Bergen Peak and Elk Meadows Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(223)
Elk Meadow Park

Bergen Peak and Elk Meadows Trail is a 8.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Evergreen, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 8.3 miles Elevation Gain: 1,768 feet Route Type: Loop

Beautiful hike. Plenty of shade and amazing views. Started around 1 p.m. only a few people on the trail today. Went a few miles without seeing anyone.

First mid distance trail of this season, was a really fun trail with views scattered throughout if you want rest points. Only one other person and a biker on the trail at 6:30-7am and was filling up by 10 or 11. Definitely make it up to Bergen peak and watch your route on the way down to prevent confusion

Lovely hike. The view payoff is worth it if you summit Bergen Peak!

First stretch of the trail is sunny but once you get up into the trees there is on and off shade. Still a fair amount of traffic on a Tuesday and plenty of mountain bikers who don’t give a shit who/what they run over. However, it’s a lovely trail and a good workout.

Went on 5.17.20 and it was beautiful weather and trail. Going on this trail on a Sunday morning, it was way too crowded for my personal preference. It was especially crowded with the whole COVID pandemic and crossing the trail with many other users. Overall though, beautiful trail and views.

Went for a mountain bike today, I do not recommend for beginners. The down hill was amazing.

Currently deep snow drifts toward the top; spikes are helpful.

Nice trail and saw some wildlife as in a big ol herd of em:). Just as a reminder this trail doesn’t map to the actual top but it is accessible from it. Just racks on another 2 miles. Some ice and snow. Spikes recommended. .

Nice scenic trail but icy in quite a few areas. I would go back again when the ice melts.

Nice moderate hike. Heart rate elevates in the beginning as you climb in direct sun. Once you come to the switch backs you are in shade. The views at the top are beautiful. We could see downtown Denver and the airport. Our total RT was 10.9 miles and took us 3 hrs and 45 min.

My watch said this trail was 11+ miles - this might not be super accurate, but it definitely felt like more than 8. I pulled into the parking lot at 9:30am on a Sunday expecting it to be packed, but it was only a quarter full. Trial itself was pretty quiet, and for me mountain bikers were few and far between so it was a non-issue. I’d definitely head back to this park but probably wouldn’t do this trail again.

The highway takes away from the part of the trail that circles the valley due to the road noise of the cars. The valley is very beautiful. Would be 5/5 stars if the highway wasn't there. I'd still recommend you visit. Also, I recorded 9.4 miles round trip and 2k elevation gain, so it's a long one. This seems to be a popular mtb trail as well. All mtb were respectful, just keep an ear and eye out for them. The trail seemed like a black for mtb so you're only going to be running into mtb who can control their bikes and understand the trails. The mtb presence didn't take away anything from the trail experience so don't factor that in unless that's something you really don't care for.

Completed this hike July 6. We included the trail to Bergen Peak and it was around 12 miles total. We went counterclockwise to hit the meadow first and avoid the heat. It was uphill and quite an elevation climb the whole trip. Many switchbacks going up and coming down the loop. Not many scenic views. Clouds were starting to move in when we reached the top so we didn't have a good view of Mt. Evans. Had some rain & a little hail on the way down. Wasn't our favorite hike because of the elevation gain and not many good views. Lots of mountain bikers.

Great trail. I’m posting this late but lost my Garmin 64 at Stagecoach parking lot area Lost Garmin64. Please call 3385401264.

Great hike! Started clock wise at the recommendation of another hiker and I was so glad I did, the descent had great views and was gradual which was forgiving on my knees. Lots of mtn bikers, so be mindful! Lots of shade until you reach the open space.

have shade, little biker.I will be back

Tue May 28 2019

Mainly wooded, well kept and marked trails, some nice overlooks, great patches of inclines, rocky in areas. So much fun so close to home. Not many people on this Memorial Day until getting down to the meadow. Saw a herd of elk. Only draw back I could find was still hearing traffic in parts. Did it in 3 hours 42 minutes of actual hiking time.

Fri May 24 2019

Lovely hike! I will absolutely be back!

Sun May 19 2019

Great difference in terrain! Moderate hike and lots of great views of the area.

Sun Apr 07 2019

In counterclockwise direction, packed snow consistent from mile 2.2 to peak, less past the high point (excluding peak trail). No spikes needed. Few muddy patches. Great run on a gorgeous day!

Sat Apr 06 2019

Still snowy at the top (4/6). Didn’t get to the peak as the trail seemed too slick without traction devices. Great trail though - just need the snow to clear!

Sat Apr 06 2019

Such a nice hike! Perfect combination of forest and open space in the meadow. There was still a good bit of snow on the trail, but was able to get through without any spikes. Saw some mule deer and elk.

Tue Mar 26 2019

We hiked this on St Patrick’s Day and there was still a lot of snow. The trail was packed down, so no need for snowshoes or spikes. At some parts, it was muddy. We came across a group of 20 Elk. It was the highlight of the hike for sure.

Sat Mar 16 2019

Very slushy once it thaws. Need snowshoes for some parts up higher.

Sun Sep 23 2018

Great trail with lots of shade. The higher section was not to crowded even for a Saturday, there was more people near the bottom on our way back, but that was because it was in the 12 o'clock hour. I would rate this trail as a moderate not difficult. We went counterclockwise, and the climbing sections were nice and steady, but not crazy steep.