Beaver Lake Trail

Beaver Lake Trail is a 6.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Avon, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Pristine mountain lake in the Holy Cross Wilderness. Begin This trail is located off of Elk Creek Rd. In Beaver Creek Village. Beaver Lake located 9746 feet elevation.

Have hiked this trail 3 times. Always a pleasure. I take my dog. He loves the lake. I try to hike during the week to avoid crowds.

This was a very nice hike! It is about 2.0 miles to the lake, with easy-moderate hills the whole way, and it is basically in the shade the whole way. The lake itself is very pretty and a great place for a dog to go swimming and cool off. It would also be a gorgeous place to have a picnic.

Awesome trail!! Uphill the entire way to the lake but very scenic and interesting. The lake was beautiful! A great place to have a picnic!

Had the trail to Beaver Lake to ourselves for about 90% of the time. Eventually had 2 people riding horses pass at the lake. Instead of taking BLT back down we took the Royal Elk Trail across to the gondola - some great sights along the way. Around 6-6.5 miles total.

Of course it is all uphill to the lake but it is a beautiful trail. At the lake you have to deal with aggressive chipmunks ready and able to steal any and all snacks you have. Figure about 3 1/2 to 4 hours round trip. Great workout.

This was a very nice hike and worth the effort to get to the lake. Little muddy
through a short section with very minimal snow. Wild flowers haven't budded yet. Very peacful trek.

An OK hike. Nice lake, nice stream beside trail. But, a pretty long and steep hike. You can no longer park at trailhead, must park in Ford parking instead, which adds a lot of mileage. It’s now 8 miles out and back, with 1,600 ft vertical. And, pretty crappy walking on a dirt road for several miles. Absolute worst part, was all the horse crap on the trail. Worst I’ve ever seen.

Experienced hiker. CO, CA, TN, MA, AR, TX and others. This trail has one direction and it is straight up. From the Beaver Creek Resort it's a 1.5 mile trail called five senses trail which is really just along the road to the Beaver Creek fire station. The trail is not an awful trail, though is not all that scenic. Anybody indicating that it's a moderate trail doesn't know they're talking about. This trail just goes up. We agree with others that Lake is scenic, but no more scenic than any other Alpine Lake. Do yourself a favor, pass on this trail and find another in the area more suitable for the investment of time and effort. David Joyner

My wife and I are 65 and in decent but not great shape. We loved this trail. The creek ran beside it most of the way, and most of the trail was wooded. The incline was challenging, but doable. The lake is amazing! We'll use this trail again. However, we really wish they could eliminate the horse poop.....

This was an ok trail. It is a wide gravel trail that is a steady up. The end is the best part when you actually get more into hiking trails and finish up at the lake. The other downside is you out in the open most of the time

Not too difficult but pretty. Bring water and bug spray

Good hike. Mostly old service road, so easy to walk and talk.

absolutely loved this hike!! one of the most beautiful hikes I’ve ever been on! Start at 5 senses trail and take that up to the beaver lake trailhead! It didn’t take too long and walking along the river was spectacular. Highly recommend.

Great moderate hike. All uphill to the lake. Took our 10,9, and twin four year olds. About 2 hours from the beginning of 5 senses trailhead to the lake with a short water break every 30 minutes.

Great hike! We did this with our 4 and 7 yr old. They are awesome hikers though bc this was tough. 9.5 miles up a mountain with ~2k elevation gain.

We started from Beaver Creek and hiked up to the lake. Absolutely beautiful. We then backtracked to the Royal Elk and hiked to the gondolas for a free ride down. The whole time was amazing. My only recommendation is that if you are coming from a much lower elevation (we came from Tulsa, OK) is that you might want to wait a couple of days to adjust.

We took the gondola up and started on Royal Elk Trail , which cuts across Grouse Mountain on a mostly downhill single track with a lot of shade. Beaver Lake is beautiful and a great place for a picnic. We went down the Beaver Lake trail and then cut across Village to Village over to Bachelor Gulch. 3.5 hours total and a great hike. Not too much uphill doing it this way but still a nice way to spend the day!

took our 7,8,&10 yr old on this hike, they loved the lake! it is a nice incline all the way up, take a lunch and enjoy the lake.

The first 1.5 miles is essentially walking through the ski resort. The last push to lake is not very impressive trail. The lake though is beautiful. The trail headed to turquoise lake was spectacular. If you have the extra time would recommend.

Absolutely beautiful with wildflowers, butterflies, deer and the beautiful lake. Hikes up Overlook to Allies Trail and back through Royal Elk. Going back is much more difficult. Would rate this more on the difficult side.

Great Hike! Rewarded with the beautiful lake at the end!!

This was a very fun trail! We began on the five senses trail at 8 in the morning and from there began the beaver lake trail. The five senses trail takes you through a residential area, however there is still plenty to experience. Within the first ten minutes of starting our hike we saw a fox! The trail to beaver lake was wide and allowed my group of four to have fun and chat with one another along the way. We saw deer, beavers, and marmots! The hike is shaded a large portion of the way. Certain times we got a bit winded going up hill, but then again we were all coming from sea level and hadn’t quite acclimated to the thinner air. Right before the sign for royal elk trail appeared, the path got fairly thin and my group had to walk single file for the last ten minutes or so. Once we reached the lake it was stunning! I believe packing a lunch would be wise (or at least a snack) because my group was fairly hungry by this point. Take time to relax and enjoy the scenery! It is also worth it to walk along some of the small paths near the lake and make your way around to see different perspectives! There were tons of cute little alpine squirrels to sit and watch as well. From this point we turned around and went to the royal elk trail. This trail cuts horizontally across the mountains towards the gondolas. This trail was thin the entire time and my group had to walk single file the whole way. Sometimes the terrain was challenging for my group, but with frequents breaks we powered through. I was hoping to see more animals on this trail, however that was not the case. Royal elk was challenging, but in a fun way that brought my group together. At the end of royal elk trail it was 12 noon (4 hours from the start of the hike). I wish we began an hour earlier because by eleven in the morning the sun started heating things up more than I would like (nothing unbearable just a personal preference). Eating lunch and having a brew at the restaurant and then taking the gondola for FREE down was worth all the hard work we put into the hike! Overall this hike was great! We never had to go down hill during the hike which really saved my knees. If you are in Beaver Creek , I highly recommended taking the morning to complete this hike. It is very enjoyable, you get some spectacular views, encounter some friendly animals, and it is an absolute blast to do with family and friends.

Took Centennial Lift up, hiked over to and through a Royal Elk, up to Beaver Lake. The lake is lovely and very full of fish...cutbows, I believe. This route is not much uphill. There are a couple climbs but mostly downhill. Saw people on the trail with no water or packs. That was stupid! Seemed fine for dogs...there were quite a few with people.

Fun trail, I thought it was very scenic and definitely a strong moderate trail that was challenging. We followed the Five Senses trail out of the Beaver Creek area, easy to find from the Centennial Lift. We did not stay on the road, but followed the trail near the creek to the Beaver Lake trailhead. From there it is basically 2.5 miles up the long hill to the lake. Unfortunately like other reviewers have mentioned, the horse manure along the way was very annoying. About every 20-30 yards was another load on the ground, which I could have lived with but since it was fresh, it attracted flies and took away from the wonderful pine scent. We took the Royal Elk trail on the way. back. I highly recommend this route as it was even more challenge and very pretty though the mountain to get to the Centennial chair lift. Also, no horse manure. Plus there were bathrooms, food and beer at the Lift.

Start on 5 Senses trail in Beaver Creek Village. This will get you into wilderness faster. The whole trail was pretty easy to navigate. It’s best to start early. We set out at 9:00 and should have started about 8:00. Please go all the way to the lake, it’s worth it. Please venture into the lake for a dip, you worked this hard, reward yourself. On the way back down turn onto Royal Elk Trail and follow that to the Gondola. Royal Elk is a 2.5 mile hike that cuts across the mountain. They are FREE to ride down.

Nice hike. The first section goes through parts of Beaver Creek Resort which is nice but quite developed.
Steep parts are reasonable.
Wish they had some distance markers to encourage the novice.

Took my 8 and 11 year old. We started from the beaver creek lodge at about 9:30 am. We saw fantastic wildlife as soon as we passed all the buildings. It is quite a climb- my kids struggled often throughout. Might have been because we’re from Indiana and we notice the thin air here. Beautiful scenery especially when you reach the lake. We had lunch and the chipmunks were very entertaining and friendly. The climb down was very easy and quick.

Great trail, great views. Serves as a good beginner trail for new hikers in fairly decent physical condition.

This trail doesn't get very good until 2 miles in. No parking is allowed at the actual trailhead or on the street, so you must park at the Beaver Creek parking structure. From there it's about a mile walk following a paved road to the actual trailhead. From the trailhead, it's another mile before it starts to feel more secluded and away from the resort. Nice and shady in the morning, but still required 1L+ of water. Lots of little stream crossings and access to the creek for my dog to catch a drink of water and cool off. I probably wouldn't go out of my way to do this trail again unless I was staying IN Beaver Creek. Takes too long to become secluded. Took about 2h 30m from the parking structure and back and had the lake to myself around 9:50 AM on a Thursday.

Per Forest Service recommendation, we ventured up the trail to see Beaver Lake to fly fish. While we know the area and expected snow pack, the trail gets covered and wet early, right after you see the Beaver Creek lifts, 8, 9, and 10. Lake is still frozen, so no fishing was to be had. Great trail though. Fun workout and awesome setting.