B-17 Crash Site

B-17 Crash Site is a 6.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Box Prairie, Colorado that features a lake. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running.

historic site

Hiked from the Stormy Peaks trailhead to the B-17 crash site. You take the trail to the Old Wagon Road that goes by Twin Lakes and take the trail on the west side of the lake. Continue on the wagon road until you see an arrow made of rocks that points you off to the right.

We started our trek today from Twin Lakes. It was a bit of a challenge with stock 4x4. At one point my son had to guide me to ensure I had undercarriage clearance. Then at the Twin Lakes parking area the wind was so intense and strong it took your breath away and pushed you around. We decided to try the CSU Pingree Campus access, so hiked in from the Stormy Peaks trail head to the B-17 crash site.

Hiking at this time of year meant snow covered the second rock trail marker. We initially missed the small trail off the wider primary trail before the crash site (see map). The All Trails App was a great resource to 1) know we missed the side trail and 2) get back on trial. I love this app.

The hike was a good hike, but the crash site is what made this trek special. This was of course a humbling experience. It wasn’t just the crash debris, it was the thought of the airman, the era and technology and the crash location.

For local area hikes this is one to add to the list. I encourage people to take it in and then do some research on the crew and crash.

Beautiful trail. Not well marked. Look for the arrows made from rocks on the trail to guide you. Loved it and will do again!

I've done this hike twice-- late July 2016 and July 3, 2017. Both times were with my son (at age 9 then 10). It's a terrific destination hike that is challenging for a youngster, but easy for them to make it and feel a huge sense of accomplishment. In 2016 we took the short 4x4 road to Twin Lake Reservoir and started by hiking around the lake to the B-17 trail on the south side. This year we started by the CSU Mtn Campus and hiked up to the lake.This route starts with a steep set of switchbacks and is a little more challenging, but you can save the underside of your car if you don't have a lot a clearance.

Even without the crash site this would have been a great hike. The lake is very nice and you also pass a beautiful stream and some mini waterfalls on the way. We went on a Saturday and only saw a few other people the whole day.