Beaver Trail

Beaver Trail is a 3.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Golden, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.4 miles Elevation Gain: 925 feet Route Type: Loop

city walk

fee

$7 entrance fee. Nice short hike, and lots of beautiful Aspens. Road noise is a little bit of a nuisance at the start, but it gets really quiet immediately after.

Beautiful wild flowers but steep on West side. Definitely recommend going counter clockwise (right side) to take the steeper path going up.

Very pretty, but was steep for me visiting from out of town.

I would label this trail moderate to difficult. It is shady and there are lots of wildflowers. Part of the trail is near the road.

Beautiful hike. Saw many Fairy Orchids and Mountain Bluebells.

Great little hike. Only downside is that you are close enough to the road to hear traffic for about half the hike.

Trail is about 70-80% slushy snow right now with lots of posthole opportunities. We went on a Sunday afternoon and only saw one other couple. The views on the left loop were good, with mostly obstructed views at the top. If you want an easier hike up, take the left side of the loop up.

Hiked on a Sunday morning (1/13/19) after about 6 inches of snow on Friday. It was absolutely beautiful and we only saw two other people. Lots of snow so spikes are necessary for the incline. The last mile (the 0.5 out and back) was inaccessible because of the snow and the trail had not been cleared so you would need snowshoes for this portion. The loop had a semi cleared path though!

I hiked on this on Saturday morning. I brought my spikes but didn't end up using them. There were a few slick spots but nothing major. I agree with the previous reviewer that counterclockwise is the way to go to avoid a steep decent. This hike goes through a very pretty forest. I wish I had read the previous review prior to my hike to find out about the trailhead change. I ended up asking a ranger to find out that you need to access the trail from Slough Pond.

Hiked this trail late this morning. The trailhead is at the Slough Pond. (There is no longer a trailhead at the Visitor’s Center) The first third of a mile to the trail loop is in the shade all day and the ground is frozen already the runoff makes for a very icy trail in parts. It was almost impossible to get past the pit toilets because of the snow/ice. Did slip on the way down there. As was mentioned in the description, there is a large stand of mature, large diameter, 50’+ aspens before you get to the shelter. Have to check that out next fall. I’d suggest going CCW to start as to not have to make a steep descent on loose rocks.

Glad to walk on clockwise. Walking on a trail with a dog on leash definitely uses more energy and more patience, and at times, poses more risk when you descend. I know my dog is thinking the same. Two-legged person can slip and fall, dragging the more secured 4-legged dog down. There were some spots that were steep and my dog was not very happy to have the other end of the leash held by the unstable two-legged person. My dog has the natural strategies to climb down, while this human prevented her to do so (my apologies). Lots of shade, and some great views.

Sunday, September 16, 2018

Up hill for a good chunk so it does challenge you a bit. Fun. Nice views but it was the same view the whole time.

Thursday, August 09, 2018

First hike since moving to Denver so I don't have anything to compare it to (and all with a 3 month old puppy). It was a nice hike with great views and nothing extremely challenging.

Thursday, July 26, 2018

Def do it counterclockwise if you want a challenge to start. Nice hike if you’re short on time and want to get the heart pumping and some views. Def go behind the shed.

Tuesday, May 01, 2018

Decent elevation changes over short distance. Nice quiet hike with some solid openings for views.

Saturday, January 13, 2018

Nice quiet hike. Park at Slough Pond. You have to pay a daily parks pass ($7). Trail conditions today were really good, only a few snowy/icy spots.

Saturday, October 07, 2017

Wasn't crowded. The view behind the shelter is a must.

Saturday, September 23, 2017

Nice short hike, and lots of beautiful Aspens starting to change. Road noise is a little bit of a nuisance at the start, but it gets really quiet immediately after because of the dirt and leaves covering the trail. We were advised to hike counterclockwise, which was a good decision. We chose not to go up the extra .5 mile to the shelter, but were told the view is better from there. This is a less crowded area than the rest of the park, with fewer people on the trail and more parking spaces available. Highly recommended for a short Fall outing!

Sunday, June 11, 2017

My girlfriend and I enjoyed this hike. Very steep at the start if you go counter clockwise. Make sure to take time to hike up to the shelter. The view is better up there.

Monday, April 10, 2017

Did some snowshoeing on this trail end of December 2016. It wasn't enough snow for shoeing the whole way and it was only me on the entire trail that day I think. Not really much of views or anything.

Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Nice trail, but does have road traffic noise. Did this with a four year old going left on the loop. It's doable but we had to carry him on part of the downhill due to incline. Fall foliage was good.

Monday, September 26, 2016

Was disappointed in this trail. The fall colors weren't that great. Not sure why it was difficult either and of course the road noise.

Monday, July 11, 2016

Very nice trail. Short and steep. Smooth, shady track through lots of aspens. Lots of wild flowers. Beautiful sunny day with strong breeze blowing the aspen leaves. Limited views at the top. Not crowded at all.

Saturday, June 11, 2016

Clearly marked trail. Some steep inclines. Good view at the top but it was blocked by some trees. Short fun hike.

Monday, January 18, 2016

Steep inclines, and be sure to follow the signs! As there was parts that became confusing, otherwise it was a great hike for a sunny day. Like many others said, not much of mountain views. enjoy.

Sunday, August 16, 2015

Fabulous! However, nearby motor traffic can be heard throughout trail.

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

going right off the trailhead takes you up a steep climb, but traffic can be heard from time to time. excellent quick half day hike. tucked away in the forest but no great mountain views. Will be back for sure.

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

I went right at the trailhead which resulted in a very steep climb up the mountain. The forest was beautiful and since I neglected to check the weather forecast beforehand, I ended up hiking in a downpour! This is a shorter but somewhat difficult hike (due only to the steep incline), and it's perfect if you only have a couple of hours. I would do this hike again. I only gave 4 stars because I could hear some light traffic from the canyon road for about 20 minutes or so into the hike and that always kinda irritates me lol :)

2 minutes ago