Beaver Brook and Chavez Trail Loop

MODERATE 1,940 reviews

Beaver Brook and Chavez Trail Loop is a 5.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Golden, Colorado that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

This moderate to difficult trail has a nice mix of elevation gain and loss as well as creek for more than half of the loop. Its especially great during summer time, because you can hike or run and work up a nice sweat then dip in May of the pools along the trail.

Nice trail with a variety of terrain. This trail may be considered hard for those who do not hike frequently... some narrow, rocky areas with over 1000 ft of elevation change. The river was a nice spot to stop for a rest half way through the hike.

A nice workout with a strong hill qt the end. - beautiful - the river was great for my dog too :)

good one with kids

Excellent summer hike. I don't know why this is rated as "hard". The trail is clearly marked, there's like one spot where you have to scale (or descend, depending on which way you go) a rock, and it's nothing even remotely dangerous or technical. I did this back in January and it was much more difficult due to ice and snow. Still a nice hike through the forest, saw a decent amount of people, most of whom were worried they lost the trail. Dogs should be just fine on this trail. Do your research before you hike, people!

decent mixed terrain, good if you're just looking for a place to get a workout. we didn't find this trail exceptionally challenging or attractive in the way of views, but had a pleasant stroll here. would have given 4 stars if there wasn't a good section of it by the road or if the views were more significant. enjoyable space down in the ravine though.

I love this hike. The first time I did it I was surprised by how difficult it was, as the last mile is relatively steep uphill, but it’s worth it for the beautiful river, wildflowers and abundant shade. I would not recommend bringing dogs on this hike as there are some rocky areas that are very difficult for them to climb over. If you go on a weekday it’s not very crowded and the trail is well marked. Highly recommend.

Glad they changed this from moderate because his was the hardest hike we have done in awhile! While it is beautiful there are parts that made me nervous about my dog with climbing rocks and such. It is super beautiful though I want to return once I get myself in better shape!

Great hike that was not as busy, even on the weekend. Had great shade and a good mix of wildflowers, forest, canyons, streams. I would highly recommend going counterclockwise. More of a gradual incline at the end as opposed to a more steep climb if you go clockwise.

Our first hike on our 2018 Colorado trip. Perfect start to the trip.

Mostly shady and beautiful. Streams for my dog to play in. Varied terrain going down, flat and up. One of my favs!

As mentioned several times below, you start downhill and end it going uphill making the last leg of it pretty annoying. Not many views but it is a fun great workout. Worth the hike.

Not super hard and not a whole lot to see. If you love destination hikes (as I do) this one isn’t for you! If you’re wanting a nice workout this would be a great trail.

Pretty nice overall. Parking lot was almost full by 8 so get there early. Zero issues navigating. It was a pretty moderate incline to finish the hike though.

You go downhill on the first half, no matter which way you go and uphill on the way back. Cool creek at the bottom with rocks, rocky path. I like to go uphill then downhill which you can’t do here. Clean and pretty, it was fun!

Awesome trail! River is beautiful and has a lot of beautiful views. This trail also has a lot of natural rock pools formed by the river. Lots of water. Maybe a bit more harder than moderate. I would totally start on beaver brook trail, if you start the other way, it will be more difficult with lots of challenging uphill.

This was a hard one with two dogs but otherwise really enjoyed the hike. I started about 7:30 and by the time I finished about 2 hours later the trail was packed!

Enjoyed this trail. Was with hikers that aren't used to the altitude and we spent about 4 hours doing it. Would recommend starting to the left, and also adding the walk down to the river on if you have time.

moderate hike. trails are skinny in parts making passing a little difficult. definitely wear shoes, some rock climbing involved. waterways a lot of the trail. the elevation change was a bit for me as I just moved here. the last two miles took me much longer than my initial pace. I started Chavez, I think next time I'll reverse it.

This is a cool hike but I didn’t like that it’s so close to the main road. But it’s nice for a quick day hike.

I think the best way to describe this hike is by calling it a “reverse hike” because you begin with a decent and finish with an ascent. There is no way around that. However to ease your ascent, I recommend going through the Beaver Brook trail first before Chavez. Other trail pointers include: 1) the trail becomes very narrow and might not look like a trail at all, 2)at one point on Beaver Brook, you have to scramble over big, but wide, rocks to cross the creek but you can see dirt indicating people have gone over it, 3)and if you are taking Beaver Brooke, go over the first bridge you see. The trail splits and you will want to follow the creek to get back to Chavez. A kid we met on the trail told us the opposite but he might have done the full Beaver Brook trail which we certainly were not about to do today. Other than that, it is a good hike for hot days because it is pretty well shaded. However you should still wear sun screen.

Not a bad hike, but a lot of work for limited views.

Solid hike but narrow walk ways and more incline than expected. Couple good views but nothing super wide open where you can see for miles

-JA

Beautiful trail. Don't let the elevation change noted here fool you, there are quite a few dips and hills throughout the path - it's actually fairly tough if you're out of practice (like myself!). We brought two dogs and even they were exhausted by the end. The path is marked well and easy to follow, and the few scramble spots are quick.

nice wide trail. first part has a fair amount of sidehill which can work the ankles, but evens out after the first half mile. way too many people and dogs, but nice enough if you get some space or go at off hours

Well worth the trip but this hike is no joke. I went in Beaver Brook and out Chavez (note before Chavez intersects with Beaver Brook you will have to choose left/right on Braille trail take either...they lead to the same place). My Apple Watch clocked 4.7 miles and 1,000 calories burned but I went pretty slow (2 hours 40 mins). The first 2-3 miles is downhill and then uphill on the way out. Be ready for your legs to burn! There is lots of shade on both sides of this loop which is great. On Chavez there are lots of easy rock scrambles where the trail runs into big formations. I was glad I had my hiking shoes instead of tennis shoes, they would have been too slippery. Also, a couple times I wondered if I had veered off the trail. Stick with your gut and you’ll find you are going the right direction and see clear trail shortly after you start wondering. Lots of cars in the parking lot (I had to overflow park coming at 9:30 am) but the trail was pretty empty most of the trek so you still got solitude. Lots of butterflies today which was fun. Definitely a moderate hike and you will feel it. Make sure to conserve some water for the uphill part on the way out. Lots of places to stop and sit and rest though which was needed (for me at least!).

We arrived about 7:30 to hike the Beaver Brook/Chavez trail this morning. At that time parking was fine, although pretty full when we left around 10:15. This is a very pretty trail with lots of trees, some shade, and running water. There are some low water crossings that have boards or bridges across them. It's mostly downhill on the way out, then mostly uphill on the way back. Quite a few hummingbirds in the area. There are permanent restroom facilities at the site. Relaxing and accessible hike I'd do again.

Hiked this trail at about 7pm last night(7/5). There was some harder parts in the middle where you have to be careful not to slip. I wore my tennis shoes and was ok but I would have benefitted from wearing my hiking boots. The trail started to get a little harder near the end when it was more uphill and I was tiring, but the views were beautiful and I enjoyed the hike. I was proud of myself for finishing because I am more of a beginning hiker.

one of my favorite near Denver hikes. can be busy at prime times but no bikes so not bad at all.

I have a Philosophy not to talk about good hikes or good vacation spots so I hope no one reads this. I love this hike. It combines beauty, solitude(if you do it the right time of the week) with a real nice workout. (about 2000 calories). Great mix of views, shade and sun...did I mention the workout. Yeah, if you keep pace there are a bunch of altitude gains and drops and you wont leave feeling like you did not earn it. add a couple miles by starting further into the beaver brook trail to extend your day!

In the shade, not too hard. a little portion that is steep. great hike.