Beaver Mountian Trail [CLOSED]

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(56)
Rocky Mountain National Park

Beaver Mountian Trail is a 4.1 mile loop trail located near Estes Park, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers. The trail is rated as moderate and is primarily used for hiking.

Distance: 4.1 miles Elevation Gain: 843 feet Route Type: Loop

closed

It has been reported this trail has a temporary closure due to COVID-19. Please see the park's website for up to date information.

This was a pleasant trail that the snow made even better. Not a very challenging trail. A lot of trees were down which were covering the trail in at least 4 spots. One of which I needed to crawl under. Saw a few squirrels, nothing larger. Can be kid friendly but I always wonder if any increase in grade can be hard for children to tackle.

Loved this trail! Extended it with nearby trails to be about 5 miles. Took me through an aspen grove with amazing fall colors. A few spots at the beginning and end with great mountain views. Arrived around 10am on a Sunday, plenty of parking. Some shaded spots, some open spots. No dogs allowed.

I really enjoyed this trail. It's not too challenging and offered the opportunity to see some unique environments. There is a wonderful overlook over the Moraine park valley. We started a bit later, at 10 am and easily got a parking space. It's a great warm up to the altitude.

Good first day at altitude trail. Don’t tell anybody, but it’s perfect for too busy weekend days.

Nice first full day at altitude hike. Grateful for shade!

Wonder why the upper beaver area isn't as popular as Bear lake. Very scenic moderate hike, good views of the valley. Lots of bugs when I went, prefer this over the moderate ranked hikes near Bear lake.

Great hike with awesome views of Moraine Park valley. Moderate hike in this 70 year old's opinion. I got there early and was the first person in the parking lot and did not see one person on the trail until I got back to the lot. I walked clockwise so I stayed ahead of any other hikers. Really nice walk in the woods and amazingly not crowded given it's in RMNP in the summer.

The signs were not very clear and we ended up having to walk a mile on the road back to our car. Horse poop all over the trail. Probably would not do again.

Excellent trail, clear signage, great views. Completed it in just over 2 hours with 3 children (11, 9 and 5) in close to perfect conditions. Recommended!

With FC NC group

Sun May 05 2019

Great makeshift loop we made by connecting a few trails and going off trail ... was sunny with some great views! Easy hike

Thu Jun 14 2018

We just completed the Beaver Mountain Trail which is a delightful 5 Mile Loop. It traverses Beaver Meadow and then climbs into the forest. For a while the landscape is somewhat unusual in that there are a lot of dead trees from the pine borer beetle. There is no undergrowth in this area. Once you leave the forested area you start climbing again and just below the summit is a wonderful "Zen" type location near the horse hitching post. From there you have excellent views down the valley into the mountain ranges beyond. You will continue to get these views as you ascend. Having gone counterclockwise and wanting additional hiking, we decided to take a spur along the Ute Trail and went for about 2 miles. After the short sharp climb the trail levels off passing the wet meadow until you get to the campsite.There is a very convenient stream if you have a water filtration system. We continued on through sparse forest and flower laden meadows. The trail continues for another 7 miles with a total elevation gain of almost 3,000 feet. We returned to complete the Beaver Mountain Trail seeing deer & a mother grouse with 8 chicks. The combination of terrains gave a wide variety of landscapes and a huge number of wildflowers. The beaver Mountain Trail would be excellent for jogging or cross-country if I were 50 years younger.

Wed Jun 13 2018

Arrived around 9am on a Tuesday in summer, only a hand full of cars at the trail head and we only passed two small groups so we had the whole trail to ourselves. Mid 30s, pretty fit, carrying a 30lb infant on my back, went counter clockwise and took about 2:45 not counting a stop at the top. There is a horse rack at the "top" which is a great place to stop for a snack before heading down.

Fri Nov 24 2017

Pretty path. Saw elk. Lots of Sage made it smell nice too.

Tue Jul 11 2017

We started at the top of the mountain at Ute Trail and came all the way down to connect with this trail to be picked up by a friend at the parking lot in the valley. This is a nice little hike into nature. Nothing too stunning besides the original valley that is right by the parking lot. It's a nice walk though if you want to get out. If you have the option for a point-to-point, definitely a good idea to do what we did and hike it down from the top starting at Ute Trail. It would be a lot tougher on the way up, but more rewarding because the views are up there at the top of Ute Trail. There is a span of incredible incline though. You have to be prepared for this long hike if you're going up it. I would not out-and-back this trail connection though; that's too much.

recorded Beaver Mountian Trail