Beaver Brook and Chavez Trail Loop

HARD 1,891 reviews

Beaver Brook and Chavez Trail Loop is a 5.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Golden, Colorado that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

The trail has a nice mix of elevation gain and loss as well as creek for more than half of the loop. Its especially great during summer time, because you can hike or run and work up a nice sweat then dip in May of the pools along the trail.

Not super hard and not a whole lot to see. If you love destination hikes (as I do) this one isn’t for you! If you’re wanting a nice workout this would be a great trail.

Pretty nice overall. Parking lot was almost full by 8 so get there early. Zero issues navigating. It was a pretty moderate incline to finish the hike though.

You go downhill on the first half, no matter which way you go and uphill on the way back. Cool creek at the bottom with rocks, rocky path. I like to go uphill then downhill which you can’t do here. Clean and pretty, it was fun!

Awesome trail! River is beautiful and has a lot of beautiful views. This trail also has a lot of natural rock pools formed by the river. Lots of water. Maybe a bit more harder than moderate. I would totally start on beaver brook trail, if you start the other way, it will be more difficult with lots of challenging uphill.

This was a hard one with two dogs but otherwise really enjoyed the hike. I started about 7:30 and by the time I finished about 2 hours later the trail was packed!

Enjoyed this trail. Was with hikers that aren't used to the altitude and we spent about 4 hours doing it. Would recommend starting to the left, and also adding the walk down to the river on if you have time.

moderate hike. trails are skinny in parts making passing a little difficult. definitely wear shoes, some rock climbing involved. waterways a lot of the trail. the elevation change was a bit for me as I just moved here. the last two miles took me much longer than my initial pace. I started Chavez, I think next time I'll reverse it.

This is a cool hike but I didn’t like that it’s so close to the main road. But it’s nice for a quick day hike.

I think the best way to describe this hike is by calling it a “reverse hike” because you begin with a decent and finish with an ascent. There is no way around that. However to ease your ascent, I recommend going through the Beaver Brook trail first before Chavez. Other trail pointers include: 1) the trail becomes very narrow and might not look like a trail at all, 2)at one point on Beaver Brook, you have to scramble over big, but wide, rocks to cross the creek but you can see dirt indicating people have gone over it, 3)and if you are taking Beaver Brooke, go over the first bridge you see. The trail splits and you will want to follow the creek to get back to Chavez. A kid we met on the trail told us the opposite but he might have done the full Beaver Brook trail which we certainly were not about to do today. Other than that, it is a good hike for hot days because it is pretty well shaded. However you should still wear sun screen.

Not a bad hike, but a lot of work for limited views.

Solid hike but narrow walk ways and more incline than expected. Couple good views but nothing super wide open where you can see for miles

-JA

Beautiful trail. Don't let the elevation change noted here fool you, there are quite a few dips and hills throughout the path - it's actually fairly tough if you're out of practice (like myself!). We brought two dogs and even they were exhausted by the end. The path is marked well and easy to follow, and the few scramble spots are quick.

nice wide trail. first part has a fair amount of sidehill which can work the ankles, but evens out after the first half mile. way too many people and dogs, but nice enough if you get some space or go at off hours

Well worth the trip but this hike is no joke. I went in Beaver Brook and out Chavez (note before Chavez intersects with Beaver Brook you will have to choose left/right on Braille trail take either...they lead to the same place). My Apple Watch clocked 4.7 miles and 1,000 calories burned but I went pretty slow (2 hours 40 mins). The first 2-3 miles is downhill and then uphill on the way out. Be ready for your legs to burn! There is lots of shade on both sides of this loop which is great. On Chavez there are lots of easy rock scrambles where the trail runs into big formations. I was glad I had my hiking shoes instead of tennis shoes, they would have been too slippery. Also, a couple times I wondered if I had veered off the trail. Stick with your gut and you’ll find you are going the right direction and see clear trail shortly after you start wondering. Lots of cars in the parking lot (I had to overflow park coming at 9:30 am) but the trail was pretty empty most of the trek so you still got solitude. Lots of butterflies today which was fun. Definitely a moderate hike and you will feel it. Make sure to conserve some water for the uphill part on the way out. Lots of places to stop and sit and rest though which was needed (for me at least!).

We arrived about 7:30 to hike the Beaver Brook/Chavez trail this morning. At that time parking was fine, although pretty full when we left around 10:15. This is a very pretty trail with lots of trees, some shade, and running water. There are some low water crossings that have boards or bridges across them. It's mostly downhill on the way out, then mostly uphill on the way back. Quite a few hummingbirds in the area. There are permanent restroom facilities at the site. Relaxing and accessible hike I'd do again.

Hiked this trail at about 7pm last night(7/5). There was some harder parts in the middle where you have to be careful not to slip. I wore my tennis shoes and was ok but I would have benefitted from wearing my hiking boots. The trail started to get a little harder near the end when it was more uphill and I was tiring, but the views were beautiful and I enjoyed the hike. I was proud of myself for finishing because I am more of a beginning hiker.

one of my favorite near Denver hikes. can be busy at prime times but no bikes so not bad at all.

I have a Philosophy not to talk about good hikes or good vacation spots so I hope no one reads this. I love this hike. It combines beauty, solitude(if you do it the right time of the week) with a real nice workout. (about 2000 calories). Great mix of views, shade and sun...did I mention the workout. Yeah, if you keep pace there are a bunch of altitude gains and drops and you wont leave feeling like you did not earn it. add a couple miles by starting further into the beaver brook trail to extend your day!

In the shade, not too hard. a little portion that is steep. great hike.

Trial gets pretty rocky on Chavez. Lots of dogs.

Great!

Nice trail with a reasonable challenge in parts that’s close to town. Trail mostly tree covered and good for a later in the day hike.

Not too steep, good mix of terrain. Can just wear sneakers. Took a little under two hours.

Awesome hike close to the city

AWESOME! This trail is well worth the work.

So beautiful and lots of different terrain. The mostly covered trail made it possible on a hot summers day.

This was a really easy loop with a steady incline/decline. While there are no breathtaking views, the valley is rich with wildlife and flora, a small stream and fragrant air. It’s very peaceful. Great for brining a dog. Recommended!

Agree with earlier reviews that trail is not marked well. Could easily end up doing the 8 mile hike by accident. Would not recommend the higher rockier part of hike for children or if you are afraid of heights! The trail is at an angled slant most of the 5 Miles.

Made for a great morning hike. Definitely better to start on Beaver Brook and finish on Chavez, since Chavez is rockier. The water was low enough that all the crossings were easy.

Good for dogs, lots of water. Starts down hill, stay on brooks for less rocks on decent and come up chaves which is rockier.