Beaver Creek Loop Trail

Beaver Creek Loop Trail is a 7.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Penrose, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

2020 feet

Saw a mountain lion and lost the trail going up out of the drainage

Gorgeous

Gorgeous trail! I went counterclockwise. The river was very high and flowing pretty fast which made the river crossings difficult and quite scary. Trail is quite overgrown in a lot of places and had to backtrack a bit especially to find places to cross the river. Overall beautiful trail and very serene, I didn't see anyone until back to the trailhead.

It was a nice trail with a pretty decent climb. We went counter clockwise and when we hit the creek the water was too high and flowing too fast for us to cross. We had to turn back and go the way we came. Turned into a 9.5 mile hike.

Awesome hike. As far as everyone commenting on the trail being hard to find at times, that is true. However I found it as a positive thing, I considered it a slight challenge. It also means there is less foot traffic thus less people in the area. Which is great imo!

I had a person with me that is out of shape and this hike was probably the hardest thing he has ever done. For me, I would put it as slightly above moderate intensity and I am average build. So you can use that to asses where you might be grouped.

Here's some advice. Go clockwise and you will have wet feet in the beginning of your hike. Counter clockwise and you'll save the wet feet for the last couple of miles. You will lose the trail multiple times when you are hiking along beaver creek. You will have to traverse this creek about a half dozen times. If you decide to start the trail counter clockwise (to the right at the the start of the loop) MAKE SURE TO TURN LEFT AT THE SIGN THAT SAYS POWER LINES. This is the top section of loop. Enjoy the area and PACK OUT WHAT YOU PACK IN. PLEASE!

Hiked here a couple times. Love the scenery and there usually aren't many other people out there. The trail does go all the way around, but the trail is not well maintained or marked. There's a spot where it seems like the trail just ends but if you scramble down the rocks to the creek it keeps going. Definitely a harder hike with some tricky spots and creek crossings where you will more than likely get your feet wet.

went in early feb 2017. the loop didnt go all the way around, I think the trail may have been washed out. I'm looking fwd to going again when there is foliage and the trail is repaired. it was peaceful and shaded in part. no creeks to cross this time of year. the trail is difficult to follow. consult the map n maybe take a gps.

We consider ourselves for ppl and this was a decent hike. The trails are not well marked, so we would get lost a lot and have to double back to find the trail. You do have to cross the river, bring a lot of water, and have your phone or GPS with you!

Tuesday, August 02, 2016

Friday, July 22, 2016

Be prepared for a 6 hour hike. Steep grades and creek crossings. We hiked the loop counter clockwise, saving the creek for the back end. I recommend GPS and good trail sense as you may loose you way a couple times because this trail is remote and not heavily traversed. Trout fishing is good on the creek right now (5-8inch browns and rainbows). There are large animals in the area and plenty of sign. I recommend being prepared to stay or back track out (worst case scenario). We lost the trail once we reached the creek (counter clockwise loop) but found a camp site where a couple of guys were having lunch. They directed us back on the trail, which was right there next to the camp... Overall this is a beautiful hike, but may be a bit scary to the inexperienced lol. Be prepared!