Arbaney Kittle Trail

Arbaney Kittle Trail is a 20.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Basalt, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 20.6 miles Elevation Gain: 4,803 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Wonderful trail with unreal views! VERY steep though - made the mistake of choosing it as my first hike in Colorado with zero conditioning... my legs are quite sore. Took my pup with me and she loves it! Definitely wear your hiking boots and be sure to look back every once in a while. The view will take your breath away!

It is a very steep up and then down. The locals use this as their workout before and after work. Nice trail. Once I got to the “locals top” I thought the trail was a bit uninteresting and tough to follow. I think best for a quick way to get your heart rate up, see cute dogs, and come back down. About 2 hours total for me. Younger people can whip this out in 1.5 hours or less.

I did the entire 20+ mile trail and there are some important things to note. First, there is a spring drizzling out of a pipe over a trough around 7.4 miles in. This is the only source of water. Secondly, DO NOT follow the AllTrails path after this point. Instead use the visual cues set up by rangers (stick and logs, etc) to guide you to the end. The old route is blocked by fallen trees, goes over dangerous crumbling rock slides, and is very very easy to lose. I went this way coming back and deeply regretted it.

Beautiful hike. Steep from the trailhead to the overlook but a wonderful view. Continued on for maybe 6 miles into the 10 before turning back. No snow, not wet at all, good conditions. We turned around after seeing a brown-colored bear from maybe 50m away, but we were both minding our business.

The trail is dry and good to go up to the overlook. I didn’t hike any further then that.

Hiked in early April, some spots snowy and muddy but overall good hike as long as you are wearing hiking boots! Nice views of aspen highlands and buttermilk!

Mon Sep 03 2018

Ass kicking great 1 3/4 hour out and back hike from trail head.

Sat Jul 07 2018

I was pretty surprised at the high rating for this trail. Coming from Basalt, the first 1.6 miles are a great climb that end on a large open area; you are rewarded with fantastic views down valley. The next mile is an easy uphill climb where the views improve slightly at a few small lookouts. After that, this hike is bland. The trail is flat and fully exposed—no tree cover, only small thorny shrubs. There are no comfortable stopping points, or large rock groupings to rest for a snack. I didn’t take any pictures, as most of the area was dry open fields of shrubs. If you come from the Basalt area, stop at the first overlook and save your day for another activity.

Mon Mar 26 2018

hard uphill. need very strong legs to bike this trail from basalt up

Thu Mar 15 2018

awesome bike workout

Tue Oct 31 2017

up hill all the way what a work out my first time I did the whole thing it's incredible

Mon Jun 26 2017

Great views. Very steep.

Sun Jun 25 2017

This hike is incredible. I started out taking the 'easy' way, and just did the harder trail yesterday. It is a tough hike, but it is definitely worth the effort.

Wed Jun 21 2017

Pretty tough incline the whole way. Beautiful views though.

Thu Jun 15 2017

The views at the top are so beautiful.

Mon May 22 2017

Great hike to get your heart rate up, it's a good climb! You get some great views as you go, we even found a hidden swing from the #aspenswingproject! I only wish dog owners would be responsible and clean up after their dogs, and no, picking it up with a plastic bag and then leaving said plastic bag on the side of the trail doesn't count.

Sun Apr 30 2017

This is a really good hike to get your heart going. Really great to bring your dog too

Sun Oct 28 2018