Chavez and Beaver Brook Trail Loop

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(5563)
Genesee Park

Chavez and Beaver Brook Trail Loop is a 5.1 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Kittredge, Colorado that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, nature trips, and ice climbing and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.1 miles Elevation Gain: 1,105 feet Route Type: Loop

NOTE: This trail is experiencing full or partial closure (the trail itself, parking lot and bathrooms) due to COVID-19 and access is restricted once the parking lot is full. This trail features a nice mix of elevation change as well as a creek for more than half of the loop. It's especially great during summer time, as you can take a swim along the way.

13 minutes ago

Totally surprised! Charming trail, plenty of places to sit and ponder. There Friday afternoon and though parking fairly full, very few people on the trail

6/5/2020 A nice evening hike. Got nervous with the trail only being downhill for so long, thinking about the way up. But it was a good work out. Winding trail through dirt and rocks made for a good mental workout too, and the creek was a pleasant white noise. Took about two hours starting on the Beaver Brook trail and coming back on Chavez.

I've been hiking this trail for 25 years and noticed a big change yesterday. They've added rocks, rubble and redirected some of the trail. Maybe so bikes can't go there? Very challenging now. Was disappointed.

Great trail and close to denver, some parts are pretty narrow & rocky. There were a lot of cars in parking lot & side of road but don’t see a lot of ppl on the trail. Most of the trail was shaded.

One of my favorite hikes outside Denver. Got there at 7:30 was pretty empty. Packed by the time I was done at 10 with cars on the side of road. Wildflowers are beautiful right now.

Great loop between Denver and (closer to) Evergreen. Good spot to trail run because you can walk the stream near the middle. Significant elevation changes and some shear drops. You can only hear the highway for the first few minutes. Sighted a dear herd near the trailhead this evening.

I would highly recommend this trail right now. The wild flowers are absolutely beautiful. The trail was tree covered and shaded for the most part but you do get some sunny spots. There is a challenging incline/decline and I found hiking poles to be helpful. There is a portion of the original trail closed but it does not change much of the hike, as a new path has been created.

One lame thing about this trail is you can hear the traffic on I-70 for most of the hike. The bottom of the canyon was awesome but the rest of the hike was average. I think this trail gets such a high rating because it's proximity to Denver. There are much better trails around Colorado.

This was one of my first hikes and I loved it. My dog also loved that there was water around and lots of shade to cool off. It is quite long but plenty of spots to take a break and relax a little. There are a few rocks you need to climb but that’s always fun. Everyone around was super nice and respectful of distance. Overall loved this hike and highly recommend.

WE FOUND SOMEONES PHONE! it’s some sort of galaxy with clear case with blue trim on phone. Call if this is your phone we would love to return it to you! Great hike! Amazing views with lots of water! Can’t wait to do that again sometime! Took me a little over three hours and stopped for lunch. Would absolutely recommend.

So perfect!!!!

Hiked here yesterday morning. Started at 7am there was a good amount of parking still. Left around 9am and the lot was full and there were cones blocking the road to the parking lot to stop more people from coming. The hike itself was beautiful fully shaded and by a creek most of the way. Really great hike for dogs plenty of water and shade. Had a lovely time!

I really enjoyed this trail! It’s easy to get to (close to I70), but for most of the hike you feel like you’re in the backcountry far away from urbanization. Everything was so green and beautiful, I had moments where I felt I was somewhere completely different which was amazing. For a more technical report, the trail was pretty well taken care of. It’s by a river for a lot of It, has some amazing rocks and has moderate up and down inclines with flat parts to keep It all balanced. The trail was easy to follow and not super busy in the later afternoon with some sprinkling rain. Great place to check out!

The parking lot was closed with a Ranger directing cars away. We ended up parking across the highway and walked back (this added an extra .5 mile). The hike was very shaded and we loved all the streams along the way. Lots of other people and dogs.

I completed this trail on 5/30/2020 with my two year old border collie. We pretty much power walked the entire thing with the exception of a couple stops for photos. It is a beautiful trail, plenty of shade, and a variety of views including many streams and rivers. I started hiking around 1:30pm and had to park in an area about a mile from the actual trailhead. To avoid this, be sure to arrive early in the morning. The trail was fairly crowded but not to the point that it was unenjoyable. The trail is also 6 miles long, not 5.1 per the app. Overall I think this trail has something for everyone to enjoy. You can make a day of it and bring your lunch too! I would wear hiking boots if you have them as there are a few rocky patches!

Perfect time of year for this trail! Plenty of shade with a nice brook that the dog enjoyed.

Not difficult but more than moderate. I highly suggest not doing this trail if you have children who will want to be carried and/or who are afraid of heights. There are some narrow, steep parts that could potentially be dangerous if you are carrying a little person. I would also not do this trail if you have any mobility issues. I used to really enjoy this trail. Now there are way too many people. And it is terrible for the coronavirus because trail is narrow and difficult to pass people period let along give a wide berth.

Great trail. Parts are quite difficult but the cliffs, creek and water are worth it.

Great trail but busy! Lots of shade and tall trees and people with dogs. A fun stream at the bottom with four small wooden bridges. Steep up, down.