Barr Lake Trail

Barr Lake Trail is a 9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Brighton, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

canoeing

$7 Parking Fee for the day.

I love this trail!! If your lucky, you will see deer. There are a ton of birds. I use this trail as my workout area. I go a few times a week. You can make it a quick walk or a much longer walk. It's beautiful and well maintained. Dogs aren't welcome in the nature preserve area, which is the best side of the lake. Ive walked the entire lake, the only problem is places to use the restroom, watch your water intake. I highly recommend this trail.

Easy trail to get a good warmup for the season. I do not recommend bringing your dogs though due to the trail being sharp gravel. Tough on their feet.

Saw multiple Bald Eagles soaring on this trail

This is an easy stroll with beautiful views of wildlife. I run it on occasion. Relaxing.

around the lake

A great state park for fishing and boating. The trails are decent, but there are only a few that I would consider for hiking. Fantastic for bird watching.

Good winer riding major drawback are the trains. One area next to the tracks and the other side drops directly down over boulders into the lake. IF caught by the train you are SO done for. Other areas somewhat more distance but about 3-4 miles fairly close to the frequent trains so beware can be overwhelming for horses. Shooting season below dam. Yikes. They shoot even if no geese just to see the horses freak out. Call ahead to check hunting scheduled days. Waterfowl can explode off the lake spooking horses. Lake is beautiful home to bald eagles deer (mule and white tails) migrating birds. People are friendly.

A 10-mile journey for bikes with flat terrain. There is a section that is very close to operating trains, but we have not seen them during our several treks. Deer, cranes, and other wildlife are common visitors on this trail. It's an easy hike or bike around the loop, and dogs will enjoy it too.

Started at 6am, From the Nature trail going counter clockwise. Got to the 2.5 mile marker the trail was flooded out with no visible way thru. No signs at the trailhead to tell you the trail was impassable. A lot of bird life, also saw mule deer. This is a nature trail not a hiking trail

cool birds. 16 ft of trail was covered in 6" or so of water.

It is a very long walk with very little shade.

This is not a hike. It is a long walk around a lake. I saw 11 dead fish floating in the lake. There is not much shade and it feels very much like walking down a driveway to a farm. The birds were cool though.

I hiked the first 2.5 miles and back in May/2016 (I ran out of time). There are beautiful bridge trails built over the lake giving you access to great bird, fish, and wildlife watching. Trail is easy, flat, graveled, and mile marked every .5 miles. I entered the state park off Picadilly Rd (FYI, the park entrance is hard to spot if coming south on Pacadilly) and parked my car which did cost $7 for the day. Dogs are not allowed on the lake trail...fyi. I met a bird watching enthusiast who geeked-out for his love for this area. You can spot a bald eagle if lucky and geeselings walked the sides of the trails. I also ran across 100's of carp spawning in a shallow, reed filled lake outlet. It was an iconic hike before catching a flight home. Yes, this hike is 15min from the DEN airport and a great way to spend time vs sitting in the airport bar. Enjoy!