Learn more

Beaver Creek Loop Trail is a 7.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Penrose, Colorado that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, and backpacking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 7.5 mi Elevation gain 1,696 ft Route type Loop

No shade

Description
Waypoints (7)
Tips

Please note: As of July, 2019, users have reported that there are closures in this area. Please consult the park's website before visiting. The Beaver Creek Wilderness Study Area covers 40,000 acres of uninhabited, road-free wild country. According to the Central Colorado Wilderness Coalition, "bighorn sheep and elk find winter and summer range in Beaver Creek. Mule deer, black bear, mountain lion, beaver, golden and bald eagle, and ring-tailed cats and the threatened Mexican spotted owl and peregrine falcon utilize the area. Vegetation includes Douglas fir, Ponderosa pine, Limber pine, aspen, pinon-juniper woodlands, and wetlands streams." Beaver Creek is in the Pike National Forest, 13 miles northeast of Canon City and 10 miles southwest of Colorado Springs. Its boundaries are within El Paso, Fremont, and Teller Counties, and it lies on the south slope of Pikes Peak between Phantom Canyon Road and Hwy 115. The Beaver Creek Loop hike begins at the trailhead at the end of CR 132, but the loop itself starts about .75 miles from the trailhead. During this hike you'll experience creek bottom jungle, quadriceps burning ascents, breathtaking views of vertical splendor and evergreen carpets, and the magical sights and sounds of a rushing Rocky Mountain river. You will not be the first to make this trip because some of the trail was engineered during Gold Rush days. You will discover that this 7.3 mile trek is truly an "E-Ticket ride" that will make you want to get in line again and again. Go south on Hwy 115 out of Colorado Springs for 32 miles. Turn right at the Brush Hollow Reservoir turnoff onto Fremont County Road 123. Follow this road 5 miles to CR 132. Turn right and travel 11 miles to the parking area. CR 132 is a dirt road, graded every spring. Some of its is quite rutted, but I've seen all kinds of vehicles in the trailhead parking area. If you want a really FULL day, drive down Hwy 67 from Divide. This becomes Phantom Canyon Road (24 miles of Colorado beauty), which parallels Beaver Creek (but not within view). Turn east on CR 123 until you reach CR 132.

Bring Water! During the summer temperatures can reach into the 90s. You'll use a lot of water hiking this route. If you bring a dog, bring more water. And, I'd suggest dog boots; the decomposed granite on this trail can be rough on a dog's feet. There's a big, yellow sign for a shooting range right before the turn off onto 132 when you're coming from the east.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (142)
Photos (122)
Recordings (93)
Completed (204)
Bob Lammi
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 25, 2020
Hiking

The trail is overgrown in spots. We lost the trail for a considerable amount of time. If you go CCW, the last 3 miles are pretty poorly marked. Make sure you have a downloaded copy of the map, and if you are unsure of where the trail is, take your time! Otherwise a beautiful and challenging hike.

View Bob's Recording
Sonny Cruz
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 23, 2020
HikingBugsNo shadeOver grownWashed out

I traversed this trail counter clockwise. Once I got to the creek section, I felt lost. The trail runs in and out of the creek and canyon side. Over grown and washed out. Lots of bear scat in the area. Some good views and a pretty creek.

Trevor Sams
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 18, 2020
HikingBugsOver grown

Left the trailhead about 8:30 and decided to go counter clockwise, very glad I did! The first section, part of the gulch trail, follows a dry creek bed and is surprisingly lush and shaded. The bugs however were insane, highly highly recommend bringing bug spray. Once I reached the fork for the power line trail the real work began, its constant uphill with no shade but it was so worth it! The views at the top are great! Once I started dropping into the beaver creek side there was more shade. You can see a few of the power poles at this point. Going this direction I managed to only lose the trail a couple times. As mentioned, there’s a log with rocks stacked on it blocking the path AllTrails shows. It’s by a small pile of metal and a large, upright rock. I opted to not go that way and instead went left, up the cliff. It ended up meeting the trail further along. Going this way I managed to only have to perform one-ish water crossings. (Walked through the creek a bit then returned to my original side). My advice would be to stick to the left side of the creek. There is a sign warning of a section on the west side of the loop where part of the trail washed out on the cliff side. Personally, I didn’t find it too sketchy. My GSD and I didn’t have any problems crossing it. Brought my pup and he loved playing in the creek but bring LOTS of water if you bring your dog, and make sure to offer it to them often! Overall, I really liked this trail! Definitely get an early start to beat the heat. Pretty sunny and overgrown in spots but I much prefer that over super-manicured trails! Oh and I did have one snake surprise me so keep an eye out!

View Trevor's Recording
Brian Montrose
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 4, 2020
HikingNo shadeOver grownRockyScrambleWashed out

At the parking lot there was a sign that stated: as of July 1, 2020, a valid state hunting or fishing license is required for access to the area. Luckily I had one but something to keep in mind Hiked this trail early July with my dog. Started out around 8:00am and glad I did. By the time I finished at noon it was around 90 and I had just about finished all my water. The west side of the trail has access to the creek, although you're high up the cliff side for much of it. I went clockwise and went straight to the creek. I lost the trial pretty quickly and stumbled around with a few probably unnecessary crossings. Eventually I found the trail heading up the cliff wall a bit. It's a little overgrown and can be confusing. Some parts are either washed out or are not the trail but look close enough. Saw three rattlesnakes down near the creek and one once the trail started climbing up, so keep an eye out. The climb up the west slope is a bit strenuous but the trail down the other side is just as steep. It's mostly pinon and juniper on the summits and eastern slope, so not very much shade. Once you get down into the gulch it's pretty gentle, as the trail crosses the dry creek bed several times and there is some shade even during the late morning. Lots of wildflowers and little critters in the gulch. Make sure to bring plenty of water and sturdy boots. The trail is rocky most of the time. Be ready to push your way through a lot of brush. The view from the top is wonderful, although without much shade there isn't a great spot to stop and eat. I came across a few fire rings that make for good resting areas, but don't forget to check for snakes.

Josh Kannenberg
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 13, 2020
Hiking

This should be renamed to Powerline Loop Trail. This trail has maybe 4 signs on the entire trail, and the stretch by the creek is is very confusing and with all the overgrown plants covering the trail you have to make many assumptions and corrections. This is fun at times, but also frustrating. We did about 10 miles total from the parking lot. Bring plenty of water!! Or have a water filter. Also, it seems that GPS tends to take you up the canyon on CR 67, when you really need to take 123 to 132. Google Maps tried to correct us to back track from the canyon section of 67, but was telling us to turn on private property. The property even had signs that said “GPS is wrong, turn around.” I had input the coordinates from All Trails to google maps, and I may have missed a turn but I then didn’t have service which led to manual directions being needed.

Sarah Letendre
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 30, 2020
HikingOver grownRockyWashed out

This trail surprised me—because of the beautiful views and the somewhat unexpected conditions. This trail offers views of many different biomes and every turn seems to have a new lookout. After reading the other reviews, we noted that we’d have to pay attention to the forks because apparently they’d be easy to miss. Let me just say, they are VERY easy to miss...especially if you go counterclockwise which is what we did. I think if you go clockwise, it’s that much easier to catch the forks. We went counterclockwise and missed most of the places where the trail forked. This just meant that we had several creek crossings (and very wet feet) compared to a few creek crossings and took some extra time. The trail is rocky so I’m glad I had hiking shoes on, but if you think you’re going to miss the forks or want to walk the creek, bring your chacos. (Though maybe this depends on the time of year) There’s lots of cactus too so may need booties for your doggos if they join you for this hike. Great hike and will gladly do again!

View Sarah's Recording
Shane May
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 27, 2020
HikingFloodedRocky
View Shane's Recording
Francis Karl
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 7, 2020
Hiking

I started out going clockwise but ran into a cliff I didn't want to traverse (it's one of the points on the alltrails map) so I turned around and went the other way, up the powerline trail tilI go to the top, then turned around so I wouldn't have to face that cliff from the other side. Well maintained, nice variety of scenery! The weather was a little hazy but I think if it werent I would have had a lovely view of some peaks from the top. I'd definitely recommend bringing a map or using a gps on this trail, there's a few unmarked junctions that can get confusing. And to get to the trailhead, follow the instructions in the Alltrails description, my GPS tried to send me through a private road with a no tresspassing sign, I had to reroute myself.

Roy CO
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 25, 2020
HikingNo shadeOver grownRockyWashed out

Great hike- only seen two men fly fishing in the river and a few more hikers just starting at the end near the start. We tackled the hike counter clockwise. Would not do this in the summer as the second half has little to no cover from the sun. Ate lunch down by the river which was very nice. Great workout, challenging in some areas. Felt remote-isolated. Trail is overgrown in some areas so pants is best or your legs will get cut up a bit. Don't be fooled by the fact you reach the top and think you come down to the river bottom and an easy hike back to the start, the cliff line trail back above the river still takes you up and down a few times!

Ron Frankford
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMarch 28, 2020
Hiking

Beautiful area, not a lot of people on the trail. As mentioned by some, if you go clockwise you will come to an area where the trail is washed out and a long drop below, can be a difficult area to cross for some. Be safe! There is access to water/streams. Trail had some tree cover in areas, sunscreen recommended. Drive to trail head is on gravel/dirt road, 4x4 recommended in some areas especially if the road is wet. Note: Please leave no trace! If you bag your pet's poop don’t leave it there, be responsible and take it back with you, otherwise it will be there for a 100 years. Better yet, teach your pet to shit in the woods and not on the trail :/ AllTrails does not have a way to communicate with other outdoor enthusiast, I can be reached on Facebook Messenger if you have any questions about this trail.

Rodney Pierson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 28, 2020
HikingIcyRocky

First off a few details: #1 — hiked this trail on 1/26, a warm sunny January day. #2 — there are exactly 3 directional signs along the whole loop. #3 — I only saw 4 other people the whole time. Now for the hike itself. For starters, I went clockwise and I’m glad I did. Many parts of the Creek were iced over but not al. The first crossing did have some large boulders and 4” logs. Slipped and did get my feet wet on this one but they dried quickly enough. The other crossings I was able to walk across the ice. During the hike I did get off track twice. Once early on after the trail splits I wondered too far to the east of the creek and started into a small side canyon before realizing my mistake. The second time was later before the climb begins in earnest. That time I strayed too far to the west of the creek. Both times I realized my mistake and was able to get back on track easily. But the map on the AllTrails app was super helpful! The hike up when you go clockwise was tough but not overly so. It was about a mile with between 800-900 feet of elevation gain. Trail was good and there was plentiful shade. Going down the other side seemed more rocky with less shade. Didn’t really matter in January but I could see it making a difference in the summer. All in all a great hike. Definitely not your typical front country hike. I did have cell reception at the very top of the loop but that was it. For those of you who like lots of signage, people near by, and cell reception this isn’t the trail for you. But if you are looking for a wilder, more remote, challenging hiking experience, definitely give it a try!

Ruriko Hosaka
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 18, 2020
HikingIcySnow

Beautiful fun trail! I turned to the Devil’s trail and that was also amazing route. Highly recommended to go.

View Ruriko's Recording
Gustavo Colmenares
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 17, 2020
HikingOver grownRockyScramble

Awesome trail, we took it counterclockwise, last 2 miles poorly marked and overgrown , trail crossed the creek at least twice. GPS was key