Balanced Rock OHV Road is a 15.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Woodland Park, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for ohv/off road driving and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Length15.2 miElevation gain2,293 ftRoute typeOut & back
Photos (71)
Activities (41)
Completed (106)
Xavier Alvarado
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 12, 2021
Hiking

Nice trail. Good variety of routes along the way for more of a challenge

View Xavier's activity
Hunter Noller
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFebruary 27, 2021
OHV/Off-road drivingIcyOff trailSnow

It was great! We did take it in the snow tho and got stuck near Palmer Lake. Needed some serious gear to pull out my Jeep Compass 2018 Limited. Way better in the spring but still awesome just make sure to have chains and cat litter!!

F G
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 22, 2020

Good trail to waste 3 hours on

View F's activity
Ryan Jurek
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 24, 2020
Scenic drivingRockyScramble

Most of the trail was easy for this beginner, except one place near Palmer Lake that required some bravery. Stunning views on the way, and you can hike around Palmer Lake when you get to you destination. I will do this trail again!

Eddie Diaz
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 19, 2020
OHV/Off-road drivingGreat!

I enjoyed this trail, some moderate spots but for the most part very passable. I treked it in a stock Hyundai Santa Fe at 28psi. Had no real issue going through the entire trail. Get out there and get away from people!

Karen Howard
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 20, 2020
View Karen's activity
Greg Martinez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 9, 2020
OHV/Off-road driving

The trail was amazing! Had a smile the entire way through. Lots of scenic views and the balanced rock was awesome. Got to Palmer lake #2 and it was beautiful. But all in all, it was fun! 2wd all the way down, 4x4 on our way back up!

Dave Grove
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 7, 2020
OHV/Off-road driving

Great drive. Very nice road. The end was a little rough for my Willys. Lots of wash out. Lake was awesome.

View Dave's activity
Ally Doherty
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 17, 2020
OHV/Off-road driving

We drove through a neighborhood and accessed an easy dirt trail and found several dispersed camping sites readily available and shooting areas that were terribly littered. After parking and eating some lunch, we decided to continue on a trail that lead to the lakes. We realized when we reached the lakes, the trail down was CLOSED and we were nearly back down towards the bottom. We thought we were on the right trail, but realized we would need to turn back around and traverse the handful of more difficult areas we had just cleared yet again. I just bought my Jeep in June, so I’m not as experienced as some, but considering my first real trail ride was St. John’s Trail, I’ve already seen some adversity in terrain.

Jason Braun
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 1, 2020
OHV/Off-road driving

Fun trail. Pretty easy with a couple semi-technical area. Doable in a stock vehicle (although you may scrape in a couple places).

View Jason's activity
Rhett Swallows
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 22, 2020
OHV/Off-road driving

Great trail to a beautiful lake!! Did it in my stock Subaru Forester with street tires. Few areas were a little tricky but no problem for the subi!

Gabe Conlon
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 3, 2020
OHV/Off-road drivingBugs

Awesome trail with great views. Lake at the end is well worth the extra drive or hike to. We made wut with two wrangler unlimiteds.

View Gabe's activity
Kellie Dillon
Hiking

Had a great time taking my tj out for my first trail ride. Now I want something a little more challenging.

Tomas Kawasaki
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 6, 2020
OHV/Off-road driving

Great trail with good views and lots of spots to pull off and camp. The last 4-5 miles are a tad more technical but a lot of fun if you take it slow and have a spotter. I drove all the way to the lake and found a quiet spot to camp. Definitely a nice weekend trip.

Joshua Goodwin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 15, 2020
Hiking

We did this one on Mother’s Day. Perfect day, no snow and the trail was in great shape. Lost of places to pull of to rest or camp. Cool little hike to the lake at the end of the trail. I passed two other vehicles on the trail, so not too bad. But, there were a ton of people at the lake just relaxing. I’m guessing they hiked up to the lake from the other side because I didn’t see many vehicles around.

Jesse Butler
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 6, 2020

Awesome trail. Went out Saturday in the Impreza wagon with no issues. camped and the balancing rock.

HasHemi Productions
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 4, 2020
HikingOff trail

Went today and was amazing. No mud or snow. 2 keeps and an f150 made it no problem. The only challenge is the last quarter mike before you get to lake but not as bad as it looked.

andrew bursaw
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarApril 22, 2020
OHV/Off-road driving

Snowy/Slushy in some spots, but no issue with my Power Wagon. Only saw 1 other rig after ~1/4 mile in. Very nice little trail/road. Wouldn't recommend for anything w/o 4wd, but high clearance not strictly required. As others have mentioned though probably makes sense to bring some recovery gear just in case.

S Smith
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarApril 12, 2020
OHV/Off-road drivingIcyMuddySnowWashed out

So the trail is a fun ride and relatively easy until the last leg when it gets a little tight and downhill right before the Palmer park reservoir. There is still a lot of snow and mud and going downhill may be a breeze, going up IS NOT. My brother and I, in our full size modded f-150s, did the trail with ease and were soon at the reservoir (which is a cool place btw). Coming back up, it’s the most difficult part, NO JOKE. There is a hill at a switch back that is COVERED in snow and mud and my truck got stuck. No matter how fast of speed I got before hill or how much wiggling I did, my truck would not bug and it actually got close the edge, so I stopped my efforts. My brother and I had to call a Freds Towing to come get us which took them a long time to find us due to the 1 bar of service. We did not have a winch, just two straps. So if you do not have RESCUE GEAR, DO NOT GO DOWN THE LAST PART when there is still snow, mud, and ice. When you come up, you’ll be fucked if you’re not prepared, I’m dead serious. We are somewhat new to off-roading but we were stuck for a very long time (5+ hours) till help came. Don’t make the same mistake lol. 2016 F150 Sport XLT 33”s FOX level and full suspension kit

Bryce Veller
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarApril 8, 2020
OHV/Off-road drivingMuddySnowWashed out

The fact that this ends at a lake makes it a really cool trail, HOWEVER. If you come here anytime outside of the height of summer HAVE A WINCH AND BRING RECOVERY GEAR. The trail is pretty much guaranteed to have lots of snow everywhere which makes the trail way harder than it actually it is. I went 12 days ago with a couple of buddies in a stock Rav 4 and everything went great until we had to come back up and like everyone else we got stuck at that icy switchback. If you want to see a video of the trail and switch back everyone is talking about in this trails review section then check out this video I made about the trail https://youtu.be/3hqCojdRVA8. It's a sweet fairly easy trail that absolutely sucks when there is snow on it and you don't have proper recovery gear.

George Andrews
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarNovember 6, 2019
OHV/Off-road drivingIcyMuddyRockySnow

Today 11/5 some friends and I went on this trail. it's nice. a good challenge. snowy and icy definitely did not have as much traction. would not go on with a fresh layer of snow. the last like half mile before the resevoir is the most challenging and will take some time and need a good line THERE IS A HUGE MUD RUT JUST AS YOU APPROACH PALMER RESEVOIR. GO AROUND IT BY ALL MEANS. WAS STUCK FOR 2 HOURS UNTIL MY BUDDY YANKED ME OUT WITH HIS WINCH. all in all good trail