Bergen Peak and Elk Meadows Trail

Bergen Peak and Elk Meadows Trail is a 8.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Evergreen, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I ended up hiking to the top of Bergen Peak. Definitely worth it to do that. It’s a long hike, but I wouldn’t characterize it as “Hard.” It’s a long moderate. Like many trails in Evergreen, alternations between rocky-narrow paths, forest paths, pretty summits, scenic views, aspens, and lovely wildflowers, especially by the meadows. But I was a bit bummed that I heard the cars on the highway almost the whole time. I tuned it out, and a few times amidst the aspens it was truly quiet. But that’s why I give four stars. Sometimes some mountain bikers come barreling down, and you’ve really got to have your wits about you. But otherwise, the views, the thick smell of pine all along the way, and the serenity of the hike, even on a Saturday morning, is why I live out here :)

Reallly great trails! I went counter clockwise and it was very step by Too Long trail and a nice decent. The views are really solid but not the best in the area. You get some great elevation gains and loses and is a awesome workout . I went on a Sunday and saw quite a few mountain bikers. I'm glad I was going a different direction since it was easier to see/hear them approaching. The bathrooms at the entrance we're also meticulously maintained! I even saw someone cleaning them on my way back to the car.

A great trail! I'm not sure I would say it's difficult. More moderate. There is a trail path the whole way up. The views at the top were beautiful! The day was hot so we went through all of our water and we had 4 big water bottles with us! A super great day!

A really beautiful loop. I was grateful for the pointer about going counterclockwise on a warm day .... the meadow is completely shadeless so better to cover that territory early.

I would rate this trail “moderate” instead of hard. Under 10 miles, fewer than 2,000 feet elevation change, and a well maintained, easy to follow, non-technical outing. Not to say I wasn’t challenged; you gain most of the vertical in less than 3 miles. But in the scheme of Colorado hikes, it doesn’t deserve the hard rating.

Our GPS showed this at 9.2 miles for the loop (ie., without the peak out-and-back so I think the mileage listed is off, which seems to be a recurring theme in my all trails reviews.

The trail is wide enough that it accommodates the hiker/mt biker use quite well. I look forward to going back on a nice fall day!

Tough Trail if you do the entire loop but worth the view

Difficult, but a fun hike! I’m glad the previous reviewer suggested starting on the meadow side (which is Sleepy’s Trail), since pretty much everyone else started on the other end of the loop and I was by myself for quite a bit. Just did the loop and didn’t make it up to the peak, but will try next time!

Very good hike. Make sure to do the meadow side of the hike first (head toward the main road). This saves the best part of the hike, in the trees / shade, for last.. also, there are a handful of trails to choose from as you progress. Pay attention to your trail map after these intersections as it’s very easy to take the wrong turn (as we did on our hike). Great area, great views, great hike.

Very nice strenuous hike within a 45 minute drive from downtown Denver. Will be back again!!

so for all those slightly older folks who may not be in Peak shape, this is good trail, somewhere between moderate and difficult. I am still acclimating to the altitude and had to stop several times and my legs were sore during one long uphill pull. I was ready to be done at the end of 10 Mi even though the last half was mostly downhill. in my modest level of conditioning it took me 3 hours to the top and two hours down, those folks doing it in 4 hours are in much better shape. And then there are those who even run it and I am still amazed.

the evelation gain was only 2,000 feet from the lower meadow, but I wandered around until I hit the "too long trail" and peaked. I've hiked all the other Elk Meadow trails and this was , by far, my favorite, however, in the future I'll start from the upper Stagecoach trailhead. when I was back to my car I had hiked 8 miles and felt good. The elevation gain is 700 feet less than bierstadt, but overall a good test of endurance to prep for the easiest 14'er. Outstanding hike!

Great switch backs up. Amazing views. Bring water and snacks just in case.

For all my fellow Denverites who might be tired of running on rock this park is well worth the drive up the hill for some great trail running. Bergen Peak or Too Long trails are both great elevation climbs, definitely recommend the extra mile to the top. Beautiful park with shade highly recommend!

Monday, July 10, 2017

I followed the Noble Meadows trail to the Painter's Pause and walked up to the Sleepy S trailhead then back. It was beautiful. The only drawback was the busy road next to the trail but it was easy enough to tune out. I should have brought more water with me, it was hot! I think it was six miles or so round trip on the paths I took. Lovely wild flowers and hummingbirds! Watch out for mountain bikers! Most of them are polite enough to warn you when they are coming up behind.

Monday, July 03, 2017

Really good workout with an incline. Mediocre views compared to some of the other hikes in Colorado

Sunday, June 25, 2017

Good uphill with great views.

Sunday, June 25, 2017

Beautiful!!!

Sunday, June 11, 2017

Definitely a challenge if you do the whole loop & the peak trail. Beautiful views, one of my favorite hikes so far this summer. Took 4 hours roundtrip.

Sunday, June 11, 2017

Enjoyed the hike!! Going back to get to Bergen Trail tomorrow! Be prepaid for an all day hike, ours was cut short!

Sunday, June 11, 2017

Nice hike, moderate incline and nice views for the effort. Definitely worth taking the slight detour to the summit as you get great views of some high peaks to the west!

Sunday, June 11, 2017

Great hike. Went counterclockwise and took the inside loop back. Good decisions. Summit view is worth it. Steady incline up, then a long gentle decline. Moderate-to-hard

Sunday, May 21, 2017

Did the loop hike. This was my friends first ever hike. He did really well on it. The summit hike was very good. Well worth the hike. Great photos from the top but also along the way.

Sunday, May 14, 2017

A pretty relaxed loop, with an optional peak hike that you should definitely take the extra effort to summit. It has very nice views. The traffic gets on the heavy side around noon, so be prepared to meet lots of bikers, hikers and runners on the trail. It is also a little close to the road in the meadow section of the loop, but it wasn't a big drawback.

Thursday, May 11, 2017

Great mountain views. Especially at the peak.

Saturday, May 06, 2017

DEFINITELY GET HERE EARLY! We arrived around 6:30 with about 5 cars in the lot. When we left, it was full. Beware of rude mountain bikers who whiz past without announcing themselves. Beyond that, however, this was a very pleasant and long hike.

With a number of great views, if you make it all the way to the uppermost point of the loop, you might as well hike on up the Bergen Peak trail itself. It's not that much further! At this point, there wasn't much snow (just some patches here and there), and not much mud.

A lot of dog owners with off leash dogs, and even more little plastic baggies of dog poop around the lower trails as well.

Sunday, April 16, 2017

Great hike....just wish there were a stream or some water

Monday, April 10, 2017

Great hike! We went up to the peak and then down and around on Meadow View trail. Some ice and snow, lots of mud, and plenty of great views! Enjoy :D

Sunday, April 02, 2017

I took The half circle route, up to the peak and then down and crossed over the stream back to the starting stretch of the loop

Real nice hike, a lot of shade from the trailhead to the peak from the trees, view from the peak is great whether you're looking east over Evergreen and Denver and looking west provides a great view of Mt Evans. On the way down it was a bit more open as there weren't as many trees, now you can continue going and do the huge loop or you can take a right hand turn down a trail that cuts the loop in half (reference map at trailhead) this trail will take you over the stream which wasn't running at the time (I went in early March) but I'm sure it's a nice sight

Again great hike, sorry I can only provide half a review. I did not do the full loop

Wednesday, December 28, 2016

A nice hike in tennis shoes/hiking shoes even, some scenic views, off leash dog park right across the street.

Saturday, December 10, 2016

Next time, I plan to go counter-clockwise on the trail and treat it as an out and back at the peak. Best views of mountain ranges were on that side even though it was windy.

Monday, October 31, 2016

I thought this trail was more of a moderate rating, incline after 2.5 miles got more difficult, after 5th mile it wasn't that bad, beautiful views, shade, trails are marked very well.