Beaver Brook Trail

Beaver Brook Trail is a 11.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Golden, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Beaver Brook trail starts in Golden and climbs up to around 7000 ft looking down onto Clear Creek as it moves through north forested slopes. After beautiful vistas it drops into Beaver Brook itself before climbing out to Chief Hosa. The trail on the west side drops down into Beaver Brook, then climbs back out to the top of a 7800' peak so there is a fair amount of climb on that side. The east side if you start at Windy Gap is fairly level although there are scramble and scree piles to climb over.

23 minutes ago

It’s a nice trail because it’s close to Denver and it really does have beautiful vista views. It’s extremely rocky and takes a lot of concentration. But we only did 6 miles.

Not the best trail I have been on but certainly not the worst. If you're looking for gorgeous views and/or some sort of a peak to work toward, seek another trail. For the workout and the workout alone, this trail earns four stars. Views, maybe a three at best. If you follow this path from Lookout, your last two miles are going to be pretty tough after the 9.5 before the finish as you begin with some rock scrambling and, likewise, end with it. While there are some great views, this should mostly be appreciated for its exercise challenge. Bring more water than needed and some snacks/food as well. You'll need it. Probably won't be doing this one again. Kind of boring.

Saw a rattlesnake on the trail! Didn't get too far, but it's a gorgeous trail, hope to do more soon. Definitely pretty rocky and some scrambling.

beautiful hike and views. some rock scrambling. not the best trail for running shoes, the rocks were a little intense on my feet, wear well cushioned runners or boots. start early too, we were afraid of running out of daylight so only did some of the trail.

The first couple miles starting at trailhead are rocky and you’ll have to scramble a little. Due to trails proximity to a main road, the first couple miles of the trail have moderate hiker traffic. Once you pass the overlook views in first couple miles of trail, there is little to no hiker traffic. Trail as a whole is difficult due to length, but the change in elevation isn’t that noticeable or hard. Once you arrive to loop, trail leads you to open field area with good views. Overall I recommend trail to anyone needing a good workout or trail run.

Loved it. Definitely need good shoes for this trail, lots of maneuvering/climbing around rocks. It was clear and beautiful the whole way.

Great for a hike so close to Denver. It can be very busy for the first mile or so but if you do the whole lollipop (which for us clocked in at 11.6 miles) you will have the trail to yourself for long stretches. Difficult because of length and some rocky terrain. Nice diversity of forest, meadow and some peak views. A couple of creek crossings which were nice for the dog on a hot day. No snow or ice at this time. Parking lot is small so try and get there early.

Little slushy for the first 1.5-2 miles but free and clear after that. Excellent views.

Beautiful, but long hike. Make sure you bring plenty of food and water. Trekking poles were also a life saver and highly recommended. We started at Chief hosa and went to lookout Mtn. Trail where we had a ride waiting for us. It’s 11 miles ONE WAY. The trail was slightly muddy in some spots, but not icy. There are some sketchy spots on the trail that leaves little room for error. It’s not a trail I would take little kids. I’ve done 15-20 mile trails before, but this one seemed more challenging to me for some reason. The views are gorgeous though.

An amazing views and I enjoyed the hike.. the hard about this hike is only the distance but it is fun to finish whole trail.

This one was a little more challenging than I had expected it to be, but it turned out to be super fun! Lots of icy spots still and there are also lots of areas where you are essentially just scrambling over rocks. The views are amazing though and worth the effort.

I've done Beaver Brook before but different trails and distance. It is always nice to challenge the rock climbing part of the hike. There were lots of icey spot still left and some spots are really muddy. Please do not wear sandals to this trail. It's not just dangerous but weird.. It was not something I expected to run into.

This is a perfect trail(s) for summer, lots of shades!

Hiked the full distance from Genesee Park to Lookout, then down Chimney Gulch.
A really unique trail for the front range: Great variety, mostly in the trees, amazing views for the second third of the hike looking down over clear creek canyon, and a pretty darn good workout.

Other than some icy patches in places (it's worse on the Lookout Mountain side), the hiking is pretty straightforward. After dropping down the Chavez Trail to the creek, the sign there is misleading: It says that during high water, the trail could be flooded, but I think the signmaker was misinformed and that information was meant for the loop-around to Beaver Brook back up to Genesee (these days, there are foot bridges over almost all water crossings, so the high water really isn't an issue anymore there). In any event, from that sign, the trail very quickly starts climbing straight out of the canyon...a pretty steep climb for a good 1/2 mile or more. Once things level out, that section is spectacular. The last third is deep in the trees with some quick scrambling in a couple of places (as others have mentioned).

Windy Saddle has 15 or so parking spots. I hiked full loop including small hike from Windy Saddle to Beaver Brook Trail Head Start (12 miles total) on 3/12/2018.
Ice in spots, and some mud and lots of walking on pine needles.
The first two miles have the best topography of a trail, with a small boulder field to climbing close to large rocks and small drop offs.
After that long winding trail until you get to the end and there can continue up to the top of the peak there. Great Views. I did not have spikes, but was glad to have hiking poles.

I hiked this trail 3/11/18. There are trail markers every half mile, I went to the 3 mile marker, which actually read 3.9 miles in on my Alltrails tracker. I wore my microspikes the whole way, it's patchy ice/dry but frequent enough ice I just left them on. This is a beautiful hike, only difficulty is parking, the lot is tiny so if you're meeting up with friends I would definitely carpool because it's very likely you won't both be able to park. The first mile has a boulder field and then navigating through some boulders, after that it's just walking a trail that meanders along the hillsides through sun and shade. At the end of the day going to the 3 mile marker and back tracked as 7.5 miles and took me almost 4 hours.

First mile was a bit icy but after that jus patches of ice. Most of the trail was manageable.

Good trail but really rugged. Wish people would clean up after their dogs along the trail.

Rewarding views and rugged terrain. Definitely will go back. Parking is limited.

Right next to lookout mountain, awesome place to hike. Parking can get limited

My favorite hike so far

Pretty busy (ie be prepared to squeeze around others on the narrow trails), but aside from all the people it's gorgeous! Challenging, but easy enough to be enjoyable, and a quick drive from Denver.

Awesome rocky start from last trail head off lookout mountain road. Some very nice views. Some steep elevation changes. Next time I'll start in Genessee.

We hiked this a couple days ago, starting by Lookout Mountain and going towards Genesee Park. The first several miles were fairly level, with a few areas of having to climb over rocks. However, the second half included some substantial uphill and downhill stretches, which were very tiring. We started off with a large meal in our bellies, and what we thought was a good supply of water and snacks, but we ran out halfway through, before we even got to the hardest part. We were famished and exhausted the last portion of the hike. It took us a lot longer to climb the last 1100' elevation, because we were out of gas and had to stop more often to catch our breath.

Many trail listings show this as an 8 mile hike, but our MapMyHike app on the phone showed 10.7 miles, and some other reviews report the same.

It's a beautiful hike. My recommendation is 1) Start from the Genesee Park side, and finish at Lookout Mountain Rd. This will have you going downhill overall, instead of up. Also, it puts all the major elevation changes in the first half of the walk, instead of at the end. Secondly, be prepared for a 10 mile hike over rugged terrain, and bring a lot of water, and some carbs to keep up your energy. Bring more than you expect to need.

Nice moderate hike. Enjoyable.

Friday, July 07, 2017

Went clockwise Beaver/Chavez

Thursday, July 06, 2017

Monday, June 26, 2017

It sucks the first 2 miles cause of all the people but after that you hardly see anyone.

Monday, June 12, 2017