Barr Lake Trail

Barr Lake Trail is a 8.9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Brighton, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

paddle sports

$7 Parking Fee for the day.

Really easy trail with lots of opportunities to see amazing birds. Not much shade and the lake Ayer is pretty low.

Easy flat trail. Spotted a few eagles and other wildlife. Not crowded and an enjoyable ride.

There are dogs allowed for half the trail but must be on a 6 foot leash. No retractable.

long walk,

easy place for a 9 mile walk along the flat surface of the trail that circles the lake. In the winter there are a lot of bald eagles. Dogs are only allowed on the the north side of the lake and not in the preserve on the south. For pics and more info visit https://etbtravelphotography.com/2018/06/04/hikes-near-denver-barr-lake-state-park/

Fee to get in as is a state park. Some shaded areas lots of birds and wild life as well as playground and camping , picnic, fishing etc.

long flat 9 mile walk around Barr Lake. cool scenery. horses, cows, birds, deer, and fish.

About two thirds of this hike is not too exciting; parts runs close to the highway and along train tracks. I had two trains pass me about 20 feet off the side of the trail. One third of the hike has nice views. It was very peaceful and I only saw two other people within the last mile of the hike.

Awesome birding here. We once saw more than 20 bald eagles in one morning. The RR tracks and interstate are a distraction but this is definitely worth hiking.

Variety of birds is wonderful!! Pretty uneventful loop around the lake. 9 miles is a commitment and the other side of the lake passes railroad tracks/highway/houses so I'd probably just walk a few miles in either direction next time. Both directions are great - left takes you to observation decks, right to the dam.

Nice easy walk around Barr Lake to see the pelicans and other water birds. Can walk along the raised area looking down on the lake which is a cool view.

Monday, June 26, 2017

Easy flat trail that is adequately maintained . Low traffic , easy to get to. 1/2 the trail is not very scenic but for the region it was above average.

Wednesday, May 17, 2017

I love this trail. Be sure the trail is dry before going out, but the lake and wildlife are worth the trip, especially on the Wildlife Reserve portion. My track showed it just under 9 miles and easy. You do need a park pass, and puncture resistant tires are recommended. Mine have liners...no incidents. I show mountain biking because it's the closest activity, but I have a crossover and have no issue on the packed trail...I've seen road bikes out there too but I wonder about their maintenance bill if they do it too often. Saw a herd of 7 deer, hissing geese with babies (I tread carefully, but they still warn at nesting time), birds of every kind both flying and floating. Nice and relaxing.

Monday, April 24, 2017

I love this trail!! If your lucky, you will see deer. There are a ton of birds. I use this trail as my workout area. I go a few times a week. You can make it a quick walk or a much longer walk. It's beautiful and well maintained. Dogs aren't welcome in the nature preserve area, which is the best side of the lake. Ive walked the entire lake, the only problem is places to use the restroom, watch your water intake. I highly recommend this trail.

Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Easy trail to get a good warmup for the season. I do not recommend bringing your dogs though due to the trail being sharp gravel. Tough on their feet.

Sunday, February 26, 2017

Saw multiple Bald Eagles soaring on this trail

Wednesday, February 15, 2017

This is an easy stroll with beautiful views of wildlife. I run it on occasion. Relaxing.

Saturday, February 04, 2017

around the lake

Thursday, September 01, 2016

A great state park for fishing and boating. The trails are decent, but there are only a few that I would consider for hiking. Fantastic for bird watching.

Saturday, August 20, 2016

Good winer riding major drawback are the trains. One area next to the tracks and the other side drops directly down over boulders into the lake. IF caught by the train you are SO done for. Other areas somewhat more distance but about 3-4 miles fairly close to the frequent trains so beware can be overwhelming for horses. Shooting season below dam. Yikes. They shoot even if no geese just to see the horses freak out. Call ahead to check hunting scheduled days. Waterfowl can explode off the lake spooking horses. Lake is beautiful home to bald eagles deer (mule and white tails) migrating birds. People are friendly.

Saturday, August 20, 2016

A 10-mile journey for bikes with flat terrain. There is a section that is very close to operating trains, but we have not seen them during our several treks. Deer, cranes, and other wildlife are common visitors on this trail. It's an easy hike or bike around the loop, and dogs will enjoy it too.

Monday, July 04, 2016

Started at 6am, From the Nature trail going counter clockwise. Got to the 2.5 mile marker the trail was flooded out with no visible way thru. No signs at the trailhead to tell you the trail was impassable. A lot of bird life, also saw mule deer. This is a nature trail not a hiking trail

Sunday, July 03, 2016

cool birds. 16 ft of trail was covered in 6" or so of water.

Wednesday, June 01, 2016

It is a very long walk with very little shade.

Monday, May 30, 2016

This is not a hike. It is a long walk around a lake. I saw 11 dead fish floating in the lake. There is not much shade and it feels very much like walking down a driveway to a farm. The birds were cool though.

Friday, May 13, 2016

I hiked the first 2.5 miles and back in May/2016 (I ran out of time). There are beautiful bridge trails built over the lake giving you access to great bird, fish, and wildlife watching. Trail is easy, flat, graveled, and mile marked every .5 miles. I entered the state park off Picadilly Rd (FYI, the park entrance is hard to spot if coming south on Pacadilly) and parked my car which did cost $7 for the day. Dogs are not allowed on the lake trail...fyi. I met a bird watching enthusiast who geeked-out for his love for this area. You can spot a bald eagle if lucky and geeselings walked the sides of the trails. I also ran across 100's of carp spawning in a shallow, reed filled lake outlet. It was an iconic hike before catching a flight home. Yes, this hike is 15min from the DEN airport and a great way to spend time vs sitting in the airport bar. Enjoy!

Thursday, April 14, 2016

Great morning jogging area. perfect for kids too.

Monday, January 04, 2016

Great winter hike with loops we did 10+ miles. A little snowy on the East side.

Tuesday, July 14, 2015

The trail here is so well-designed, and it really helps enthusiasts feel the clean mountain air. The loop takes a lot of endurance to pave through, but it's worth it. I also found a great review of it at this site, http://www.stateparksreview.com/colorado-state-parks/barr-lake-state-park/. What a pleasure!

Sunday, March 01, 2015

Great Trail!! There is a lot of snow on the trail, but NO ICE. We had no problems hiking in regular hiking boots. There are markers every half mile or so. I was happy to see a sign at the end of the trail that said that we hiked the equivalent of Mt. Yale which is 14,200 feet. Of course the trail is flat , but that makes it an excellent training trail for the higher elevated trails to be conquered over the summer. Eventhough we couldn't fine a 9.2 mile marker, 2 friendly rangers confirmed this distance. Hope to come back someday.