Beaver Brook Trail

Beaver Brook Trail is a 11.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Golden, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Beaver Brook trail starts in Golden and climbs up to around 7000 ft looking down onto Clear Creek as it moves through north forested slopes. After beautiful vistas it drops into Beaver Brook itself before climbing out to Chief Hosa. The trail on the west side drops down into Beaver Brook, then climbs back out to the top of a 7800' peak so there is a fair amount of climb on that side. The east side if you start at Windy Gap is fairly level although there are scramble and scree piles to climb over.

Right next to lookout mountain, awesome place to hike. Parking can get limited

My favorite hike so far

Pretty busy (ie be prepared to squeeze around others on the narrow trails), but aside from all the people it's gorgeous! Challenging, but easy enough to be enjoyable, and a quick drive from Denver.

Awesome rocky start from last trail head off lookout mountain road. Some very nice views. Some steep elevation changes. Next time I'll start in Genessee.

We hiked this a couple days ago, starting by Lookout Mountain and going towards Genesee Park. The first several miles were fairly level, with a few areas of having to climb over rocks. However, the second half included some substantial uphill and downhill stretches, which were very tiring. We started off with a large meal in our bellies, and what we thought was a good supply of water and snacks, but we ran out halfway through, before we even got to the hardest part. We were famished and exhausted the last portion of the hike. It took us a lot longer to climb the last 1100' elevation, because we were out of gas and had to stop more often to catch our breath.

Many trail listings show this as an 8 mile hike, but our MapMyHike app on the phone showed 10.7 miles, and some other reviews report the same.

It's a beautiful hike. My recommendation is 1) Start from the Genesee Park side, and finish at Lookout Mountain Rd. This will have you going downhill overall, instead of up. Also, it puts all the major elevation changes in the first half of the walk, instead of at the end. Secondly, be prepared for a 10 mile hike over rugged terrain, and bring a lot of water, and some carbs to keep up your energy. Bring more than you expect to need.

Nice moderate hike. Enjoyable.

Went clockwise Beaver/Chavez

It sucks the first 2 miles cause of all the people but after that you hardly see anyone.

awesome

Loved the trail!! I appreciate the Beauty around me, & except how the trail is.❤️

Not too difficult but very long if you do the whole trail. Lots of great views!

I run this trail a few times a season. Great workout. Varied terrain from boulder fields and scrambling to wildflower filled meadows and lovely forested sections. You can add miles by climbing Chimney Gulch trail out of Golden. Can be crowded in the first couple of miles but after that not many users. Other reviewers complain about unleashed dogs but I haven't really encountered that although I have run into a couple of unleashed cows :-)

It is beautiful but hell it is a lot of scrambling across small boulders. And not great for dogs. They had a really hard time going over the rocks. And the trail is narrow. Hardly room for more than one person. Maybe come without dogs but meh

Long hike, views mediocre compared to other trails that require similar effort. There were only 2 lookout points with decent views. Best was at the end after approx 5 miles with 400-500 ft steep climb, see my recorded track. Plan to eat lunch there if doing out and back.
Trail has lot of up/ downs. If starting from Windy Saddle, right near the beginning within 1-1.5 miles you will encounter boulder field and some climbing over boulders. There wasn't much traffic going out very early in the morning, but coming back lot of peeps with dogs, and runners.
It was just ok trail imho, not worth the length or effort. There are other more spectacular 11 mile trails around.
Only exciting thing that happened on my hike was - a giant >6 ft. Bull snake slithered 4 ft. right in front of me from one side of the trail and crossed over to the other side. By the time I fished out my iPhone it was already climbing up the other side. It was super fast. I did not even see it until it was in front of me on the trail. If I had been 4-5 steps ahead, it would have slithered over my feet! It was pretty big and cool! See pic.

An awesome trail but too many unleashed dogs. It's irresponsible dog owners that end up ruining it for us responsible and law abiding dog owners. Use your head people before they make this yet one more "no dogs" trail

tough but finishes it.

Have done this trail for years. Both my kids always pick this trail because of the boulder fields and diverse terrain. Much better and less traveled on weekdays.