Beaver Brook and Chavez Trail Loop

MODERATE 1,478 reviews

Beaver Brook and Chavez Trail Loop is a 4.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Golden, Colorado that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

The trail has a nice mix of elevation gain and loss as well as creek for more than half of the loop. Its especially great during summer time, because you can hike or run and work up a nice sweat then dip in May of the pools along the trail.

1 hour ago

Nice hike, could see that it makes more sense to go counter clockwise and take the chavez trail to Beaver Brook instead of the other way. I took Beaver Brook first, gradual decline about 1.8 miles to get to the creek. Nice rocky incline on the way out via chavez trail. saw about a dozen people on a Monday with a slight chance of rain. Trail was clear, great for my dog!

Beautiful day and a great hike! Thought it would be super crowded from all the cars but actually had quite a bit of solitude and some friendly passing visitors. The trail can definitely be confusing, everyone else we talked with was checking in on the direction of trails or had made a wrong turn. Other than that, it was a wonderful trail!

My first time hiking this trail. It was beautiful and challenging. I'm a beginner hiker so I found some spots difficult to navigate. Plus the trail wasn't marked well in some spots. Overall it was a great walk with beautiful scenery. I'll definitely hike it again soon.

A great relaxing walk in the woods with enough incline to get the heart pumping. This trail has some diverse scenery: meadows, streams, woods, cliffs. Mostly dry with some mud.

Great hike close to Denver. You go downhill for the first half but the creek at the bottom was beautiful. Trail was clean and in good condition.

Went on a Sunday afternoon at about 11:30 AM. Parking was limited, trail was in good shape (kind of muddy), trek took about 2.5 hours. Was just challenging enough to make you feel like you really earned your beer(s) after.

was a good little hike, that uphill was killer but the views we're really lovely.

Went on a Sunday mid afternoon in April and wasn’t too busy. Took the loop clockwise to do the longer part downhill and the shorter/steeper part uphill and wasn’t bad at all. Mostly trekking through the peaceful forest until you get to a series of bridges over the stream at the bottom next to rocky slopes going up around you. Cool stuff but hear it gets crazy busy at times. Nice facilities at the trailhead. Right off 70 and next to bison herd spot. Pickle rick!!!!

Beautiful trail saturated in the deep forest, eventually joining a stream, with a few of great places to do some light bouldering to get a nice vantage of the stream and one of its many bridges crossing it.

I went between 4–6:30pm and there were very few people around. Saw a few great doggos being very good puppers—the mini Australian Shepherd was bashful.

Highly recommend if you're looking for a moderate-difficult afternoon stroll (coming from an unfit skinny guy

great trail! Please keep dogs on lease at all times

This was a fun, different hike than others we’ve done. It was nice to have a different perspective, walking along the creek and along the gulch. A few exposures but nothing that’s overly dangerous. Great to be among the trees and babbling brook. Will do again and bring a hammock so we can take in the peacefulness next time.

Beautiful and not very busy. Good workout!

Beautiful hike along Beaver Brook. Some decent elevation gain and a few rocky places, but nothing too challenging and really no ice/snow/mud on the trail when we went. We were glad to have the AllTrails maps and a spare phone battery, as we got off course a couple of times and could easily have added miles to our hike by mistake. For us, this ended up about a 6-mile, 3-hour hike that was both enjoyable and a good workout. Lots of people with their dogs; will bring ours next time!

Really easy to get to from Denver and roughly a 30 minute drive! It is easy to find with a fair amount of parking.

This is a nice trail with a little rock exposure that makes it interesting. The trail is 2.5 miles down 700 ft in elevation then 2.5 miles up. The trail is well marked and easy to follow.

We had a bit of snow last night and wore spikes, but not necessary. In the summer this is a great trail for running.

Did this hike today. Was not strenuous at all for the first 3 miles but the intensity kicks up a bit for the last 2 when you get to Chavez. Took me about 2 hours with some breaks to admire the river. Doesn't have great views and the trail is marked very poorly. Saw a couple groups including myself get lost. However, admission is free and it was a decent trail so I will be back.

Very fun trail. Muddy and icy in areas which adds to the total time. 2.5 hours was what we clocked. A few areas where you have to climb over rocks but nothing too strenuous. Total distance is more like 5.25 miles.

Fabulous afternoon hike with our two golden retrievers. Busier trial, but expected for a Sunday afternoon. Definitely would recommend this nice gem.

Really beautiful well kept trail, went at 4pm and only saw 6 other people the whole time. The trees and the creek were the highlight. You cross over the creek several times and are submerged in the pines for the majority. There are a couple lookouts but they didn’t amaze. No views of the snow caps. Took my 8 month old puppy and she loved it!

I thought this trail was the perfect amount for a morning solo hike. I would recommend getting there earlier as I got there at 9:30, and there was 6 or 7 cars in the parking lot. When I left at 11:30, the parking lot and side of the road was full. I completed the 5 mile loop
In about 2 hours, with 2 potty breaks (too much coffee before adventuring) and a 10 min break on this rock that overlooks the ravine and mountains.

Overall.. very nice way to kick off a Saturday. Happy hiking!

Hiked today. Went left into the loop as the right side is steeper and better for going up at the end than down.
~10% of the trail was icy and the ice was hidden in the mud/dirt but easily avoidable.
2.5 hours with a short snack break and a couple of water breaks.

Hiked this today 3/15. It was still extremely muddy and icy in some spots. Micro spikes weren’t necessary but there were a few spots around the 3/4 mark part of the trail that were kind of sketchy and slippery. Also my activity tracker said this loop was closer to 5.6 miles instead of the listed 4.8 here. If you go from
Beaver to Chavez it is mostly downhill the first 2 miles, then some ups and downs the next 1-2 with some steep, rocky sections and winding ledges with steep drop offs, the last section is a lot of uphill which is tough after being spent energy-wise on the first part. Overall I enjoyed this trail but feel it’s probably better in summer. I will wait until then to return.

PS I took my two small older (almost 10 yo) dogs on this trail and they loved it. Had no problems. I think they would love this in the summer when they can cool off in the little creeks!

Very nice hike:). We hiked this trail in mid March and experienced very comfortable weather. A lot of elevation change which was gradual and consistent.

Very nice trail with fair elevation changes. Trail was a bit muddy, but that’s to be expected this time of year. I would definitely recommend this trail to others

The path is extremely icey right now! I expected better scenery through the hike- I think this would be a much better hike for spring/summer.

My wife, and dog went yesterday. Lots of ice and snow on this trail, but it is only March. Was very slippery in spots. Did the whole trail in about 3.5 hours, but we were taking our time, stopped to eat, etc. Foot traffic wasn't too bad. Not a very scenic trail this time of year, but still very fun. Most of the creeks were frozen over.

Went yesterday. Pretty icy in spots and most of trail snow packed, but the sun was melting it quickly. Be careful if you go down Chavez as it is steep with much ice. I wore yak tracks and it was fine. Beautiful day hardly anyone else—on a Tuesday.

Current conditions: sections of ice and packed snow, but our group of 6 (youngest being 10) did it without spikes or snow shoes.

Fantastic hike down to Beaver Brook with an exciting climb back up

Bring micro spikes! Windy ledges but just be smart about it

2.10.18 - stunning scenery during light snowfall. traction advised for the next few days as the path gets really narrow with a steep drop off to one side. great gains and altitude peak of over 7100 ft.

Great workout and winding trail but not much of a view.