moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(185)
Elk Meadow Park

Bergen Peak via Sleepy's Trail, Elk Ridge, Bergen Peak Trail and Meadow View Trail is a 10.9 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Evergreen, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 10.9 miles Elevation Gain: 2,286 feet Route Type: Loop

Weds 5/20. I went up Elk/Bergen and down Too Long (haha what?)/Founders. Clocked about 10 miles total. And took 3:45 with a snack break at the top. Glad I did the loop, you could see Pikes on the way down. Trail is totally dry and not too crowded on a Wednesday morning. Btw-the trail doesn’t end at the open space with the good views. Trail is hard to follow from there but follow the power lines to find the Bergen Peak sign. I might have missed it but I had seen photos and was looking for it!

Awesome intermediate trail with great views the whole time!!

icy

What a beautiful hike. Quite a bit of traffic on Saturday. The trail is in great shape, only a bit of snow and a little bit of ice left! Beautiful scenery and spectacular views!

pretty dry, a little icy near the top but should be melted soon.

icy

moderately trafficked single track with lots of shade once you get past 1st mile in the meadow. lots of wind on the west side of hills. Got to see 2 mule deer on the way up for bonus today...recorded dist a little off due to one errant data point on other side of CO74

Nice! Really great conditions, trail was perfect. Right side has an extremely gradual grade, I would recommend going left, as we did, so the switchbacks are taken on fresh legs.

This is a good hike close to Denver and easy to get to. It is shared with mountain bikers. We went early on a Tuesday morning and didn’t encounter many until our decent around noon. I can’t imagine how busy it is on the weekends. Plan accordingly. The elevation gain is very gradual. The tree cover is plentiful except for the first mile which is wide open meadows. Lots of mushrooms and wildflowers on the forest floor. There are good views of some iconic 14ers off to the west at the top. It looks like most people stop just short of the official peak. Follow the route in AllTrails all the way to the end, past the big antenna to the north of the first viewpoint if you want a pic with the official sign and geo marker. Enjoy!

Excellent hike. Mostly gradual slope with good shade. Trail was clearly marked and in summer conditions. Some of the most breathtaking views of Mount Evans I've ever seen at the top. Wasn't too crowded but definitely keep an eye out for mountain bikers, they were just as numerous as the hikers. Overall was a great day and would recommend this to people looking for a mid-range day hike.

Fri May 31 2019

Friday 5.31.19 - not too many people on the trail. Great workout! Wasn’t too muddy, could wear tennis shoes but I prefer hiking boots. Views were beautiful. Could hear the road noise for most of the trail but didn’t bother me, was listening to music in one ear anyways. Recommend if looking for a close hike to Denver, but a longer distance hike. Took me about 4.5hrs round trip. I would rate this more moderate than hard.

Sat Apr 20 2019

Hiked this on 4/20/19, it was a pretty fun hike but very tiring. Beware the parking lot is pretty small and does fill up fast on the weekends. This trail is great if you want to do a hike that’s a little longer than most but still close to Denver. There were a lot of trail runners and people seemingly speed walking nonstop to the summit, made me feel out of shape for having to stop and rest at all! Took me about 5 hours total to do all 11 miles. The views at the top of the Mt Evans massif as well as back east towards Denver were just incredible!

Mon Apr 15 2019

Hiked this trail on 4/13/2019 right after a snowfall. We got to the trail around 6:30 and immediately started heading up. The beginning was quite easy with some snow and mud on the ground. We made a right when we got to the first intersection and began our climb. The trail was a bit rocky and snowy in some points. Once, we got to a higher elevation it started to snow and we began to see a lot more snow on the ground. In some places it was as deep as 6-7 inches, which made it hard to hike without spikes and snow shoes (our rookie move). There were not a lot of people on the trail which made it nice and peaceful. When we climbed up to the top of the mountain, there was not much to see due to the snow clouds rolling in. We made our way back on the more "highly trafficked" side of the loop and began to see more people with dogs and some runners. We only slipped a couple of times, so be careful. Regardless of the lack of gear and prep, the trail is absolutely beautiful in the snow, a lot of fun, and quite the workout. It was definitely a challenge hiking it in the snow so be sure you are well prepared. I will do this trail again once it clears up a bit. We clocked the trail in at 11.45 miles and it took us 4 hours and 50 minutes without adequate gear and under relatively poor conditions so it is definitely doable in less. Nevertheless, I highly recommend this trail.

Tue Feb 19 2019

Great day hike! Snow was too thin for snowshoes but don't forget to bring your yaktrax/microspikes. Some road noise but if solitude is what your looking for, I only saw one other person the entire day - may have been because of the weather/day of the week. The trail was well worn into the snow and easy to follow - especially with the free map from Jeffco at the trail head! Safe hiking!

Sat Oct 13 2018

Bergen Peak has a beautiful view. This trail didn't have many scenic views and I hardly saw any fall colors but all in all it was still a nice trail and definitely a good workout. Also, a great place for trail running.

Sun Sep 30 2018

This is a well-maintained, nice trail that’s easily accessible from Denver. It’s currently starting to transition into fall colors. We went on a Saturday morning and were pleasantly surprised by how few people we saw, especially on the non-Bergen Peak Trail side of the loop. As others have said, the listing underestimated the length - my AllTrails app clocked us at 10.8 miles round trip from the parking lot.

Sun Sep 02 2018

3:02 with a minor mix of trail running. It's more moderate.

Sat Aug 18 2018

Hiking up to the peak is beautiful, but the sawtooth from south trailhead to the peak has a lot of direct sunshine and it can get very hot. The trade off is a magnificent westward view.

Sat Jul 07 2018

Beautiful and challenging trail!