Ben Tyler Trail

Ben Tyler Trail is a 11.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Bailey, Colorado that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and snowshoeing and is best used from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This popular trail is named for Ben Tyler, who lived with his family in the gulch that bears his name. The trail offers spectacular views to the north and south from its high point, and the changing colors in September, particularly in the large aspen groves in Ben Tyler Gulch, are outstanding. From the Ben Tyler trailhead, the trail rises 1.4 miles to the boundary of the Lost Creek Wilderness. The trail continues up to a high saddle above treeline, which offers some spectacular views. From here the trail descends to the south into the Rock Creek drainage, to the Rock Creek trailhead.

Always a fun hike. Snow stopped our progress at 5 miles, just around 10,200 ft. Still, a strenuous 10 mile hike with very few people around.

I would definitely classify this trail as moderate to hard. The first 2-3 miles you are climbing pretty steadily. After about a mile you have hit your first water crossing (small). There was plenty of water stops for dogs. Most of the trail is in the trees so this hike is lacking your typical vista views, but is worth the hike simply because of how few people you encounter. We went on a Saturday and only ran into 3 other groups during our 5 hour or so hike.

Ben Tyler Trail has heavy snow above 10,500 feet, as of May 28, 2017. Still a fun hike!

we did less than half but had a great time. challenging but enjoyable

Great winter hike. I got a late start so I didn't finish the hike, but what I saw was wonderful! I think the trail is a little easer than the rating suggests. The trail was pretty visible even in the snow. This is a great hike that is worth another visit in the spring/summer.

It's a beautiful trail. It's quite enclosed with many trees. Perfect for tree/forest lovers. Had gorgeous sites/veiws. I think it was the perfect difficulty for all levels of hiking experience. It is kind of a "hidden gem"

People with dogs are some of the most disrespectful jerks. Clearly dogs must be kept on a leash but we are living in an era where people feel entitled to ignore this simple request as pictures on this trail would indicate.

Just finished this hike today. Lots of snow on the trail but still can hike it with just hiking boots. The aspens have golden leaves at lower elevation but are blown off all the trees as you gain elevation. Continued on trail past the summit down the Rock Creek Drainage area for about 30 minutes. I wanted to see the old lumber camp. Didn't make it. Clouds started rolling in. I found the trail south of the summit was spotty in some areas but cairns do help. I have driven by this trail many times and never dreamed it would be so challenging.

A great trail. Arrived at TH 7:30am. Didn't see another human until 11.
The climb is constant, but mild. A few scraggly spots. The ambiance is from the trail. Not a lot of great vistas.
I never did get to the end of the trail. After 6.2 miles I was at the summit which is a nice mountain meadow. The trail continued, I did not. On the way down met more people. In all, saw maybe 10 people. No horses or bikes. And lots of varied terrain. Got a touch of altitude sickness. You get up to 12k feet. A great Sunday hike!

Didn't get to complete the whole trail due to time constraints but it was a nice gradual climb the whole way. I hiked up mid September and the foliage was absolutely beautiful. Definitely want to go back and finish the hike.