Bergen Peak and Elk Meadows Trail

Bergen Peak and Elk Meadows Trail is a 8.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Evergreen, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 8.3 miles Elevation Gain: 1,768 feet Route Type: Loop

Nice moderate hike. Heart rate elevates in the beginning as you climb in direct sun. Once you come to the switch backs you are in shade. The views at the top are beautiful. We could see downtown Denver and the airport. Our total RT was 10.9 miles and took us 3 hrs and 45 min.

My watch said this trail was 11+ miles - this might not be super accurate, but it definitely felt like more than 8. I pulled into the parking lot at 9:30am on a Sunday expecting it to be packed, but it was only a quarter full. Trial itself was pretty quiet, and for me mountain bikers were few and far between so it was a non-issue. I’d definitely head back to this park but probably wouldn’t do this trail again.

The highway takes away from the part of the trail that circles the valley due to the road noise of the cars. The valley is very beautiful. Would be 5/5 stars if the highway wasn't there. I'd still recommend you visit. Also, I recorded 9.4 miles round trip and 2k elevation gain, so it's a long one. This seems to be a popular mtb trail as well. All mtb were respectful, just keep an ear and eye out for them. The trail seemed like a black for mtb so you're only going to be running into mtb who can control their bikes and understand the trails. The mtb presence didn't take away anything from the trail experience so don't factor that in unless that's something you really don't care for.

Completed this hike July 6. We included the trail to Bergen Peak and it was around 12 miles total. We went counterclockwise to hit the meadow first and avoid the heat. It was uphill and quite an elevation climb the whole trip. Many switchbacks going up and coming down the loop. Not many scenic views. Clouds were starting to move in when we reached the top so we didn't have a good view of Mt. Evans. Had some rain & a little hail on the way down. Wasn't our favorite hike because of the elevation gain and not many good views. Lots of mountain bikers.

Great trail. I’m posting this late but lost my Garmin 64 at Stagecoach parking lot area Lost Garmin64. Please call 3385401264.

Great hike! Started clock wise at the recommendation of another hiker and I was so glad I did, the descent had great views and was gradual which was forgiving on my knees. Lots of mtn bikers, so be mindful! Lots of shade until you reach the open space.

have shade, little biker.I will be back

Mainly wooded, well kept and marked trails, some nice overlooks, great patches of inclines, rocky in areas. So much fun so close to home. Not many people on this Memorial Day until getting down to the meadow. Saw a herd of elk. Only draw back I could find was still hearing traffic in parts. Did it in 3 hours 42 minutes of actual hiking time.

Lovely hike! I will absolutely be back!

Great difference in terrain! Moderate hike and lots of great views of the area.

In counterclockwise direction, packed snow consistent from mile 2.2 to peak, less past the high point (excluding peak trail). No spikes needed. Few muddy patches. Great run on a gorgeous day!

Still snowy at the top (4/6). Didn’t get to the peak as the trail seemed too slick without traction devices. Great trail though - just need the snow to clear!

Such a nice hike! Perfect combination of forest and open space in the meadow. There was still a good bit of snow on the trail, but was able to get through without any spikes. Saw some mule deer and elk.

We hiked this on St Patrick’s Day and there was still a lot of snow. The trail was packed down, so no need for snowshoes or spikes. At some parts, it was muddy. We came across a group of 20 Elk. It was the highlight of the hike for sure.

Very slushy once it thaws. Need snowshoes for some parts up higher.

Sunday, September 23, 2018

Great trail with lots of shade. The higher section was not to crowded even for a Saturday, there was more people near the bottom on our way back, but that was because it was in the 12 o'clock hour. I would rate this trail as a moderate not difficult. We went counterclockwise, and the climbing sections were nice and steady, but not crazy steep.

Wednesday, August 22, 2018

This isn’t a difficult hike. There are a few short parts that are difficult, but it’s definitely doable for a relatively fit beginner hiker. It is a workout though. This was a really beautiful hike. There are parts where you’re completely secluded among the trees, and it’s a surreal feeling (at least for me). Once you leave the meadow and hike for a little bit, the road nearby really isn’t that audible. Anyway, it’s super fun. Try to leave early, so you can finish before the afternoon storms.

Sunday, August 12, 2018

I ended up hiking to the top of Bergen Peak. Definitely worth it to do that. It’s a long hike, but I wouldn’t characterize it as “Hard.” It’s a long moderate. Like many trails in Evergreen, alternations between rocky-narrow paths, forest paths, pretty summits, scenic views, aspens, and lovely wildflowers, especially by the meadows. But I was a bit bummed that I heard the cars on the highway almost the whole time. I tuned it out, and a few times amidst the aspens it was truly quiet. But that’s why I give four stars. Sometimes some mountain bikers come barreling down, and you’ve really got to have your wits about you. But otherwise, the views, the thick smell of pine all along the way, and the serenity of the hike, even on a Saturday morning, is why I live out here :)

Friday, July 13, 2018

Reallly great trails! I went counter clockwise and it was very step by Too Long trail and a nice decent. The views are really solid but not the best in the area. You get some great elevation gains and loses and is a awesome workout . I went on a Sunday and saw quite a few mountain bikers. I'm glad I was going a different direction since it was easier to see/hear them approaching. The bathrooms at the entrance we're also meticulously maintained! I even saw someone cleaning them on my way back to the car.

Friday, July 13, 2018

A great trail! I'm not sure I would say it's difficult. More moderate. There is a trail path the whole way up. The views at the top were beautiful! The day was hot so we went through all of our water and we had 4 big water bottles with us! A super great day!

Sunday, July 08, 2018

A really beautiful loop. I was grateful for the pointer about going counterclockwise on a warm day .... the meadow is completely shadeless so better to cover that territory early. I would rate this trail “moderate” instead of hard. Under 10 miles, fewer than 2,000 feet elevation change, and a well maintained, easy to follow, non-technical outing. Not to say I wasn’t challenged; you gain most of the vertical in less than 3 miles. But in the scheme of Colorado hikes, it doesn’t deserve the hard rating. Our GPS showed this at 9.2 miles for the loop (ie., without the peak out-and-back so I think the mileage listed is off, which seems to be a recurring theme in my all trails reviews. The trail is wide enough that it accommodates the hiker/mt biker use quite well. I look forward to going back on a nice fall day!

Sunday, June 17, 2018

Tough Trail if you do the entire loop but worth the view

Saturday, June 16, 2018

Difficult, but a fun hike! I’m glad the previous reviewer suggested starting on the meadow side (which is Sleepy’s Trail), since pretty much everyone else started on the other end of the loop and I was by myself for quite a bit. Just did the loop and didn’t make it up to the peak, but will try next time!

Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Very good hike. Make sure to do the meadow side of the hike first (head toward the main road). This saves the best part of the hike, in the trees / shade, for last.. also, there are a handful of trails to choose from as you progress. Pay attention to your trail map after these intersections as it’s very easy to take the wrong turn (as we did on our hike). Great area, great views, great hike.

Sunday, June 10, 2018

Very nice strenuous hike within a 45 minute drive from downtown Denver. Will be back again!!

Sunday, May 27, 2018

so for all those slightly older folks who may not be in Peak shape, this is good trail, somewhere between moderate and difficult. I am still acclimating to the altitude and had to stop several times and my legs were sore during one long uphill pull. I was ready to be done at the end of 10 Mi even though the last half was mostly downhill. in my modest level of conditioning it took me 3 hours to the top and two hours down, those folks doing it in 4 hours are in much better shape. And then there are those who even run it and I am still amazed.

Tuesday, May 08, 2018

the evelation gain was only 2,000 feet from the lower meadow, but I wandered around until I hit the "too long trail" and peaked. I've hiked all the other Elk Meadow trails and this was , by far, my favorite, however, in the future I'll start from the upper Stagecoach trailhead. when I was back to my car I had hiked 8 miles and felt good. The elevation gain is 700 feet less than bierstadt, but overall a good test of endurance to prep for the easiest 14'er. Outstanding hike!

Friday, October 20, 2017

Great switch backs up. Amazing views. Bring water and snacks just in case.