Bald Mountain Trail

Bald Mountain Trail is a 8.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Breckenridge, Colorado and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Good trail, great views. Get to the trailhead by 8 (no later than 9) if you want to go to the top of the mountain and back by 2 to miss the afternoon storms. If you have a 4 wheel drive car, you can drive up the trail and take 1-2 hours off of the total hike.

off road driving

Fun trail, close to Breckenridge with beautiful veiws!

Consistent incline the entire way up and pretty steep for the last half mile. Hiked for 2:45 without stopping for many breaks or at the top very long. Note that is not a trail but a road the entire way up. Definitely worth the beautiful views of Breckinridge from the top.

This hike has amazing views and is a great way to spend 4+ hours hiking. Great for kids!

Very beautiful views, and is right by a national forest. I didn't do the whole thing, but the river that flows right next to it is gorgeous.

First time jogging in high altitudes on snow. This is a great trail for getting accustomed to the high altitude. It was a very wide trail and there was an amazing view of Breckenridge at the top. The only downside was the amount of dog poop sitting in the middle of trail, it's unbelievable how irresponsible some dog owners can be. I love dogs but can't stand bad dog owners who can't clean up after their pets.

Wide trail all the way up. Easy to find. Passed by a couple of cars and mnt bikers. Certainly uphill the whole way but no climbing at any point. Didn't expect it to be so high up but was more than happy with the views. Beautiful view of all of Breckenridge and Frisco from the top. Started getting wet feet at the top (snow) so missed the last 1/8 mile. Drive to the top if you can't make the hike.

This is my first hike at any real elevation. I will say this is not an easy hike. The road is rough and tough to walk. The elevation will take a toll on noobs like me. I set aside 3.5 hours to make it up, but at 2:30pm I was about .2 miles from the summit. Two guys coming down advised that I likely didn't have enough time before sunset. I decided to descend with them. I was disappointed that I didn't complete what I set out to do, but I really enjoyed the day and got some cool pics. Take water, food, wind protection, trekking poles for the final .5 mile, and go early if you want to make it all the way and are not very versed in elevation hiking. --- I will be back to conquer Baldy!!

Friday, August 19, 2016

Starting in the parking lot on Baldy road, the trail is actually 9.4 miles as it is .6 miles to the trailhead. Adds to the total rise of ~2700 feet. Start early as you do not want to be caught by midday T-storms- which we did. Great steady cardio all the way up. The final ascent is not as gentle a rise. Views are spectacular!

Monday, August 08, 2016

We parked at the trailhead on Boreas Pass and hiked to the top. This was my first ascent of a peak and my first hike above 11,000 feet. The weather was perfect - sunny and 55 degrees when we departed and the climb was comfortable in zip-off hiking pants and a long sleeve midweight shirt. We packed a small lunch and water, and I carried a minimal camera kit (dslr body and two zoom lenses. I had little trouble on the ascent, aside from having the occasional shortness of breath due to being flatlands having only been in the area for 4 days. We only saw about a dozen people on foot, three mountain bikers and three 4x4 vehicles on the way up. We arrived at the peak in about 2:30, and sat for 30-45 minutes, eating lunch and taking in the views along with shooting many photos. We started the descent and about halfway down I started to struggle a bit. I realized at this point that I did not drink enough on the way up and was paying for it now. I'm a big guy at 6'1" and 220 lbs, but I am fit as I workout 5-6 days a week - weights, rowing and riding. I was getting slower and slower in the last 2 miles down and was happy to hit the bottom. I could barely walk. We took about 1:45 coming down and promptly ate, rehydrated and sat in the hot tub for about 30 minutes. As we sat in the tub, the thunderstorms rolled in.

The only thing I'd do different next time is take a light vest, drink more water and perhaps start a little earlier. It was a great day.

Thursday, July 14, 2016

Mid July 2016. 2 hrs 20 minutes up, and 1 hr 40 down. I lolligaged on the way up for sure, and took tons of photos both ways. Started from the Baker's Tank trailhead a couple of miles up Boreas Pass, but didn't want to walk on the well-traveled 4wd road, so boondocked straight up to the north ridge peak. The wildflowers were amazing! Met some goats who were chilling on a massive amount of snow on the east side of the ridge. Lots of snow on that east side on much of the ridge line, well, for mid-July! I loved being able to see so much from the summit. Quandary is closest, several 14'ers in Park county, Mount of the Holy Cross in Eagle county, Pike's Peak in the Springs, Bierstadt and Evans in Clear Creek county, and Long's way up near Ft. Collins. This is almost a 14'er, but not a soul shared the summit with me! Shhh, don't tell anyone about this one... :)

Saturday, July 02, 2016

Although I did not like this trail at first, it ended up being one of the best I'd ever done! We started up at 10am during a light but steady rain. Do not give up! Although the the first two miles are not very scenic, the views and FLOWERS past the two mile mark are totally worth it. The meadows at the the top of the mountain were absolutely gorgeous, like something out of a film. Would love to do again. Don't be deterred by the first two miles of this hike, push forward and know that it's worth it!

Friday, July 01, 2016

We really enjoyed this hike because it was scenic, not overly strenuous imho and yet eventually above treeline. And we had great weather w/ no rain and blazing CO sun! Hiked this in summer of '15