Ben Tyler Trail

Ben Tyler Trail is a 11.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Bailey, Colorado that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and snowshoeing and is best used from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This popular trail is named for Ben Tyler, who lived with his family in the gulch that bears his name. The trail offers spectacular views to the north and south from its high point, and the changing colors in September, particularly in the large aspen groves in Ben Tyler Gulch, are outstanding. From the Ben Tyler trailhead, the trail rises 1.4 miles to the boundary of the Lost Creek Wilderness. The trail continues up to a high saddle above treeline, which offers some spectacular views. From here the trail descends to the south into the Rock Creek drainage, to the Rock Creek trailhead.

beautiful hike

Been driving by this trail for years. Finally hiked it today. Didn't realize how steep and rocky it was until the way down. Recent rain made it absolutely beautiful, highly recommend this trail.

We camped in a huge aspen grove, saw a black bear and tons of wildflowers. The view if you hike the trail through the meadow is spectacular! I found it a difficult climb, especially with all of my camping gear but it was worth it. The whole weekend we only saw around 15 people. This would be an incredible autumn hike.

Always a fun hike. Snow stopped our progress at 5 miles, just around 10,200 ft. Still, a strenuous 10 mile hike with very few people around.

I would definitely classify this trail as moderate to hard. The first 2-3 miles you are climbing pretty steadily. After about a mile you have hit your first water crossing (small). There was plenty of water stops for dogs. Most of the trail is in the trees so this hike is lacking your typical vista views, but is worth the hike simply because of how few people you encounter. We went on a Saturday and only ran into 3 other groups during our 5 hour or so hike.

Ben Tyler Trail has heavy snow above 10,500 feet, as of May 28, 2017. Still a fun hike!

we did less than half but had a great time. challenging but enjoyable

Great winter hike. I got a late start so I didn't finish the hike, but what I saw was wonderful! I think the trail is a little easer than the rating suggests. The trail was pretty visible even in the snow. This is a great hike that is worth another visit in the spring/summer.

It's a beautiful trail. It's quite enclosed with many trees. Perfect for tree/forest lovers. Had gorgeous sites/veiws. I think it was the perfect difficulty for all levels of hiking experience. It is kind of a "hidden gem"