Balcony House Loop Trail

Balcony House Loop Trail is a 0.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Mesa Verde National Park, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from May until October.

Balcony House is a 1 hour ranger guided tour through a cliff dwelling located in Mesa Verde National Park. This tour is considered the most challenging tour due to the fact that visitors will have to descend a 100 foot staircase, climb a 32 ft. ladder, climb through a 12 ft. by 18 in. wide tunnel, and then climb an additional 60 ft. of ladders and stone steps to exit the cliff dwelling.

Great ranger-guided tour, I would recommend this tour over the others at Mesa Verde because Balcony House is the least visible from any other viewpoint in the park, so you can really only get a feel from it by going inside. I'm not afraid of heights but I can image this would be for someone who is, and the tunnels that you need to squeeze through at the end are pretty small and low down.

Went on the 11:30 tour. I was petrified to climb the ladder to get into this dwelling, but I am so glad I did. It was well worth the experience. Our ranger was informative and kind. He checked in regularly to make sure everyone was handling the heat and heights. He was a wonderful story teller. The climb out was scary as well. After you climb a ladder, you have to grab onto a chain rope and climb up a rock that has dugouts for your feet. I'm glad I did it, but once was enough for me!

Great tour guides (only $5!), very worth it!

Great adventure! As another reviewer stated, this is not for you if you are afraid of heights. It was nerve wracking. We took our three children ranges in ages from 6-13. I was nervous for them but it was fun, educational, and beautiful!

An amazing tour and hike. If you're afraid of heights, this might be a little difficult for you! Great for kids!

Very easy and scenic trail. Beautiful views.

Pleasant 70-minute guided tour. Our ranger, Jeff Brown, was a great storyteller who tried to get us to think like a cliff-dwelling inhabitant of the site in pre-Columbian times. The hike is easy, but if you take young children, be aware that they might balk at the ladder they must climb to exit the site. While we were leaving, one child refused to climb and her parent didn't have control over her. Not a pretty sight. Great value at $4 per person, with tickets available at the Visitor Center near the entrance to the Park.

Sunday, August 21, 2016

Not a long trail, but a very cool, ranger guided tour through the cliff dwellings. You get the opportunity to crawl through their living quarters, climb a 32 foot tall ladder and experience some of what the natives experienced. Fun time learning about the past.

Thursday, July 28, 2016

A really fun trail, ranger led. Climbing ladders and crawling through a few tight spots on the evening sun. Very nice

Sunday, June 26, 2016

Wasn't hard at all. I guess maybe it would be if you're scared of heights but it wasn't strenuous.

Monday, June 20, 2016

Monday, April 25, 2016

This is an educational hike guided by a ranger. It is not long in distance but plan on 60-90 minutes for the tour. It requires climbing ladders and squeezing through a couple of tight spaces. With that said the experience is phenomenal! You get a small glimpse into the lives of ancient Native Americans and their adaptability. Our ranger guide, Kevin, was knowledgeable about these people and provided insight into their lives.

Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Awesome experience. We had people of all ages in our group. Don't be intimidated by the ladder climb. It's not as bad as it sounds. A few people decided to back out unnecessarily after the guide's description...not because they were afraid of heights, but just due to the guide's description. Do it atleast once. It's a guided tour.