Bergen Peak and Elk Meadows Trail

Bergen Peak and Elk Meadows Trail is a 8.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Evergreen, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Tough Trail if you do the entire loop but worth the view

Difficult, but a fun hike! I’m glad the previous reviewer suggested starting on the meadow side (which is Sleepy’s Trail), since pretty much everyone else started on the other end of the loop and I was by myself for quite a bit. Just did the loop and didn’t make it up to the peak, but will try next time!

Very good hike. Make sure to do the meadow side of the hike first (head toward the main road). This saves the best part of the hike, in the trees / shade, for last.. also, there are a handful of trails to choose from as you progress. Pay attention to your trail map after these intersections as it’s very easy to take the wrong turn (as we did on our hike). Great area, great views, great hike.

Very nice strenuous hike within a 45 minute drive from downtown Denver. Will be back again!!

so for all those slightly older folks who may not be in Peak shape, this is good trail, somewhere between moderate and difficult. I am still acclimating to the altitude and had to stop several times and my legs were sore during one long uphill pull. I was ready to be done at the end of 10 Mi even though the last half was mostly downhill. in my modest level of conditioning it took me 3 hours to the top and two hours down, those folks doing it in 4 hours are in much better shape. And then there are those who even run it and I am still amazed.

the evelation gain was only 2,000 feet from the lower meadow, but I wandered around until I hit the "too long trail" and peaked. I've hiked all the other Elk Meadow trails and this was , by far, my favorite, however, in the future I'll start from the upper Stagecoach trailhead. when I was back to my car I had hiked 8 miles and felt good. The elevation gain is 700 feet less than bierstadt, but overall a good test of endurance to prep for the easiest 14'er. Outstanding hike!

Great switch backs up. Amazing views. Bring water and snacks just in case.

For all my fellow Denverites who might be tired of running on rock this park is well worth the drive up the hill for some great trail running. Bergen Peak or Too Long trails are both great elevation climbs, definitely recommend the extra mile to the top. Beautiful park with shade highly recommend!

I followed the Noble Meadows trail to the Painter's Pause and walked up to the Sleepy S trailhead then back. It was beautiful. The only drawback was the busy road next to the trail but it was easy enough to tune out. I should have brought more water with me, it was hot! I think it was six miles or so round trip on the paths I took. Lovely wild flowers and hummingbirds! Watch out for mountain bikers! Most of them are polite enough to warn you when they are coming up behind.

Really good workout with an incline. Mediocre views compared to some of the other hikes in Colorado

Good uphill with great views.

Beautiful!!!

Sunday, June 11, 2017

Definitely a challenge if you do the whole loop & the peak trail. Beautiful views, one of my favorite hikes so far this summer. Took 4 hours roundtrip.

Sunday, June 11, 2017

Enjoyed the hike!! Going back to get to Bergen Trail tomorrow! Be prepaid for an all day hike, ours was cut short!

Sunday, June 11, 2017

Nice hike, moderate incline and nice views for the effort. Definitely worth taking the slight detour to the summit as you get great views of some high peaks to the west!

Sunday, June 11, 2017

Great hike. Went counterclockwise and took the inside loop back. Good decisions. Summit view is worth it. Steady incline up, then a long gentle decline. Moderate-to-hard

Sunday, May 21, 2017

Did the loop hike. This was my friends first ever hike. He did really well on it. The summit hike was very good. Well worth the hike. Great photos from the top but also along the way.

Sunday, May 14, 2017

A pretty relaxed loop, with an optional peak hike that you should definitely take the extra effort to summit. It has very nice views. The traffic gets on the heavy side around noon, so be prepared to meet lots of bikers, hikers and runners on the trail. It is also a little close to the road in the meadow section of the loop, but it wasn't a big drawback.

Thursday, May 11, 2017

Great mountain views. Especially at the peak.

Saturday, May 06, 2017

DEFINITELY GET HERE EARLY! We arrived around 6:30 with about 5 cars in the lot. When we left, it was full. Beware of rude mountain bikers who whiz past without announcing themselves. Beyond that, however, this was a very pleasant and long hike.

With a number of great views, if you make it all the way to the uppermost point of the loop, you might as well hike on up the Bergen Peak trail itself. It's not that much further! At this point, there wasn't much snow (just some patches here and there), and not much mud.

A lot of dog owners with off leash dogs, and even more little plastic baggies of dog poop around the lower trails as well.

Sunday, April 16, 2017

Great hike....just wish there were a stream or some water

Monday, April 10, 2017

Great hike! We went up to the peak and then down and around on Meadow View trail. Some ice and snow, lots of mud, and plenty of great views! Enjoy :D

Sunday, April 02, 2017

I took The half circle route, up to the peak and then down and crossed over the stream back to the starting stretch of the loop

Real nice hike, a lot of shade from the trailhead to the peak from the trees, view from the peak is great whether you're looking east over Evergreen and Denver and looking west provides a great view of Mt Evans. On the way down it was a bit more open as there weren't as many trees, now you can continue going and do the huge loop or you can take a right hand turn down a trail that cuts the loop in half (reference map at trailhead) this trail will take you over the stream which wasn't running at the time (I went in early March) but I'm sure it's a nice sight

Again great hike, sorry I can only provide half a review. I did not do the full loop

Wednesday, December 28, 2016

A nice hike in tennis shoes/hiking shoes even, some scenic views, off leash dog park right across the street.

Saturday, December 10, 2016

Next time, I plan to go counter-clockwise on the trail and treat it as an out and back at the peak. Best views of mountain ranges were on that side even though it was windy.

Monday, October 31, 2016

I thought this trail was more of a moderate rating, incline after 2.5 miles got more difficult, after 5th mile it wasn't that bad, beautiful views, shade, trails are marked very well.

Monday, October 24, 2016

Very nice trail, great view at the summit too!

Monday, October 17, 2016

Beautiful hike. Disagree with the hard rating. Wife and I did it with our 2yo. Most of the hike is in the shade and great views at various spots.

Monday, September 12, 2016

very nice trail, but tough. you guys on the bikes, great job, lady running past us, you're amazing! Lots of fun, and got to have lunch at the peak. Great day

Sunday, July 17, 2016

Pretty trail. Saw a pretty good amount of wildlife- a couple deer, a hummingbird and some crazy squirrels. Decent amount of mountain bikers but not terribly packed on a Saturday afternoon/evening. Pretty wildflowers too.