Beaver Brook and Chavez Trail Loop is a 5.1 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Golden, Colorado that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

This trail has a nice mix of elevation gain and loss as well as creek for more than half of the loop. Its especially great during summer time, because you can hike or run and work up a nice sweat then dip in May of the pools along the trail.

While there is nothing spectacular about this trail it was a good one to do during a decent snow. The trail was still fairly easy to follow even though no on had been on it since the snow. Keep in mind that no matter which direction you go, you end the hike going up. This hike is mostly through forest and follows the stream in many areas. I would not recommend this one for little kids. There are a few spots with steep drop offs from the trail. With easy access to Denver, this is a good hike if you want to get out in the woods and need something close.

Did this hike 11/10 and it was a pretty quiet trail. I enjoyed the hike but the one negative was that there aren’t many good views of the mountains. It was still nice to get out and be by the water which was frozen over in some parts. Overall I recommend doing this trail for sure

Great 5 mile lollipop trail, clearly marked. There were some nice creek crossings for the dogs to play in. I’ll definitely be back!

This hike was good to get out and move. Not a lot of sights to see and really only one or 2 that are worth the hike. But there is nothing big to see really at any point. Mostly through the forest, which is nice, but there are a lot better hikes in Colorado. It is nice to be by the water most of the hike and hear that. I was one of maybe 2 people on the trail without a dog. Great trail for dogs as it is not too steep and mostly gradual up and down. No dangerous spots for them either.

I took Chavez to Beaver Brook. Overall this was a very enjoyable hike. Tons of forest, good inclines and declines. Most of the trail runs along the brook which is so incredibly soothing to listen to. There are parts that are very narrow where you are walking on rocks along a narrow and steep edge, but I thought that was super fun. I went on Monday and it was very quiet. Passed a few hikers, but was mostly alone. It was very relaxing and I will definitely do this hike again. 10/10 recommend!

Beautiful hike!!

beautiful moderately strenuous trail. went on Sat. not too crowded

Taxing uphill and downhill, steep trail! About a mile in, ya really start to feel it in your knees haha. Awesome challenge and an amazing lower body workout! :)

Beautiful hike, follows a creek most of the way which is nice. We went Chavez to beaver brook, challenging at some spots with a lot of up hill, especially towards the end. Some cool spots you can climb up to get good mountain views. Went on a Saturday (10/20) and it was pretty busy but not horrible

Beautiful forested hike with moderate elevation gain. Easy access off I-70. Nice features and scenery including several small stream crossings, tilted metamorphic rock outcrops, and a nice mix of aspens and evergreens. Always a good hike, very tranquil.

Beautiful hike! Not many high-peaks in view, but at least 8 or 9 stream crossings! Love the varied terrain and well-marked trail. We went CCW and enjoyed the rocks/scrambles. This would be gorgeous in September with the changing of the leaves as there were quite a few aspen trees. Great parking lot with many spaces and pit toilets. I can see that this trail would be great year-round.

Not keen with going down hill first, nice a shady for sunny day hikes.

Excellent mild hike. Good for groups of differing levels and capabilities. Parking was crowded on a Sunday afternoon.

Great views. Brought my 13, 11 & 6 year old. A bit long for them but they made it. Beautiful hike

Went in for a hike on Thursday 10/18. Trail was nearly empty and in great condition. For being such a quick drive from Denver, it’s hard to beat. I would recommend going down Chavez right away otherwise you go uphill at the end

Lovely hike close to Denver. Did it counterclockwise in 3 hours (a moderate pace for the first half and slow for the latter half). Parking was easy at 9a on Saturday and there were a nice number of people— enough to not feel alone if something happened, but not busy. Very peaceful.

Gorgeous Trail. Took us a bit longer than what some other people described about 3.5 hours, but we stopped a decent amount to enjoy the peace of nature. We went during a weekday and only passed 5-6 other hikers the entire time. I think we did the trail backwards as all the signs are to for doing beaver brook then Chavez but we did Chavez first. I would suggest doing Beaverbrook first as Chavez had a lot of scrambling rocks which would have been more enjoyable going up.

You get a little bit of everything with this hike!!! Did this with our energetic pup and we all loved it! Went counterclockwise like some of the reviews suggested and although the last stretch is uphill, I think it was the right move. Highly recommend!

Loved this! Did it 09/29/18. Some steep parts, teensy bit of scrambling (super easy, but maybe difficult for little ones). Did the loop in 2 hours, stopping to take pictures at some scenic sites. Also, did the loop backwards which we enjoyed, just means a steeper ascent at the end.

Pretty hike. Did it 9/27/18. 5 mile loop with mostly shade from all the trees. Took me about 2 hours total but I was walking at a good pace almost the whole time. Several water crossings where the trail runs along the creek but you don't have to get wet if you use the bridges or rocks. I took my 6 year old 30lbs mini Aussie and he loved it. The trail is good the entire way and easy to follow, but some sections have about a 1-2ft wide trail with steep drop-offs to one side. I wouldn't take my dog if he wasn't good on a leash because if he pulls or gets crazy you could fall 20+ feet. Several sections of trail are rocky (smaller rocks you can mostly step right up, a few larger rocky areas where you may actually use your hands but nothing too crazy), but something to keep in mind if you are expecting a flat dirt trail the whole time.

Lovely hike. I’ve done it clockwise and counterclockwise and I think I prefer counter clockwise because it’s a little rockier in Chavez and it’s better to do that earlier on rather than when I’m tired, especially with a little one in my back.

Started hiking this around 1:30pm and the trail was almost all in the shade. Not the easiest hike but I’d do it again with some hiking poles.

Love this hike. It’s so close to town, and it’s a lot of fun. It’s not easy and definitely not the best for old dogs or little kids, but it’s fun to get a little more extreme with ledges and scrambles. **if you hike it in the winter, bring spikes! Without them the trail isn’t fun or safe.

awesome trail. along ariver for most of it. great in winter too!

This was the first hike I’ve done in Colorado. Wanted to do something easier as I am trying to get used to the elevation. I personally loved the trail. Very shady, several places to stop and climb some rocks for some great views. We took it counterclockwise and went downhill most of the time which was nice. Well maintained and easy to find trail. The bottom is awesome as the trail goes right next to a little creek in which you can see some fish. Took us about 3 hours due to several stops and lunch. Traffic on the trail was not too bad. I’d recommend this trail.

beautiful hike. once your at the bottom it's nice and cool following the stream for a while.. I would rate as hard, but able to do it with my baby in my pack. glad we took the advice of others and did clockwise, down the brook trail and up Chavez.. nice challenging hike

A great hike just a drive out of the city and the trail is defiantly moderate or more. There are rocky terrain along the Chavez trail and so I appreciated someone’s tip about taking the trail up rather than down the sliding rock terrains. Thank you and hopefully others will do so too. Enjoy!

20 small water crossings on the trail loop.

I started hiking around 2 PM and the trail was almost completely in the shade. Loved that I could stop pretty much anywhere along the way to get wet.

Gorgeous scenery on this hike and so close!! We hiked early on a Sunday, before the Bronco game, and it was not busy at all! You get a little of everything on this hike. Shaded forest, river crossings, narrow cliff paths, sunny hot patches with cactus all in one hike.