hike about 3 miles to the top that takes about 90 minutes. We took our 4 and 2 year old boys about a mile up the following day. Not an "easy" hike with young kids but they loved it.

Had a blast on this trail! Hoping to do it again tomorrow morning! It's just weird getting to the top and having all the hustle and bustle of the adventure park if you just want peace and quiet.

Beautiful trail with nice shady glades. A bit busy. Narrow in many spots, which makes it somewhat tricky when passing with dogs.

I didn't like this trail. My main issue is the lack of payoff after a very grueling, steep hike to the top. The views of the surrounding mountain peaks were nice, but not outstanding. There are much better trails in the area if you're looking for views of the mountains.

Going up was definitely a work out but the views were well worth it!

Berry picker is a challenging trail. Starts off with a steep climb and gets a little easier after that. Some breath taking views as you climb to the top of Eagle's nest. Lots of fun activities at the top. Challenging climb for all ages.

well it's a good workout and lots of leg burning but I can't rate this higher. The flowers were meh and the views were just not that great. I was disappointed at the top because it was more of a 3 ring circus with all the people riding up the gondola and doing the adventure park. I was looking forward to sitting on a deck with my hubby and having a beer and soaking in the views. nope, we barely got a table outside and there was a concrete wall all around and no view. Even when you walk around up top, there is no view of the village. Just disappointed for the amount of work we put in and really no rewards.

This is a difficult trail but wow is it worth it!! Beautiful scenery and wildlife! Kicked our butts but worth every minute!!!

A good Trail with lots of wildflowers and views of Vail Valley. It's pretty tough and was a good workout but enjoyable. The beer at the top is a nice touch.

Don't get discouraged by the steep first mile. It's a great hike up and you can take the gondola down for free, which is fun.

You access this trail from the Lionshead side of Vail. Walk past the bridge behind the Gondola station and you will see the signs for the trail. It is well marked the entire way up, so no getting lost. As others have mentioned, beautiful views. And they only get better the higher you get. The trail is in a constant incline. At times, it is barely noticeable, at other times, you will be close to climbing up a section on roots, or large rocks to get up a section. Most of the walks, you are among trees, but a few sections you are more in a meadow with the wonderful views. I saw people decked out in full hiking gear, to others that did not even have water with them. And a few young folks, who were practically jogging the trail. Personally, I would suggest everyone have at least water with them. It is a short enough hike to the top to not need a full day supply of anything, but it does get hot, and you do get quite a workout climbing to the top. And there are NOT water stations or phones along the trail to get help if you find yourself getting overheated. So just plan ahead. I saw several people hiking with dogs and many had NO water for themselves, much less their pets. Please bring water for your pets on these hikes. In the lower section, there are a few creeks you cross, that a dog could sip from, but I do not know how bacteria free they are. Once you are at the top, you are again rewarded by the almost 360 views around you. They do have restaurants (at Vail Prices), and plenty of places to sit and rest (as well as an adventure park with a few activities to do). From here, you can opt to ride the Gondola back down for free. There are other trails from here (Eagles nest), or hike back down. Anyone with knee/hip issues may want to think about hiking down on a decline, as it does add extra stress to those joints. If you like to hike, even if you are not an avid hiker, and you are aware that it is strenuous, I think you will enjoy this hike. If you rarely hike, and are not overly athletic, you may want to check in to some of the other less strenuous or shorter hikes because once you start, there are no short cuts back down, or to the top.

Loved it! Awesome mountain views. It's a great workout and you can take the gondola down for free, if you don't have time to hike down.

A killer workout with fabulous wildflowers and views. Love this hike!

Flowers are starting to show very well.

Fun hike up through the woods. My wife and I are on our second day up in the mountains from Iowa and didn't have any trouble. Plenty of elevation change to test your leg fitness! We were testing out our equipment and clothing for later in the week so were probably overdressed for the occasion with our packs and poles. Most people we saw were sporting just a water bottle or light backpack. We went on to hike another loop once we got to the top.

Lionshead is much less muddy than starting from Strawberry Lane.

Great hike! Took my family and I (flat landers) about 2.5 hours to get up! We loved every minute of it. We ended up riding the gondola down.

This was a great trail, we brought our little dog, Chance, and he did great until the end, we had to take a few breaks in the shade. It's steep in a few areas but beautiful all the way up. The trail is well maintained and the view at the top was incredible. We had lunch at the top and took the gondola back down. Great hike!

Took me an hour and a half to hike all the way up! Beautiful scenery.... If you don't want to hike down you can ride the gondola down for free... That's the way I don't hurt my knees!

Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Great way to get up to the top of the mountain, or back down while enjoying nature and creating a better understanding for the mountain.

Thursday, January 12, 2017

This is a great trail, dogs are generally unleashed, dogs can ride the gondola down only, which is also free for dogs and humans if only going down. they sell beer and food at the top, there are tons of flowers. Mostly wooded but some exposed areas.