Bear Peak Canyon Loop Trail

Bear Peak Canyon Loop Trail is a 8.1 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Boulder, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Along a lonely canyon to a ridge leading to a peak This hike starts at the NCAR parking lot. Head west to the Mesa trail then south. At the Bear Peak canyon trail junction head west. This canyon takes you to the bear peak west ridge trail leading to the peak. After a break, head north down fern canyon trail until it curves and reaches the mesa trail, then continue back to the start of your venture.

That was the most insane hike I have ever done. The Bear Canyon side is much more beautiful than the Fern side, but it is a longer hike to the peak. Coming down the Fern side, I could tell I wouldn't have made it--it is so much steeper, but shorter. Well worth the effort to get to the peak. Make sure you have enough water and food to keep you hydrated and energized.

This trail was SO much harder than I thought it would be but so worth the challenge (I've been hiking out here all summer-it's by far the hardest one we've done). We went from 11:30-5:30 and took minimal breaks along the way. The hike gets so much steeper than any of the other trails I've done this summer, and has a super interesting view of a burned down forest.

We went up the bear canyon side and went down the fern canyon because we wanted to save time by not doing just bear canyon up and back. If you are not a fan of insanely steep declines (which is super rough on the knees) I'd recommend going up and back via the bear canyon path.

Great trail. A heck of a climb when you go up Fern Canyon, but worth it for the beautiful downhlll along Bear Canyon.

It is definitely harder than I had anticipated, but worth it.