Balcony House Loop Trail

Balcony House Loop Trail is a 0.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Mesa Verde National Park, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from May until October.

Balcony House is a 1 hour ranger guided tour through a cliff dwelling located in Mesa Verde National Park. This tour is considered the most challenging tour due to the fact that visitors will have to descend a 100 foot staircase, climb a 32 ft. ladder, climb through a 12 ft. by 18 in. wide tunnel, and then climb an additional 60 ft. of ladders and stone steps to exit the cliff dwelling.

Costs extra money for tour hike. Guide was corny and It was shorter than I anticipated. Still a sweet time

I loved the sense of adventure for this hike, but only wish it were longer! Lots of stairs, three ladders, and tiny tunnel but it all added to an amazing feel. Getting to see the structure up close and personal was something else entirely. Our ranger was amazing and really funny, so it added to the experience. We spent more time waiting for the other tour before us to clear out, but it gave us time to explore. Really worth the cost and time-- truly an amazing experience.

My favorite of all the dwellings

Great ranger-guided tour, I would recommend this tour over the others at Mesa Verde because Balcony House is the least visible from any other viewpoint in the park, so you can really only get a feel from it by going inside. I'm not afraid of heights but I can image this would be for someone who is, and the tunnels that you need to squeeze through at the end are pretty small and low down.

Went on the 11:30 tour. I was petrified to climb the ladder to get into this dwelling, but I am so glad I did. It was well worth the experience. Our ranger was informative and kind. He checked in regularly to make sure everyone was handling the heat and heights. He was a wonderful story teller. The climb out was scary as well. After you climb a ladder, you have to grab onto a chain rope and climb up a rock that has dugouts for your feet. I'm glad I did it, but once was enough for me!

Great tour guides (only $5!), very worth it!

Great adventure! As another reviewer stated, this is not for you if you are afraid of heights. It was nerve wracking. We took our three children ranges in ages from 6-13. I was nervous for them but it was fun, educational, and beautiful!

An amazing tour and hike. If you're afraid of heights, this might be a little difficult for you! Great for kids!

Wednesday, November 02, 2016

Very easy and scenic trail. Beautiful views.

Friday, October 28, 2016

Friday, October 07, 2016

Pleasant 70-minute guided tour. Our ranger, Jeff Brown, was a great storyteller who tried to get us to think like a cliff-dwelling inhabitant of the site in pre-Columbian times. The hike is easy, but if you take young children, be aware that they might balk at the ladder they must climb to exit the site. While we were leaving, one child refused to climb and her parent didn't have control over her. Not a pretty sight. Great value at $4 per person, with tickets available at the Visitor Center near the entrance to the Park.

Friday, September 23, 2016