Bent Rock Trail

Bent Rock Trail is a 3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Livermore, Colorado that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Deep crimson and tan rocks, rolling grasslands, and sandy washes await you at Red Mountain Open Space, an almost 15,000-acre open space in northeastern Colorado. From the trailhead, hikers, bikers, and horseback riders can take off on over 15 miles of multi-use trails. Red Mountain Open Space has no entrance fee and is open dawn to dusk, March through November. The trailhead is on County Road 21, just 25 miles north of Fort Collins.

What a great hike! Would be a great walk to take the entire family on. Even though it was very foggy and had just rained the hike was great for us and it wasn’t even that muddy!

Oh man incredible views of the red rock!! This is an easy walk but I went the wrong way and went the long way round to Bent Rock. Unlike its name I was expecting a Rick but it’s really the low part of the basin. It’s Bent Rock Canyon. I was told try it while the flowers are in bloom. No dogs... however I saw a woman with 5 children and a labradoodle that was NOT supposed to be there. I enjoyed the hike.. there’s lots of coyote scat and a little river runs through it.

I will be coming back here for sure. The open space was a little tricky to find since I'm not super familiar with the area. The breeze felt just as good as the sunshine did but I could see how this would be a super hot hike in the summertime. Only ran into a few other people here and will be bringing the bike back to go farther on the other trails next time. We didn't see any rattlesnakes but we did see a coyote and some deer.

This is a great short hike for all ages. The section on Sand Creek has a pretty stream, sandstone cliffs, and nice riparian areas. There are at least 3 stream crossings that have well place stepping stones. The loop around the hill crosses several interesting veins of rock.

Love hiking up in this area, we usually go early in the day and often have the place to ourselves. I don't believe we did the entire loop, but the part that goes along the creek along the rock sides is just lovely. We've gone further once the trail climbs up so you have a pretty good view of the whole area. Before that though, its easy enough and there a couple creek crossings to make you feel adventurous! I would imagine you most certainly wouldn't want to hike anywhere in this area during the heat of the day, so plan accordingly - very little shade!

This trail was way out there in the middle of no where, it felt a little strange hiking with our young girls and some weird guy showing up in the parking lot, loitering around, and then left, anyway, I would watch out for rattlesnakes because we encountered a small one near one of the many gates you go through, definitely go when it's cooler out, no shade on the trail, the deer flies practically carried us away on the last part through the canyon area so bug spray is helpful, nice bathrooms and covered picnic table area at the parking lot, the stream was really nice, the different kind of rock layers was really pretty, the girls were able to handle the 3 mile loop with just a little up and down on the trail, one crossing over the stream did not have nice big rocks like the other crossings so the girls had to take their shoes and socks off to cross over, we will do it again someday but be more prepared next time

A few hills. Horseflies we're very annoying! Beautiful views. Couple of creek crossings, we all got our feet wet.

Sunday, March 19, 2017

awesome, my 3 year old daughter loved it and had no problem hiking the whole trail.

Monday, March 06, 2017

Took the kids on this trail and they had a blast our youngest is 2 and she managed for a little while. But even with her on my back this was an easy trail.

Wednesday, December 28, 2016

The geology is AMAZING!

Monday, November 14, 2016

beautiful trail, head to the bent rock trail from the parking lot and when you cross the river the first time is where youchoose your loop route, heading right/straightish brings you into a beautiful canyon with a creek. trails are very easy. ky-lynn is also beautiful

Tuesday, June 20, 2017