Bear Creek Trail

Bear Creek Trail is a 13 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Ouray, Colorado that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October.

Directions from Ouray: Take Hwy 550 two miles south. Trail parking is on the east side of US 550 immediately south of the tunnel.

Beautiful!

Always a stunning hike! Started at 8AM and went up the steep shale covered portion of the trail in shade (which makes it much more enjoyable) and turned around at Yellow Jacket Mine. We were back in the parking lot a little before 2PM, with a few stops along the way for photos, snacks, and to catch our breath.
Heads up: A portion of the trail was washed out above Grizzly Bear Mine (see photo) and it required some careful scrambling as the footing was very loose gravel and fell with about a 10ft drop into Bear Creek below. There were a few creek crossing after this but they didn't require getting wet.

We really enjoyed this hike. The views are breath taking and pictures really don't do justice.

I loved what I did of this trail. I didn't do the whole 13 miles. I went to Grizzly Bear Mine and back to the trailhead is all. It was beautiful!

Tough trail. Not for the faint hearted. Be prepared to go straight up over some very loose rocks but once you make it passed that point it is 100% worth it. The canyon is the best part by far

Sunday, August 21, 2016

A GREAT trail, however, I would give it a slightly higher rating than moderate. It is steep at the beginning but there are also other REALLY steep, consistent bouts. I feel I'm in good shape, have been here in the mountains for a month and still found it pretty challenging.

Saturday, August 06, 2016

strenuous but worth it.

Thursday, August 04, 2016

Very good trail. It's my favorite trail around.

Thursday, August 04, 2016

One of my favorite hikes in the area! Would definitely recommend it. There are steep drop offs so dogs are probably not the best idea, but if they are well behaved don't worry. If you can, do it early so you can see the sunrise in Ridgeway. Invade it to Grizzly in about an hour.

Wednesday, July 27, 2016

As others have said, the beginning is tough. Lots of up, and very narrow trails. The views to be had are worth the effort. There are some parts where I found myself saying "Don't look down. Don't look down". Very exciting hike.

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Very fun hike. We only went to Grizzly Bear mine but enjoyed it thoroughly! A tiny bit steep but so enjoyable it makes the heavy breathing worth it! Amazing views.

Saturday, May 14, 2016

Monday, August 10, 2015

Hiked to Grizzly Bear mine August 2015 and quiet enjoyed it! The reviews had me curious to see how steep and narrow this trail was, but it wasn't too terrible. If you're afraid of heights, get vertigo easily, or in not great shape, this is NOT the trail for you. The beginning is killer - the shale can be slippery and it's steep - but the views are gorgeous and it levels out for a while after about a mile. We made it up to Grizzly Bear in about 2 hours with a few stops for water and a snack, back down to the parking lot in another hour for a 3 hour adventure.