Bard Creek Trail

Bard Creek Trail is a 14 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Georgetown, Colorado that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, nature trips, and backpacking and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Point to Point

Directions from Idaho Springs: Take exit 232 off of I-70 and go into Empire. Turn south onto Rd. 251 (Empire Pass Road). Follow Rd 252 for 2 miles and then park. Beyond this point the road deteriorates and requires a four-wheel drive vehicle.

We started on the Herman Gulch side of the trail, going up towards Bard Creek on the Watrous Gulch Trail. I started the GPS tracker about a mile and 1,000 ft elevation gain in. Because we started at this end of the trail, the elevation gain was pretty consistent. This trail is difficult and very secluded, so I would highly recommend going with someone. Though the trail was difficult, it was beautiful, full of views, and very rewarding. There are multiple creeks along the trail for fresh mountain spring water (we used a water filter to fill up water bottles multiple times). Gorgeous in the fall with the aspens and ground plants changing colors. We were close to a bull moose at 13,000 feet, a hawk, what we think was a peregrine falcon, marmots, and a black bear, which was all more reason to bring a friend. Be prepared with bear spray, water and food. It took us about 6 and a half hours to complete the trail, but maybe starting on the Empire side would have been easier elevation wise. Parts of the trail are indistinguishable other than for the pink trail markers, but it is gorgeous, rolling over ridges and through valleys, with new, beautiful scenery around every turn. Most rewarding hike I have ever been on, and I would very much recommend it to hikers that are prepared for distance and elevation gain.

off road driving
Sunday, May 07, 2017

This one is my favorite! I've been coming since high school. little obstacles, not packed (hopefully it stays that way).

Saturday, June 28, 2014

Had to park about 3.5 miles short of the trailhead, as CR 252 was very much 4WD only. The walk up the jeep road was interesting in its own right, with some rustic properties and mines to ogle, as well as aspen trees and the creek to enjoy. The Bard Creek trail started out an easy walk through deep pine forest, often near to the stream with occasional meadows and aspen groves. Nearing the top of the valley, it then ascends steeply to the right on a trail that needs little more definition and clearing in places. Beautiful views, with Bard Peak beckoning ahead. I stopped at a cascading creek, however, as there wasn't an easy crossing to be had with the high runoff (and an avalanche snowfield to contend with on the other side). This was about 3 miles from the trailhead.

Thursday, September 25, 2014