Bald Mountain Trail

Bald Mountain Trail is a 8.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Breckenridge, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

off road driving

Please note this trail is a 4x4 vehicle road. Hikers, bikers, and cars share the road.

My wife and I loved this trail. It is a very moderate climb until you pass the mill. We only made it to the top of the tree line because there were 50-70 mph wind gusts. We were satisfied with our progress for being Michiganders coming from a low elevation and attempting it the third day in Colorado. Plans are to come back in the summer!

This listing does NOT show the route to the top of Bald Mt. This stops at 13,000ft, by a gated area. There's still. whole mountain to climb after that -- and it is SO worth it if you can stomach several false summits.

We were caught off guard by how much longer the hike ended up (10.5 round trip, 3200 gain) and how much harder. The scramble is exhilarating and a great test of your agility (trust no rock!). We saw a mountain goat around the gate.

6/3/2018 This was a great hike. Really scenic views of all of Breckenridge. The incline was steady and not too difficult if you’re acclimated; however, the last half mile to the summit is pretty steep. The summit is completely capped in snow still. I was able to hike it with poles and micro-spikes but it did seem a little sketch, especially on the return as the sun was warming it up. With poles and spikes you can also take a more direct path up going a bit off trail. This hike ends at 13000ft, and took me about 2.5 hours up and 1.5 hours down. Only downside to this hike was that the whole trail is a 4x4 vehicle road. Not as nice of a trail as others around Breckenridge but the overall hike is still amazing!

Hiked yesterday. Snow pack made it pretty easy to hike in regular winter boots most of the way to the top. After the Mill, there were some spots to my ankles. A few post holes but pretty nice condition. Some cross country skiers were out, plenty of coverage for them on the lower part, still some twigs and stumps further up towards tree line, but some skiers braved the hike.

Best views of Breckenridge! We decided to hike it in December when the snow wasn’t too bad. It was a difficult hike to the top when the snow became deeper, but the beginning was moderate. May recommend snow shoes towards the top because the snow can get pretty deep. (Some
Steps were up to our knees) We didn’t quite make it to the peak but got very close, unfortunately the wind gusts were 30+ mph and became a bit unbearable. Overall, an incredible and worth while
Hike. Give yourself 3-4 hours of travel, pack some snacks and lots of water!

The start of the trail is a 4*4 road, no so pleasant, but once you pass the first 2miles, views are great and from the top awesome! Worth the hike!

Hiking

Good trail, great views. Get to the trailhead by 8 (no later than 9) if you want to go to the top of the mountain and back by 2 to miss the afternoon storms. If you have a 4 wheel drive car, you can drive up the trail and take 1-2 hours off of the total hike.

off road driving

Fun trail, close to Breckenridge with beautiful veiws!

Consistent incline the entire way up and pretty steep for the last half mile. Hiked for 2:45 without stopping for many breaks or at the top very long. Note that is not a trail but a road the entire way up. Definitely worth the beautiful views of Breckinridge from the top.

This hike has amazing views and is a great way to spend 4+ hours hiking. Great for kids!

Very beautiful views, and is right by a national forest. I didn't do the whole thing, but the river that flows right next to it is gorgeous.

Friday, March 17, 2017

First time jogging in high altitudes on snow. This is a great trail for getting accustomed to the high altitude. It was a very wide trail and there was an amazing view of Breckenridge at the top. The only downside was the amount of dog poop sitting in the middle of trail, it's unbelievable how irresponsible some dog owners can be. I love dogs but can't stand bad dog owners who can't clean up after their pets.

Wednesday, November 09, 2016

Wide trail all the way up. Easy to find. Passed by a couple of cars and mnt bikers. Certainly uphill the whole way but no climbing at any point. Didn't expect it to be so high up but was more than happy with the views. Beautiful view of all of Breckenridge and Frisco from the top. Started getting wet feet at the top (snow) so missed the last 1/8 mile. Drive to the top if you can't make the hike.

Saturday, November 05, 2016

This is my first hike at any real elevation. I will say this is not an easy hike. The road is rough and tough to walk. The elevation will take a toll on noobs like me. I set aside 3.5 hours to make it up, but at 2:30pm I was about .2 miles from the summit. Two guys coming down advised that I likely didn't have enough time before sunset. I decided to descend with them. I was disappointed that I didn't complete what I set out to do, but I really enjoyed the day and got some cool pics. Take water, food, wind protection, trekking poles for the final .5 mile, and go early if you want to make it all the way and are not very versed in elevation hiking. --- I will be back to conquer Baldy!!

Friday, August 19, 2016

Starting in the parking lot on Baldy road, the trail is actually 9.4 miles as it is .6 miles to the trailhead. Adds to the total rise of ~2700 feet. Start early as you do not want to be caught by midday T-storms- which we did. Great steady cardio all the way up. The final ascent is not as gentle a rise. Views are spectacular!

Monday, August 08, 2016

We parked at the trailhead on Boreas Pass and hiked to the top. This was my first ascent of a peak and my first hike above 11,000 feet. The weather was perfect - sunny and 55 degrees when we departed and the climb was comfortable in zip-off hiking pants and a long sleeve midweight shirt. We packed a small lunch and water, and I carried a minimal camera kit (dslr body and two zoom lenses. I had little trouble on the ascent, aside from having the occasional shortness of breath due to being flatlands having only been in the area for 4 days. We only saw about a dozen people on foot, three mountain bikers and three 4x4 vehicles on the way up. We arrived at the peak in about 2:30, and sat for 30-45 minutes, eating lunch and taking in the views along with shooting many photos. We started the descent and about halfway down I started to struggle a bit. I realized at this point that I did not drink enough on the way up and was paying for it now. I'm a big guy at 6'1" and 220 lbs, but I am fit as I workout 5-6 days a week - weights, rowing and riding. I was getting slower and slower in the last 2 miles down and was happy to hit the bottom. I could barely walk. We took about 1:45 coming down and promptly ate, rehydrated and sat in the hot tub for about 30 minutes. As we sat in the tub, the thunderstorms rolled in.

The only thing I'd do different next time is take a light vest, drink more water and perhaps start a little earlier. It was a great day.

Thursday, July 14, 2016

Mid July 2016. 2 hrs 20 minutes up, and 1 hr 40 down. I lolligaged on the way up for sure, and took tons of photos both ways. Started from the Baker's Tank trailhead a couple of miles up Boreas Pass, but didn't want to walk on the well-traveled 4wd road, so boondocked straight up to the north ridge peak. The wildflowers were amazing! Met some goats who were chilling on a massive amount of snow on the east side of the ridge. Lots of snow on that east side on much of the ridge line, well, for mid-July! I loved being able to see so much from the summit. Quandary is closest, several 14'ers in Park county, Mount of the Holy Cross in Eagle county, Pike's Peak in the Springs, Bierstadt and Evans in Clear Creek county, and Long's way up near Ft. Collins. This is almost a 14'er, but not a soul shared the summit with me! Shhh, don't tell anyone about this one... :)

Saturday, July 02, 2016

Although I did not like this trail at first, it ended up being one of the best I'd ever done! We started up at 10am during a light but steady rain. Do not give up! Although the the first two miles are not very scenic, the views and FLOWERS past the two mile mark are totally worth it. The meadows at the the top of the mountain were absolutely gorgeous, like something out of a film. Would love to do again. Don't be deterred by the first two miles of this hike, push forward and know that it's worth it!

Friday, July 01, 2016

We really enjoyed this hike because it was scenic, not overly strenuous imho and yet eventually above treeline. And we had great weather w/ no rain and blazing CO sun! Hiked this in summer of '15

Tuesday, June 21, 2016

We ran and hiked our way up Baldy Rd and then hiked the ridgeline. Trail ran down, which was amazing.

Monday, September 21, 2015

Fun took the south rout that starts on the black powder trail on top of Boreas pass. The trail ends and then it's up to you to find your desired line. Lots of fun bouldering however we decide to cut down the south west side of the last knuckle and had to walk through about a mile of skree which was draining. Great views and very quiet!

Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Started at Boreas Pass and hiked to the summit. The trail basically disappears at the shoulder between bald mtn the other lower peak. Just hiked straight to the top from there, with many false peaks and some bouldering that had to be done. It is a great half day hike with beautiful views and wildflowers. Was still snow in mid July but nothing bad. I was in trail running shoes. You'll be mostly alone if you hike to the summit, which is nice compared to Quandry.

Wednesday, July 02, 2014

Came up from French Gulch, Weber Gulch Rd, through to True Romance, to Baldy Rd. Round trip around 11mi. There's a family of foxes on a mine hill right off the trail on the lower portion just before meeting up with Baldy Rd. Last time they chased us away this time we just took a quick peek and kept on going. It was really nice until Baldy Rd. when the parade of SUVs driving up to ~13k feet started. Sometimes there wasn't really enough room for us to move off the road. Even with their head start we were the only ones who really continued on past the first plateau area by the antennas. The talus was a bit rough for our dogs but it was an amazing trip. I was surprised by the volume and diversity of the flowers. Everywhere you looked there was a different variety. The summit was crazy windy and it was relief to get back down out of the wind.