Beaver Creek Loop Trail

Beaver Creek Loop Trail is a 7.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Penrose, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Wonderful Wilderness Close to Home The Beaver Creek Wilderness Study Area covers 40,000 acres of uninhabited, road-free wild country. According to the Central Colorado Wilderness Coalition, "bighorn sheep and elk find winter and summer range in Beaver Creek. Mule deer, black bear, mountain lion, beaver, golden and bald eagle, and ring-tailed cats and the threatened Mexican spotted owl and peregrine falcon utilize the area. Vegetation includes Douglas fir, Ponderosa pine, Limber pine, aspen, pinon-juniper woodlands, and wetlands streams." Beaver Creek is in the Pike National Forest, 13 miles northeast of Canon City and 10 miles southwest of Colorado Springs. Its boundaries are within El Paso, Fremont, and Teller Counties, and it lies on the south slope of Pikes Peak between Phantom Canyon Road and Hwy 115. The Beaver Creek Loop hike begins at the trailhead at the end of CR 132, but the loop itself starts about .75 miles from the trailhead. During this hike you'll experience creek bottom jungle, quadriceps burning ascents, breathtaking views of vertical splendor and evergreen carpets, and the magical sights and sounds of a rushing Rocky Mountain river. You will not be the first to make this trip because some of the trail was engineered during Gold Rush days. You will discover that this 7.3 mile trek is truly an "E-Ticket ride" that will make you want to get in line again and again. Go south on Hwy 115 out of Colorado Springs for 32 miles. Turn right at the Brush Hollow Reservoir turnoff onto Fremont County Road 123. Follow this road 5 miles to CR 132. Turn right and travel 11 miles to the parking area. CR 132 is a dirt road, graded every spring. Some of its is quite rutted, but I've seen all kinds of vehicles in the trailhead parking area. If you want a really FULL day, drive down Hwy 67 from Divide. This becomes Phantom Canyon Road (24 miles of Colorado beauty), which parallels Beaver Creek (but not within view). Turn east on CR 123 until you reach CR 132.

Beautiful area and really nice long hike, the creek was frozen in some areas, which made it easy to cross.

Most of the trail did not have tree cover, sunscreen recommended.

Had snow on the trail in some areas, about 2-3 inches.

Arrived at the trail-head around 11 am and parking lot had a few cars, but didn't see anyone on the trail.

A few primitive camping areas along the trail, tagged them with pictures with my recordings.

You don't need to cross the creek, however you will need to climb a rock in one area. The trail stays on the east-side of the creek.

AllTrails does not have a way to communicate with other outdoor enthusiast, I can be reached on Facebook Messenger if you have any questions about this trail.

Pretty hike and saw no one else the entire time. That said I went counter clockwise and had wished I went clockwise. I hiked this alone and once I crossed the west and east confluence of beaver creek I began losing confidence in my ability to cross the stream lower down 3 more times where it would likely get deeper.

I went with my gut and turned back as I was alone , and if I jogged back the way I came I might make it back to my car before dark. Didn't want to risk injuring myself in the stream crossings and didn't want to risk getting stranded in wet clothes

Crossed the creek 4x to make the loop. Ran into a hunter who said you could bypass the water if you turned left just before the collapsed metal structure going counterclockwise. Next time we will bring our teva's to speed up the crossings. Overall mileage was 12.0 from the parking lot, so I'm not sure where 7.5 miles comes from...

Saw a mountain lion and lost the trail going up out of the drainage

Gorgeous trail! I went counterclockwise. The river was very high and flowing pretty fast which made the river crossings difficult and quite scary. Trail is quite overgrown in a lot of places and had to backtrack a bit especially to find places to cross the river. Overall beautiful trail and very serene, I didn't see anyone until back to the trailhead.

It was a nice trail with a pretty decent climb. We went counter clockwise and when we hit the creek the water was too high and flowing too fast for us to cross. We had to turn back and go the way we came. Turned into a 9.5 mile hike.

Awesome hike. As far as everyone commenting on the trail being hard to find at times, that is true. However I found it as a positive thing, I considered it a slight challenge. It also means there is less foot traffic thus less people in the area. Which is great imo!

I had a person with me that is out of shape and this hike was probably the hardest thing he has ever done. For me, I would put it as slightly above moderate intensity and I am average build. So you can use that to asses where you might be grouped.

Here's some advice. Go clockwise and you will have wet feet in the beginning of your hike. Counter clockwise and you'll save the wet feet for the last couple of miles. You will lose the trail multiple times when you are hiking along beaver creek. You will have to traverse this creek about a half dozen times. If you decide to start the trail counter clockwise (to the right at the the start of the loop) MAKE SURE TO TURN LEFT AT THE SIGN THAT SAYS POWER LINES. This is the top section of loop. Enjoy the area and PACK OUT WHAT YOU PACK IN. PLEASE!

So..... the trail is the most poorly marked trail I have ever done. So we went on this trail and after 11 miles and 5 hours we finally completed it. We got off the trail numerous times without even realizing it, had to climb up rocks to get to a place to turn around, caught in a rock slide that put is approximately 700 feet down the side of the mountain. With this being said it is a beautiful area and we enjoyed the overall experience. But be well prepared to get lost off trail. Will probably due this again now that we know where the actual trail runs. lol.

This was an awesome hike- great views and light traffic. HOWEVER, the trails are not marked well and we ended up on the power line trail for a total of 12 miles over very rough terrain. We had not anticipated that much of a challenge.

Friday, March 10, 2017

Hiked here a couple times. Love the scenery and there usually aren't many other people out there. The trail does go all the way around, but the trail is not well maintained or marked. There's a spot where it seems like the trail just ends but if you scramble down the rocks to the creek it keeps going. Definitely a harder hike with some tricky spots and creek crossings where you will more than likely get your feet wet.

Monday, March 06, 2017

Good hike. Not much wildlife to been seen however.

Monday, February 06, 2017

went in early feb 2017. the loop didnt go all the way around, I think the trail may have been washed out. I'm looking fwd to going again when there is foliage and the trail is repaired. it was peaceful and shaded in part. no creeks to cross this time of year. the trail is difficult to follow. consult the map n maybe take a gps.

Sunday, August 28, 2016

We consider ourselves for ppl and this was a decent hike. The trails are not well marked, so we would get lost a lot and have to double back to find the trail. You do have to cross the river, bring a lot of water, and have your phone or GPS with you!

Friday, July 22, 2016

Be prepared for a 6 hour hike. Steep grades and creek crossings. We hiked the loop counter clockwise, saving the creek for the back end. I recommend GPS and good trail sense as you may loose you way a couple times because this trail is remote and not heavily traversed. Trout fishing is good on the creek right now (5-8inch browns and rainbows). There are large animals in the area and plenty of sign. I recommend being prepared to stay or back track out (worst case scenario). We lost the trail once we reached the creek (counter clockwise loop) but found a camp site where a couple of guys were having lunch. They directed us back on the trail, which was right there next to the camp... Overall this is a beautiful hike, but may be a bit scary to the inexperienced lol. Be prepared!

Monday, June 27, 2016

Beautiful hike. Rugged, and largely overgrown. Trail is single track and can be washed out in some areas. Views are breathtaking. Bring extra water (more than you think you need), wear hiking boots, and go when the water is lower (not after rains) as we had to cross a very swift Beaver Creek twice as my mountain-goat skills are not the best in scaling the cliff. :-) I recommend this hike for confident hikers who are well prepared.

Friday, June 17, 2016

I have been wanting to explore this area for a few years now. Saturday was the perfect time. At the trail head there was one other vehicle. I never saw the owners of the truck except for their camp site on the west side of Beaver creek about 100 meters South of the West and East Beaver Creek confluence. I hiked the trail loop clockwise with my first goal of getting to the West and East Beaver Creel junction to hang out and chill. The temperature was easily in the high 90s, in not the triple digits. A lot of sun exposure. Maps, GPS and general trail instinct is a must before venturing out on this hike. There is very little foot traffic and trails have become overgrown in some spots. Take plenty of water and drink even more. There are a lot of spots to refill (water filter or boil). Of special note, I have never seen so much poison ivy in Colorado. It was growing in an abundance in the the low, wet, shaded areas of the trail. Plenty of wildlife sign throughout the hike. I actually walked up on a male black bear on my way out in the narrow, heavily vegetated Trail Gulch portion of the loop trail. Great hike, I think it would be better to hike in the fall, winter and spring time frame.

Tuesday, September 29, 2015

This trail can be challenging depending on how far you plan to hike. The first part of the trail is well marked. Further in, the trail is not marked. There are numerous creek crossings, thick brush and large boulders to contend with. Falling rocks are also a hazard. Planning ahead is a must. There is no cell service. Anyone planning on hiking into this area needs to be aware that if they are injured it could take hours for help to arrive. This trail is not an ideal trail for a beginning hiker or for someone who is not in shape. If you choose to hike this trail, come prepared for a challenge. Plan on creek crossings, pushing through thick and thorny brush and climbing steep hills and boulders. Know your limits. This can be a fun experience if you're prepared.

Thursday, August 27, 2015

Do NOT believe that this is a well-marked trail. I just took it on August 23, and if not for a page my hiking mate save on her iPhone from anytrails, we would have had to totally backtrack out of this horrid trail. It is NOT well-marked at all. We lost our way three times, and we are both very experienced hikers. I am from Oregon and accustomed to well-marked trails, and this is the HIKE FROM HELL. It is not difficult hiking-wise, but it is very difficult to find the trail with only one sign to the Powerline cutoff. Also, the crossings are over a rushing creek that are up to your thighs. Once we got over there, we had no idea where to go. We just happened to see the continuation of the trail on the others side and had to wade back across the creek again. BEWARE!

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Best hike near Canon City...bring extra shoes for river crossings. Amazing hike. kept secret I know.

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

(Continued from prior review, which was truncated due to it's length):
Twenty-five hours after beginning the seven-mile loop at noon on a Saturday, the authors returned to the parking lot in the early afternoon Sunday.

As a result of the authors' experience, it is strongly suggested to hikers contemplating the completion of the seven-mile loop that they be well prepared for the possibility of having to retrace a large portion of the loop if stream flows on Beaver Creek make a creek crossing dangerous!

Monday, September 16, 2013

It's beautiful, but most the trail is poorly marked and there are multiple un-marked forks that caused us to back track often and waste time. Getting there was hard because cr132 doesn't connect to 115 as apple maps would have you believe and then it's 11 miles On dirt road to the trail head. The water was too high and we couldnt cross it to finish the loop. This trail sucked.

Monday, June 10, 2013

Very hard but well worth. The summit is breathtaking just be prepared with tons of water. Trail is marked well for about 1/2 the trail but not so well the other 1/2 so we constantly felt lost. Water shoes would have been nice for the creek. Great hike, beautiful sights and plan on doing it again.

Monday, August 20, 2012

I loved this place. The hike was beautiful. There is a sign that directs you to a creek. This is a very well kept place. I will be going again.

Sunday, June 24, 2012

This was a great hike, and a spot-on guide. When given the choice, we tended to veer toward the was very hot and dry. Hit 100 degrees at least. The creek was really wonderful and we just hiked along in it for a ways and didn't mind a few crossings either.

It's Sunday and we didn't see a single other person, just one truck at the trailhead. It was a bit smoky today because of the Waldo Canyon fire going on; this may have kept traffic down, but I suspect this is a quiet loop anyways. As we pulled into the parking lot at 8 a.m. we saw a fox; that was the only wildlife all day I think. Speaking of Waldo Canyon, this hike reminded me very much of the W.C. loop. Similar terrain, but Beaver Creek is a tad longer, perhaps steeper/hillier (can't remember), and the creek has more water and is easily accessible.

Today was very tough on our dog (who normally does great on hikes). I agree booties would have made a huge difference - the ground and rocks were so hot, and sometimes sharp. She loved the creek (despite not being a water dog), and we gave her plenty of water, but she did slow us down and we even carried her (45 lbs!) a few times. She is happy to be home now.

The hike took us about 5.5 hours with a lunch break, some creek time, and a sore-pawed dog. Would certainly recommend it, especially if you are familiar with and like the Waldo Canyon loop. Not the most amazing views, but a very diverse trail with water and the potential for wildlife. Wear sunscreen, wear a hat, and bring a lot of water. Give yourself plenty of time to enjoy the loop.