Photos of Bard Creek Trail

Point to Point

We started on the Herman Gulch side of the trail, going up towards Bard Creek on the Watrous Gulch Trail. I started the GPS tracker about a mile and 1,000 ft elevation gain in. Because we started at this end of the trail, the elevation gain was pretty consistent. This trail is difficult and very secluded, so I would highly recommend going with someone. Though the trail was difficult, it was beautiful, full of views, and very rewarding. There are multiple creeks along the trail for fresh mountain spring water (we used a water filter to fill up water bottles multiple times). Gorgeous in the fall with the aspens and ground plants changing colors. We were close to a bull moose at 13,000 feet, a hawk, what we think was a peregrine falcon, marmots, and a black bear, which was all more reason to bring a friend. Be prepared with bear spray, water and food. It took us about 6 and a half hours to complete the trail, but maybe starting on the Empire side would have been easier elevation wise. Parts of the trail are indistinguishable other than for the pink trail markers, but it is gorgeous, rolling over ridges and through valleys, with new, beautiful scenery around every turn. Most rewarding hike I have ever been on, and I would very much recommend it to hikers that are prepared for distance and elevation gain.