Beaver Lake Trail is a 6.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Avon, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.3 miles Elevation Gain: 1,689 feet Route Type: Out & Back

partially paved

Pristine mountain lake in the Holy Cross Wilderness. This trail is located off of Elk Creek Rd. in Beaver Creek Village. No parking allowed at the trailhead, so you must park in the Beaver Creek parking structure, then take the 4 Senses Trail up to the Beaver Lake trailhead. Beaver Lake located at 9746 feet elevation.

fee

This hike is amazing! The majority of the trail is covered in snow, making snow shoes a necessity. The trail is very easy to follow, but not easy to find. My suggestion is to follow Elk Track Rd. from a parking garage in Beaver Creek. Currently, parking is free but this will change in the near future. I highly recommend hiking this trail as the views are absolutely incredible! The lake is gorgeous even when frozen over.

Finding the trail head seems to be part of the adventure. Construction in the area forced us to park in a garage, then navigate the shopping district, to find ourselves at the chair lift at Chophouse, taking a maintenance road to the fire station, to find the trail. Some snow still on the trail making the descent a bit slippery at times. But great hike even for us lowlanders.

Beaver Lake at the end was beautiful! The hike was 95% uphill, but it wasn’t awful. The aspen were in full swing out there! Very beautiful hike and Beaver Creek is running next to you at all times. The trail also continues past the lake. We weren’t sure where it took you to as it was off the grid. We walked about 20 minutes past the lake and had to turn around. You have to park in the Beaver Creek public parking garages (free) and navigate to the church/chapel. Access to the trail head is at the very top of the paved road that runs alongside the chapel. The five senses trail takes you right to the trailhead, about a mile up the road.

This hike was amazing. We are from Texas so was a bit difficult for us, but definitely worth it. Did it just under 4 hours (starting at 5 senses trail) and we're probably up at the lake resting for about 30-45min. Very beautiful hike, once you get passed the fire station (like where beaver lake trail actually starts). Doesn't feel like you're at a ski resort at all.

Loved this hike. The fall colors were outstanding. Not to difficult and Beaver Lake is stunning. One of my favorite hikes

Very nice and well-maintained trail with many opportunities to enjoy the aspen at their peak fall colors. Runs alongside a creek much of the way too, and although within the ski area I would say the upp er 2/3 feels like the middle of nowhere. Definitely recommended. Note AllTrails map and distance stat INCLUDES the short “5 Senses” trail required to get to the Beaver Lake trailhead proper, which I think AllTrails was right to do.

Pretty much uphill all the way with no switchbacks. Several hikers along the way. Cool views of the Aspens changing colors in the mountains. Nice creek (Beaver Creek?) along much of the trail. The lake is very calm and scenic. We hiked around to the other side of the lake, less people. Very pristine. We didn't want to go straight back down the trail because of the lack of switchbacks. So we went across Royal Elk trail, which was sort of average, going across several ski slopes, more uphill most of the way. The Centennial lift was closed, so we hiked back down on the Overlook Trail, which was definitely the most scenic of the three trails.

Nice, I’d say pretty easy hike up to the lake. Only 2 other people there when i went yesterday. I parked at the garage at the shops, it was free. Then walked up the side of the road thru 5 senses trail (could have done without this) if someone can drop you off at the end of the road that would be better. Added an extra mile from parking to start of trail. After the lake I took the Royal Elk trail to the gondola. Highly recommend this! Overall nice hike, quiet and peaceful. views don’t come till towards the end before the lake, look behind you and you’ll see.

well maintained, this is a great local BC trail, no it is not the wilderness, but I don't expect wilderness next to a ski resort

I started this hike on 9/4/19 from beaver creek village on the five senses trail which connects to this trail. The first mile or so you can just walk straight up the paved road or choose to walk on the trail which parallels the road. Started at 850am and made it to beaver lake at 10am. This trail goes in and out of climbs but I’d say the first part is a steady climb but not to bad. You’ll have plenty of chances to catch your breath since the trail does level out quite a bit along the way. The last .5mi-1mi is the hardest. The trail is a mix of gravel, dirt, and rock along the way. Everything was well marked! I’d do this again for a ‘quick hike’. I tracked exactly 2.9 miles to the lake but it could be off. After this I decided to turn off and take the village to village trail which was easy and 95% flat to the lost buck trail to go down. I recommend that if you still want to see more on your decent down. The decent was easy.

We have a penchant for hiking to the top of ski runs and taking the gondola down, so we had to tweak this trail a little. Pretty much followed the directions for this hike all the way to the lake, but then took Royal Elk to Spruce Saddle for a beer and a burger and a blessed gondola ride back to the base, but this review is for the ascent. We had the trail to ourselves nearly the entire time, and it proved to be peaceful but demanding. Pretty steep all the way to the lake, which was beautiful. Would do it again!

Hiked on a Saturday at 4pm so it wasn’t crowded. Trail in great conditions.

Very crowded. Hiked from parking garage to lake then cut across ski slopes and rode gondola down

Nice hike. Lakeside lunch a plus. If you want to avoid the early parts of this trail that others have criticized, suggest you take Overlook Trail out of Beaver Creek to Allie’s Way, then go right on Allie’s Way. It drops you at three lifts. Then Go up and right for @ 100 yds. Entry to Beaver Lake Trail will be on left. Also if you don’t like a steep decline that you’ll encounter on way down Beaver Lake Trail back to Beaver Creek, take Royal Elk Trail (entry just below Beaver Lake) to Spruce Saddle and take gondola down.

Breathtaking views....plan on spending at least 5-7 hours going to the lake and back down, but well worth the hike!

Very nice hike for my wife and I. It was a little difficult due to the elevation gain but if you don’t hurry and rest occasionally it isn’t too much. Some shade along the trail. Great scenery along the trail which follows Beaver Creek most of the time and Beaver Lake was awesome. We would definitely do this hike again.

Have hiked this quite a few times over the years and think of it as a perfect family hike, especially if you’re staying in or near Beaver Creek. Yes, it is a popular hike and you won’t have the feeling of the woods to yourself, but it’s also nice greeting the friendly folks & dogs on the trail. We got a ride as far up as the road goes (parking is lower down in village), otherwise you’re spending time and energy walking up a road. Even with getting a ride we passed through maintenance facility areas before reaching the actual trailhead; that’s my biggest complaint, though in the balance not too big of one. Mostly you’re hiking through lovely woods alongside Beaver Creek, and the wildflowers are gorgeous this week. Trail is well maintained. The lake at the end is the perfect picnic spot, tranquil and beautiful. Would have loved to have continued on to turquoise lakes had we gotten an earlier start and had I not had 2 kids with me!

We took Centennial lift up to Royal Elk and hiked down to Beaver lake trail . Then up a little to Beaver Lake . Then took the Beaver Lake trail all the way down to the base . It’s an awesome hike . 2.5 miles on Royal Elk to Beaver Lake . Then another 2.5 miles down to Beaver creek base . The lake is beautiful and cold . Bring bug spray . Would highly recommend this trail . The lake is spectacular and our dogs had a blast swimming in it and cooling off. Would rate as a moderate in difficulty .

Forgot to stop the hike lol took 2 hours lol great hike!!

Great trail through Beaver Creek. Fairly moderate grade except for one spot where you feel like your climbing half the elevation in one span. But flattens back out after. If you hit the lake, keep going on the trail along the lake and then descend. It’s really pretty.

Awesome hike !! Beautiful scenery!!

Great trail. Gets steep with rocks toward the top, but worth it for the lake

Trail was a great trail for people new to hiking that still want a challenge. My family all hiked this in a few hours. My youngest son loved all the chipmunks and ground squirrels at Beaver Lake. They come right up to you in search of snacks.

We drove to Beaver Creek Village and was able to access free public parking. We did the five senses trail which was a bit congested and filled with families and kids. After that we had more open space for walking. It is was quite moderate and the views were spectacular once you got to the lake. We were surprised by thunderstorms and hail (in July!) and had to be careful going down. Overall very pleasant with stunning views of Colorado.

Good for families. You’re basically waking up a dirt road. There is one creek crossing over logs that is minimally technical. The lake is pretty. We took this trail up to the elk crossing/ spruce saddle trail and then took the gondola down.

I would definitely recommend this hike for the moderate/beginner hiker. It has a steep start but flattens out and the second half follows Beaver Creek back to the Village. Finish with a bite and drink at C Bar and you've nailed it. Have fun.

We LOVED this trail. We took “dial a ride” (free shuttle service around Beaver Creek) to the Beaver Lake trail trailhead. It took about 1.5 hours to get to the gorgeous lake. I felt like we were going fairly fast but there were people trail running going way faster. (I recommend skipping the 5 senses trail and using the shuttle instead - that trail is a really difficult mile mostly on/near a road so it’s not that great.) There are some logs to sit on to enjoy snacks with views of the lake. You can feel the freezing water too! The hike definitely has some steepness to it. Then we backtracked just a little bit to the Royal Elk trail. It took us close to 2 hours to get to Spruce Saddle but we were being pretty leisurely and enjoying the amazing views. Royal Elk goes up and down with a lot of flat parts in between. It crosses over several ski slopes and then goes through forests in between - so it was a perfect combo of shade and sun, forest and open areas. I liked this part of our hike better than Beaver Lake. We had an amazing lunch at Spruce Saddle and then took the gondola down (for free! You need a $42 ticket if you take the ski lift up but “downloading” is free.) We left the village at 9 am and were back at 2:30, including admiring the lake, lunch, downloading, etc. You could definitely do it faster if you wanted but we were in no rush-just wanted to get to cookie time in the village at 3 pm!