Baker's Tank

Baker's Tank is a 5.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Breckenridge, Colorado that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 5.1 miles Elevation Gain: 882 feet Route Type: Out & Back

We started uphill walking through forest for the first half - dusty with several bikes then merged onto the road at the tank - LOTS of car/truck traffic for remainder of ez hike but so dusty ... car traffic on dusty road pretty much made it ‘not so fun’ except for the beautiful skies, perfect weather and some nice views ... colors are starting to change so the aspen are nice!

Super simple trail that’s great for an afternoon hike! There’s some beautiful scenic points that are breath taking. We ended up walking down the dirt road back to our car, which had some gorgeous views. I know you can pick up another trail back down as well, which we’ve done before.

This is a good acclimation hike for the first day hiking. There are a few views overlooking the valley and the mountains.

I would put this on the low end of the Moderate scale as it was not technically challenging and only had a couple of sections that had you breathing hard. Lots of mountain bikers so be on the lookout.

Nice short little hike, good for people who have just come up for vacation and want a good day hike to acclimate with. Did it the other day on a whim when I had nothing to do. Large patches of snow as well as a very wet trail.

Mostly packed snow but many areas had deep snow where I fell through to my knees. Deep snow added challenge to an otherwise easy hike through lovely Alpine trees with occasional views of mountains. Snow also added to staying on trail but it is well marked. Many hikers started on Baker's Tank and came back to trailhead via a dirt (fire?) road. Note this hike is above Breckenridge so be prepared for altitude.

Tue Sep 25 2018

Wanted to see some Aspens. There were none.

Sat Sep 22 2018

Great hike! Thought it was rated easy though. Whew!

Tue Sep 11 2018

nice through the forest trail. not a hard trail at all. watch out for mountain bikes.

Thu Aug 23 2018

My husband and I hiked this trail and we were surprised at how easy it was for us considering we were still getting adjusted to altitude. There was definitely alot of up hill action but so worth it.

Fri Aug 10 2018

Did this hike 8/8. Beautiful hike but definitely not difficult. Shared the trail with a quite a few bikers who all didn’t understand that the trail was to be shared.

Thu Jul 26 2018

My husband and I did the Baker’s Tank Boreas Pass Rd hike today. We got started late and were rained on a bit but it was worth it! We thought it was easy to moderate (inclines) and there were a few bikers on the trail, but we mostly had it to ourselves. Many beautiful flowers and trees to look at and we even found a log to sit on in a sunny spot to look out over the magnificent views! Perfect stream near the Bakers Tank and many campsites along the road going down. Many, many breathtaking views from the road! We had a great day and would do it again!

Mon Jun 04 2018

It was a nice hike. Definitely not difficult though. We continued up the mountain past the end of Bakers trail. Didn't see any wildlife and was mostly trees to look at. No major clearing or summit to stop at. But overall a nice medium to easy hike which was good because we were short on time.

Sat Oct 28 2017

Definitely not a "Hard Trail" we did it in reverse starting at Bakers Tank . Nice forest walk took about a little over two hours very enjoyable and a good 1st hike having just arrived acclimatising to the altitude Our GPS measured it as 5.8 mile round trip

Sun Oct 15 2017

Mainly in the forest, with lots of wildlife.

Fri Sep 22 2017

We took the advice from Tom Moore a few reviews ago. Agreed, hike really isn't a "hard" hike. We took the forest trail up through the woods all the way to Bakers Tank, then returned down Boreas Pass. The road isn't very exciting (and was a bit dusty when we went) but the views were spectacular! It took us much longer to get down because we were stopping to taking photos everywhere. If you get lucky and the aspens are changing, the road hike is quite stunning.

Thu Sep 21 2017

A little steep at first but a nice hike to the Baker Tank

Fri Sep 08 2017

Baker's is not "hard" as the rating implies. My wife and I are 53 and 54. We've done Gray's, Mohawk, McCullough Gulch, and Burro in the past 2 weeks and Baker's is the easiest of the bunch. Nice gradual incline. 900 feet of elevation gain. GPS recorded it as 6 miles round trip. Baker's is basically a pretty forest hike (similar to Burro). Couple of decent views. We went on Thursday and saw a total of 1 trail runner and 1 mountain biker. If we do it again, we'll hike up the trail and back on Boreas Pass Rd (which has far better vista views than the trail)

Mon Aug 21 2017

My sons and I have done this Trail several times on mountain bikes. Boreas Pass Road is a moderate but steady climb and the trail through the woods down is moderately technical but a lot of fun. Round trip takes about 3 hours. views of Breckenridge and the reservoir are incredible.

Wed Aug 09 2017

Easy hike. Beautiful scenery. Plenty of bikers and even cars!

Tue Jun 20 2017

Shaded for most of the way with a very long incline for the first half. Nice little snack by the river that flows next to bakers tank. Good spot for lunch.

Sun Jun 18 2017

Great hike in October...I did not make it all the way to the tank because the altitude got to me at about 11,500 and I turned back. Will do again this summer.

Sat Mar 25 2017

Fri Mar 10 2017

Great trail. Snowshoed. Halfway through the trail gets a bit confusing as several tracked paths emerge. On the return down there is some fun powdery runs. Not too many overwhelming panoramic views, but beautiful forests.

Sun Mar 05 2017

Throughly enjoyable. A steady climb evens out on the tops of a ridge with great views to the south. Trail is packed down, used snowshoes, icy in some spots.

Tue Jan 10 2017