Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Beartracks Lake Trail

Beartracks Lake Trail is a 11.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Evergreen, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, fishing, horses, and backpacking and is best used from June until December. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This popular trail climbs the ridge between Truesdell Creek and Beartracks Creek to Lower Beartrack Lake. Expect to encounter many other hikers on summer weekends. From the Camp Rock Campground, the trail travels along a Bear Creek for about a mile. On crossing the creek, it climbs through the 485 acre Beartracks Fire (1998). Leaving the burn, it continues up the ridge, briefly joins the Cub Creek trail, then turns SW and crosses Beartracks Creek to the lake. Open June 15- December 31

I've done the hike twice with my wife with full packs and gear, so it's very doable if you are in hiking shape. There are 4 lakes at the end of the trek. The lower lake where we camped was full of fish. Side note: If you look at the lakes on a map, they look like bear tracks.

If you prepare (mentally +/or physically) for the difficulty of the mileage + elevation gain, this is an incredible route. I did this as an overnight solo backpacking trip (I’d estimate my pack to have been about 40lbs — I overpacked as a “just in case” for it being a solo trip) + it was one of my favorite trips to date. I went up Beartracks Trail & down Beaver Meadows Trail, which made for a strenuous 5.5ish mile day up 2,500ft & an admittedly painful 6.5ish mile day back down 2,500ft. My feet hated me by the end, but it was 110% worth it! There weren’t a ton of people past the first/last 1.5-2 miles of the loop, which made for a very nice + reflective hike. If you can swing it, you HAVE to stop by Beartracks Lake. Honestly, this is what truly makes the trail + the mileage worth it. I spent the night here, and it was incredible. There were two other groups, but I didn’t feel crowded there in the slightest. We saw 4-5 moose along the shoreline, the view of the stars after sundown was breathtaking, and the lake itself is absolutely beautiful. 10/10, would recommend this route (when it opens again — it’s closed for hunting after Labor Day). Do it as an aggressive day hike, or take your time + stay a night or two. As long as you’re prepared for a hurting body, you’ll be fine. It’s worth it, without a doubt. You WON’T regret it.

Drove up from TX two days before this hike with my dog. Got to the trailhead midday on a Sunday and made it to the lake early evening. Had the lake to ourselves and had a wonderful night, a bit cold since you camp at over 11,000ft. Took our time in the morning and made it back to camp around 12. Saw 1 person the entire hike, but when we first got there Sunday afternoon the parking lot was packed. Weekdays are definitely the time to go! The first day's elevation gain was intense but doable (even coming from sea level). Beautiful hike with a variety of views. The second day we pretty much descended the whole time so it was pretty easy. Awesome, laid back weekend hike with plenty of available water!

This is a great hike if you can take the mileage. I clocked this at 11.1 and that is not doing the loop on Beaver Meadows. Beautiful hike with nice views throughout and an awesome lake at the end. Steady climb most of the way with only a few steep spots. While some of the hike is through gorgeous alpine forest much of the hike is still very exposed so be prepared for sun or rain. Great views of Mount Evans in spots and you can see the road up to the top. Even with the parking lot pretty full we hardly saw any other hikers and we had the lake all to ourselves.

trail is not easy by any means but easier than your average 14er (just to give a comparison idea on the steepness). it's mostly uphill the whole way but does drop off a bit here and there for a break. be warned, to get to the campsite is almost an extra mile so the route round trip is more like 12 miles instead of 10. camping by the lake is phenomenal but be sure to bring bug spray! also keep in mind that the camping area is almost at 1200 feet so it is colder up there than expected. Our second day we had some beautiful fog and saw a moose! I was carrying about 35 lb. and others in my group were carrying about 50 lb. and we made the trip in a little under 5 hours. with a bit of preparation and knowledge of the difficulty, it is a great hike!

Nice hike/run/equestrian trail with a variety of moderate work (some stiff elevation gain in the sun) with a variety of terrain, vegetation, and water features. Between the beetle kill and blow down, forest looks stressed. Friends of Mountain Evan and Lost Creek Wilderness are working hard to ensure all trails are open without having to scramble over downed trees. Long drive in, but close enough for a fine day hike in the Denver Metro region. Plenty of elk in this area if your timing is good. Recommend an early start as parking is limited.

We saw two Bull Moose while running this! Great high elevation and uphill training run! Beautiful meadows and lots of flowers! Only downside is lots of dead trees everywhere from the old burn areas and blowdown areas. Other than that, it was great!

Did this today - it was fun but tough (I’m an avid hunter, fisherman and backpacker) - this is a challenging hike. And FYI as others have stated this is about 12 miles if you go to the lake. The loop is 10 miles plus about a mile in and out from the lake back to the loop = 12 miles. The lower (southern side of loop) is much more challenging in my opinion than the Beaver Meadows trail. This is not a day hike in my opinion and certainly not young kid/family friendly. Plan for an overnight or two and enjoy this lake...it’s gorgeous!

Monday, December 11, 2017

I'm sure this trail would've been beautiful, the area was amazing but I didn't even make it to the trailhead. This area is only open to hunting/fishing after Labor Day so the road was gated 4.3 miles from the trail head. This area is also totally closed from Jan 1 to June 14th.

Monday, August 07, 2017

I think it needs to be clear. This is not an easy trip. One way is straight up hill. Did this on my 1st over night Trip with a 30lbs pack. Definitely was not the best decision. To lake is 7 and some change miles. Lots of people on trail. And lake was super busy. Not to many places to camp. Lake is super small. More like a pond. Was super nice and great place. Plenty on water option once at lake. But no options for water after you leave the parking lot. Be prepared.

Monday, July 31, 2017

A few times the trail was hard to find but overall nice! Only saw a few other people the whole time so it was peaceful

Monday, July 31, 2017

Beautiful and great views. Since the microburst a couple years ago, the Forrest is a mess with thousands of downed trees that make it impossible to hike around the north end of the lake, as well as marring the view in many places along Beartracks. Minimal places for camping but an absolutely gorgeous view from the lake. Overall a great hike

Saturday, July 22, 2017

I clocked this at 12.5 mi including the lake. It took me about 5 hours. The 2,700 ft elevation change gave me a nice workout and I do hike every weekend. Directions through the app took me straight to the trailhead. Lots of diversity along the trail with the views and the terrain. A lot of wildlife poop too! Never did see anything though. Oh, and bring your bug spray for this one, although it wasn't too bad. Definitely enjoyed this one!

Monday, July 17, 2017

Two separate GPS trackers marked the whole trail loop plus up to the lake at just over 15 miles. The whole trail took about 7 hours. Longer than I expected based on the 10 miles reported by the All Trails app. Absolutely gorgeous wildflowers and creek/waterfall view on the longer leg of the loop. The lake at the top was a great place for a lunch break. There were no major ascend/descend spots that felt like a climb.

Monday, July 10, 2017

Really great hike- definitely can be a bit of an arduous first leg in summer heat but a great workout and awesome views! The change in environment as the hike progresses made it feel like 3 hikes in one.

Monday, June 19, 2017

I would put this on the more strenuous side of moderate. It's a steady climb about five miles to the first, biggest lake. We took Beartrack Trail up and Beaver Meadow back. If you do this its more like 12 miles. Great hike through forest, meadow, remnants of a fire and a tornado. Lots of diverse landscapes. Be prepared for the weather as much of the trail is exposed. Great lake at the end and some good spots to stop and have lunch. Some stream along the way and a couple of nice waterfalls to cool off your feet. Not too bust the day we were here. Perhaps the 7-8 miles of dirt road to the trail head keep some people away.

Monday, June 19, 2017

Quiet, beautiful, and diverse. Many down trees, but nothing prohibitive. I'd recommend doing the Cub Creek trail up if you want to avoid heavy sun exposure. The meadow is gorgeous, there are so many wildflowers and mushrooms to be found, and surprise waterfalls. There's nothing too strenuous, but I think if you're coming down Cub Creek, poles can help with some loose rock.

Saturday, June 17, 2017

In good shape as it opens for the summer, a favorite of mine, feeling much like Chicago Lakes (on the other side of 103 and also part of the Mt. Evans wilderness) but less traveled and the ascent is more gradual.

Sunday, May 21, 2017

Closed to all human activity from January 1 - June 15...according to the sign blocking the road. Seems like it should be a nice trail, so I gave it 3 stars, but I guess I won't find out for 3 weeks.

Sunday, April 30, 2017

A nice trail, varied terrain, lots of Wild flowers, a gorgeous high mt. meadow, rock out croppings, remnants of 2 large wild fires - including a burned down ranger station, lakes for fishing, mossy rocks & creeks & recently the site of a micro-burst! What's not to like?

Sunday, October 02, 2016

This trail is closed for anything except hunting and fishing from Labor Day to mid-November. Will try again at Thanksgiving or next summer.

Tuesday, September 20, 2016

I would love to be able to actually rate this trail, but I was almost to the trail when a Ranger stopped me and let me know that it is not to be used for hiking... at least not until November. Tough luck!

Monday, August 15, 2016

Great trail. Simple enough, distance and altitude create the challenge. Had issue with trail matching US Forest Service map on Cub Creek Trail above Beaver Meadow/Resthouse Meadows Trail. Map shows Resthouse intersect above Beaver Meadows on Bear Creek. Cub Creek trail crosses Bear Creek at two log bridge near falls, pool and campsites then Y's lower down, left for Resthouse and straight for Beaver Meadows. Recorded total distance of loop at over 13 miles.

Friday, July 29, 2016

There are some easier parts but then there are some pretty difficult up-up-up parts. The views are gorgeous and the wildflowers are amazing. The drive to the parking lot is a little longer than most and is mostly dirt, but the forest dept. has laid down new gravel to fill in a lot of the holes and cover a lot of the bigger rocks. Over all, I will most likely be back this trail area to knock out some more!

Sunday, July 24, 2016

Very nice trail in Mt. Evans Wilderness. Challenging, mostly due to the distance and very peaceful, even on a mid-summer weekend. The dirt road access is in surprisingly good condition and is easily passable by passenger car. I hiked the trail on Saturday 7/23/2016 and only came across a handful of other hikers. The trail is straightforward, though one should pay attention at the Cub Creek trail crossing near the top of the trail. The trail is fully clear of blown down trees that have plagued the upper stretch in recent years and the larger, lower Beartrack lake is easily accessible. I did not attempt the small upper lake. NOTE: The full trail out & back is nearly a mile longer than what is stated above.

Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Found the TH! However at mile 4.8-5 the trail ends & you can NOT get to the lake. It appears that the trail at that point will not be cleared out. If you are willing to hike in the wilderness, beware of mosquitoes & flys, go to mile 3.8-4 there is a beautiful view were u can rest. If you go further its pretty much a waste of time bc within another mile you have to turn around:/. The views are beautiful throughout:)

Friday, June 17, 2016

It was a little difficult to find. We had to backtrack a few times to find the trail. So worth the view though! Breathtaking!

Friday, June 10, 2016

Terrible directions, never found it!!

Friday, August 21, 2015

Review & pics under Beaver Meadows trail. Did the whole loop.

Monday, August 10, 2015

Depending on your definition of impassable, the trail to the lake is doable. A considerably difficult maneuver with a 40 pound pack, but not impossible. If you're able-bodied and willing to climb over/under 250+ down trees, it's well worth it.