Arapaho Pass Trail

Arapaho Pass Trail is a 6.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Tabernash, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is best used from June until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Eldora: Travel west on CR #130 and northwest on CR #111 to the 4th of July/Buckingham Park Campground. Hiking alternatives include Diamond Lake Trail from Hessie, Arapaho Glacier Trail from Rainbow Lakes, and Arapaho Pass from Monarch Lake (Hot Sulfur District).

*** (October 20th) 4th of July Road is very slippery right now and snow/ice covered in spots. Recommended to have good winter or A/T tires and 4wd ***

One of my favorite hikes in the front range. Amazing views the entire way and best of all it’s dog friendly! If you’re going in late September or later I’d recommend some sort of traction device on your feet for the icy spots in the shade near the beginning.

Believe all the reviews here and on the Arapaho Pass Trail to Dorothy Lake.
The road to get to the trailhead is much more comfortably done in an SUV with high ground clearance. It's very much off-roading. Also note, you'll see cars parked along the road throughout. It's worth gambling to see if you can get a spot right by the trailhead, especially if you're not hiking during peak hours. We arrived around 10am and found a spot by the trailhead easily.
The hike itself is absolutely stunning. It's not very hard, but does steeply incline throughout. There weren't any areas that were of concern for us with our three dogs. It was very crowded. We passed people along the way, but never felt like we were in a line of people or crowded.
The base of the hike will be warm (we hiked in September), but as you go up, make sure to have plenty of layers. I'm not a naturally cold person and I ended up with a sweatshirt and windproof shell at the top. I would also recommend you bring plenty of water for you and your pup. Even though you're not climbing too high in altitude, it will still wear on you.
The view is definitely worth it, but be prepared for intense wind at the top. Being prepared will make taking in those views a little bit more comfortable.

So gorgeous the whole way! Decently challenging footing ranging from red dirt to loose rock with creeks passing over the trail. Mostly an incline the entire way but nothing too steep. The parking lot is 4x4 access only at the moment (looks like rain came through and rutted the drive but there is some limited parking for other cars along the road in parallel spots.

Wonderful hike. I try to do it once a year. Summer conditions aside from a few snow patches that are totally passable. Still wet and muddy, but nothing hiking boots can't handle. Do beware that the road up is rough - saw several sedans turn back on my way down, so 4x4 is the best way to go!

Did this hike on a beautiful Saturday! Took about two hours to get to the top of the pass with an active pace and minimal stoppage time. There were numerous snow field crossings along the way, nothing longer than a few hundred feet usually. Most of the crossings have a tamped down path you can follow to avoid post holing, although this still happened to me at a few points on the way down. I brought microspikes but only used them once as it was more effort put them on and take them off than it was to walk across the snow without them. I would recommend boots though as the trail became really muddy in parts as the day warmed up. Also there are several stream/water crossing. Nothing serious at all and all passable, but much easier to cross when you aren't concerned with getting your foot wear wet. I had shorts and gaitors with a quarterzip midlayer and was a great temp. Very glad I had the gaitors too for when i did post hole/kick up water. It was quite windy at the top of the pass (I was reading a steady 15-20MPH), and I was glad to have another layer then. There are also a few rock windblocks built along the ridge which can shield you from the wind. Also remember sunscreen, much of this hike is exposed, with the last mile or so being at or past the treeline. Anything I forgot to apply sunscreen to got burned pretty badly. Way down took me about two hours as I took my time and stopped places I passed by on the way up because I wanted to get up. Could probably make it down in 1.5 hrs or less if you wanted. Road was fine and both the Arapahoe Lake and Caribou lake trail seemed passable albeit exposed. Gorgeous hike!

Great hike. Decent amount of snow on upper section. 6-1-18 amazing views the whole hike and especially at the top.

Wednesday, October 04, 2017

seriously beautiful trail. went up the 1st October with 6in to 1ft snow so dress warm and get out the take tracks.

Sunday, September 24, 2017

Beautiful views and easy trail to navigate. Definitely recommend bringing layers as well!

Monday, September 11, 2017

Loved it, made it to 11,525(switched over to the glacier trail at the end), bring some layers.

Wednesday, July 05, 2017

Continued past the 4th of July mine trail! Great views across the ridge!! Next time would continue to the lake below!!

Monday, June 12, 2017

Stunning views at the top! Would love to hike this one again once the wild flowers bloom.

We started at about eight this morning and ran into very few people on the way up. About halfway back down we started running into a lot more people.

There's still plenty of snow on the trail. Some patches were pretty icy on the way up. Totally passable for anyone in hiking boots.

Sunday, March 08, 2015

I have hiked this several time. What can I say Beautiful hike.

Sunday, September 28, 2014

Awesome trail. The start can be a bit busy until the split from Diamond lake, but then the trail is much less traveled than Diamond lake. That isn't to say you wont see lots of people, but it seemed so spaced out that it didn't feel busy. The parking can get busy so I'd get there before 10am to get a good spot. As for the trail, it's great and leads up to awesome views. Walking on the continental divide is always fun as well. You do cross lots of little streams and while you can stay dry, water proof shoes are always nice.

Sunday, June 10, 2012

It was a cold and windy may hike... The trail was very well maintained and there were plenty of little furry critters to keep you company the whole way. The views from the top were breathtaking. Bring you windbreaker though! South Arapaho peak it a short jog north, maybe 45 minutes, beware though that there are many false summits. Great Trail

recorded