Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Argentine Pass OHV Route

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(148)
Mount Evans Wilderness

Argentine Pass OHV Route is a 26.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Georgetown, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 26.7 miles Elevation Gain: 5,551 feet Route Type: Out & Back

scenic driving

ohv / off road driving

Stunning high views. Visit amazing Santiago Ghost Town. Incredible views from 13,132-ft. Argentine Pass and top of McClellan Mountain. Don't miss historic buildings at Santiago Mine and Ghost Town. Many legal side roads to explore. Great area for unlicensed vehicles. Numerous tourist attractions in quaint Georgetown. Check out new visitor center near freeway exit. High Point 13,132 ft., Best time to go: Mid July thru September. Located in Arapaho National Forest. For current conditions call Clear Creek Ranger District (303) 567-3000 Rocky at the start and very narrow at the top of Argentine Pass. Much of the lower route is easy unless you take alternate route 248.1B along creek. Snow can block trail well into summer. Follow an old railroad grade to top of McClellan Mountain. Need aggressive stock SUV with low range.

closed

Snowshoed 2.15.20. Total solitude save for a handful of XC skiers. Good workout. 7.75 miles round trip. Mind the weather.

As of noon on Saturday February 8, 2020, the parking area is not plowed. There's no where to park for the trail

ohv/off road driving

Trail is iced over as of 9/17/19. the main route up on Leavanworth Crk Rd.

Long very moderate trail easy enough in a Jeep Grand Cherokee 2 inch lift 31s. Just so you know it is not truly a pass, one way up and one way down. Views from the top are insane however, most of the mine and town have been removed and are no longer up there.

ohv/off road driving

Moderate difficulty until you reach the old mine. We turned around there because we ran out of time. Going on from there seems much more difficult, since we saw a bunch of jeeps going up higher very slowly. Driving a stock wrangler. Saw a Rav4 there, so no high clearance needed, but I wouldn’t want to don’t hat trail in a Rav4.

ohv/off road driving

Made it up to the top (of both peaks) without issue. Any decent SUV will not have issues making it to the pit, up to the top of the peaks may require a bit of ground clearance (7-8 inches). It was incredibly windy at the top, bring a jacket if you intend on staying for any length of time. Some great photo-ops along the way. One narrow passing section, you're just gonna have to brave it out - its too far to back up in either direction, so hold your breath. :) I probably wouldn't go back to this one though - the views at the top are nice, but some other passes are much better and worth the longer drive.

ohv/off road driving

roads to the mill are passable with my stock Durango. trail to the mine is dangerous and seldom traveled. dead end at the mine. the views are wonderful.

ohv/off road driving

Stream crossings were all very low (under 3" deep). Dry trail all the way to top area... Overall a fun day but a few notes: Did it with a stock 4runner SR5, but with Bridgestone KO2’s. Felt like it would tear up stock all seasons, so glad I had the extra tooth on the sidewalls, aired-down. After the Waldorf Mine flat area near the top, when you approach the first above-the-treeline ascent, I found I needed a lift kit ... 2"-3”? Unfortunately, I had to turn around only 1,000ft up the trail from the mine, as I encountered rocky steps which bottomed me out.... even with a skilled spotter. I simply didn’t have the clearance and didn’t want to tear up the truck. Guys ahead reported at the top near the summit there is an even more severe/technical series of steps about 12” each to reach summit. We also tried to check out the mining town but on the way up that trail it got too steep and narrow -- the trail was loose stones. I would have done it in a TRD or lifted SR5... Still a fun day and hours on the trail but IMO I wouldn't rate the trail as easy (which is the same rating the paved Mt. Evans auto-road "trail" is), but then again I’m not a pro. Moderate would be my best description. Needed spotter on two sections. Last bit: we went on a Sunday and had to turn off for oncoming traffic going down the mountain at least 6 times. It got irritating. Passed 30+ oncoming trucks. There were few pull-asides and they were on the edge of cliffs. Overall was fun! If I do it again I’d take an ATV or a dirt bike. It was felt like kinda a lot for my SUV for no good reason. Maybe I just need more mods.

ohv/off road driving

Trail is open all the way to the top. I think most suvs can get up to the top pretty easy. I think the trails on the easy side of moderate 8/21

ohv/off road driving

awesome trail. did it in a 19 Cherokee trailhawk. KO2S and 1.5"lift. perfect weather. all water crossings are super low

ohv/off road driving

two kinda challenging parts, nothing my stock fj could not handle. great views at over 13,000 ft

It rained as we started so of course the trail was alittle muddy. Overall I really enjoyed this trail even though it was quite busy!

ohv/off road driving

Fun ride. Went all the way up to Argentine Pass. Only one spot is particularly challenging- a rocky cliff right at the beginning of the Argentine pass section of the trail. Other than that incredible views nice driving amazing wildflowers and a lot of neat dispersed camping. Definitely recommend!

Very beautiful once you get to the valley and an easy trail for off roading. Saw a few stock trucks and SUVs on the trail.

ohv/off road driving

Awesome time, spot at the top of the western peak is blocked by snow still but you can get to the eastern peak with an even more beautiful view

ohv/off road driving

Trail update. Snow is still covering both trails beyond each mine. We ended up camping before the Santiago ghost town and it was beautiful up there. If you’re trying to make it all the way to the top of either trails, hold off a few more weeks for the snow to run off. 4runner TRD ORP 3”lift

ohv/off road driving

I did this trail in 2017 in my stock Sequoia — easy and incredibly scenic. At this time there‘s several feet of snow blocking the majority of the trail. You can’t get further than the Waldorf mine.

ohv/off road driving

2001 f150 1.5" lift, stock tires. Beginning of trail is very rocky, took it slow no problems. 2 dips overall that were a challenge due to a snow shelf that had broken off. No mud. Turned around at about the 3.5 mile mark due to the trail being thoroughly snow covered with about 6 inches. Up until this point trail is great. I saw about 3 tracks that continued on so it's certainly traversable. I would most likely have gotten stuck as I was by myself. If you have 2 jeeps or just a winch i'd go for it. Worth the trip from Denver.

ohv/off road driving

very rocky, if it is too much for you take Guanella Pass rd all the way to Bailey, beautiful views and a few snow melt waterfalls along the route 18' Outlander 4x4

ohv/off road driving

It’s June 9 2019 and there still a lot of snow blocking the majority of this trail I got to maybe 2 miles in and couldn’t go any farther. 2+ft of snow there are a few campsites open along the trail

ohv/off road driving

Drove up about 3 miles and hit deep snow and ice, had to turn around. We hit a few ice patches on the way up but nothing big until we couldn’t advance anymore.

Sat May 25 2019

(September 2018) Great trail with fantastic views all along the way. Dense forest leading up to the house along the trail. We have seen several moose on this trail over the years.