Balcony House Loop Trail

Balcony House Loop Trail is a 0.4 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Mesa Verde National Park, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from May until October.

Balcony House is a 1 hour ranger guided tour through a cliff dwelling located in Mesa Verde National Park. This tour is considered the most challenging tour due to the fact that visitors will have to descend a 100 foot staircase, climb a 32 ft. ladder, climb through a 12 ft. by 18 in. wide tunnel, and then climb an additional 60 ft. of ladders and stone steps to exit the cliff dwelling.

***check in with the visitor center to book your guided tour if you want to walk through the cliff dwellings*** Well worth the $5.
This park was amazing. We saw the balcony house at 12 and the cliff house at 2 and it was sufficient time to get to the next as well as time well spent. We ended spending the entire day here.

Completed this last summer. Ranger was grouchy and really ruined the experience. Trail, although a little difficult in places, was in great shape, well preserved and maintained. This is a Ranger-guided tour.

Love Mesa Verde and all the places to see!! Great National Park to visit!

Guided tour only. Very nice and well worth the $$

The tour costs $5, but it was by far our favorite part of the entire day spent at Mesa Verde. My husband and I both agreed that the tour brought everything together and was a vital part of our visit. Kim, our ranger, was extremely knowledgeable. The hike itself is not difficult- the worst part is climbing the ladder.

Costs extra money for tour hike. Guide was corny and It was shorter than I anticipated. Still a sweet time

I loved the sense of adventure for this hike, but only wish it were longer! Lots of stairs, three ladders, and tiny tunnel but it all added to an amazing feel. Getting to see the structure up close and personal was something else entirely. Our ranger was amazing and really funny, so it added to the experience. We spent more time waiting for the other tour before us to clear out, but it gave us time to explore. Really worth the cost and time-- truly an amazing experience.

My favorite of all the dwellings

Great ranger-guided tour, I would recommend this tour over the others at Mesa Verde because Balcony House is the least visible from any other viewpoint in the park, so you can really only get a feel from it by going inside. I'm not afraid of heights but I can image this would be for someone who is, and the tunnels that you need to squeeze through at the end are pretty small and low down.

Went on the 11:30 tour. I was petrified to climb the ladder to get into this dwelling, but I am so glad I did. It was well worth the experience. Our ranger was informative and kind. He checked in regularly to make sure everyone was handling the heat and heights. He was a wonderful story teller. The climb out was scary as well. After you climb a ladder, you have to grab onto a chain rope and climb up a rock that has dugouts for your feet. I'm glad I did it, but once was enough for me!

Sunday, June 11, 2017

Great tour guides (only $5!), very worth it!

Monday, June 05, 2017

Great adventure! As another reviewer stated, this is not for you if you are afraid of heights. It was nerve wracking. We took our three children ranges in ages from 6-13. I was nervous for them but it was fun, educational, and beautiful!

Saturday, June 03, 2017

An amazing tour and hike. If you're afraid of heights, this might be a little difficult for you! Great for kids!

Wednesday, November 02, 2016

Very easy and scenic trail. Beautiful views.

Friday, October 07, 2016

Pleasant 70-minute guided tour. Our ranger, Jeff Brown, was a great storyteller who tried to get us to think like a cliff-dwelling inhabitant of the site in pre-Columbian times. The hike is easy, but if you take young children, be aware that they might balk at the ladder they must climb to exit the site. While we were leaving, one child refused to climb and her parent didn't have control over her. Not a pretty sight. Great value at $4 per person, with tickets available at the Visitor Center near the entrance to the Park.

Sunday, August 21, 2016

Not a long trail, but a very cool, ranger guided tour through the cliff dwellings. You get the opportunity to crawl through their living quarters, climb a 32 foot tall ladder and experience some of what the natives experienced. Fun time learning about the past.

Thursday, July 28, 2016

A really fun trail, ranger led. Climbing ladders and crawling through a few tight spots on the evening sun. Very nice

Sunday, June 26, 2016

Wasn't hard at all. I guess maybe it would be if you're scared of heights but it wasn't strenuous.

Monday, April 25, 2016

This is an educational hike guided by a ranger. It is not long in distance but plan on 60-90 minutes for the tour. It requires climbing ladders and squeezing through a couple of tight spaces. With that said the experience is phenomenal! You get a small glimpse into the lives of ancient Native Americans and their adaptability. Our ranger guide, Kevin, was knowledgeable about these people and provided insight into their lives.

Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Awesome experience. We had people of all ages in our group. Don't be intimidated by the ladder climb. It's not as bad as it sounds. A few people decided to back out unnecessarily after the guide's description...not because they were afraid of heights, but just due to the guide's description. Do it atleast once. It's a guided tour.

Thursday, October 01, 2015

This is the best $4 guided trip ever

Monday, August 31, 2015

Loved the large ladder, ruins and tour

Friday, July 10, 2015

Great tour, large ladder to climb to get into the balcony house.

Thursday, May 21, 2015

Balcony House is an amazing cliff dwelling inside Mesa Verde National Park. The trail to get to the dwelling and to get out of the dwelling is challenging and you have to climb a 32 ft. ladder to get into the dwelling, and then to exit the dwelling you have to crawl through a small tunnel and the climb another 60 ft. of ladder and stone steps to exit the dwelling. Although it is a little challenging the trail is not overwhelming and my wife, myself, and our 8 year old daughter was able to do it without much issue. This is a great place to visit and I think that if you're in Mesa Verde you should definitely do the tour. It was awesome!!

recorded Balcony House