Belcher Hill Trail

Belcher Hill Trail is a 7.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Golden, Colorado that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Very fun, beautiful views. Not hard.

from east trail head we did the 4 mile loop, belcher to longhorn and shorthorn back. beautiful day, traffic was pleasantly nice.
moderate skill level.

Horrible trail.. felt like a second class citizen because of all the mountain bikers. It’s also not ‘hard’ like the review says.. it’s quite tame.

Amazing views especially the loop at the top but I would not hike this trail again. We got passed by 50+ bikers some who were nicer than others in sharing the trail. Biker experience took away from the hike. I would definitely not recommend taking a dog on this trail.

Pretty hike and a good workout but WAY too many mountain bikes. No exaggeration, we passed (or got passed by) 75+ bikes today. We hiked about 8.5 miles (Belcher to Mustang to Sawmill and back) and there were bikes throughout the entire way.

Beautiful trail on a lovely day with my pup. There were lots of hikers and bikes at lower elevations on a Sunday afternoon, but the trail cleared out as you got higher. A really great hike!

This was the best hike I've been on since my last 14er. The ist 4-5 miles is steadily uphill but doable if you're in decent shape. My 21 year old daughter led the way with our dogs, Miller (living the High Life) and Ellie. My 14 1/2 year old wire haired mutt that keeps going and going...... The views are expansive and the trails are either dirt or dirt/rocks. We began on the southern part of Belcher Trail, hiked a few miles and turned left on the Mustang trail. Once the Mustang Trail hit the Sawmill Trail we continued to climb a not too steep pather until we reached the Sawmill Trail campsite near 7500'. This is the high point of the hike. The campsite is amazing! It has excellent tent sites, fire pits, picnic tables, free firewood, clean restroom metal bear bends, No one was camping but my daughter and I decided to backpack and camp their a night or two on our next visit. We did come across a couple of people riding horses, a handful of mountain bikers, runners, and small groups of hikers throughout the trip. But we were alone for a good portion of Mustang and Sawmill Trails. Sawmill eventually intersected with Belcher Trail again and it was downhill from there. There was some snow in the higher elevations but not enough to pull out crampons. The trail was dry for 97% of the hike. We began at 1:30pm and ended around 5:15pm. We hiked a total of 8.8 miles, climbed 130+ floors, and took over 20,000 steps. Overall, it was one of my favorites. We're all going to sleep well tonight. Adios for now

I did this trail along with White Ranch Loop. It was nothing but muddy trails (60% of the trails were covered with mud!!) even 10 days past after the last snow and it has been warm days(Today was 57F). If you enjoy mud run/hike, do it!

This is a good winter hike on a sunny day. Good elevation gain and much of the hike is in the sun.

Love everything about White Ranch Open Space. This particular trail is a go to for my family. We did the 2 mile loop on the south side and looped back by taking Sawmill. Great views, easily hiked by a 2 1/2 and 4 1/2 yr old.

A beautiful and easy to follow trail! Great views.

Friday, May 05, 2017

Hiked about 7 miles, went out Belcher and back Longhorn. Nice gradual trails with lots of bikers.

Sunday, March 05, 2017

First time here, what a great hike! Still some icy spots in the shaded areas of the less traveled trails. Pretty muddy in spots due to snow melt but nothing terrible. Can't wait to get back and try some of the other trails in the area!

Friday, February 17, 2017

easily my favorite trail in the area. camping spots for reservation (not to say I didn't stay a night with out a reservation) many different trails leading all over and all of them intersecting at some point I have not been on all of them either. Beautiful area and quiet after about a mile or two.

Thursday, October 27, 2016

Awesome hiking area and not many people there!! Can't wait to hike there again!!

Tuesday, September 06, 2016

definitely a workout but the trail is unshaded so you're baking under the sun, super busy with mountain bikers, joggers, horses, EVERYONE!!

Monday, August 29, 2016

Went on a Sunday and encountered lots of mountain bikers, and two groups on horseback. Very busy trail without much scenery at the top.

Monday, August 15, 2016

I came out on Monday morning looking for new turf. I did a combo of the Belcher, Whipple,.Longhorn and Short horn for a 3 hour trek. Lots of horse poo in spots and maybe 3 or 4 mountain bikes in the beginning but the rest of it I was completely alone, which is what I like. Lots of change in elevation and not the most interesting scenery until you get to the top when there are more boulders. That said, it was pretty much your basic scrub trail typical of the front range. Probably won't go back as there are more interesting places to.go. obviously from the terrain and tread wear this is a big biking spot, too.

Wednesday, August 10, 2016

It was extremely long and challenging. A portion of Rawhide trail was closed and I got lost because of that. It was terrifying. I would recommend any trails in this area but Rawhide trail.

Monday, July 25, 2016

Awesome trail, I do 6 miles, would like to do it more often but it's pretty desolate for a lone woman hiker, can get kinda scary way up there all alone.

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Great hike! Close enough to Denver, but didn't hear any traffic noise. Beautiful views, as well.

Sunday, May 29, 2016

We really loved this hike. There's definitely some steep climbs.. the views are worth it!!

Thursday, May 26, 2016

This trail offers a great challenge close to Denver in beautiful Golden. Be mindful of mountain bikers, especially on the way down! A hike I recommend if you're up for a challenge. Enjoy hiking!

Wednesday, May 18, 2016

great trail was difficult but great trail. steep and rocky in some sections but beautiful area with many different trail options.

Sunday, April 24, 2016

Nice hike. A few steep parts that got my heart rate up! Trail was a little muddy but the mud was easily avoidable.

Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Easy start and after about a mile it became very difficult. Smooth sailing after the tough part. Fun hike all in all.

Saturday, April 09, 2016

Good cardio workout and nice views. Trail well marked and maintained.

Tuesday, February 16, 2016

A reasonably challenging hike for me but the beautiful pine forests and magnificent views make it all worth it. I like being able to stop at the overnight camping area for lunch and then make my way back down the trail. In the spring time the trail is spotted with several areas of ice, mud and some snow drifts. So I like to bring Microspikes.