Learn more

Baby Bathtubs Trail is a 0.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Ouray, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 0.9 miles Elevation Gain: 341 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Perimeter Trail does a 360 around Ouray. 6.5 miles

icy

Enjoyable trail, but in September the baby bathtubs were pretty dry. Nonetheless, it is still an easy and fun hike with interesting rock formations.

Easy trail. Kids had a blast. Saw a few deer.

Fun way to see ouray! Lots of different terrain. Would definitely recommend!

Nice easy trail. I bet it’s more enjoyable in the spring and early summer when there is more water. If you continue on the perimeter trail past the end of baby bathtubs just a short bit there are some incredible views in al directions!

Pretty trail, not much water. Super easy and relatively short. Not extremely scenic this time of year. Probably won’t do it again

Although rated easy, keep in mind there is a short uphill at the beginning that will get your heart pumping. Beautiful scenery and short waterfalls. I don’t like out and back hikes, so I took part of the Portland trail back down the road.

Nice short trail to stretch our legs when we got into town this evening. Connects to the perimeter trail, which we hiked a short bit of. Great views of the mountains and town. Nice creek and gorge. Mildly steep uphill, watch coming down on the gravel, lots of people slipping, so watch kids.

I'm talking about the Perimeter hike here... for some reason it posted on Baby Bathtubs, which is part of the perimter trail.. My wife and I started from town on foot and entered via the Box Canyon paid entry, which is 5 bucks each. We did the loop counterclockwise, which started with a steep climb up to high bridge. Then the trail loops around the Uncompahgre River through the Pray Ice Park. You walk some along a road with a huge pipeline next you you, but it is worth it and still beautiful. Then you climb up to the highest point on the trail, 8500 ft... then a beautiful hike down to the Baby Bathtubs and along a beautiful trail on a cliff east of town with great views of the town and Mountains. Then you hike past the amazing Cascade Falls down to the visitors center. I normally don't like town view hikes, or hikes with any road, but this hike is fantastic. We had good weather for 3 hours and then it poured rain on us for about 40 minutes. then beautiful again. We had two Garmin devices that said we had a total ascent, counting all the ups and downs, of about 2400 feet, much more than the 1600 feet advertised. I trust my devices on this, but we started from town and climbed up pretty far via Box Canyon entry which added to the total ascent number. My devices all said 6.8, not the advertised 5.8 miles. Great hike.

Cool hike that's great for families

took the ice. park. shortcut due to one set of high winds, sporadic drizzle and snow fall visible at higher elevations. glad we did the ledge part first.

One of the few trails where “Easy” applies. Got to the end, and decided to hike on to the lookout. Careful not to trespass on the private property. The rocky hill at the end was a beautiful vista but beware of small cacti embedded in the rocks.

Needed microspikes and poles in a couple spots. Cave exit after bridge was sketchy. Overall, amazing!

Sat Mar 30 2019

nice trail, about half mile up trail turns to runoff channel but still hike able. snow aboit foot or so deep about a mile in.

Fri Sep 21 2018

Great hike! I’m from California so the altitude was challenging. But worth it!

Wed Aug 15 2018

Pretty views, well-kept trail. It is definitely very short, so would be good for kids/those looking for a very easy, quick outing. We took two dogs and it was definitely dog friendly.

Mon Jul 16 2018

Was not impressed. If you are just going to see the bathtubs, they are just about .2 miles from the TH. The rest of the trail just connects up with the Perimeter Trail.

Tue Jul 03 2018

Very kid and dog friendly!

Thu Jun 14 2018

We really enjoyed this hike. My wife our kids (1.5 and 4) and our dog had a great time playing on the rocks and checking out the views. The rock formations are awesome and the little pools and such are great for the kids and the dog to play in. We went early afternoon on a Tuesday and saw less than 10 people. There's a cool canyon or gorge right at the bridge next to the parking lot. A group of climbers were there so there's that too.

Trail was great. Stream about halfway in, and amazing views at the top. Very steep at beginning, and near the end. Overall great.

Wed Jun 06 2018

It’s a fairly easy hike for beginners!

Thu Aug 17 2017

Did this hike with my husband, our dog, and three year old. I thought this was a great first hike for us to get acclimated in Ouray. Loved the "bath tubs" section and we even kept going a little further up. Would recommend for family's and dogs.