Ben Tyler Trail

Ben Tyler Trail is a 11.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Shawnee, Colorado that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 11.8 miles Elevation Gain: 3,402 feet Route Type: Out & Back

This popular trail is named for Ben Tyler, who lived with his family in the gulch that bears his name. The trail offers spectacular views to the north and south from its high point, and the changing colors in September, particularly in the large aspen groves in Ben Tyler Gulch, are outstanding. From the Ben Tyler trailhead, the trail rises 1.4 miles to the boundary of the Lost Creek Wilderness. The trail continues up to a high saddle above treeline, which offers some spectacular views. From here the trail descends to the south into the Rock Creek drainage, to the Rock Creek trailhead.

1.1.20 you can make it about 3 miles in before needing snowshoes to prevent postholing if you go past that point you will probably be breaking Trail. Before that nothing but boots needed IMO. Check out a full write up on my website thevirtualsherpa.com

Hiked 12.26.19. Some ice, needed spikes way back down. Very small turn-off of Hwy 285, very easy to miss. Highway noise disappeared after .5 mile. Gorgeous trail. I’ll be back.

this trail was absolutely gorgeous the entire way and the road noise dissipated quickly you don't even realize it you get to the top at the huge amazing Meadow and few but really friendly people on the trail. ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

A lovely fall hike! The aspens are just past peak now, but we still saw plenty of golden goodness. I wouldn't call this trail crowded, but it definitely has more people than most trails in the Lost Creek Wilderness - I attribute this to the fact that the parking lot is just off the highway, so no need to drive on dirt roads. Parking lot was maybe 3/4 of the way full at 7am, but we hardly saw anyone until the hike back down. It's a pretty steady uphill climb that can get a little brutal at times. We almost turned around near the top, but I'm so glad we continued on - some gorgeous view of the surrounding mountains when you get to the tundra. Near the very end, there's a fork - AllTrails wants you to continue right for maybe .25 miles, at which point the trail peters out. It looked like if you chose to go left you could keep hiking much longer and connect with another trail.

Takes a bit of time to get back to where the Aspen are but.def. worth it!

This trail was a pleasant surprise. The beginning is a climb, nothing spectacular, but a mile or so in you hear the rushing creek and then get into the Aspen. Grove after grove of beautiful, golden, quaking Aspen. We hiked just over 4 miles in on a colorful Aspen covered trail that was spectacular! So glad I did this trail in the Fall:)

This was a great quick trail mid week, I got there about noon, only a few cars. About a mile up the trail, there’s tons of lovely fall colors, and great views. The only down side is the highway noise, which does dissipate after the first mile, I didn’t do the whole trail, just the first 2 miles or so.

I turned back at .3 miles due to the loud highway sounds. The hike begins with nice switchbacks up the face of the hill just above the highway, so the road noise is loud and constant. It was also very nerve wracking getting the dog in and out of the car adjacent to the highway. There’s no buffer between the parked car and the road. This wasn’t the trail for me today.

9/28/19 - great hike up to a dense aspen grove for fall colors! It took about 2 miles to get to the good aspens. You have to get past the creek crossing first then go a little farther and then you’ll know when you have arrived! Fall paradise.

BIGS! You definitely need bug spray before you head out. My legs and arms were itchy and scratching them for the first 2 hours.. Miserable! So the first 0.5 miles was just switch backs/zigzag, no shades for the first 1.5 miles or so. Then you'll have to deal with muddy trails for on and off for about 1.5 miles, also to walk in the creeks. Waterproof shoes will be great to have, but not necessary. Saw a bunch of Columbines and made me happy! You won't miss them. As well so many other wildflowers. Very beautiful. Some area looked like a trail to heaven(never been, but...). Breathtaking! After 3 miles, started to get bit bored and almost turned around since no lakes up there, but decided to finish the whole trail. It was a flat top and a bunch of big rocks. Nothing really there but to see the dark cloud covered on the top of surrounding mountains. Saw some snow on the other mountains but not this one. The distance should be longer than 11.8 miles as indicated. I completed this with 13.3 miles. Ran into 4 different groups of people the entire time and I was the last person to come down from the trail(at least from Ben Tyler) at 3:45pm. I agree that this maybe hard, but I'll say between moderate and hard. Some parts are bit rough so wear good pair of shoes to protect your ankles. Have great summer hikes! 07/14/2019 #38

David, I am an audiologist and I should be able to contact the hearing aid manufacturer and give them the serial number and they should be able to contact the patient that the hearing aid has been found. As for Ben Tyler Trail, I have done this trail in the past and it is one of my favorites so I gave it 5 stars.

Great hike today (7/7) from the Rock Creek trailhead. Super gorgeous along the fast moving creek up through pine and aspen. Occasional light rain and the bugs were bad for us and our boxer dog. Found a hearing aid in case anyone lost one?

Fell in love with this trail. First mile or so was nothing exciting but after you get into forest area it becomes gorgeous. Lovely aspen groves and forest ground foliage. Well-maintained trail too. Had a short time window that did not allow me to complete the entire trail, having to turn back early. But cannot wait to return and finish the full trail.

The trail is in good condition with wildflowers & blooming bushes. Were were intimidated by reading about the switchbacks in the beginning, but they were not too steep even though there are 12+. The forest is open some with sunny conditions: therefore warm. We only went about two miles up and back. As you go the creek gets closer to the trail and has some nice places to get to it. Water is running hard and pretty. We turned just before the creek crossing because it overflowed an was flooding the trail, but one could work around it.

Went up Wed, 6-19. Cool hike. Lots of snow run-off on the trail, was basically hiking through a stream for much of it . Saw some cool birds & wildflowers, and very few people. Lots of bang for your buck for only an hour from Denver. Had to turn around about a mile from the top (bummer), just too much snow. I’ll go back later in the summer to finish the deed!

Same as two weeks ago, still a lot of snow toward the upper altitude. Fair amount of post holing. Will come back.

Trail was wet in spots (melt) and totally snowed in in the upper reaches (10,600'). Dog had a blast and so did I. Will do again in a few weeks once the snow has a chance to melt. Beautiful area.

Only one at the trail. Got spooked and soft from the mountain lion picture at the trailhead. Incomplete.

Sustained grade for a great workout. A few places to camp. Must come see in fall when aspens are changing.

Beautiful trail with amazing views and some nice camping spots

3-9-19: First two miles were periodic ice, snow, and dry ground. Poles were nice, but traction was unnecessary. After that, the snow deepens and the trail warrants snowshoes for the thigh-burning ascent up the gulch. Keep in mind that the TH is merely a side-of-road pull-off and that there are no bathroom or garbage facilities. We didn’t see any trash or discarded dog poop bags the entire time—bravo Colorado.

Hiked 1/19 2.5 mi out and back (5mi round trip). Starts off somewhat open and some trees, but just after 1.5mi it’s real shaded and in the forest, especially past the point when you get to Lost Creek Wilderness. Not much snow at the beginning, but once in the forest the snow takes up the entire trail. Used yak tracks and they were helpful with the incline on this trail. The snow gets less packed down as the trail goes on, and would probably be best done with snowshoes at that point. Not too crowded, saw only a few small groups of people. A nice place to enjoy the woods and forest setting if that is what you’re setting out to do.

Sat Dec 29 2018

I wanted to snowshoe but not enough snow. Took a hike in my boots. Was OK but didn’t find the hike to be amazing. Got better when trail entered the National Park. I think it might be a better summer hike.

Sat Oct 20 2018

Parking is easily accessible. I turned around at the junction with Craig Park Trail (9 mi, 3000ft elevation gain round trip) due to the snow being a little deeper than my liking and my legs not wanting to trudge through anymore. I was also alone and had seen a TON of animal tracks. Didn’t see any people until I was on the way back down about 2 mi from the TH. Pretty diverse with the stream, aspens (who have lost their leaves) and evergreens. I’ll be back in the summer to go all the way up!