Beaver Brook and Chavez Trail Loop is a 5.1 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Golden, Colorado that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

This trail has a nice mix of elevation gain and loss as well as creek for more than half of the loop. Its especially great during summer time, because you can hike or run and work up a nice sweat then dip in May of the pools along the trail.

Went in for a hike on Thursday 10/18. Trail was nearly empty and in great condition. For being such a quick drive from Denver, it’s hard to beat. I would recommend going down Chavez right away otherwise you go uphill at the end

Lovely hike close to Denver. Did it counterclockwise in 3 hours (a moderate pace for the first half and slow for the latter half). Parking was easy at 9a on Saturday and there were a nice number of people— enough to not feel alone if something happened, but not busy. Very peaceful.

Gorgeous Trail. Took us a bit longer than what some other people described about 3.5 hours, but we stopped a decent amount to enjoy the peace of nature. We went during a weekday and only passed 5-6 other hikers the entire time. I think we did the trail backwards as all the signs are to for doing beaver brook then Chavez but we did Chavez first. I would suggest doing Beaverbrook first as Chavez had a lot of scrambling rocks which would have been more enjoyable going up.

You get a little bit of everything with this hike!!! Did this with our energetic pup and we all loved it! Went counterclockwise like some of the reviews suggested and although the last stretch is uphill, I think it was the right move. Highly recommend!

Loved this! Did it 09/29/18. Some steep parts, teensy bit of scrambling (super easy, but maybe difficult for little ones). Did the loop in 2 hours, stopping to take pictures at some scenic sites. Also, did the loop backwards which we enjoyed, just means a steeper ascent at the end.

Pretty hike. Did it 9/27/18. 5 mile loop with mostly shade from all the trees. Took me about 2 hours total but I was walking at a good pace almost the whole time. Several water crossings where the trail runs along the creek but you don't have to get wet if you use the bridges or rocks. I took my 6 year old 30lbs mini Aussie and he loved it. The trail is good the entire way and easy to follow, but some sections have about a 1-2ft wide trail with steep drop-offs to one side. I wouldn't take my dog if he wasn't good on a leash because if he pulls or gets crazy you could fall 20+ feet. Several sections of trail are rocky (smaller rocks you can mostly step right up, a few larger rocky areas where you may actually use your hands but nothing too crazy), but something to keep in mind if you are expecting a flat dirt trail the whole time.

Lovely hike. I’ve done it clockwise and counterclockwise and I think I prefer counter clockwise because it’s a little rockier in Chavez and it’s better to do that earlier on rather than when I’m tired, especially with a little one in my back.

Started hiking this around 1:30pm and the trail was almost all in the shade. Not the easiest hike but I’d do it again with some hiking poles.

Love this hike. It’s so close to town, and it’s a lot of fun. It’s not easy and definitely not the best for old dogs or little kids, but it’s fun to get a little more extreme with ledges and scrambles. **if you hike it in the winter, bring spikes! Without them the trail isn’t fun or safe.

awesome trail. along ariver for most of it. great in winter too!

This was the first hike I’ve done in Colorado. Wanted to do something easier as I am trying to get used to the elevation. I personally loved the trail. Very shady, several places to stop and climb some rocks for some great views. We took it counterclockwise and went downhill most of the time which was nice. Well maintained and easy to find trail. The bottom is awesome as the trail goes right next to a little creek in which you can see some fish. Took us about 3 hours due to several stops and lunch. Traffic on the trail was not too bad. I’d recommend this trail.

beautiful hike. once your at the bottom it's nice and cool following the stream for a while.. I would rate as hard, but able to do it with my baby in my pack. glad we took the advice of others and did clockwise, down the brook trail and up Chavez.. nice challenging hike

A great hike just a drive out of the city and the trail is defiantly moderate or more. There are rocky terrain along the Chavez trail and so I appreciated someone’s tip about taking the trail up rather than down the sliding rock terrains. Thank you and hopefully others will do so too. Enjoy!

20 small water crossings on the trail loop.

I started hiking around 2 PM and the trail was almost completely in the shade. Loved that I could stop pretty much anywhere along the way to get wet.

Gorgeous scenery on this hike and so close!! We hiked early on a Sunday, before the Bronco game, and it was not busy at all! You get a little of everything on this hike. Shaded forest, river crossings, narrow cliff paths, sunny hot patches with cactus all in one hike.

I hiked this trail alone on a day when it was not highly trafficked. It was gorgeous and very rewarding with a lovely creek running through the bottom of the valley. Beware coming with kids, the Chavez Trail side has cliffs and steep parts, and I dropped my phone off of one of the cliffs and had to venture down to get it. Overall very rewarding trail system and would love to try the longer version of the trail.

I would usually give this hike three stars because I don’t enjoy the Chavez trail. Today I took Beaver Brook to the bottom, spent time by the water with my pup, then went back the way I came. Still good incline and much more pleasant. If you’re like me and don’t enjoy boulder scrambling I recommend hiking the trail the way I did. I can’t wait to go on this trail next spring and early summer when there’s more water. Still totally worth it though!

A well maintained trail that’ll get your heart pumping. I would highly suggestion taking the loop CLOCKWISE! This way you can climb out on the rocks rather than having to scale down them. The trails are marked differently than what’s listed. Go to the LEFT at the T, save the Chavez trail for the way out! You do have to climb over some rocks so may not be suitable for some kids.

absolutely amazing trail for a short and sweet workout. good techy so\pots to keep you on your toes. highly recommend for a morning jaunt.

My husband and I took our labradoodle and two kids (son 10, daughter 8) on the 5.1 mile loop. We started on the Beaver Brook side and looped around to the Chavez side and back. I can see why those with kids could feel a little apprehensive. There are sections that are fairly steep and slippery that you need to scramble through; however, if you take it slow, you should be fine. Overall, we thought it was fun and full of adventure! Lots of opportunities to kick off your shoes and wade in the various pools of water. Great 5 mile loop! Bring water and food to keep your body fueled. We'll definitely be hiking Beaver Brook again soon! :-)

Outstanding views and great for dogs! There are some steep cliffs but still very dog friendly.

My 7yr old wanted to do this trail again, he is all about the water. Not much left but still a great trail. I suggest early spring for this one if you're after water...great areas to break for lunch and just hang for a bit.

Very pretty but hard. Saw a lot of people with dogs but I would be nervous to bring my dogs because of the trail being so close to cliffs.

Great ups and downs as a loop, love hearing the running water as you cross over several times. Good shade. Close to home, so easy morning 1/2 day hike.

The brook was pretty with lots of shade along the trail. No mountain views. Good early season hike

This trail is great for a half day hike, however the water is pretty low this time of year. Plenty of shade but moderately difficult hike with some rocky terrain by the stream.

Did this hike a few days ago with my husband. It was moderately challenging with narrow trails and steep drop offs. We found it unique and beautiful with craggy outcroppings and lots of shade/foliage. I wouldn’t take anyone under the age of ten on this hike as it is long, physically demanding, and dangerous.

My boyfriend & I’s first time doing this trail. We hike pretty often and it was tough. Beautiful hike I also will add.

My dog and I thoroughly enjoyed this trail. We went clockwise and had no difficulties. We will be back!