Beaver Brook and Chavez Trail Loop

MODERATE 1,244 reviews

Beaver Brook and Chavez Trail Loop is a 4.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Golden, Colorado that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

ice climbing

The trail has a nice mix of elevation gain and loss as well as creek for more than half of the loop. Its especially great during summer time, because you can hike or run and work up a nice sweat then dip in May of the pools along the trail.

Nice hike close to Denver. Mostly an easy hike but there are areas where the trail is narrow with an occasional drop off. Decent amount of parking at trailhead with plenty of overflow along the dirt road leading to it.

Great hike, weather was excellent today !!

This was a really nice moderate hike. Something to note is how narrow the trail is pretty much throughout. In some spots there are drop offs that aren't necessarily concerning but definitely makes sense why dogs have to stay on leash. Just one misstep or a dog pushing through could be unfortunate. My group and I went the opposite way as everyone else (started to the right at the split). At first I found it sort of cumbersome stepping past people on the narrow trail the whole way, but then I thought about getting stuck behind people on a narrow trail the whole way and I was ok with it. If you want to go with the flow go left, against go right. Final note, the trail can be hard to follow at some points. Didn't take much for me to get off trail a little but easy to find it once I stopped and look around for a second. It's just not a superbly marked trail.

Enjoyed this hike but I thought it was harder than moderate only cause I had my dog. On a scale of 1-10 - hard being a 10 and moderate a 5, this was a 8. Total distance was just under 5 miles. I’m a long distance hiker. 12 miles is nothing for me but I brought my dog on this - he’s not a long distance breed - and some of the trails were narrow enough for just one and rocky - my dog while leashed the whole time I kept behind me - not enough room for both of us. A sharp drop off the ledge. Aside from that it was beautiful, peaceful, lovely in every way. I say harder than moderate only because of the sharp drop off and very rocky! For a single hiker without a dog on a leash moderate to easy indeed.

Great trail! Very minimal mud.

Nice hike! A bit poorly marked in spots. Also quite narrow along some high points. Not too busy on a Wednesday late morning, which makes it perfect for listening to the water. Lots of dogs off leash, though.

A wonderful way to close out a work day. Great scenery, perfect temp, and just the right amount of exercise.

Great loop. Note that they have reversed the names of the trails. The part of the loop on the east side is Braille/Chavez and the part on the north and west is Beaver Brook. Distance just over 5 miles. Took me 2 hours including about 15 minutes of breaks. Good workout coming up and the mile or so along Beaver Brook is very beautiful.

There are a few places that would be improved by a well-placed cairn, but overall this is a great hike. If you are looking for a little bit easier hike, do the loop counter-clockwise. Little bit of mud this time of year, but I have hiked it before and will hike it again! A perk of hiking this time of year is the trail was much less crowded than mid-summer months and still is just as lovely