Barr Lake Trail

Barr Lake Trail is a 9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Brighton, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

canoeing

$7 Parking Fee for the day.

Easy flat trail that is adequately maintained . Low traffic , easy to get to. 1/2 the trail is not very scenic but for the region it was above average.

I love this trail. Be sure the trail is dry before going out, but the lake and wildlife are worth the trip, especially on the Wildlife Reserve portion. My track showed it just under 9 miles and easy. You do need a park pass, and puncture resistant tires are recommended. Mine have liners...no incidents. I show mountain biking because it's the closest activity, but I have a crossover and have no issue on the packed trail...I've seen road bikes out there too but I wonder about their maintenance bill if they do it too often. Saw a herd of 7 deer, hissing geese with babies (I tread carefully, but they still warn at nesting time), birds of every kind both flying and floating. Nice and relaxing.

I love this trail!! If your lucky, you will see deer. There are a ton of birds. I use this trail as my workout area. I go a few times a week. You can make it a quick walk or a much longer walk. It's beautiful and well maintained. Dogs aren't welcome in the nature preserve area, which is the best side of the lake. Ive walked the entire lake, the only problem is places to use the restroom, watch your water intake. I highly recommend this trail.

Easy trail to get a good warmup for the season. I do not recommend bringing your dogs though due to the trail being sharp gravel. Tough on their feet.

Saw multiple Bald Eagles soaring on this trail

This is an easy stroll with beautiful views of wildlife. I run it on occasion. Relaxing.

around the lake

A great state park for fishing and boating. The trails are decent, but there are only a few that I would consider for hiking. Fantastic for bird watching.

Good winer riding major drawback are the trains. One area next to the tracks and the other side drops directly down over boulders into the lake. IF caught by the train you are SO done for. Other areas somewhat more distance but about 3-4 miles fairly close to the frequent trains so beware can be overwhelming for horses. Shooting season below dam. Yikes. They shoot even if no geese just to see the horses freak out. Call ahead to check hunting scheduled days. Waterfowl can explode off the lake spooking horses. Lake is beautiful home to bald eagles deer (mule and white tails) migrating birds. People are friendly.

A 10-mile journey for bikes with flat terrain. There is a section that is very close to operating trains, but we have not seen them during our several treks. Deer, cranes, and other wildlife are common visitors on this trail. It's an easy hike or bike around the loop, and dogs will enjoy it too.

Wednesday, August 03, 2016