Beaver Creek Loop Trail

Beaver Creek Loop Trail is a 7.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Penrose, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

2020 feet

Awesome hike. As far as everyone commenting on the trail being hard to find at times, that is true. However I found it as a positive thing, I considered it a slight challenge. It also means there is less foot traffic thus less people in the area. Which is great imo!

I had a person with me that is out of shape and this hike was probably the hardest thing he has ever done. For me, I would put it as slightly above moderate intensity and I am average build. So you can use that to asses where you might be grouped.

Here's some advice. Go clockwise and you will have wet feet in the beginning of your hike. Counter clockwise and you'll save the wet feet for the last couple of miles. You will lose the trail multiple times when you are hiking along beaver creek. You will have to traverse this creek about a half dozen times. If you decide to start the trail counter clockwise (to the right at the the start of the loop) MAKE SURE TO TURN LEFT AT THE SIGN THAT SAYS POWER LINES. This is the top section of loop. Enjoy the area and PACK OUT WHAT YOU PACK IN. PLEASE!

Hiked here a couple times. Love the scenery and there usually aren't many other people out there. The trail does go all the way around, but the trail is not well maintained or marked. There's a spot where it seems like the trail just ends but if you scramble down the rocks to the creek it keeps going. Definitely a harder hike with some tricky spots and creek crossings where you will more than likely get your feet wet.

went in early feb 2017. the loop didnt go all the way around, I think the trail may have been washed out. I'm looking fwd to going again when there is foliage and the trail is repaired. it was peaceful and shaded in part. no creeks to cross this time of year. the trail is difficult to follow. consult the map n maybe take a gps.

We consider ourselves for ppl and this was a decent hike. The trails are not well marked, so we would get lost a lot and have to double back to find the trail. You do have to cross the river, bring a lot of water, and have your phone or GPS with you!

Be prepared for a 6 hour hike. Steep grades and creek crossings. We hiked the loop counter clockwise, saving the creek for the back end. I recommend GPS and good trail sense as you may loose you way a couple times because this trail is remote and not heavily traversed. Trout fishing is good on the creek right now (5-8inch browns and rainbows). There are large animals in the area and plenty of sign. I recommend being prepared to stay or back track out (worst case scenario). We lost the trail once we reached the creek (counter clockwise loop) but found a camp site where a couple of guys were having lunch. They directed us back on the trail, which was right there next to the camp... Overall this is a beautiful hike, but may be a bit scary to the inexperienced lol. Be prepared!

Beautiful hike. Rugged, and largely overgrown. Trail is single track and can be washed out in some areas. Views are breathtaking. Bring extra water (more than you think you need), wear hiking boots, and go when the water is lower (not after rains) as we had to cross a very swift Beaver Creek twice as my mountain-goat skills are not the best in scaling the cliff. :-) I recommend this hike for confident hikers who are well prepared.

Friday, June 17, 2016

I have been wanting to explore this area for a few years now. Saturday was the perfect time. At the trail head there was one other vehicle. I never saw the owners of the truck except for their camp site on the west side of Beaver creek about 100 meters South of the West and East Beaver Creek confluence. I hiked the trail loop clockwise with my first goal of getting to the West and East Beaver Creel junction to hang out and chill. The temperature was easily in the high 90s, in not the triple digits. A lot of sun exposure. Maps, GPS and general trail instinct is a must before venturing out on this hike. There is very little foot traffic and trails have become overgrown in some spots. Take plenty of water and drink even more. There are a lot of spots to refill (water filter or boil). Of special note, I have never seen so much poison ivy in Colorado. It was growing in an abundance in the the low, wet, shaded areas of the trail. Plenty of wildlife sign throughout the hike. I actually walked up on a male black bear on my way out in the narrow, heavily vegetated Trail Gulch portion of the loop trail. Great hike, I think it would be better to hike in the fall, winter and spring time frame.

Thursday, June 16, 2016

Saturday, April 23, 2016

Tuesday, September 29, 2015

This trail can be challenging depending on how far you plan to hike. The first part of the trail is well marked. Further in, the trail is not marked. There are numerous creek crossings, thick brush and large boulders to contend with. Falling rocks are also a hazard. Planning ahead is a must. There is no cell service. Anyone planning on hiking into this area needs to be aware that if they are injured it could take hours for help to arrive. This trail is not an ideal trail for a beginning hiker or for someone who is not in shape. If you choose to hike this trail, come prepared for a challenge. Plan on creek crossings, pushing through thick and thorny brush and climbing steep hills and boulders. Know your limits. This can be a fun experience if you're prepared.

Thursday, August 27, 2015

Do NOT believe that this is a well-marked trail. I just took it on August 23, and if not for a page my hiking mate save on her iPhone from anytrails, we would have had to totally backtrack out of this horrid trail. It is NOT well-marked at all. We lost our way three times, and we are both very experienced hikers. I am from Oregon and accustomed to well-marked trails, and this is the HIKE FROM HELL. It is not difficult hiking-wise, but it is very difficult to find the trail with only one sign to the Powerline cutoff. Also, the crossings are over a rushing creek that are up to your thighs. Once we got over there, we had no idea where to go. We just happened to see the continuation of the trail on the others side and had to wade back across the creek again. BEWARE!