Ben Tyler Trail

Ben Tyler Trail is a 12 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Shawnee, Colorado that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This popular trail is named for Ben Tyler, who lived with his family in the gulch that bears his name. The trail offers spectacular views to the north and south from its high point, and the changing colors in September, particularly in the large aspen groves in Ben Tyler Gulch, are outstanding. From the Ben Tyler trailhead, the trail rises 1.4 miles to the boundary of the Lost Creek Wilderness. The trail continues up to a high saddle above treeline, which offers some spectacular views. From here the trail descends to the south into the Rock Creek drainage, to the Rock Creek trailhead.

Quite a few spots on the trail are slippery with solid ice layers under snow. Recommend using Yaks and/or extreme caution during your hikes. Enjoy!

The signs say no bikes and there is a sign that states no bike but there was a moron on a bike. I did direct him off the trail.
It is a hard quick up hill climb that will wear you out fast. There is a nice creek to stop at and take pictures if you want. Just take your time for there is lots to look but only few squirrels and birds for wild life.

After the first bit you'll end up in beautiful aspens. Great hike!

We are in moderate to good shape
And it took us 6hrs round trip with a few stops to snack, potty and water breaks. Made it to the top which flattened out and was beautiful. Steady climbing to the top that is mostly shade...absolutely gorgeous. Creek crossings for dogs to get water so that was nice. Still go early. It started to rain the last 20min back down around 12:20pm.

beautiful hike

Been driving by this trail for years. Finally hiked it today. Didn't realize how steep and rocky it was until the way down. Recent rain made it absolutely beautiful, highly recommend this trail.

We camped in a huge aspen grove, saw a black bear and tons of wildflowers. The view if you hike the trail through the meadow is spectacular! I found it a difficult climb, especially with all of my camping gear but it was worth it. The whole weekend we only saw around 15 people. This would be an incredible autumn hike.

Always a fun hike. Snow stopped our progress at 5 miles, just around 10,200 ft. Still, a strenuous 10 mile hike with very few people around.

I would definitely classify this trail as moderate to hard. The first 2-3 miles you are climbing pretty steadily. After about a mile you have hit your first water crossing (small). There was plenty of water stops for dogs. Most of the trail is in the trees so this hike is lacking your typical vista views, but is worth the hike simply because of how few people you encounter. We went on a Saturday and only ran into 3 other groups during our 5 hour or so hike.

Ben Tyler Trail has heavy snow above 10,500 feet, as of May 28, 2017. Still a fun hike!

we did less than half but had a great time. challenging but enjoyable

Thursday, January 19, 2017

Great winter hike. I got a late start so I didn't finish the hike, but what I saw was wonderful! I think the trail is a little easer than the rating suggests. The trail was pretty visible even in the snow. This is a great hike that is worth another visit in the spring/summer.

Saturday, November 26, 2016

It's a beautiful trail. It's quite enclosed with many trees. Perfect for tree/forest lovers. Had gorgeous sites/veiws. I think it was the perfect difficulty for all levels of hiking experience. It is kind of a "hidden gem"

Wednesday, October 26, 2016

People with dogs are some of the most disrespectful jerks. Clearly dogs must be kept on a leash but we are living in an era where people feel entitled to ignore this simple request as pictures on this trail would indicate.

Sunday, October 09, 2016

Just finished this hike today. Lots of snow on the trail but still can hike it with just hiking boots. The aspens have golden leaves at lower elevation but are blown off all the trees as you gain elevation. Continued on trail past the summit down the Rock Creek Drainage area for about 30 minutes. I wanted to see the old lumber camp. Didn't make it. Clouds started rolling in. I found the trail south of the summit was spotty in some areas but cairns do help. I have driven by this trail many times and never dreamed it would be so challenging.

Monday, October 03, 2016

A great trail. Arrived at TH 7:30am. Didn't see another human until 11.
The climb is constant, but mild. A few scraggly spots. The ambiance is from the trail. Not a lot of great vistas.
I never did get to the end of the trail. After 6.2 miles I was at the summit which is a nice mountain meadow. The trail continued, I did not. On the way down met more people. In all, saw maybe 10 people. No horses or bikes. And lots of varied terrain. Got a touch of altitude sickness. You get up to 12k feet. A great Sunday hike!

Monday, September 19, 2016

Didn't get to complete the whole trail due to time constraints but it was a nice gradual climb the whole way. I hiked up mid September and the foliage was absolutely beautiful. Definitely want to go back and finish the hike.

Saturday, June 25, 2016

Hiked Ben Tyler this morning. Challenging yet rewarding, given the varied terrain and interesting switchbacks. I did see a very large bear cross the trail in front of me about half way back to 285. It did not concern itself for me, and once I saw it was alone, I continued my hike. The flat top was beautiful!

Saturday, February 27, 2016

Wonderful trail. Starts off with an incline. Didn't make it past a couple miles due to lack of snow equipment. Can see this being a great snowshoe trail too! Can't wait till the snow melts more and I can do the whole thing

Thursday, November 26, 2015

Great hike. Made it about 4 miles in before turning around due to snow drifts in the trail around 10k ft.